Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Pretty sure I've asked before but I can't be assed to look

If I grabbed Revelations 2 for the Switch I have to replay the story I don't care about to get Raid mode correct?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Morpheus posted:

So I didn't realize a trailer for the System Shock remake came out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oDAppJ8HuIM

As someone who loving loved SS2 (probably one of my fav games of all time tbh), but never played the original, I'm really interested in this. I hope it isn't just an FPS, and retains a bunch of the other elements that the original did.

Edit: 2022 the year of horror in space

OG SS was very much an FPS infested with hitscan enemies so if it's as blandly 1:1 as it's been looking thus far I'd set my expectations low.

SS1 was not much like modern immersive sims, you'd really have to look to Ultima Underworld for that. SS1 was non-linear and encouraged exploration but you spent a ton of time murking respawnig enemies.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

To be fair SS2 also had constantly respawning enemies and I'd argue the only reason it ended up the way it did is because the limitations of 3D at the time meant they could only render like 2-3 enemies max so the resulting game is a lot slower paced. SS1 is a lot more combat heavy but it's also a lot more focused on navigation and secrets.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Len posted:

Pretty sure I've asked before but I can't be assed to look

If I grabbed Revelations 2 for the Switch I have to replay the story I don't care about to get Raid mode correct?

Yeah you have to beat the game once to get raid mode.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

OG SS was very much an FPS infested with hitscan enemies so if it's as blandly 1:1 as it's been looking thus far I'd set my expectations low.

SS1 was not much like modern immersive sims, you'd really have to look to Ultima Underworld for that. SS1 was non-linear and encouraged exploration but you spent a ton of time murking respawnig enemies.

The only level I remember being a pain in the arse with respawning enemies was the maintenance level, and that was mostly because it was those invisible fucks and it took a while to get through the whole flood.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Hopefully they avoid both old game and modern game trends of your weapons only really taking off once you reach optimal capability or against something specifically weak to them. Which came to mind when I replayed SS2 last year.

Before replaying SS2: "The shotgun was overpowered. It kills mutants good in the lategame."
During replaying SS2: "Ugh, I can't even one shot a monkey or stationary egg with the shotgun yet. I still need to finish upgrading the shotgun and maybe also get the OS upgrade for damage."
After replaying SS2: "The shotgun killed mutants good in the lategame, shotgun was overpowered-wait a minute..."

Stuff like that is why these days I sigh when I hear people complain about things like the plasma cutter in dead space, because listening to that is how you try to use the flamethrower for variety and are poo poo out of luck when they put you in a "Flamethrower don't work in outer space, idiot!" segment, go back to the Plasma cutter that actually works, and are treated like you and the plasma cutter are the problem when you stick with it from there.

Which leads back to thinking about System Shock 2 "Pistols are overpowered!", and then throwing my EMP rifle onto the floor in frustration to just dual wield the bullets pistol and the laser pistol.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

joylessdivision posted:

Yeah you have to beat the game once to get raid mode.

Is this a switch only thing? I never beat the story mode of Rev2 and just jumped right in to Raid mode on PC. There are some characters locked behind beating the story but that's all I saw

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

Evil Kit posted:

Is this a switch only thing? I never beat the story mode of Rev2 and just jumped right in to Raid mode on PC. There are some characters locked behind beating the story but that's all I saw

its unlocked from the getgo in 2, the first needs the story to be beaten, i havent finished the story and have hundreds of hours in raid mode on my switch

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
I can't believe Routine is coming back.

I really hope they keep the super low refresh rate on the multitool nightvision module because that seemed like one of the most pant making GBS threads game mechanics I've ever seen.

Also apparently Mick Gordon is involved so that's great.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

7c Nickel posted:

I really hope they keep the super low refresh rate on the multitool nightvision module because that seemed like one of the most pant making GBS threads game mechanics I've ever seen.

First I've heard of Routine. There's an 8 year old gameplay trailer on YouTube, was it in dev hell or something?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

WattsvilleBlues posted:

First I've heard of Routine. There's an 8 year old gameplay trailer on YouTube, was it in dev hell or something?

nobody knows, they released some teaser stuff and then nothing

there is a pretty fun little mini rant where they accuse alien isolation of ripping them off though

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Len posted:

nobody knows, they released some teaser stuff and then nothing

there is a pretty fun little mini rant where they accuse alien isolation of ripping them off though

Alien: Isolation that shipped the same year as their trailer? Pah. Great game that, one of my all time favourites.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Alien: Isolation that shipped the same year as their trailer? Pah. Great game that, one of my all time favourites.

Yes that one, if you search back through the thread you'll see the rant referenced but I don't see a link

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Alien rip-off board game Nemesis is getting an Alien Isolation rip off video game!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LHm8uDv0vs4

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

The_Doctor posted:

Alien rip-off board game Nemesis is getting an Alien Isolation rip off video game!

I played that game once. I was a man in a wheelchair and I ended up with multiple aliens in me and then died

The game continued without me for another two hours

Long boardgames should not have player elimination

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I remember SU&SD saying that was a huge problem with the board game.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

It’s a difficult problem to solve for horror board games but ideally they should take a page out of Among Us and have you play a ghost with limited actions or pull a Thing and make you a minor badguy.

I still think Betrayal does it best where the horror event is the big climax at the end instead of being the whole game like the Arkham titles.

al-azad fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Jun 19, 2022

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

A guy at my local parlor brought Cthulhu Death May Die in recently after hyping it up as one of the best Cthulhu games

It was okay I guess, not the worst I've played at least, but the fact I got to be actual Rasputin was pretty rad. And I just punched Hastur to death because as it turns out he's real weak to being punched

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

The_Doctor posted:

Ugh looks like they're bringing the murder objectives, by far the worst part about nemesis, into the game. Could really be a fun multiplayer survive-the-aliens kinda game but nope

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Len posted:

A guy at my local parlor brought Cthulhu Death May Die in recently after hyping it up as one of the best Cthulhu games

It was okay I guess, not the worst I've played at least, but the fact I got to be actual Rasputin was pretty rad. And I just punched Hastur to death because as it turns out he's real weak to being punched

Everybody's all "oh these eldritch horrors, you know guns do nothing" and it never occurs to than to just give Hastur a smack in the face.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

The great old ones are all wimpy nerds, the whole reason they look all mind-boggly is to keep you from getting close enough to hit them with something.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

It's like that one Buffy episode with the demon who was said to be totally impervious to all weapons but they figured out that those accounts were written a thousand years ago when all weapons were just variations of metal on stick so they killed him easily with a bazooka.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Captain Hygiene posted:

The great old ones are all wimpy nerds, the whole reason they look all mind-boggly is to keep you from getting close enough to hit them with something.

Cthulhu is canonically weak to being hit by a boat

"Stars weren't right" my rear end, dude ran away like a coward

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Len posted:

Cthulhu is canonically weak to being hit by a boat

"Stars weren't right" my rear end, dude ran away like a coward

We are like ants to the Old Ones. Specifically in the sense that if ants got together, built a battering ram, and used it to plow into your shins then you'd probably be getting the hell out of dodge even it it didn't hurt because those ants are too smart.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I have run away and frantically yanked my pants off when ants crawled up in there and bit me on the butt, so I would say that's not unreasonable

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Cthulhu got stung by a bee and smacked the snooze button, he ain’t got time for that poo poo.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

He was beaten by a two masted schooner from the 20s

Imagine what hitting him with a modern boat could do, get reckt scrublord

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

'I'm going back to sleep, but only because I want too. Also I totally could have kicked your rear end if i felt like it, which I don't... '

moonmazed
Dec 27, 2021

by VideoGames

Len posted:

He was beaten by a two masted schooner from the 20s

Imagine what hitting him with a modern boat could do, get reckt scrublord

thunder child vs cthulhu

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Evil Kit posted:

Here, have a video. Spoiler'd of course, for those who are arachonobic.

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/789881673092562944/985283577480642671/SPOILER_arachnophobie_beware.mp4

edit: guess spoiler tags prevents the video from embedding and just downloads it. Hm. Eh, it'll work I guess.

Spider tech is getting pretty advanced. Now i just need a spider-patting game

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Hell it's 2022, can he even be scarier than modern day internet?

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?
the stars were right for taking x4 Boat Damage

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I take more psychic damage going through my timeline than any Lovecraftian mythos. Maybe eldritch horror was humanity all along.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

7c Nickel posted:

It's pretty amazing but also i definitely won't believe it until i have it and am playing it

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Improbable Lobster posted:

It's pretty amazing but also i definitely won't believe it until i have it and am playing it

Here's your first post in this thread, from 8 years ago.

Improbable Lobster posted:

Man, I hope Routine isn't far off. I want my space floppies.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Morpheus posted:

So I didn't realize a trailer for the System Shock remake came out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oDAppJ8HuIM

As someone who loving loved SS2 (probably one of my fav games of all time tbh), but never played the original, I'm really interested in this. I hope it isn't just an FPS, and retains a bunch of the other elements that the original did.

Edit: 2022 the year of horror in space

This looks great, god drat.

WattsvilleBlues posted:

They basically found that their game wasn't that fun, had to restart but didn't have any funding anymore so the project was shelved.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Proper modern day Mythos horror would be easy by basing the long term plot around the concept of ‘humanity is on the verge of creating its own Great One and becoming a Servitor Race’ and it turns out the stars going right and all the other old ones waking up is actually to bear witness to the event and celebrate it

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Related to the current topic

https://twitter.com/WeirdMedieval/status/1538834599337463808?t=OrFcW73L1r3g6q_uexGVyQ&s=19

I'm not a theologian but I think a punch from Virgin Mary might have some powers normal people's punches don't have vis a vis pummeling the Devil.

FreudianSlippers fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Jun 21, 2022

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

He’s going to explode like it’s Fist of the North Star

preach the heresy of Mary’s insane power levels

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

sigher posted:

This looks great, god drat.

They basically found that their game wasn't that fun, had to restart but didn't have any funding anymore so the project was shelved.

Ah cheers, fingers crossed for this one then.

I still have tears that we'll never see an Alien Isolation sequel. That game was a masterpiece. Apparently the average playtime to complete is 16 hours. According to Steam, it took me 28 hours, basically meaning I spent 12 hours hiding, which checks out. One of the most incredible horror experiences I've had in any media.