Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Motronic posted:

All of this should be in the home automation thread where it's been covered ad nauseum: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3635963

Also, all IoT stuff is inherently garbage. There are better ways to do this. The only application for phillips hue is for people renting apartments. Everyone else can and should do better because you're allowed to change the wiring in your own home.

Oh, thanks! Didn't know we had one of those. Not that I would have been interested before this week . . .

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Insurrectum posted:

I also have a cat that pees on everything—all the couches are covered in waterproof covers, and I put pee pads on top of those so I don't have to do laundry every other day. Works okay but the room constantly smells like cat piss. We just clean it before guests come. Cat just loves (and has always loved) peeing on soft surfaces.

So we're just going to sleep on this?

:wtc:

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Yeaaahhhhh I came close but restraint won. Please don’t let your animals piss everywhere and do something to neutralize the bacteria in the air as well.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I’m pretty happy with what all my Hue bulbs give me in exchange for not having to do a massive amount of drywall work and wiring. They’re for sure a lot better than all the knockoff brands that pop up.

I also don’t give the slightest gently caress about what the computer touchers complain about with IoT so enjoy my botnets.

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Jun 19, 2022

Insurrectum
Nov 1, 2005

Cyrano4747 posted:

So we're just going to sleep on this?

:wtc:

What's there to say? Cat loves to pee on the pee pads we put on the couch, and would pee on the couch if we didn't use those. We also have two litter boxes we clean out daily and put clean disposable pee pads on the floor next to the litter boxes. Cat has no health issues, just prefers to pee on soft surfaces. Better pee pads (which are washed once a week, although she soils them after a day or two) than having to remove the zip-on waterproof cover. Or, sans that, ruining the couch itself.

The Dave posted:

Yeaaahhhhh I came close but restraint won. Please don’t let your animals piss everywhere and do something to neutralize the bacteria in the air as well.

My bad, I forgot I could just gently explain to the cat in English where she can and cannot piss. Also, bacteria from cat piss aren't in the air, they're embedded in the fabric/soft material, which is what makes it near impossible to fully remove without a full wash/rinse cycle in a washing machine. The smell in the air is ammonia.

sexy tiger boobs
Aug 23, 2002

Up shit creek with a turd for a paddle.

Your cat probably keeps peeing there because it smells like cat piss. They aren't rubbing their junk on the soft surface.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

A cat just using your living room as a toilet is a pretty huge problem. At that point I'd be talking to a vet to find out why the gently caress my cat is pissing on my couch.

Other option: somehow keep the cat out of the room its pisisng in non stop.

I've got pets. I love my pets. But having my living room turn into an animal outhouse is where i'd have to look at getting rid of that pet.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Cyrano4747 posted:

A cat just using your living room as a toilet is a pretty huge problem. At that point I'd be talking to a vet to find out why the gently caress my cat is pissing on my couch.

I've got pets. I love my pets. But having my living room turn into an animal outhouse is where i'd have to look at getting rid of that pet.
One of our cats became an indoor/outdoor pet after he, a former feral, insisted on peeing inside the house. Getting access to the outdoors stopped that. We had tried everything else first; our vet agreed that this was the remaining alternative.

Insurrectum
Nov 1, 2005

sexy tiger boobs posted:

Your cat probably keeps peeing there because it smells like cat piss. They aren't rubbing their junk on the soft surface.

That's what I thought, until I bought a new couch and the cat decided to piss on it after a few weeks, for no particular reason (that we could discern). It's not just the pre-existing cat piss smell. My grandfather had a cat that always peed in his shoes when he went away for more than a few days. Cats can be weird.

Cyrano4747 posted:

As I said, no health problems. No environment effects or common stressors, as this has happened over 6-7 apartments and houses. Confirmed by countless vet appointments over the cat's life. If the cat was kept out of that room, she'd just end up peeing somewhere else. Might as well keep it contained to where we know where she's going to pee and we can clean it up. It's real easy to say poo poo like "just get rid of the cat!", but with a 14 year old cat you're basically saying "just kill the cat," because who wants to adopt a geriatric piss-happy pet. Telling your significant other you want to put down their pet because you find it inconvenient/smelly is like a bad r/AITA story.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

I mean "my cat is pissing in the living room and the only solution is to put down pee pads and cover the couch" isn't a solution. It's just giving up one room of your house for a pet to turn into a toilet.

Also no matter how much you think you clean it before guests come over, I'm willing to bet that it loving REEKS of cat piss to them. You're almost certainly nose blind to it at this point, and the fact that you think that room normally smells like piss means that it really stinks of piss.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Had a cat growing up what would poo poo I the bath. This was the UK so was an outdoor cat as rabies is not a concern etc….

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Lmao that this thread has had two cat piss soaked houses in the last few months.

:piss:

In regard to the hue bulbs, they’re great for adding dimmable bulbs to non dimming switches. Setup and control is easy, and as a light source they work quite well.

They’re also HomeKit compatible (with the bridge, which is fairly inexpensive), so while Hue’s app sucks, you can use the apple home app or any of the other HomeKit apps. Or you could expose to home assistant or homebridge or whatever.

They’re very expensive. But for renters they’re the best option by fuckin miles.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

This is the grossest thing in this thread since the guy with the high water table and poop turds floating around in his garden

1) your wife loves you very very much to put up with this
2) your guests can absolutely smell the stench when they come over

That cat is now an outdoor only cat

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Motronic posted:

All of this should be in the home automation thread where it's been covered ad nauseum: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3635963

Also, all IoT stuff is inherently garbage. There are better ways to do this. The only application for phillips hue is for people renting apartments. Everyone else can and should do better because you're allowed to change the wiring in your own home.

What would it cost to replicate the full functionality and flexibility of an IoT bulb that can be individually or zone scheduled down to color temp or even color via rewiring your house, and how much computer janitoring would you have to do? How much would rewiring just for centralized zone dimmer control of your whole house cost?

Don't get me wrong I'm not an IoT guy myself but "screw in a bulb and set up via app" vs. substantial rewiring and automation control design is a big difference in cost and functionality.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Insurrectum posted:

That's what I thought, until I bought a new couch and the cat decided to piss on it after a few weeks

Is your cat declawed? According to one person I was chatting with about your cat they said that can make them not like litter.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

brugroffil posted:

What would it cost to replicate the full functionality and flexibility of an IoT bulb that can be individually or zone scheduled down to color temp or even color via rewiring your house, and how much computer janitoring would you have to do? How much would rewiring just for centralized zone dimmer control of your whole house cost?

Don't get me wrong I'm not an IoT guy myself but "screw in a bulb and set up via app" vs. substantial rewiring and automation control design is a big difference in cost and functionality.

Explain, in detail, your use case for this.

Because "just because it's possible" isn't a use case. People don't need color changing bulbs. People don't USE color changing bulbs past the novelty period. Not people who are old enough to own homes (which is the target audience I'm talking about here).

There are plenty of ways to zone and dim and control color temperature to a reasonable amount, but the most important part of any of this is actually having the right lighting in the right places. Not just one home depot boob light and 4 lovely cans like you have in your rental apartment. When it's your own home you can fix all of this, not just add smart local-control only dimmer switches. So "how much does it cost?" isn't really an answerable question without specifics of the room/space/house.

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad
Agreeing with the color changing bulbs. High CRI LED fixtures that dim well will be far more impactful to a space than RGB. Putting the smart control at the switch allows you to install bulbs that are far brighter and provide better quality light vs. Hue. Switches in logical places are a requirement when you have company, as well.

Moving away from Hue has been one of my favorite parts of being a homeowner.

Going to shill for:
RAB Lighting for reasonably priced, extreme quality recessed lighting plus US based tech support and ridiculously good warranties. Love this company.
Satco or 90+ Lighting for bulbs.
Kichler, Minka Lavery, or Visual Comfort for cool fixtures with dimmable integrated LEDs (but the sky's the limit here)
Lutron RadioRA3 or Caseta for smart switches. Seriously, don't go with anyone else here.

an iksar marauder
May 6, 2022

An iksar marauder glowers at you dubiously -- looks like quite a gamble.
Hue bulbs are a lot cheaper and more modular than changing your wiring. I own my apartment and I use them, with the plan of having the wiring changed once I figure out which lighting I want where. Right now I can adapt them on the fly, I imagine changing your wiring sets some stuff in stone, or at least requires finding some nice people who want to do the job along with a concrete plan.

A lot of times I’ve thought ‘wouldn’t it be nice if…’ and tapping a few buttons just let me see what’s up. Nothing wrong with that if you’ve just been living somewhere for a year or 2 or so imo.

Mainly I want to get one or two rooms renovated, and so it doesn’t really make much sense to screw with wiring before that’s all planned out and underway. And that’s a 3 year plan, so…

I suppose it changes things if you can do electrical work yourself (I don’t want to). I will eventually have smart switches instead of smart bulbs though. Just seems better.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

an iksar marauder posted:

Hue bulbs are a lot cheaper and more modular than changing your wiring. I own my apartment and I use them, with the plan of having the wiring changed once I figure out which lighting I want where. Right now I can adapt them on the fly, I imagine changing your wiring sets some stuff in stone, or at least requires finding some nice people who want to do the job along with a concrete plan.

A lot of times I’ve thought ‘wouldn’t it be nice if…’ and tapping a few buttons just let me see what’s up. Nothing wrong with that if you’ve just been living somewhere for a year or 2 or so imo.

Mainly I want to get one or two rooms renovated, and so it doesn’t really make much sense to screw with wiring before that’s all planned out and underway. And that’s a 3 year plan, so…

I suppose it changes things if you can do electrical work yourself (I don’t want to). I will eventually have smart switches instead of smart bulbs though. Just seems better.

Ignoring fixtures, replacing a switch with a Lutron Caseta is dead simple, and in no way locks you into anything other than wanting all your switches on the same system.

an iksar marauder
May 6, 2022

An iksar marauder glowers at you dubiously -- looks like quite a gamble.

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

Ignoring fixtures, replacing a switch with a Lutron Caseta is dead simple, and in no way locks you into anything other than wanting all your switches on the same system.

I don’t have hue fixtures or anything, so I’ll look into this. Not too much to replace so maybe I’ll get a handy friend to show me the ropes here, thanks.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

lol if you don’t actually set up sweet animated holiday scenes with your bulbs

Insurrectum
Nov 1, 2005

Hadlock posted:

This is the grossest thing in this thread since the guy with the high water table and poop turds floating around in his garden

1) your wife loves you very very much to put up with this
2) your guests can absolutely smell the stench when they come over

That cat is now an outdoor only cat

1) It's my wife's cat, and she's the one who doesn't have a good sense of smell
2) The cat pees on the pee pads, which get washed before guests come over. The smell is contained to the pee pads, which is why they exist. If you're able to machine wash/remove the material the cat pissed on, the smell is gone. This isn't a cat spraying the walls or floorboards—it's not getting embedded into the house.

Cyrano4747 posted:

I mean "my cat is pissing in the living room and the only solution is to put down pee pads and cover the couch" isn't a solution. It's just giving up one room of your house for a pet to turn into a toilet.

Also no matter how much you think you clean it before guests come over, I'm willing to bet that it loving REEKS of cat piss to them. You're almost certainly nose blind to it at this point, and the fact that you think that room normally smells like piss means that it really stinks of piss.

I'm not noseblind—I wash the pee pads once a week and am well aware when they've been used by the cat. Again, any alternative is killing the cat: either by making a 14 year old exclusively indoor cat an outdoor cat, or by giving it up to a shelter. That's just not an option.

H110Hawk posted:

Is your cat declawed? According to one person I was chatting with about your cat they said that can make them not like litter.

Nope, fully intact claws (and spayed as a kitten). Again, the cat has always just preferred peeing on soft surfaces for some unknown reason. We've also tried all the "calming" pheromone cat products, in addition to kitty prozac (which is just regular prozac but in cat dosages). No dice

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Insurrectum posted:

1) It's my wife's cat, and she's the one who doesn't have a good sense of smell
2) The cat pees on the pee pads, which get washed before guests come over. The smell is contained to the pee pads, which is why they exist. If you're able to machine wash/remove the material the cat pissed on, the smell is gone. This isn't a cat spraying the walls or floorboards—it's not getting embedded into the house.

I'm not noseblind—I wash the pee pads once a week and am well aware when they've been used by the cat. Again, any alternative is killing the cat: either by making a 14 year old exclusively indoor cat an outdoor cat, or by giving it up to a shelter. That's just not an option.

Nope, fully intact claws (and spayed as a kitten). Again, the cat has always just preferred peeing on soft surfaces for some unknown reason. We've also tried all the "calming" pheromone cat products, in addition to kitty prozac (which is just regular prozac but in cat dosages). No dice

House Ownership: I wash the pee pads once a week

Lmao your house smells like cat piss. Always and horrifically.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Insurrectum posted:

The cat pees on the pee pads, which get washed before guests come over. The smell is contained to the pee pads

No it isn't.

Insurrectum posted:

I'm not noseblind

Yes, you are.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TlsOzSinCF4

Insurrectum
Nov 1, 2005

Motronic posted:

No it isn't.
Yes it is.

quote:

Yes, you are.
No, I'm not.

(quality of reply begets quality of response)

edit^^^^ THAT's a quality response

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

KS posted:

Going to shill for:
RAB Lighting for reasonably priced, extreme quality recessed lighting plus US based tech support and ridiculously good warranties. Love this company.
Satco or 90+ Lighting for bulbs.
Kichler, Minka Lavery, or Visual Comfort for cool fixtures with dimmable integrated LEDs (but the sky's the limit here)
Lutron RadioRA3 or Caseta for smart switches. Seriously, don't go with anyone else here.

Just to confirm, these are all for homeowners and not renters, yeah?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Insurrectum posted:

Yes it is.

No, I'm not.

(quality of reply begets quality of response)

That's fair enough for a comedy forum.

So realtalk: you can't smell your own stink. Not only your own home stinks but you are likely to smell of cat piss.

I'm not sure what scientific evidence you need for this, because everyone who's been around someone who has cats that piss all over their house already knows this. Or even people with cats who don't clean the litter box enough. And even worse if they've actually been to their house.

I'm sorry this is difficult to hear and that people aren't telling you this in person because of decorum, but your house stinks like cat piss.

And if you want to do anything about it you badly need some enzyme cleaner, because regular laundry detergent isn't gonna do it. And you're not able to get everything into your washer that needs to be in there, like the rest of your sofa.

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad

Zarin posted:

Just to confirm, these are all for homeowners and not renters, yeah?

I've replaced some isolated switches in rentals, but yeah, in general that was for homeowners who are aiming to replace fixtures and control with smart switches. Smart bulbs are pretty nice if you can't do that.

Switches can be more economical, too. If you have 6 downlights, 1 smart dimmer and 6 top-of-the-line pucks are cheaper than 6 Hue bulbs.

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out

Motronic posted:

So realtalk: you can't smell your own stink. Not only your own home stinks but you are likely to smell of cat piss.

I'm not sure what scientific evidence you need for this, because everyone who's been around someone who has cats that piss all over their house already knows this. Or even people with cats who don't clean the litter box enough. And even worse if they've actually been to their house.

I'm sorry this is difficult to hear and that people aren't telling you this in person because of decorum, but your house stinks like cat piss.

And if you want to do anything about it you badly need some enzyme cleaner, because regular laundry detergent isn't gonna do it. And you're not able to get everything into your washer that needs to be in there, like the rest of your sofa.

Best use of :biotruths: ever

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Motronic posted:

Explain, in detail, your use case for this.

Because "just because it's possible" isn't a use case. People don't need color changing bulbs. People don't USE color changing bulbs past the novelty period. Not people who are old enough to own homes (which is the target audience I'm talking about here).

There are plenty of ways to zone and dim and control color temperature to a reasonable amount, but the most important part of any of this is actually having the right lighting in the right places. Not just one home depot boob light and 4 lovely cans like you have in your rental apartment. When it's your own home you can fix all of this, not just add smart local-control only dimmer switches. So "how much does it cost?" isn't really an answerable question without specifics of the room/space/house.

I'm not defining a specific use case because I don't care about that stuff, but "just rewire your house and replace/add a bunch of light fixtures" is $$$-$$$$$ solution in most if not all cases. Ignoring that sort of hurdle seems counterproductive. Obviously Phillips hue has found a market.

Part of finding the optimal design solution for a building is considering budget, whether it's a $xxx home lighting upgrade or a $xxx,xxx,xxx keystone development. "Just drop a few thousand or more to hire an electrician" isn't necessarily the best answer for all cases.

brugroffil fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Jun 20, 2022

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

KS posted:

I've replaced some isolated switches in rentals, but yeah, in general that was for homeowners who are aiming to replace fixtures and control with smart switches. Smart bulbs are pretty nice if you can't do that.

Switches can be more economical, too. If you have 6 downlights, 1 smart dimmer and 6 top-of-the-line pucks are cheaper than 6 Hue bulbs.

Gotcha. Okay, thanks! Not sure how much longer I will be renting - at least a year, probably more - so that's good info both for now and the future!

Insurrectum
Nov 1, 2005

Motronic posted:

It really doesn't, though. I travel for several weeks at a time for work regularly, and when I return all I smell is the faint odor of old paint. The pee is stored in the balls*

*waterproof pee pads

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

brugroffil posted:

I'm not defining a specific use case because I don't care about that stuff, but "just rewire your house and replace/add a bunch of light fixtures" is $$$-$$$$$ solution in most if not all cases.

No, it's not. You don't seem to understand the market or costs.

brugroffil posted:

Ignoring that sort of hurdle seems counterproductive. Obviously Phillips hue has found a market.

They have in fact found a market: renters. And people who don't know any better who aren't renting.

I assure you it doesn't cost hundreds of dollars per bulb (because you're doing it at the switch) if you have a plan even if you have to hire it out.

Dig in if you like, but specifics matter and I've actually bought and installed this stuff in multiple places of my own, friends, and customers. So.....go ahead and ask questions.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

brugroffil posted:

I'm not defining a specific use case because I don't care about that stuff, but "just rewire your house and replace/add a bunch of light fixtures" is $$$-$$$$$ solution in most if not all cases. Ignoring that sort of hurdle seems counterproductive. Obviously Phillips hue has found a market.

Part of finding the optimal design solution for a building is considering budget, whether it's a $xxx home lighting upgrade or a $xxx,xxx,xxx keystone development. "Just drop a few thousand or more to hire an electrician" isn't necessarily the best answer for all cases.

It's hard to give real world quotes on this without sample use cases, but for a few hundred you can get started from nothing to controlling a few light switches with Home Assistant. Have a gander over here at various stuff you can integrate: https://www.home-assistant.io/integrations/ Additional integrations are just the raw cost of the device.

Motronic is inferring that the sky is the limit on this garbage, even using all commodity equipment that supports zwave or similar. If you want to control each light individually then you have to wire them individually (or get zwave lights.) Hue costs an exceptionally large amount because they currently have the market cornered for true turn-key setup, no fussing with electricity required. And they were first to market. I imagine over time that will fade a bit, but I imagine they have another 10 years of market dominance at least.

Insurrectum
Nov 1, 2005

Non piss-related question: Any advice on whole-house energy monitors that can be placed in the breaker box, and preferably have a decent user-accessible endpoint? And if not the latter, at least a relatively nice web interface. Really looking to track our house's energy usage more closely.

Similarly, any recommendations for remote water supply interrupts? I have water sensors throughout the house, but would like the ability to remotely shut off the main. Don't need any "smart" features that try to do it for me, I just want the remote access to a valve.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Are you looking for ones powered by electric, gas, or cat piss?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

brugroffil posted:

I think when he says "wire the house" he means "replace the switch" which is a far more palatable approach. Unless you happen to be in a house without neutral wiring, in which case I think you still have a few options for smart switches. I'm fully aware of what I can do with that approach and I fully do not give a poo poo; I'm happy with my Hue bulbs and the ability to set colors and moods. If you're not interested in that, though, then you can save money with a smart switch setup.

But if you aren't handy enough to be able to wire a switch and deal with junction boxes that are always way too drat small for big honkin' dimmers then yes you will be paying a fuckload of money for contractors.

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Jun 20, 2022

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Tiny Timbs posted:

I think when he says "wire the house" he means "replace the switch" which is a far more palatable approach. Unless you happen to be in a house without neutral wiring, in which case I think you still have a few options for smart switches. I'm fully aware of what I can do with that approach and I fully do not give a poo poo; I'm happy with my Hue bulbs and the ability to set colors and moods. If you're not interested in that, though, then you can save money with a smart switch setup.

But if you aren't handy enough to be able to wire a switch and deal with junction boxes that are always way too drat small for big honkin' dimmers then yes you will be paying a fuckload of money for contractors.

Lutron Casetas (generally the gold standard for this stuff) don’t need a neutral.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Insurrectum posted:

Non piss-related question: Any advice on whole-house energy monitors that can be placed in the breaker box, and preferably have a decent user-accessible endpoint? And if not the latter, at least a relatively nice web interface. Really looking to track our house's energy usage more closely.

What are you looking for? The total power usage or total usage plus discrete power usage per breaker or just a few breakers?

There are a bunch of ways to go here depending on what you really need/want. I have a Sense (TM) and it's just fine at reporting total usage but pretty poo poo as "machine learning" each device in my house to report on them individually.