Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Gonna be a very broad and subjective request here: shows with good music. Not just OP and ED music, but the actual soundtrack itself. You get into a rut of watching too many slice of life shows and you get exhausted from all the dithering on piano and comedic trumpet farts or drum banging.

Excluding Kanno or Sawano-scored shows, who's a good composer who really nails a vibe? It doesn't have to he big sweeping orchestra music, just a style that the show completely owns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Arc Hammer posted:

Gonna be a very broad and subjective request here: shows with good music. Not just OP and ED music, but the actual soundtrack itself. You get into a rut of watching too many slice of life shows and you get exhausted from all the dithering on piano and comedic trumpet farts or drum banging.

Excluding Kanno or Sawano-scored shows, who's a good composer who really nails a vibe? It doesn't have to he big sweeping orchestra music, just a style that the show completely owns.

For show OSTs I will always recommend Welcome to the NHK, with a wide variety of tracks for a wide variety of situations and moods.

I feel like you would probably enjoy both Kids on the Slope and Hibike Euphonium, two excellent shows focused on music.

And lastly I feel like Kevin Penkin did a good job with the Made in Abyss soundtrack.

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

~Water flowers every day~

Arc Hammer posted:

Chihayafuru

Megalo Box

Tonkatsu DJ Agetarou

edit: Kyousougiga, as The Colonel mentioned below!

Mentat Radnor fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Jun 19, 2022

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Arc Hammer posted:

kyousougiga has an ost composed by go shiina, the guy who did the tales of legendia and god eater osts and did the music in tales of zestiria people care about, so it has a lot of cool laid-back ambient tracks and a few that sound like jrpg boss themes, plus an obligatory emotional vocal track

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CoHMgy2d9O4

kekkai sensen, same director in s1, different composer (taisei iwasaki) but it has an equally varied ost with lots of jazzier action tracks, much heavier on vocals and lyrics

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=juJkx8lgKzo

.hack//sign, el cazador de la bruja... i guess basically any bee train action show from the 2000s. they all have yuki kajiura on for music and while i like the shows the music is, the most exciting part of their action lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vMsXJyCViLo

Zero_Tactility
Nov 25, 2007

Look into my eyes.

Arc Hammer posted:

The Big O OST is a classic and is used excellently in-context. Smokey sax, mellow jazzy grooves, big brassy orchestral numbers for action scenes.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Arc Hammer posted:

Yuki Hayashi is a personal favorite. He's great at nailing iconic earworms in shows like MHA and Haikyuu.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

Arc Hammer posted:

i've been generally impressed by Kenichirou Suehiro. on Girls Last Tour especially but also has done good work on Golden Kamuy and Shadows House and a couple others

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!
Not sure if it's too old and/or unknown in the US, but Saint Seiya's OST is insane.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

also, slice-of-life shows do have good OSTs sometimes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7oHZarYT54I
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cSWoLvg8WCE

Malsangoroth
Apr 2, 2015

Arc Hammer posted:

Woot, another soundtrack enthusiast! High five! Seconding the Megalobox suggestion, particularly for its second season. Sound Euphonium has the best orchestral scenes you'll find in anime. Madoka Magica's composer was Yuki Kajiura, and if you want to see an anime where the music complements its scenes perfectly, it would fit. Same deal with A Place Further Than The Universe. And I can't not mention the original (and only!) FLCL, which lives and dies on its soundtrack.

The above suggestions are all pretty popular anime, so going into the more out-there territory I'd suggest Gatchaman Crowds for some well-placed electronica / dubstep (yes, really!) OST that works far better when you're not sure what the lyrics are. Carole and Tuesday has the best conventional-pop music you'll find in anime. If you liked Kajiura's works in Madoka Magica then also check out The Garden of Sinners, a series of seven movies in which some are loving great and others are... not so great (cough movie 6 cough).

And finally, yes technically it's not anime but check out Cartoon Saloon's Wolf Walkers, one of the few vestiges of aspiring 2D animation in the west (Irish studio). Great Gaelic music, and if you liked that one then maybe also look for their other two movies for more.

Malsangoroth fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Feb 16, 2023

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
The guy who did the music for Gatchaman Crowds also did Noragami so if you check one out you might try the other too.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Malsangoroth posted:

And I can't not mention the original (and only!) FLCL, which lives and dies on its soundtrack.

And now I will speak of things that should not be spoken, because Prog has the oddest screwups in the soundtrack. It keeps the Pillows, and it uses them well in theory, with good track picks that fit the scenes... but the sound mixing is terrible. Just shockingly bad. I thought the show overall had some virtues, but that sound mixing... no defending it in general. It's just bad. (Ironically, that worked for one scene's benefit... but that's a long, long tangent.)

As for good soundtracks, the limited use of the soundtrack in Gridman helped highlight the gap between the superheroic world of Gridman and Kaiju going against people's daily lives, with "Human Love" playing in a wide variety of forms. I also loved Iron Blooded Orphans's soundtrack.

For upcoming stuff, if the Automata anime matches the game it's going to be absurdly good.

Malsangoroth
Apr 2, 2015

chiasaur11 posted:

And now I will speak of things that should not be spoken, because Prog has the oddest screwups in the soundtrack. It keeps the Pillows, and it uses them well in theory, with good track picks that fit the scenes... but the sound mixing is terrible. Just shockingly bad. I thought the show overall had some virtues, but that sound mixing... no defending it in general. It's just bad. (Ironically, that worked for one scene's benefit... but that's a long, long tangent.)

This is true. As much as I riff on the newer Fooly Coolies for not living up to the original, there are some good elements mixed in there. I'd argue that Progressive's penultimate episode was actually fantastic. But then the ending happened, and it ruined all the good will it had built up to that point. Oh well. Never bothered to watch Alternative after that, and if the upcoming FLCL maintains its sterile 3DCG look that the trailer put proudly on naked display then that's gonna be a paddlin'.

Malsangoroth fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Jun 20, 2022

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
flcl is the most bizarre anime to come back years later with a pile of unnecessary sequels

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

chiasaur11 posted:

Automata anime

WHAT!? :stare:

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Yeah you missed that news back in February. We still don't know much about it other than it's in the works.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Definitely been enjoying the music in Carole and Tuesday even if Carole and Tuesday are the least interesting part of their own show. I appreciate that they got English singers rather than Engrish.

Malsangoroth
Apr 2, 2015

Arc Hammer posted:

Definitely been enjoying the music in Carole and Tuesday even if Carole and Tuesday are the least interesting part of their own show. I appreciate that they got English singers rather than Engrish.

Yeah it's one of the few anime that really took the care to make sure their singers were fluent in English. If I recall correctly, the director mentioned in an interview that he wanted to make an anime about musicians that would actually lead to real-life concert tours -- and it did! The duo that sang for the leads did actually end up going on tour together. Sadly, the ball only really started rolling right before the pandemic came along, and I haven't heard anything about it since :(

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Malsangoroth posted:

Yeah it's one of the few anime that really took the care to make sure their singers were fluent in English. If I recall correctly, the director mentioned in an interview that he wanted to make an anime about musicians that would actually lead to real-life concert tours -- and it did! The duo that sang for the leads did actually end up going on tour together. Sadly, the ball only really started rolling right before the pandemic came along, and I haven't heard anything about it since :(

drat, that sucks worse than the timing for S2’s (US) release…

Scorched Spitz
Dec 12, 2011

Arc Hammer posted:

Still waiting for those Denzel Curry tracks to drop.

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

Arc Hammer posted:

Utena's music owns, great playful emotive score w a new J. A. Seazer jam almost every episode. All Ikuhara's stuff has great music generally. Which brings to mind Revue Starlight, and the second film of that is basically just one big pomo idol action musical.

Kakegurui has a really strong score that really amplifies the action, BECK is a classic that everyone owes themself to experience; RIP Osamu Kobayashi; and for some metal action there's NSFW short series Detroit Metal City(from the director of MushiShi!)

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

Dagger of Kamui has a fuckin baller soundtrack

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
I watched all of ajin on Netflix I think but unless I was very drunk (possible) it never actually had a proper ending. Is that due to the manga not being finished, me being drunk or it being cancelled

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Jose posted:

I watched all of ajin on Netflix I think but unless I was very drunk (possible) it never actually had a proper ending. Is that due to the manga not being finished, me being drunk or it being cancelled

The manga wasn't finished at the time of the anime, so yeah. That's your answer. (Manga finally finished after nine years in 2021)

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Is the ending worth me bothering to read it? I really liked the anime in a way I feel I might not the manga?

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Pootybutt posted:

BECK is a classic that everyone owes themself to experience; RIP Osamu Kobayashi; and for some metal action there's NSFW short series Detroit Metal City(from the director of MushiShi!)

Caveat on dmc, we are watching it as a chaser to beck right now and, you really really have to be okay with late 2000s level (tw) rape jokes

It has some great bits but some of it has aged the same as milk left on a counter over the last decade.

DamnGlitch fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Jun 25, 2022

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
On the topic of things not aging well I tried out Kids On the Slope and while the music and animation is excellent that camp gay affectation from one of the characters made me recoil. It was like the Paulie Shore Pinocchio without any of the irony.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Japan just reconfirmed gay marriage as illegal so it’s safe to say they are backwards on some major cultural issues today as well: https://www.npr.org/2022/06/20/1106313824/japan-court-ban-on-same-sex-marriage-constitutional

Though the Leon type gay character seems to be less prevalent these days.

Worth noting contextually… the US is in the midst of some pretty hardcore cultural backwardness right now too, with sights on some major retrograde poo poo on the horizon :(

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I guess I should say I was watching the dub, so the gay was played up harder (maybe, I don't know what a camp gay affectation sounds like in Japanese.)

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

I don’t recall which character you are referring to in kots so it may be a dub issue, but my go to reference for that kind of stereotype, even though I love the character, is Leon from gurren lagann

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I think his name was Seiji. The dub made him a very "oh haiiiiiiii guyz" gay.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

DamnGlitch posted:

Japan just reconfirmed gay marriage as illegal so it’s safe to say they are backwards on some major cultural issues today as well: https://www.npr.org/2022/06/20/1106313824/japan-court-ban-on-same-sex-marriage-constitutional

Though the Leon type gay character seems to be less prevalent these days.

Worth noting contextually… the US is in the midst of some pretty hardcore cultural backwardness right now too, with sights on some major retrograde poo poo on the horizon :(

It should be pointed out that politicians don't speak for the majority of the population in many instances. Apparently the popularity rate for same sex marriage in Japan is higher than it is in the US

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
why would you base an opinion about Japan on something a dub did

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

As we all know, court rulings tend to reflect the general population's opinion on issues.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the reason the court ruling happened, was because the general population, is pushing on the issue of marriage inequality and was taking it to court. the lesson is that the japanese government works on outdated modes of thought and doesn't care about people, not that japan is homophobic.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Sorry, as I am well aware court rulings, and political systems in general, often don't reflect a populations opinion as a whole, and certainly not small but important subsections of one. However, in some cases they are reflected in cultural products.

I was in a rush to highlight a thing I just saw. I think, in some cases (yet again back to leon), even a somewhat stereotypical role can be a step in the right direction if treated as an archetypical base and not substitute for the entire character. When I commented I did not realize this was about a dub (though to be certain there are some very stereotypical depictions of gays in anime, it having been several years since I watched KOTS I cannot recall the treatment of this character in the original language).

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018
What was the manga about a guy's mom being reincarnated as hush classmate? It was full color if memory serves me right and was pretty deep and emotionally thoughtful.

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

I'm looking for more shows like One Punch Man, Overlord, The Misfit of Demon King Academy, and Cautious Hero.

What they have in common is that the main character is seriously overpowered, but more importantly that when they get into a fight their victory is guaranteed. I like that there's no "will they won't they" tension.

I'm not a fan of shows where the main character is apparently overpowered but still gets into tense fights.

Any recommendations?

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

ahobday posted:

I'm looking for more shows like One Punch Man, Overlord, The Misfit of Demon King Academy, and Cautious Hero.

What they have in common is that the main character is seriously overpowered, but more importantly that when they get into a fight their victory is guaranteed. I like that there's no "will they won't they" tension.

I'm not a fan of shows where the main character is apparently overpowered but still gets into tense fights.

Any recommendations?

Mashle is basically one punch man meets Harry Potter. Currently it's only a manga, but there's recent leaks that an anime is in production, so I'd definitely check it out once it's out.

I think That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Slime hits that note as well, though idk if I'd say it's completely tensionless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

Julias posted:

I think That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Slime hits that note as well, though idk if I'd say it's completely tensionless.

I watched the first season of Slime and enjoyed it. There's some tension, but it's not too bad. I think I bounced off the second season because of all of the society building stuff.