Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zwiebel
Feb 19, 2011

Hi!
Mondstadt is partially a mish mash of european cultures (especially with character names being all over the place), but a lot of it is distinctly german.

Zenostein posted:

People always say Germany for Mond, but it really just feels like "generic western european fantasy land." Might just be with their insistence that the only alcohol they have is dandelion wine that makes it less german-feeling to me.

It's kind of the opposite for me. It makes Mondstadt feel more german.
Viniculture spread throughout central europe as part of the roman conquests. A lot of southwestern and western germanies drinking culture is focused on wine specifically, with wine festivals being held in each town and village during mid summer through fall. It has been a well integrated part of the local culture for 2000 years after all. Some of those wine festivals even end up attracting a good amount of tourists from other neighbouring european nations. While not german, Austria tends to be very big on wine as well. It used to be known for mass exporting sweet and cheap low quality white wines, but some major scandals a few dacedes ago made them change their tune and focus a lot on elevating their wine industry towards fine higher quality wines.
While german flavours of wine might not have the same international esteem as french or spanish wines, Spätburgunder, Riesling, Silvaner, Dornfelder and Müller-Thurgau still get exported far and wide and the german wine industry is quite important to some regions. I personally really like Dornfelder and the lesser known Dunkelfelder, both deep red wines with a somewhat distinct flavour.

Bavaria in southeast germany is the part that is focused on beer culture. Because bavaria was part of the american occupation zone, it ended up being the part americans in particular had the most exposure to and started to promote as distinctly german through their own media in turn.

So Mondstadts focus on wine is actually quite apt for representing a central european culture with a lot of german mixed in.
They mention in some of the background materials that there was just a bunch of smaller cultures and clans around that gradually got absorbed into larger Mondstadt after the fall of Decarabian, which explains some of the oddities.
It's not quite as focused as Liyue or Inazuma.

Although Inazuma kinda fooled everyone with the Watatsumi people being secret greeks that just successfully integrated themselves into the larger culture.

Speaking of, I've been wondering for a while, but where the heck is Sumeru going to be geographically? Is it south of Liyue or to the west of it? Fontaine seems like it'll end up being to the northwest of Liyue, given that the Oceanid was mentioned to be from upstream and they are supposedly a Fontaine thing.

Zwiebel fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Jun 19, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Zwiebel posted:

Speaking of, I've been wondering for a while, but where the heck is Sumeru going to be geographically? Is it south of Liyue or to the west of it? Fontaine seems like it'll end up being to the northwest of Liyue, given that the Oceanid was mentioned to be from upstream and they are supposedly a Fontaine thing.

Pretty much. We see a (mild chasm spoilers) tree in the chasm, that has appears to lead upwards into the light. I bet that has something to do with how we'll reach Sumeru.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

ninjoatse.cx posted:

There's never been a character with so much fanart with so little utility.

Maybe so, but for now she really shreds when I pop Yelan's burst and that's good enough for me right now. Also I do like the sword moveset.

Yuwe
Apr 6, 2009
She has real utility in her teleport, which is pretty good for climbing buildings and such until you get Kazuha or Venti. Even after that though, she still has some niche uses since it moves you at an angle instead of straight up (I wish we could aim it directly upwards though).

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:

Eimi posted:

Maybe so, but for now she really shreds when I pop Yelan's burst and that's good enough for me right now. Also I do like the sword moveset.

Yelan has also slightly noticeably improved Qiqi's murdering speed

Wish I had a Keqing to throw in there too… one day I'll lose that 50/50 and get something that isn't more Diluc, surely.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
The amount of gating to even start the Perilous Trail event is too drat much. Holy poo poo this blows.

Boat Stuck
Apr 20, 2021

I tried to sneak through the canal, man! Can't make it, can't make it, the ship's stuck! Outta my way son! BOAT STUCK! BOAT STUCK!

gandlethorpe posted:

The amount of gating to even start the Perilous Trail event is too drat much. Holy poo poo this blows.

yeah the amount of story line content built up over many patches must be daunting for new players

probably 100-200 hours just for the bare minimum to get caught up (all the archon quests and character quests), and many more hours for the various world quests (some of which are very significant and extremely time consuming like the ones that make inazuma islands normal)

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

ninjoatse.cx posted:

I feel Ayato has pretty much deprecated Childe. Childe never had a huge role outside of a few niche vape teams, but Ayato just feels much smoother to use, and his burst has a modify-the-battlefield effect rather than just a big damage effect, which tends to also out damage the big number alone just because you can react with it.

Even when I see side by side comparisons when Childe pulls ahead against small groups of enemies, I feel that slightly modifying Ayato's playstyle doesn't put him that far behind.

And even when Childe pulls ahead in a specific damage windoww, I'm pretty sure he has way less total uptime. It'd be one thing if his flexible cooldown thing let you optionally use him for the same amount of time as other characters with temporary damage windows (like Ayato, Yoimiya, or Hu Tao), but instead if you use him the same amount of time you're hit with a much longer cooldown. Either his damage would need to be significantly buffed or the cooldown signifanctly lowered to him him a decent alterantive.

Zenostein posted:

Yelan has also slightly noticeably improved Qiqi's murdering speed

Wish I had a Keqing to throw in there too… one day I'll lose that 50/50 and get something that isn't more Diluc, surely.

She has the same sword in the portrait as your character is using!

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Ytlaya posted:

https://enka.shinshin.moe/

The website doesn't randomly assign art to the character, you have to post that yourself otherwise it'll just use their wish splash art.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

Boat Stuck posted:

yeah the amount of story line content built up over many patches must be daunting for new players

probably 100-200 hours just for the bare minimum to get caught up (all the archon quests and character quests), and many more hours for the various world quests (some of which are very significant and extremely time consuming like the ones that make inazuma islands normal)

New or returning players who pull Yelan can get hosed I guess, rofl. I'm just behind on the Chasm storyline and I still had to do like 4+ hours of quests.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

gandlethorpe posted:

New or returning players who pull Yelan can get hosed I guess, rofl. I'm just behind on the Chasm storyline and I still had to do like 4+ hours of quests.

But you see
*waves hand for two seconds*
the story
*walks towards table for two seconds*
is paced great
*Paimon nodding for two seconds*
because content!
*shots of all characters' faces*

[ ] It sounds like you're saying the story is paced well
[ ] ...could the story be paced well?

MajorBonnet
May 28, 2009

How did I get here?

Mailer posted:

But you see
the story
is paced great
because content!

The story is well-paced and Paimon is... ... ... Paimon.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

gandlethorpe posted:

Yeah I just got to exploring the Chasm and I've just explored enough to unlock the fight that let me ascend her to 50, still have preqs for the event. :negative:

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

I had done the Inazuma questline but none of the story/archon quests afterwards. It took me like 8 days to clear the story to get to the point that I could do the current story event.

The Finn
Aug 27, 2004

إنه أصلع في الأسفل، كما تعلم

x1o posted:

My Noelle

I need to update my character showcase as it's got all my old characters that are missing artifacts lol

Noelle Supremacy Forever, imo

re Inazuma quests, the Tsurumi/Perch one can get completely hosed off Earth

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Mailer posted:

But you see
the story
is paced great
because content!

Next dialogue section available in 18h

x1o
Aug 5, 2005

My focus is UNPARALLELED!

gandlethorpe posted:

I thought this event had the quick start feature like the previous one?

gandlethorpe posted:

Had the same issue with Raiden, she was the first 5* I pulled and I was still in Mondstadt doing the AR5 story there. Took a long time before Raiden could go beyond level 40 lol. One of the better suggestions I saw floating around was to use Liben as a shop where players could buy materials from regions they haven't unlocked yet so they can use the characters they've pulled, as this is only going to get worse.

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!

x1o posted:

I thought this event had the quick start feature like the previous one?

I can confirm through a friend that it does not, at least not for the many required character quests like Kokomi, Raiden, and Itto. I didn't know those were required because I'd already done them.

e: nvm quick start was there it's just not the most obvious thing apparently. And it only lets you skip the character quests, not the Chasm storyline.

Solanumai fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Jun 19, 2022

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

I never found the quick start. How fun. :shepface:

It required most of the Chasm questline and Kokomi/Itto/Raiden for me. Took a long drat time to work through.

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

The problem with it is that it might not show up if you still have the Chasm to do, and at least in my friend's case it directed him to do the character quests before the chasm because chronologically they're earlier.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

Quick start only lets you bypass character story quests

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

Ytlaya posted:

It was a wonderfully lucky quick find on pixiv.

It's kinda hard to decide if it's more annoying to be locked out of events for plot reasons (e.g. you haven't physically gotten to the area yet/haven't finished a world quest) or just be unable to actually do the event, because you're massively underleveled. Feels like most mobile games only require a certain [low] player rank and then they'll let you go and smash your head into the event and do poorly. The only other game I've seen that plot-gates events did eventually add an item you can buy (from other events) that just lets you unlock previous events that you might've missed. It'd be nice if genshin did something like that, but that's exceptionally doubtful. I've heard they'll finally let you delete all the old cutscene videos (that you can't just watch in game anyway), so they probably aren't inclined to let you say, pick up a festering desire a year later, or read though all the event stories or whatever. That's a shame, really.

It would be nice if, along with skipping the character stories, you could tick a box that says you're cool with spoilers and it just spits you out at the new event. Maybe paimon gate you so you can't, for example, leave the drumalong festival island. It feels like most events only really take place in a small section of the actual overworld, and the rest of the event is in a domain or a special map anyway.

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

I don't know why canonical storyline quests are temporary events anyway.

I mean I know the reason is FOMO, it just seems really self-sabotaging to *remove* content from the game.

MoonCrab
Nov 19, 2014

A mildly pertubed emoji face
They do it cause otherwise the objectively superior way to play the game, would be to wait until the story's over. Just ignore the gacha aspect and run through all 8 nations with your canonical party: the knights of favonius newbie squad + Xiangling. A nice 100 hour adventure, for absolutely free.

Pope Urbane II
Nov 25, 2012

MoonCrab posted:

They do it cause otherwise the objectively superior way to play the game, would be to wait until the story's over. Just ignore the gacha aspect and run through all 8 nations with your canonical party: the knights of favonius newbie squad + Xiangling. A nice 100 hour adventure, for absolutely free.

I kind of hope that they release a remastered/ complete version when they move on to another project. Standalone, characters get unlocked via their character quest, event content is integrated into the game.

They won't, but they should.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
Still kinda amazed the sound track is as good as it is. No 3-4 games should have as many good tracks as this game has.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

If I'm at the Chasm is it worth powering through and doing the Yelan event/could I even make progress on it? I have no idea how events work in terms of if it's a one time quest, a bunch of dailies, or whatever. If it's just a story quest I'd consider that worth it, but obviously if it's just a bunch of dailies, doesn't make sense to get one day's worth of progress.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Eimi posted:

If I'm at the Chasm is it worth powering through and doing the Yelan event/could I even make progress on it? I have no idea how events work in terms of if it's a one time quest, a bunch of dailies, or whatever. If it's just a story quest I'd consider that worth it, but obviously if it's just a bunch of dailies, doesn't make sense to get one day's worth of progress.

The event also requires you to have done some character story quests, which I'm not sure if it'll show those requirements before the chasm stuff. If you haven't reached Inazuma I'd say there's not much of a chance of rushing it.

In general though, genshin events are multi part affairs where one part unlocks per day. However there's nothing stopping you from waiting till everything is unlocked and powering through them in one day if you wanted to, and there's usually a fairly generous timeframe in the range of weeks for you to do that.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

Eimi posted:

Assuming the story bits just let you through/ ask you to wait in-game days or whatever, you can manage, assuming you're on the us server and have the 10-odd hours.

There's 4 battle stages besides the story, my bad dudes and worse team sense averaged 20–30min per stage. You should be able to manage, just properly read the stage details, they all differ in their restrictions.

man looks absurd tapping away on a toy drum.

Slightly disappointed the gadget version doesn't let you double tap like taiko.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
This boring parts of this chasm event will be a permanent part of the main storyline. The combat stages+all the rewards will not.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

No Wave posted:

This boring parts of this chasm event will be a permanent part of the main storyline. The combat stages+all the rewards will not.

So the story of Bosacious(sp) is going to be there forever for everyone to do? What about the story of Guoba? Was that a permanent add or an event?

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

ninjoatse.cx posted:

Still kinda amazed the sound track is as good as it is. No 3-4 games should have as many good tracks as this game has.

Yu-peng Chen is the archon of music

MoonCrab
Nov 19, 2014

A mildly pertubed emoji face

Eimi posted:

If I'm at the Chasm is it worth powering through and doing the Yelan event?

Nah. Exploring is the good part of the game, no point in ruining it for the sake of mobile game rewards.

(extremely biased take)

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

There's the free 4* bow if nothing else though it doesn't seem like it's making many waves compared to other event freebies from the past.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

ninjoatse.cx posted:

So the story of Bosacious(sp) is going to be there forever for everyone to do? What about the story of Guoba? Was that a permanent add or an event?
The former will be forever yeah, it's a prereq for Yelan's story quest and will remain that way. God of the stove was purely temporary (unfortunately). The Shenhe quest is permanent too, it and perilous trail are the two "interlude quests".

YoshiOfYellow posted:

There's the free 4* bow if nothing else though it doesn't seem like it's making many waves compared to other event freebies from the past.
It's really good on Fischl and especially Sara. You can use it on Venti too if you're building atk/crit on him. It's probably my favorite non-spindle event weapon.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Jun 20, 2022

Kale
May 14, 2010

ninjoatse.cx posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DMkm4skku3U

This song is super stuck in my head

Happy Underpants
Jul 23, 2007
Seconding Liyue having the best music. There is a Liyue combat track that perfectly epitomizes running with your friends, over hills, towards disaster.

Zagposting
Nov 18, 2012

Don't put points into luck, they said.

It's a useless stat, they said.
I'm playing again after burning out post-Stormterror on launch. Just finished Liyue, and I'm working my way through the Chasm questline now before moving on to Chapter 2. I'm having a blast with all of the content, but I can't really settle on a firm main roster to invest in. Before I left, I had just gotten Klee and I like, but don't love her auto-cancel playstyle. My team with her has been Klee/Yelen/Jean/Bennet. Noelle was my dupe curse and I had her at c5, and just got her to c6 off Yelen's banner; her playstyle is fun and a lot safer than Klee, but the downtime between Sweeping Time feels rough, and only having Geo Traveler makes building it up a little annoying. My team with her has been Noelle/Yelen/Fischl/Traveler.

My roster is below with constellations in red; any recommendations on overall team? Any characters I have that I could be using as a main DPS an alternative to those? It looks like I could stick it out with Noelle and hope I get Gorou off the next banner, but I don't want to start investing heavily in a main DPS to have them peter out later.

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015

Riftling posted:

Any characters I have that I could be using as a main DPS an alternative to those?

I don't have Xiao but supposedly he is a very solid main carry DPS. I would try sticking him in a team with Jean for anemo battery, plus some nasty off-field supports. Xingqui and Yelan both provide that and can battery each other for high uptime on their ults.

Don't sleep on Xiangling and the "National" team comp. You could run Bennet - Xiangling- Xingqiu - Sucrose. Chongyun and Yelan can be mixed in as desired, Xiangling and Bennet are really the core there. Xiangling's ult is the single most damaging button press in the game, so you use her and Bennet as a pyro battery/buffer, and then the other two slots are for making melt or vaporize reactions or otherwise pumping that synergy.

edit: i can spell

Scoss fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Jun 23, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

No Wave posted:

When you say rewards does that include upgrading the lumenstone? Or is that mainline stuff sticking in?