Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

That's the sort of property where upkeep loving kills you if you aren't either rich enough to not give a gently caress about your maintenance budget or are using it as a source of income.

I mean, poo poo, just think of all the normal homeowner bullshit with your typical 2000sqft 2br/3ba and now multiply it by five and add on poo poo like boiler system for heating etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

IncredibleIgloo posted:

couldn't they just expand the monorail but it goes into a tunnel at some point?

Ok but if the train is above ground sometimes and below ground other times, what do you even call it?

E: vvv ABnB baby

BonerGhost fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Jun 17, 2022

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
It looks like they bought their furnishings at a motel that went out of business. I'd be curious to see how that's zoned and legal as a residence.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
For the love of God, it is a Sportsman's Gem!

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

https://i.imgur.com/TtKw4ZM.gifv

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Well that's a way to do it, alright.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

IncredibleIgloo posted:

Why not just expand the monorail in Las Vegas? Is a monorail more expensive than digging out for a subway? Or if going below is cheaper couldn't they just expand the monorail but it goes into a tunnel at some point?

the monorail basically runs the full length of the strip already and getting it to allegiant stadium would require crossing 2 blocks of prime real estate and las vegas blvd aka an act of god

no one gives a poo poo if it goes to fremont street and the cabbies will destroy them if it goes to the airport

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

IncredibleIgloo posted:

Why not just expand the monorail in Las Vegas? Is a monorail more expensive than digging out for a subway? Or if going below is cheaper couldn't they just expand the monorail but it goes into a tunnel at some point?
Because there's a theoretical alternative that might make the contractor more money, even if it's transparently stupid. You can't interpret this kind of thing in any way but literally.

Musk proposed the stupidest possible solution, and people bought into it thinking they could make money. The whole thing is an obvious scam, escape this time the true believer is the guy pitching it rather than the people who bought the monorail.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Dick Trauma posted:

For the love of God, it is a Sportsman's Gem!

And has been used as a "memory maker". I can sort of guess at what they mean, but that's an impressively vague and interpretable term.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Computer viking posted:

And has been used as a "memory maker". I can sort of guess at what they mean, but that's an impressively vague and interpretable term.

"Remember that time the gym roof collapsed? Ahh, takes me back."

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Cyrano4747 posted:

Yeah, any "mass" transit that involves individual, personal cars isn't.

Add a queue at every station, gotta let anyone who wants to get in your Tesla in until you leave the loop.

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

Danhenge posted:

I cannot bring myself to believe that Musk would do this without getting some tax boondoggle or subsidy that taxpayers pay for directly or indirectly.

Do not underestimate the lengths a billionaire with a praise kink will go to to feed that kink.

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013
Ask me about my love of genocide denial!
It is amazing how people will go to great lengths to reinvent the train, but now with added classism to keep out the poors from your libertarian mass transit paradise.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
As a grade schooler I once thought of a transportation service that was a car that went around picking up people who looked like they needed rides. You couldn't call and get it to pick you up or flag it down, it was entirely at the discretion of the driver. The car also looked like a slice of blueberry pie for some reason.

I feel like this was a better idea than that tunnel of electric farts.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I hate it when textures and level geometry don’t load.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Bad form but I want this duct tape.
:sparkles:

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Foxtrot_13 posted:

It is amazing how people will go to great lengths to reinvent the train, but now with added classism to keep out the poors from your libertarian mass transit paradise.

They keep reinventing the train because trains are usually not economically viable for moving people around so they need to make it different enough that maybe it'll work this time.

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005

Cat Hatter posted:

They keep reinventing the train because trains are usually not economically viable for moving people around so they need to make it different enough that maybe it'll work this time.

Haha what.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

Railfan42069 has entered the chat.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Basic infrastructure needs not be economically viable, as that's what taxes are for.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Cat Hatter posted:

Good infrastructure is one of the few things in the world that have positive externalities.

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Basic infrastructure needs not be economically viable, as that's what taxes are for.

We have convinced ourselves that everything must make number go up, so...

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

I definitely bought my crappy falling down house in part because of its proximity to reliable mass transit that goes to almost all the places I work.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

MRC48B posted:

We have convinced ourselves that everything must make number go up, so...

Well now that just seems stupid!

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

A CHALLENGER APPROACHES

https://i.imgur.com/b16MvG1.gifv

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
Mass transit doesn't have to be profitable, but if they can serve the same number of people for less money with a bus, then it's more likely they'll put in a bus line. I wish light rail was more prevalent too, but if a city has $X to spend on mass transit and once they buy land and lay track they can serve 10 million people or they can use that same money on buses and serve 50 million people, they're usually going to get the buses.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Cat Hatter posted:

Mass transit doesn't have to be profitable, but if they can serve the same number of people for less money with a bus, then it's more likely they'll put in a bus line. I wish light rail was more prevalent too, but if a city has $X to spend on mass transit and once they buy land and lay track they can serve 10 million people or they can use that same money on buses and serve 50 million people, they're usually going to get the buses.

Buses are cheaper upfront because roads already exist. Busses are heavy and may in time increase the costs of road maintenance, but that won't come out of the transit budget and besides that's a tomorrow problem.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Buses are not a good solution for anywhere with big industry. Not everyone will fit on the 42 to the shipyards. Obviously not a problem in the USA because they have no industry to speak of.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Buses are not a good solution for anywhere with big industry. Not everyone will fit on the 42 to the shipyards. Obviously not a problem in the USA because they have no industry to speak of.

Uh, #2 in the world in industrial output is probably enough to speak of.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I have nothing made in the US. Q.E.D. :smugmrgw:

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Facebook Aunt posted:

Buses are cheaper upfront because roads already exist. Busses are heavy and may in time increase the costs of road maintenance, but that won't come out of the transit budget and besides that's a tomorrow problem.

Routes can also be added or changed easier. The other big advantage is not having to buy a bunch of land that people would probably rather keep for themselves. If they put in a bus route and everyone starts using it then they know the demand exists to justify a train. If 10 people ride that bus per day then at least they figured that out ahead of time. I'd like to be able to take a train more often too (or an airship or hovercraft for that matter), it just doesn't make sense to implement as much as we'd like.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp
In America trains are in the past or for the future, they can never actually exist now. That's known as the US Rail Paradox.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp
Like there used to be light rail near my neighborhood. But there isn't any now. A few years ago we were going to get a rail station in 2033. Now in 2022 we're getting a station in 2040.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
I suppose we all hope some light rail is in our future

Just Winging It
Jan 19, 2012

The buck stops at my ass
Vested interests make it impossible. Cab companies don't want competition for their airport grift. Suburban white people don't want poor and/or people of color coming to their neighborhoods, low density suburban sprawl is poorly suited to mass transport anyway. Car and oil companies don't want people to be able to go around without a car because of their bottom line.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

SkyeAuroline posted:

An actual subway could do so at a far higher capacity, and they're already doing the whole "drilling tunnels".

Also without traffic jams that have already happened in the test tunnel and less chance of catastrophic accident that can't be escaped because of how these tunnels are set up.

Just waiting for the first lithium battery fire between stations, and the massive death toll given no way to escape and insufficient ventilation to clear smoke.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

I know this is the least important thing going on here, but are they saying the difference between 6' and 4.5' is 2.5'?
https://imgur.com/onBh48h.mp4
(Not sure how imgur video embeds work)

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

IncredibleIgloo posted:

The monorail isn't cars and doesn't sell teslas.

Cat Hatter posted:

Routes can also be added or changed easier. The other big advantage is not having to buy a bunch of land that people would probably rather keep for themselves. If they put in a bus route and everyone starts using it then they know the demand exists to justify a train. If 10 people ride that bus per day then at least they figured that out ahead of time. I'd like to be able to take a train more often too (or an airship or hovercraft for that matter), it just doesn't make sense to implement as much as we'd like.

Trains and subways also perform a different job than busses. They move a large number of people across a city fast. They don't compete with road traffic. Most other posters have pointed out what trains do, but I think your first post misses the idea that busses are best used as "last mile" transport from a larger capacity transit solution, like a train. Of course, because of sprawl transit implementation is turbofucked because why would you put a subway station on a stroad that has no sidewalks and is more parking lot than businesses?

On a crappy construction topic, I think "the drop ceiling lives up to its name" deserved more fanfare than it got.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Warmachine posted:

The monorail isn't cars and doesn't sell teslas.

Trains and subways also perform a different job than busses. They move a large number of people across a city fast. They don't compete with road traffic. Most other posters have pointed out what trains do, but I think your first post misses the idea that busses are best used as "last mile" transport from a larger capacity transit solution, like a train. Of course, because of sprawl transit implementation is turbofucked because why would you put a subway station on a stroad that has no sidewalks and is more parking lot than businesses?

On a crappy construction topic, I think "the drop ceiling lives up to its name" deserved more fanfare than it got.

I'm not missing that, busses suck rear end. I'm saying that trains are prohibitively expensive for most of the places people wish they were once you consider the number of people they'd serve and its better to give crummy service (a bus) to a bunch of people than a nice service (a train) to a handful of people.