Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kagaya Homoraisan
Aug 28, 2019

You say, run away
Instead, you get scared
For the way that I feel
Drops out into all this disorder
if your media preservation doesnt at least partly include "rip it in high quality and put it on the internet for other people to enjoy it for the foreseeable future" youre pretty full of poo poo. no physical media is permanent, no matter how well its stored. and if youre storing something for decades with basically no mind to let yourself or others enjoy it, its preserved in name only. stuff like this isnt me being hyperbolic or dramatic either. as a great example the original arcade version of dodonpachi saidaioujou was completely unplayable for a decade. this was because people were treating the pcb as an investment since it was a smallish run, meaning dumping the board so that other people could loving play the game instead of pretend to be a day trader with it would hurt these peoples $10,000+ investments. super scummy poo poo that only got resolved at the beginning of this year. and haha, even though the dumped rom immediately got c&d'd its still trivial to find online and ergo it will be easy to preserve it going forward. something that was not at all true until just now when it got put on the internet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
That sounds like a lot of work

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
digital basically is in fact the be all end all because public digital preservation means that unless the download is incredibly obscure and gains zero attention or the entire internet is destroyed, there will be endless copies floating everywhere

thinking about how garage: bad dream adventure was almost lost media, and the hunt to find and preserve a copy of it digitally has led to it having an entire official steam release years later

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Jun 19, 2022

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
But the benefit of physical media is that it can assist with digital preservation. Without physical releases some titles are probably lost to time since there's no way to then upload them to digital. There's probably hundreds of OVAs and old series that only released on vhs beta or laser laserdisc that have long been out of print. Without the prospect of a bluray re-release preservation efforts are all the more important. Isn't the JoJo OVA still a super rare item thanks to the new show getting the attention and the owners wanting to memory hole the original?

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the original jojo ova is in the bizarre situation of araki basically disowning all pre-david adaptations of the manga because he hated the movie so much he walled it off from getting a video release at all

which, even if the movie is the worst thing ever made, is kind of bizarre. like the opposite side of the coin to nagano emphatically stating gothicmade will never get a bd release because he would never let someone watch it outside of a theater

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Jun 19, 2022

copy
Jul 26, 2007

Waffleman_ posted:

Manga Plus is doing a user survey and this is literally one of the questions lol

lol

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Waffleman_ posted:

Manga Plus is doing a user survey and this is literally one of the questions lol

lol; potentially even lmao

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

marumaru posted:

lol; potentially even lmao

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Sending Mr. Shueisha the good ol' goatman.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Kagaya Homoraisan posted:

if your media preservation doesnt at least partly include "rip it in high quality and put it on the internet for other people to enjoy it for the foreseeable future" youre pretty full of poo poo. no physical media is permanent, no matter how well its stored. and if youre storing something for decades with basically no mind to let yourself or others enjoy it, its preserved in name only. stuff like this isnt me being hyperbolic or dramatic either. as a great example the original arcade version of dodonpachi saidaioujou was completely unplayable for a decade. this was because people were treating the pcb as an investment since it was a smallish run, meaning dumping the board so that other people could loving play the game instead of pretend to be a day trader with it would hurt these peoples $10,000+ investments. super scummy poo poo that only got resolved at the beginning of this year. and haha, even though the dumped rom immediately got c&d'd its still trivial to find online and ergo it will be easy to preserve it going forward. something that was not at all true until just now when it got put on the internet.

hoarders are the absolute scum of the earth lol. especially when it's poo poo like music albums or ROMs or whatever that have already been digital only for like a decade. iirc the godspeed you! black emperor demo tape was unreleased for almost 20 years because the people who had the tapes wanted bragging rights more than sharing the music lol. and what do you know, leaking it made the band put out a (slightly better) quality master on Bandcamp.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

It was epic when someone leaked all those lost japanese PC games that some dude was hoarding a few years ago

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

For the average person just wanting to buy a physical release so they can watch it later they really don't need to worry about ripping stuff but if your going to be collecting old media to have physical copies than you probably should be looking at ripping it

marumaru
May 20, 2013

reminds me of the guy who found a cd with starcraft source code, posted that he was giving it back to blizzard on reddit to get upvotes, everyone got angry at him instead, blizzard gave him an overwatch mousepad as thanks lol

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
One of the questions on that mangaplus survey was "how many physical volumes of manga do you own" and the top answer you could pick was 10+. I'm hoping they meant different series, because then I'm slightly less of a crazy outlier, apparently.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I would be in the 100+ category :getin:

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

marumaru posted:

reminds me of the guy who found a cd with starcraft source code, posted that he was giving it back to blizzard on reddit to get upvotes, everyone got angry at him instead, blizzard gave him an overwatch mousepad as thanks lol

what an rear end in a top hat

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

Rohan Kishibe posted:

One of the questions on that mangaplus survey was "how many physical volumes of manga do you own" and the top answer you could pick was 10+. I'm hoping they meant different series, because then I'm slightly less of a crazy outlier, apparently.

10+?

yeah, well,

i guess

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

they should call it *squints* Ninety Piece, on account of,

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.

RuBisCO posted:

10+?

yeah, well,

i guess

Okay, good, I was worried for a second.

I'm assuming that, like me, your long term storage boxes are kept in a different room due to space management issues.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Ibram Gaunt posted:

It was epic when someone leaked all those lost japanese PC games that some dude was hoarding a few years ago
yeah and then it made all the japanese game hoarders incredibly angry and paranoid, and they dont trust people with their games anymore

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

homeless snail posted:

yeah and then it made all the japanese game hoarders incredibly angry and paranoid, and they dont trust people with their games anymore

Which changed what exactly?

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Lurking Haro posted:

Which changed what exactly?
well they had trusted that guy, with their collection before he leaked it. so thats not happening again

Kagaya Homoraisan
Aug 28, 2019

You say, run away
Instead, you get scared
For the way that I feel
Drops out into all this disorder
okay but trusting one guy doesnt preserve these things any better than trusting no guys. thats the point. keeping your poo poo locked up doesnt help anyone no matter how you spin it.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Kagaya Homoraisan posted:

okay but trusting one guy doesnt preserve these things any better than trusting no guys. thats the point. keeping your poo poo locked up doesnt help anyone no matter how you spin it.

Some people like sleeping on a hoard of gold.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

they should simply put all the pc-98 games on the blockchain

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

homeless snail posted:

well they had trusted that guy, with their collection before he leaked it. so thats not happening again

They were not being shared regardless its not like they were about to but he spoiled their fun by leaking it a day early or something

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

i'm just saying its a heist you get to do, exactly once

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Paracelsus posted:

Some people like sleeping on a hoard of gold.

Furiously masturbating to a copy of Zeddas 3 in utter silence every night

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
There's nothing more pathetic lol. Its almost always poo poo that the company that made it doesn't care about or nobody's even sure who owns the rights anymore anyway, so like, there's not even a tenous moral argument to make, and most of the filthy hoarders aren't selling access or anything, so it's purely just to make themselves feel cool by having something no one else has. And unlike collecting actual physical goods, music or software or whatever is just data so it's as close to free to copy as anything gets. It's like, not even greed, which is at least understandable. Nobody likes hoarders either so the only clout they get is with other people claiming to have long lost poo poo. Lol.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Like at least people hoarding old books or whatever can at least make the argument that they can't trust anyone to scan it without damage. How do you say that when you're talking about computer data. Lol.

Malsangoroth
Apr 2, 2015

Eh, if the two offending parties were both sizable corporations (or, heck, even just the owner of said games was a company) then I'd agree with you, to some degree, because at least you can write in your policies that you will never, ever lend them to Steve Inc. or anyone else again, and you can weed out anyone who might go against that. But considering we're not talking about a monolithic entity and instead tens of thousands of individual hoarders, with more future hoarders being born every day, then I doubt a blanket refusal to share will ever really come to pass. It might slow down for a while, sure, but a few years from now I bet we'll see the same thing happen ad infinitum.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

The odd thing is while I can't speak for Arcade PCB's or PC98 games I do know that Rom dumps really don't reduce the value of the actual physical game that much. The people that want the physical copy are going to still pay the price just to run it on original hardware or to say they have the actual game

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Did we ever get that Wu-Tang album back from Martin Shkreli?

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Waffleman_ posted:

Did we ever get that Wu-Tang album back from Martin Shkreli?

I don't think so lol. But knowing Wu-Tang they absolutely would release some piece of poo poo joke album and only make one copy to gently caress with whichever idiot was dumb enough to buy it. Like it's just a full EP of bad takes from song intros or something.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.
Until we get Bill Murray on board we're never hearing it.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

the cops seized the wu tang album and then, some crypto thing won it in an auction

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Larry Parrish posted:

I don't think so lol. But knowing Wu-Tang they absolutely would release some piece of poo poo joke album and only make one copy to gently caress with whichever idiot was dumb enough to buy it. Like it's just a full EP of bad takes from song intros or something.

https://twitter.com/griffinmcelroy/status/677966778417283072

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

RuBisCO posted:

10+?

yeah, well,

i guess

Yo, what brand are those bookshelves? I’ve been looking for some big ones since my collection’s been getting so big.

Also, nice collection.

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

Last Celebration posted:

Yo, what brand are those bookshelves? I’ve been looking for some big ones since my collection’s been getting so big.

Also, nice collection.

Thanks!

The bookshelves are both Ikea's Billy, which come in the wide and narrow models. I also bought two extra shelves each.

I hate these bookshelves. I think they're an incredibly poor fit for manga. In addition to being made out of particle board (meaning if you put too much weight on a shelf, it'll start to bow/sag), they're also way too deep to hold manga unless you double stack them (like the one piece shelf), which is why I have all of my books pushed to the front edge. If you double stack them, you run the risk of putting on too much load and have the shelf sag, so...

I reinforced the back of the one piece shelf so hopefully it won't sag over time.

That said, they are cheap, which means that's more money spent on manga. Though, I guess not that cheap nowadays, the price has gone up 20$ because of the whole... everything going on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
the shelves might be poo poo but your setup looks pretty slick