Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Fidel Cuckstro posted:

General Klingon question- was there ever any clear statement about whether Klingon houses were just the Klingon family structure, or if they're more political/aristocratic units of Klingon life? Or another way- is the average Klingon 'un-housed', or is it just that most Houses are forgettable space-poors without even a single Bird of Prey to their name?

Martok adopts Worf into the house of Martok, but I don't think everyone that works for Martok was a member of the house. They serve the house but it would feel weird for them all to be members. Martok's wife having to oversee the marriage of everyone who works for him doesn't seem right.

IDK, but I'm sure there's a terrible novel that explains it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Ubersandwich posted:

I love that picture way more than I ought to.

It's gotta be a call back to this series of photos:

Shatner has a famous photo in costume next to a notable car, as well.

Ubersandwich
Jun 1, 2003

A.o.D. posted:

It's gotta be a call back to this series of photos:

Shatner has a famous photo in costume next to a notable car, as well.

Exactly what I thought of. I love those old in-costume pics, they seem so rare and almost mythical considering how different media was back then.

xerxus
Apr 24, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Facebook Aunt posted:

Martok adopts Worf into the house of Martok, but I don't think everyone that works for Martok was a member of the house. They serve the house but it would feel weird for them all to be members. Martok's wife having to oversee the marriage of everyone who works for him doesn't seem right.

IDK, but I'm sure there's a terrible novel that explains it.

It's a semi feudal system where rank grants ships, titles grant land which includes a pool of soldiers that will serve the house. Warriors who distinguish themselves can earn prominence in the Houses and perhaps be granted lands of their own.

When Worf went against Gowron, the House of Mogh stripped of rank, titles, ships, and lands. Kurn said they lost everything.
(if they 'owned' the ships how can the Council strip them of it? Ships must belong to the Empire.)

Martok was a commoner who wasn't allowed to even join as a common soldier due to Kor's classism. A few lucky situations and skills was what allowed him to rise from a laborer to warrior to general to chancellor.

In Discovery, the House of T'Kuvma was a lesser house that was still known by members of the High Council. They took in 'outcasts' that weren't allowed to serve in the other houses. I think this is probably the kind of situation Martok faced.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I'm pretty sure that Klingon society is structured like British Society where there are Lords etc.. but also there's Klingons that don't have lands. It seems land and businesses are granted by the high council and that they can be revoked.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Star Trek

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

xerxus posted:

It's a semi feudal system where rank grants ships, titles grant land which includes a pool of soldiers that will serve the house. Warriors who distinguish themselves can earn prominence in the Houses and perhaps be granted lands of their own.

When Worf went against Gowron, the House of Mogh stripped of rank, titles, ships, and lands. Kurn said they lost everything.
(if they 'owned' the ships how can the Council strip them of it? Ships must belong to the Empire.)

It’s an authoritarian empire, the central government can just expropriate nobles sometimes and get away with it as long as they have enough other power elites onside. And they better do that if they’ve stripped them of their ranks, otherwise they’d just have a bunch of guys cruising around in military hardware with no official position or oversight. Which actually does seem to be the case sometimes, like the moron captain in Final Frontier who gives up his busy life of shooting space trash to go haring off after Kirk for no reason but to get rep

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Feudal Japan imo

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

zoux posted:

Feudal Japan imo

Kinda, but the Chancellor seems to wield less authority than the Shogun, and definitely isn't an analogue of the Emperor. Also, the Klingon Empire has definitely not undergone the liquidation of the warrior class in the way the Shogunate did.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Payndz posted:

I think something to remember about Cage Pike is that Roddenberry - a former wartime military officer, commercial pilot and cop - was writing him as an idealised version of himself in all these very professional, serious, lives-are-on-the-line roles. The only people Pike loosens up with are Boyce and Vina; to everyone else, he's always The Captain, the authority figure who has to be seen as commanding and in control no matter the situation. There's zero goofiness to him at all, and deliberately so, because Roddenberry wanted the show to be taken seriously as a drama rather than something dopey like Lost In Space. If Pike had stayed for the series, maybe he would have lightened up over time - but then, Hunter always seemed more intense than Shatner.

By the time Star Trek got its second chance, other people were involved in the writing, and they were very aware that the 100% Roddenberry character of Pike had been considered cold and humourless by execs and test audiences, so from the start Kirk was being written in a different way. I haven't seen SNW yet, but the bits I've seen of Pike so far, he's being played as far more relaxed than Hunter's version.

Huh, I never realized that Pike was a self insert but that makes total sense.

Pike certainly feels like a golden age of sci fi hero that fits into the mold of "hard men making hard decisions".

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

No. gently caress off. No one wants any of that poo poo.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

zoux posted:

Feudal Japan imo

Klingonu~~

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

nine-gear crow posted:

No. gently caress off. No one wants any of that poo poo.

please be respectful at the wake

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Caught up on the "Lift us up" episode yesterday. Not sure I can remember a comparable Trek episode where the crew is just sort of watching something unfold like that. And not sure really how to rank it because of that.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Fidel Cuckstro posted:

Caught up on the "Lift us up" episode yesterday. Not sure I can remember a comparable Trek episode where the crew is just sort of watching something unfold like that. And not sure really how to rank it because of that.

“Let That Be Your Last Battlefield” springs to mind, where the answer to the dilemma was similarly beyond the writers, so they just have the characters sit around looking unhappy as the guest stars go nuts at each other

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
In TNG The Survivors, after Uxbridge admits he committed genocide on an entire race with an angry thought, Picard is very uncomfortable and admits he doesn't even have a way to punish Uxbridge for that insane of a transgression.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Fair examples, thank you :)

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer
This made me think of the thread:

https://twitter.com/adrianhon/status/1538283309096177664

Ubersandwich
Jun 1, 2003

Ain't that a case of the glarb zaghin' the polometer.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
Yeah, it'd be like someone saying "A bad workman blames his tools" or something, who says poo poo from the 13th century? Of course that's more of a translation, it'd be more like people just saying "In Vino Veritas", which never comes up several thousand years after it was first said.

To be fair they also just go super hard on people saying poo poo relevant to this moment and/or that is fair use. Like "We must travel back to the past for reasons [That lead us directly to the modern day of the show airing].". They've pulled that one like 7 loving times or something.

e: Picard making an entire season that was just....that was certainly a choice.

Mulva fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Jun 19, 2022

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
No one has ever said "_____ delenda est" at any point in the past 2000 years.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Ubersandwich posted:

Ain't that a case of the glarb zaghin' the polometer.

Hey c'mon only a veruul would post that language in public

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Glarb, his polometer zaghed

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

There is an entire course at the academy for Captains thats just historical bullshit and quotes to sound smart and instill confidence in ensigns

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

alexandriao posted:

There is an entire course at the academy for Captains thats just historical bullshit and quotes to sound smart and instill confidence in ensigns
Newly-promoted captains find two files waiting in their inbox. One is the Omega Directive. The other is Inspiring Historical Quotations.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

A.o.D. posted:

No one has ever said "_____ delenda est" at any point in the past 2000 years.

Let me introduce to you a warhammer youtube channel called Discourse Minatures.

She did batman mini game videos and got like 100 views, then decided that Games Workshop is the most evil corporation on earth and exploits neural divergent people by creating a desire to buy their products by....producing products that people want, and selling them. They exploit FOMO attitudes by making some stuff available earlier in big sets before you can buy them individually. Plus they are company that wants to make money, those dastards!

She ends every video with Games Workshop Delenda Est" and has been showing up on streams by Warhamm youtubers who are "why can't I paint my imperial guardsmen with swastikas on their tanks?" types.

It's all extremely stupid. Thats the kind of person who uses that line.

I always liked in Babylon 5 Sheridan at one point says "as my Grandfather used to say, 'Cool'".

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

twistedmentat posted:

That's a highly specific example you have there, but no. People use it all the time in all sorts of situations. Did give me one more name to not check out as I look at Horus Heresy stuff, so thank you for that!

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.

twistedmentat posted:

Searching these dead gay forums for the exact phrase "Reddit delenda est" turns up dozens of results going back to 2014 for that one specific use of "delenda est".

FishFood
Apr 1, 2012

Now with brine shrimp!
There's a guy on twitter who ends every post with "ICE must be destroyed" and that's pretty cool.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

FishFood posted:

There's a guy on twitter who ends every post with "ICE must be destroyed" and that's pretty cool.

Even Star Trek: Picard Season 2, the worst piece of Star Trek media ever produced, was mindful enough to say "gently caress ICE."

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

twistedmentat posted:

Let me introduce to you a warhammer youtube channel called Discourse Minatures.

She did batman mini game videos and got like 100 views, then decided that Games Workshop is the most evil corporation on earth and exploits neural divergent people by creating a desire to buy their products by....producing products that people want, and selling them. They exploit FOMO attitudes by making some stuff available earlier in big sets before you can buy them individually. Plus they are company that wants to make money, those dastards!

She ends every video with Games Workshop Delenda Est" and has been showing up on streams by Warhamm youtubers who are "why can't I paint my imperial guardsmen with swastikas on their tanks?" types.

I always liked in Babylon 5 Sheridan at one point says "as my Grandfather used to say, 'Cool'".

Thank you for the story, it was an entertaining read, but I feel you may have drawn the wrong conclusions.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Glarb, his polometer zaghed

New thread title!

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Jun 20, 2022

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

A.o.D. posted:

Kinda, but the Chancellor seems to wield less authority than the Shogun, and definitely isn't an analogue of the Emperor. Also, the Klingon Empire has definitely not undergone the liquidation of the warrior class in the way the Shogunate did.

Kinda feels like the Klingon Empire is exactly that...Shogunate Japan without successfully weakening the warrior class and with the Emperor disposed of instead of as a powerless puppet. Until Worf manages to give them a puppet emperor, anyway.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

I like the show but I wasn’t crazy about this one, felt way too CW for me. Cringed at basically every line from the Pirate captain.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

skasion posted:

It’s an authoritarian empire, the central government can just expropriate nobles sometimes and get away with it as long as they have enough other power elites onside. And they better do that if they’ve stripped them of their ranks, otherwise they’d just have a bunch of guys cruising around in military hardware with no official position or oversight. Which actually does seem to be the case sometimes, like the moron captain in Final Frontier who gives up his busy life of shooting space trash to go haring off after Kirk for no reason but to get rep

Oligarch failson playing privateer in the family B'rel was how I always read that guy, fo sho.

Still not sure what Kruge's entire deal was going after Genesis, but at least he had some idea what he was playing with, and dude did take down Enterprise, then died gloriously in single combat with Kirk on the Genesis Planet. That's probably worthy of a song or two back home.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

I feel like about two minutes after The Serene Squall aired, a thousand Dr Aspen/Captain Angel cosplay projects started. They will be glorious.

Also I love that this isn't the first time that Pike and Una have run the ol' "sow dissent among the enemy and foster a mutiny to escape capture" routine. Anson Mount and Rebecca Romijn have such great chemistry together.

Can the next episode air already?

And there must be a next time, loving Jesse James Keitel on Twitter:
https://twitter.com/JesseJKeitel/status/1537837691194068993

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
I still feel like they wanted to cast Cara Gee (Drummer from Expanse) for La’an.

I enjoy the actress they got but I can’t stop thinking of her as dime-store Drummer 😅

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

The capitalization on "FOOLISHLY welcoming me on board" :discourse:

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

I still feel like they wanted to cast Cara Gee (Drummer from Expanse) for La’an.

I enjoy the actress they got but I can’t stop thinking of her as dime-store Drummer 😅

I'm glad I'm not the only one! I like her and I feel bad that I keep thinking of Drummer whenever I see her. :allears:

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Kesper North posted:

Oligarch failson playing privateer in the family B'rel was how I always read that guy, fo sho.

Still not sure what Kruge's entire deal was going after Genesis, but at least he had some idea what he was playing with, and dude did take down Enterprise, then died gloriously in single combat with Kirk on the Genesis Planet. That's probably worthy of a song or two back home.
He wanted to steal it for the Empire

I believe at the beginning of TVH there is a Klingon Ambassador complaining about Genesis potentially being used as a WMD and wanting the Federation to turn over data on it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Mulva posted:

That's a highly specific example you have there, but no. People use it all the time in all sorts of situations. Did give me one more name to not check out as I look at Horus Heresy stuff, so thank you for that!

Yea i just pointing out that its not a dead phrase, but its more used by people trying to sound smart and edgy. And yea HH stuff is super rad, and the box is extremely heavy.

Mr.Radar posted:

Searching these dead gay forums for the exact phrase "Reddit delenda est" turns up dozens of results going back to 2014 for that one specific use of "delenda est".

Yup, not surprised.

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

I was saying that in the first episode. But as I said then "if you're going to rip off a character, rip of the best". SNW or Trek in general should poach some Expanse actors that are Toronto based.