Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Answers Me posted:

I don’t mean to single out whoever this person is, I was just looking it up to see whether anyone was expressing this opinion…

https://twitter.com/IAmPhophos/status/1538512331755380738?s=20&t=wmW6aJ70IHtx79Z_CdOOhA

…this is a dumb take, right? There’s still a partial service this week which is, as far as I’m aware, not being run by scab workers. and thus you can be in a position where you use the train and still wholly support the strike, in that you can accept that any personal inconvenience has been caused by the government and rail companies loving over workers and the entire rail infrastructure more generally, right? I don’t see how that’s scab behaviour or undermining strike action, myself

There's going to be pickets outside of the stations so getting on any train at that point is crossing a picket line. More generally unless the strike is specifically exempting some lines for some reason then the limited service will be being run by non-union members, agency workers or scabs without you having any control of the mix of them on your train and your overall impact will be continuing to provide income and passenger stats during the strike to the bosses which are detrimental to the cause.

The tweet is fine (edit: except being a passenger isn't being a scab, it's just being poo poo), people should be doing whatever they can to avoid using the train service on strike days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

namesake posted:

unless the strike is specifically exempting some lines for some reason then the limited service will be being run by non-union members, agency workers or scabs

What do you even google to find out if this is the case?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I'd argue that workers who have no choice but to take those trains for their own jobs or face being fired are not scabs or being poo poo, but victims of our economic system who shouldn't be disdained over something they lack the agency to control.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Mm, it is the classic argument for industrial unionism but generally that is phrased better than tweeting that everyone who does that is an rear end in a top hat.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

The government are really stoking the social divisions with this strike. I guess it's so they can add public support to 'crack down on the unions'.... more so.... because we're on that hell timeline, aren't we?

fuctifino fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Jun 19, 2022

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
https://twitter.com/flglmn/status/1538513817272999938
tradesmen nowadays having hobbies and talking to their friends, what is the world coming to

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

fellas is it woke to discuss feelings with your colleagues

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
'History buff' is the most trade hobby anyway, whether it's like worker's/co-op history or local history or British military history or how stuff used to be built and why. 90% of sparks have opinions on niche cold war stuff, and the guys from Western Power who were round last week fixing a problem with my cut-out were talking about the electrification of rural villages in the 30s and the how and why certain things were done.

I guess according to the Daily Mail 'woke' now includes having any awareness of the wider world around you and why things happen, or receiving information from sources other than the Daily Mail. And not dying from despair or clogged arteries, very woke.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Tesseraction posted:

I'd argue that workers who have no choice but to take those trains for their own jobs or face being fired are not scabs or being poo poo, but victims of our economic system who shouldn't be disdained over something they lack the agency to control.

The vast majority will have some sort of choice - suffer greater inconvenience or cost by taking another form of transport or ideally to organise their workplace so they are not victimised for showing worker solidarity.

I'm not suggesting reprisals against passengers but the answer to powerlessness is to build power, not carve out individual exemptions.

Umbra Dubium
Nov 23, 2007

The British Empire was built on cups of tea, and if you think I'm going into battle without one, you're sorely mistaken!

namesake posted:

people should be doing whatever they can to avoid using the train service on strike days.

Isn't the point of a strike to demonstrate the necessity of the particular service?

Doing anything to mitigate the impact of the strike just makes it easier for bosses to claim everything's fine and there's no need to accede to any demands.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It should demonstrate the necessity of the workers, if the service can be sufficiently functional (i.e, make money) without them then they have no bargaining power. Not using the service denies the operator money.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

bloody woke builders, even the ones that do have a fried breakfast eat wholegrain toast and use sweetener in their tea! it’s absolute madness, I had a fella round the other day and when he bent over I could barely see any of his asscrack! what is the world coming to?

Umbra Dubium
Nov 23, 2007

The British Empire was built on cups of tea, and if you think I'm going into battle without one, you're sorely mistaken!

OwlFancier posted:

It should demonstrate the necessity of the workers, if the service can be sufficiently functional (i.e, make money) without them then they have no bargaining power. Not using the service denies the operator money.

Oh, absolutely.

In the case of a train strike, if I bought a ticket and never got to my destination I'd want a refund, so the operator would probably be making a net loss?

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
What about people with season/monthly passes? Also I thought half the point was that rail operators weren't making profits anymore so the government were just paying them a fee to run services instead?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I suppose yeah if you can figure out some way to use the service counterproductively. But just not using it doesn't make the strike ineffective, it doesn't matter if striking causes people to be unable to use the service or unwilling to use the service, either way it demonstrates that without the striking workers there the service cannot be used to benefit the owners.

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

Smugly smiling across the picket line as I start to poo poo myself on the train

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

OwlFancier posted:

In Japan (I am led to believe) transport workers often take industrial action by refusing to sell tickets or enforce fares - they still turn up for duties (and, crucially, still draw wages) but the public travel for free. AIUI this arose as a way of circumventing the "ordinary people can't get to work because of entitled trade unionists holding the economy to ransom" line and because in much of Japan if mass transit doesn't function neither does society. The railways and buses are mostly privatised, so a 'fare-free' strike hits the employers right in the bottom line and usually forced the government to step in and arbitrate.

I read somewhere/sometime that a British union considered a similar action at one point but the legal advice was that it would open up strikers to various breech of contract/dereliction of duty/gross misconduct charges because under British employment law you either withdraw all your labour or you perform your duties. You can't oversee a station but wave people through open ticket barriers, and you can't do all the duties of a train guard/conductor except checking tickets and enforcing byelaws.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.

BalloonFish posted:

In Japan (I am led to believe) transport workers often take industrial action by refusing to sell tickets or enforce fares - they still turn up for duties (and, crucially, still draw wages) but the public travel for free. AIUI this arose as a way of circumventing the "ordinary people can't get to work because of entitled trade unionists holding the economy to ransom" line and because in much of Japan if mass transit doesn't function neither does society. The railways and buses are mostly privatised, so a 'fare-free' strike hits the employers right in the bottom line and usually forced the government to step in and arbitrate.

I read somewhere/sometime that a British union considered a similar action at one point but the legal advice was that it would open up strikers to various breech of contract/dereliction of duty/gross misconduct charges because under British employment law you either withdraw all your labour or you perform your duties. You can't oversee a station but wave people through open ticket barriers, and you can't do all the duties of a train guard/conductor except checking tickets and enforcing byelaws.

Here's the secret, though.

You absolutely can and should.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Could the ticket sellers and enforcers not just go on strike, or is it an 'everyone or no-one' thing?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Given that a lot of it is automated, it would probably be harder.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

Apraxin posted:

tradesmen nowadays having hobbies and talking to their friends, what is the world coming to

Woke is a completely meaningless word now.

McFlurry Fan #1
Dec 31, 2005

He can't kill me. I'm indestructible. Everybody knows that

Apraxin posted:

Bring back great British builders who are only allowed to discuss immigrants, whats now illegal because of the EU and what's wrong with good old imperial measurements.

I know that the Mail has a large audience and that I basically live in a leftist echo chamber but everything I see from it is beyond self parody

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Apraxin posted:

Does make me wonder, what is it about the conservative brain that just LOVES to assign stereotypes to people? Do they want to make sure everybody is correctly in their rightful place, or are they just too lacking in empathy to understand that not everyone thinks the same way? Probably both.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.
when I worked as labourer to various trades we rarely had a fry up first thing because you wouldn't be able to get poo poo done after a mega breakfast with extra black pudden and fried bread

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

If builders spent less time eating avocado on toast we might have more bloomin ‘ouses!!!!

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
This morning I'm getting an artisanal almond croissant and a latte from the local coffee place and then coming back to work from home. If I see a builder along the way I'll give him a knowing nod. Thank you for your service, builder.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Jippa posted:

Nah it just means pussy now. The papers have just found a new word since they can't call people sissies without being accused of homophobia.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

From a random tweet I saw the other day, station operators refusing to close ticket barriers on driver's strike days would be considered secondary action in the UK and illegal, as they're not the ones on strike.

Jippa posted:

It's a term used by black activists in the US that never had any real purchase in the UK prior to the Daily Mail discovering it anyway.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
When people tried to shift it from "staying" woke to "being" woke, it lost all meaning

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Apraxin posted:

I work with a guy who's vegetarian, loves gardening and hardcore into animal rights, but he still thinks the Rwanda plan is great and voted for brexit. The Daily Mail can breath easy.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Kokoro Wish posted:

Here's the secret, though.

You absolutely can and should.

Giving away goods and services without approval and/or justification is treated as theft from your employer. It's absolutely a dismissal offence, and it will probably lead to prosecution if the scale is grand enough.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

bessantj posted:

I work with a guy who's vegetarian, loves gardening and hardcore into animal rights, but he still thinks the Rwanda plan is great and voted for brexit. The Daily Mail can breath easy.

Is he a failed artist with a grudge too?

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

bessantj posted:

Seems reasonably consistent if you only care about the suffering of non-human animals. It's a bit niche, but at least it's an ethos

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

His Divine Shadow posted:

Is he a failed artist with a grudge too?

Ha. He's quite left on many issues, always votes Labour and hate the tories. We all contain interesting contradictions.

Failed Imagineer posted:

Seems reasonably consistent if you only care about the suffering of non-human animals. It's a bit niche, but at least it's an ethos

He's also the classic "gays can get married if they want to, but don't shove it in my face."

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Noxville posted:

Does make me wonder, what is it about the conservative brain that just LOVES to assign stereotypes to people? Do they want to make sure everybody is correctly in their rightful place, or are they just too lacking in empathy to understand that not everyone thinks the same way? Probably both.

I think the former is definitely involved. Stereotypes, archetypes, roles to perform, all favourites of conservative thought. Academics and actors are supposed to be [ancient gay slur] [more modern gay slur] woke, plus it gives them someone to hate, but builders? Nooo!

Is it Witches Abroad where the toymaker or someone gets executed for not being red-faced and jolly enough, in the perfect storybook land? Something like that.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Yep, Witches Abroad.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
That and the neoliberal model says that you should work and be a passive consumer whenever you're not doing your job of creating something useful for capital.

Time spent wondering why things are the way they are without doing it through a sanctioned consumer product is time wasted, that may lead to dangerous academic thought.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
I like my proletariat like my porridge - lumpen as hell

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Kinda sucks that there is almost nowhere on the internet to discuss anything that doesnt leverage you as fodder for venture capitalist speculation.

And signing up here just meant you were funding an idiot racist wife-beater until very recently. Looking forward to discover that Jeffrey is a CIA op

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Failed Imagineer posted:

I like my proletariat like my porridge - lumpen as hell
The two genders