Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Why do you read this thread anyway?
This poll is closed.
I enjoy reading contemporary newspaper comics. 64 26.02%
I hate reading contemporary newspaper comics. 42 17.07%
I enjoy reading historical newspaper comics. 88 35.77%
I enjoy reading newspaper comics from foreign countries. 52 21.14%
Total: 246 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
:siren:Friendly reminder that Crabgrass starts up in actual newspapers next Monday June 27th! Grab a copy if you spot it in the wild!:siren:

Big Nate Year 1 (May 23-24, 1991)

Old School Peanuts (Aug 5, 1953)

idgi

Calvin and Hobbes (Mar 5-6, 1991)

Blind Alley

Support Adam's Patreon here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Cheer Up Boss Dharma

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

kidcoelacanth posted:

yeah that was the safe bet, was mostly just wondering based on him mentioning WW2 damage
It wasn't "damage" that it suffered during WWII - the body remained unrepaired after the earthquake and during WWII the Japanese government legally reclaimed it for the purposes of smelting it down for war materials, leaving only the severed face intact.

Nekonaughey

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

an admin fat fingered a permaban and all i got was this lousy av

Murdstone posted:

I am positive Kotzky had a mirror at his drawing table and that's why his facial expressions are so great.

Probably the main reason I still post that comic is his art.

Tommie was modeled after Lucille Ball, which is why she has the best facial expressions of the three roommates

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...

Ghostlight posted:

It wasn't "damage" that it suffered during WWII - the body remained unrepaired after the earthquake and during WWII the Japanese government legally reclaimed it for the purposes of smelting it down for war materials, leaving only the severed face intact.
Translator's footnote corner: Right, that's a bit of imprecision with the translation to save space on my part - I translated it as "the body was destroyed" but it's "destroyed" in the sense of "requisitioned, purposefully destroyed and melted down" and not "destroyed by bombs". Just writing "the body was requisitioned" felt to me like it might have the sense that they used it as-is somehow, and there wasn't really space for more than one word, so something like "the body was melted down for scrap" wouldn't have fit.

ellie the beep
Jun 15, 2007

Vaginas, my subject.
Plane hulls, my medium.

Giant Ethicist posted:

Translator's footnote corner: Right, that's a bit of imprecision with the translation to save space on my part - I translated it as "the body was destroyed" but it's "destroyed" in the sense of "requisitioned, purposefully destroyed and melted down" and not "destroyed by bombs". Just writing "the body was requisitioned" felt to me like it might have the sense that they used it as-is somehow, and there wasn't really space for more than one word, so something like "the body was melted down for scrap" wouldn't have fit.

maybe 'recycled' ?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

I don't think you could really cram in what actually happened into the comic with word choices. It's just one of those supplementary details that this thread as an audience probably isn't familiar with while q-rais' intended audience might be. Part of the fun of reading foreign comics is these small little stories about the world I might otherwise have never been exposed to, which is why I elaborated on the buddha being "destroyed" in WWII (which it was, just not by enemy action)

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.
Modesty Blaise: Top Traitor

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...

Ghostlight posted:

I don't think you could really cram in what actually happened into the comic with word choices. It's just one of those supplementary details that this thread as an audience probably isn't familiar with while q-rais' intended audience might be. Part of the fun of reading foreign comics is these small little stories about the world I might otherwise have never been exposed to, which is why I elaborated on the buddha being "destroyed" in WWII (which it was, just not by enemy action)

Yup yup, and thanks for giving the extra bit of history! I don't think I'd translate it differently today; losing a bit of nuance is just the necessary byproduct of translating in a way that favors "readability to people who don't necessarily know anything about Japan, its culture, or its history" over "accuracy"*. While I'm firmly in the "faithful to the readers" camp, I do appreciate Nabokov's love of "footnotes like skyscrapers," and like being able to explain my translation choices when I can.

*Just for example, over in the BYOB webcomics thread, I've been translating a light romance comic (that's probably a bit too anime to really fit in here), but I had to lose a fair bit of infomation encoded in people's choice of honorifics and whether to use someone's family or given name in favor of something that actually sounds like how high school students talk to each other in English.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Giant Ethicist posted:

Perhaps "the body was scrapped"?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

readingatwork posted:

Big Nate Year 1 (May 23-24, 1991)

Why do all the adults think Rusty Sienna is poo poo? I had thought it was just Nate's father, but no; the art teacher also seems to think his show's garbage.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

If Nate likes it it sucks.

I'm with the squares.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof
https://bignate.fandom.com/wiki/Rusty_Sienna

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
It's A Sketchy Life for June 17, 1926, and the Broadway number begins with an entry from Robert Orcry(?).

At the time of its closing in 1927, Abie's Irish Rose, the story of an interfaith marriage between an Irish-Catholic woman and a Jewish man, was the longest running show in Broadway history, at 2,327 performances. Life's theatrical critic Robert Benchley came up with a few capsule descriptions for it before the initial run's inertia wore him down, including (ahem) "Something awful", "the comic spirit of 1876", and (my favorite) "Hebrews 13:8", which, in the King James Version, reads “Jesus Christ, the same yesterday, and today, and forever.”

Loren Stout:

Peter Arno:

Gluyas Williams:

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Tiggum posted:

Why do all the adults think Rusty Sienna is poo poo? I had thought it was just Nate's father, but no; the art teacher also seems to think his show's garbage.

Rusty is a parody of Bob Ross who was still alive in 91' and had something of a reputation for being bad and tedious.

Ironically a lot of people have rediscovered Bob Ross's work in recent years and really enjoy it so it would seem that Nate has retroactively been proven right.

E: Here, judge for yourself: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vrAMRxBB5KI

readingatwork fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Jun 20, 2022

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.
In today's Blueberry: Lt. King does not respect terms of parley - how'd the hell he get promoted, anyway?, or Pearl gets the last laugh, or Please make sure that your inflatable jacket is on securely before exiting the train

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Docks

Retail

Popcom (double Starr edition)

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
Heathcliff

Compu-toon

Garfield

Overboard

Monty

For Better or For Worse

Classic Arlo and Janis (July 13, 2000)

Rae The Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

On The Fastrack

Safe Havens

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

readingatwork posted:

Rusty is a parody of Bob Ross who was still alive in 91' and had something of a reputation for being bad and tedious.

Ironically a lot of people have rediscovered Bob Ross's work in recent years and really enjoy it so it would seem that Nate has retroactively been proven right.

E: Here, judge for yourself: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vrAMRxBB5KI

Didn't know he was seen like that when he was still alive and making his show. He's like pretty universally beloved at this point.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Zerilan posted:

Didn't know he was seen like that when he was still alive and making his show. He's like pretty universally beloved at this point.

My recollection was just that it was a very niche show and not necessarily bad. Back before any episode of any show was accessible at any time and you could watch stuff while working and so on, there was much more exciting stuff. And while maybe as a kid I would rather watch Mister Roger's Neighborhood or cartoons or whatever, I don't remember anything negative ever said about it that wasn't down to matters of interest.

ukonvasara
Aug 16, 2012

a mixture of gravity and waggery

Drakyn posted:

He writes Dethany's fashion choices like Rose Is Rose wrote Rose's consumption of jalapenos: with a needlessly self-amused sense of awe.

I could never quite find the words to say this so concisely; this is perfect!

Zerilan posted:

I think Bob Ross is primarily adored (now) as a TV presenter; as far as I know, it's not like there's been a massive reappraisal of the quality of his art, which is generally, like, "fine". The idea seems to be that it's a bit ridiculous for Nate to think of knockoff Bob Ross as the Best Artist Ever, amplified by the weird mean-spiritedness present in every interaction in the comic.

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.

Take It From the Tinkersons

Macanudo

Dark Side of the Horse

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Classic Nancy 1947

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.
Solver Autumn Special

John Allison's Patreon John Allison's Gumroad store
Steeple website

John Allison posted:

There’s a point in this comic where you can detect how completely I’ve internalised the logic of Seinfeld. It’s not the panel where Charlotte is flanked by both Energy Crow and a bat. That’s my own thing.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

manero posted:

Classic Nancy 1947

Nancy testified before the House of Un-American Activities

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

ukonvasara posted:

I think Bob Ross is primarily adored (now) as a TV presenter; as far as I know, it's not like there's been a massive reappraisal of the quality of his art, which is generally, like, "fine". The idea seems to be that it's a bit ridiculous for Nate to think of knockoff Bob Ross as the Best Artist Ever, amplified by the weird mean-spiritedness present in every interaction in the comic.
They stream Bob Ross episodes on twitch every weekend and get thousands of viewers every time. :v:

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Lungi

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 6/19/02

Brenda Starr 12/20-22/48

As you may already have guessed, this story is gonna be dumb even by Brenda Starr standards, so strap in.

Smokey Stover 8/8/48

Everyday Movies 4/13/35

"That's gratitude for you, because I get along with cranky customers, they're going to take me out of sub-deb department and put me in the stylish stout."

("Sub-debs" were younger (<16) teen girls.)

Bonus Ad! Have this and be the coolest dad on your block! (And that "big 52-inch screen"? They mean 52 square inches.)

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Vintage Valiant (Nov. 04, 1951)

Val is maybe not the best suited to care for a toddler

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.

Potsticker posted:

My recollection was just that it was a very niche show and not necessarily bad. Back before any episode of any show was accessible at any time and you could watch stuff while working and so on, there was much more exciting stuff. And while maybe as a kid I would rather watch Mister Roger's Neighborhood or cartoons or whatever, I don't remember anything negative ever said about it that wasn't down to matters of interest.

Honestly, most of the things on American public television in the 80s were niche. Bob Ross showed up in that last stretch of PBS space before marketing consultants started running the game. On our state network, he used to be slotted with shows like Lap Quilting with Georgia Bonesteel or The Woodwright's Shop.

Mutts

Sally Forth

Skippy (September 10, 1934)

Peanuts (June 23, 1975)

Funky Winkerbean

Crankshaft

Mutt and Jeff

Rip Haywire

Thimble Theater (January 19, 1939)

Out Our Way (February 16-18, 1939)

Meanwhile, the Moonfixer saga gets the parents involved...

TyrsHTML
May 13, 2004

EasyEW posted:

Meanwhile, the Moonfixer saga gets the parents involved...

$14 in 1939 is worth $294.40 today. Holy hell kid.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

riderchop posted:

Safe Havens

You're a MONGOOSE, and also a predator of small mammals! You're in exactly the same situation! You were also, as far as you knew, secretly a predator of the person you were dating! You're upset because he didn't tell you he was actually a snake, but you didn't tell him you were actually a mongoose so I have no idea how you can still be on this level of moral outrage!

I am so annoyed about this!!!

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Bizarro

The Family Circus

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

A Very Dick-Out Pop Culture Kevin and Kell Christmas

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

davidspackage posted:

Nancy testified before the House of Un-American Activities

Look out, Little Lefty

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Vater und Sohn: Marooned

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
A+J

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Jucika "288 - Jucika And Discretion"

"289 - Jucika At The Museum" NSFW Nudity

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

EasyEW posted:

Sally Forth

Sal respects pronouns.

2018 Spiderman

1980 comics

Locher Tracy

Footrot Flats

The Lockhorns

Computoon: Origins

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
Dinky Dinkerton (getting timg'd), Flyin' Jenny (puttin' two and two together), and The Shadow (bombing Nazis) Mar 6-8, 1941

:sigh: It was probably bound to happen at some point, but Dinky is definitely going behind the timg of shame for the foreseeable future.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

F Minus

"I shall cook it if you can answer me these questions three!"

Mark Trail

Mary Worth

Real

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe