Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Haha holy poo poo. Just in lands that's a massive haul.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
realtalk that's enough value that you're almost definitely gonna get people trying to scam you so be hyperaware about it. there's gonna be cards you might want to save if you, like, really get into commander but you are almost entirely better off cashing in heavily

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
Those really are the highlights, I genuinely don't have a lot of alpha/beta stuff. The drains are a signed alpha and a regular beta, I think. I mostly only traded for/bought alpha/beta stuff for use in decks that I really liked, I didn't start playing early enough to actually purchase any in packs. I think aside from the rare expensive cards, if I were to sell them, the sheer quantity of cards that may be worth a buck or five would probably outweigh the high dollar pieces. That binder is full of all sorts of weird stuff, but skimming through TCGPlayer, I didn't see anything that really jumped out as particularly crazy valuable.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

litany of gulps posted:

Those really are the highlights, I genuinely don't have a lot of alpha/beta stuff. The drains are a signed alpha and a regular beta, I think. I mostly only traded for/bought alpha/beta stuff for use in decks that I really liked, I didn't start playing early enough to actually purchase any in packs. I think aside from the rare expensive cards, if I were to sell them, the sheer quantity of cards that may be worth a buck or five would probably outweigh the high dollar pieces. That binder is full of all sorts of weird stuff, but skimming through TCGPlayer, I didn't see anything that really jumped out as particularly crazy valuable.

Bro that Volrath’s Stronghold in the first pic is like $80-100. I think you’re underestimating things

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

litany of gulps posted:

I really don't have a ton of pre-revised stuff. Browsing through TCGPlayer, these seems to be some of the highlights...

Hey listen, this is the point you should be really REALLY careful. You will now have an unlimited amount of people trying to make "deals" with you that are probably not going to be in your favor. These types of hauls are rare and I don't put it past goons to send you pm's and rip you off.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Nice duals

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Sickening posted:

Hey listen, this is the point you should be really REALLY careful. You will now have an unlimited amount of people trying to make "deals" with you that are probably not going to be in your favor. These types of hauls are rare and I don't put it past goons to send you pm's and rip you off.

Noted, thanks! I'm not in any hurry or need to make any money off of this stuff, and it has a lot of nostalgic value to me.

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Bro that Volrath’s Stronghold in the first pic is like $80-100. I think you’re underestimating things

That is certainly possible, there's another one next to it under that camel, haha. Maybe I'll need to go through with a finer toothed comb.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Pretty much anything random Beta is a ton now too because of 93-94.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I can tell I'm getting older and more mature because I'm more excited for you than jealous of you.

Please be careful turning this into potentially life-changing money.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
yeah uh. like even those oases are 20+ bucks each.

poo poo, I'd sit down and help you go through it all to find stuff that would be worth selling if I could, but I'm guessing you're nowhere near boston. like, you have to understand, there's a shitload of commons, uncommons, and formerly-lovely-but-found-use-due-to-later-mechanics rares from the early era up through even the early 2000's sets that are worth a ridiculous amount. and tons of cards on the reserved list(will never be reprinted) that are absolutely going to be worth a lot regardless of quality.

got a bunch of mirage? you probably have some tutors worth a bunch. got any lotus petals, a common? congrats on your 15-20 bucks a pop. that sort of thing.

litany of gulps posted:

Noted, thanks! I'm not in any hurry or need to make any money off of this stuff, and it has a lot of nostalgic value to me.

That is certainly possible, there's another one next to it under that camel, haha. Maybe I'll need to go through with a finer toothed comb.
take it slow, for sure. and nostalgia is one thing, but being able to put a down payment on a house is another

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Jun 20, 2022

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

You're sitting on a gigantic pile of cash. Everyone else itt has given you great advice on the cards which you should absolutely listen to. I would further recommend that if you plan to try to sell most or all of it that once you do that, you should look into getting legitimate financial advice for what to do with the money, if you aren't used to having tens of thousands of dollars in disposable cash and don't have anything immediate like loans to pay off.

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Sickening posted:

"Haha, hey there pal, got some magical cards there for sale, don'tcha? How's about I offer you a crisp $100 bill in exchange for all that binder? Boy, remember when those dual lands were $10 a piece? Shame they've appreciated in value so muc-- No, no, shut up Gil, make the buy, make the buy!"

No, seriously, you've got at a lot of valuable cards there. Sell slow on eBay and buy a nice Prius or something!

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

That beta rock hydra is like almost 500 bucks. Lol

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

litany of gulps posted:

you are incredibly more chill than I would be if I suddenly realized that I had a few thousand more dollars than I thought I did sitting around

I'm on mobile and I think I just said it but even for nostalgia's sake I'd see if you can sell off the duals or the reserved list stuff that's worth anything; there's few formats that you'll actually get any play out of them these days but to the people that do play those formats (especially duals for people playing the competitive level of commander as well as everywhere else they're legal) they're going to snap those up

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

litany of gulps posted:

I really don't have a ton of pre-revised stuff. Browsing through TCGPlayer, these seems to be some of the highlights...

:eyepop: :wth: :psypop: :pusheen:

lol gently caress magic, sell all this and go pay your kid's college

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

flatluigi posted:

realtalk that's enough value that you're almost definitely gonna get people trying to scam you so be hyperaware about it. there's gonna be cards you might want to save if you, like, really get into commander but you are almost entirely better off cashing in heavily

The Shortest Path posted:

You're sitting on a gigantic pile of cash. Everyone else itt has given you great advice on the cards which you should absolutely listen to. I would further recommend that if you plan to try to sell most or all of it that once you do that, you should look into getting legitimate financial advice for what to do with the money, if you aren't used to having tens of thousands of dollars in disposable cash and don't have anything immediate like loans to pay off.

signal boosting these

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Download the tcgplayer app and scan EVERYTHING

Pvt. Public
Sep 9, 2004

I am become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds.
Yeah, I'd be happy to help in person if you happen to be near central IL, but the TCGPlayer app is definitely a good way to go. It will output the list to a spreadsheet that you can send around to online buyers to get accurate quotes for the cards. Condition is also very, very important this era of stuff, too, so be sure to accurately record that.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Pvt. Public posted:

Yeah, I'd be happy to help in person if you happen to be near central IL, but the TCGPlayer app is definitely a good way to go. It will output the list to a spreadsheet that you can send around to online buyers to get accurate quotes for the cards. Condition is also very, very important this era of stuff, too, so be sure to accurately record that.

I would say that conditional matters the least for this era of stuff compared to cards newer than it.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Silhouette posted:

especially because you might get offers to buy everything in one bulk transaction, and it helps to know the total value of your pile of cards because a low-ball offer in your case could lose you literal thousands of dollars

e: I would really encourage going to the sa-mart thread I linked to first if you're looking to sell, you'll almost certainly get a better deal for the higher-end stuff than at any of the big retailers. there might be some goon crazy enough to buy the whole thing

kalel fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Jun 20, 2022

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

I have yet to see a reasonable offer on an entire collection. Take that how you will. Losing 40+% of the value of your collection in a single transaction just doesn't cut it except for those strapped for time or are utterly lazy.

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Silhouette posted:

Thanks for this tip! That sounds a lot easier than typing everything in manually to check values.

kalel posted:

especially because you might get offers to buy everything in one bulk transaction, and it helps to know the total value of your pile of cards because a low-ball offer in your case could lose you literal thousands of dollars

e: I would really encourage going to the sa-mart thread I linked to first if you're looking to sell, you'll almost certainly get a better deal for the higher-end stuff than at any of the big retailers. there might be some goon crazy enough to buy the whole thing

I'd have to take some time to catalog things before making a decision about selling. I don't have kids, I'm debt-free, and I've got a decent job. I'm a little surprised by how high the valuations of some of these are, but I haven't been entirely ignorant of the fact that Magic cards have been getting more and more valuable. poo poo, I've got two copies of the Hero Quest board game, also. I'm disappointed that it hasn't matched MTG prices. You know, funny thing is, I know at least four guys that probably have similar collections sitting in their garages.

Major Operation posted:

To return to the original question of "if it would even make sense to try and get a game these days", for the cards you have the answer is: "No. Sell everything and consult a tax professional."

Hah! That seems to be the consensus.

Major Operation
Jan 1, 2006

To return to the original question of "if it would even make sense to try and get a game these days", for the cards you have the answer is: "No. Sell everything and consult a tax professional."

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

litany of gulps posted:

*frothing at the mouth*

E. Revenant
Aug 26, 2002

If the abyss gazes long into you then stare right back;
make it blink.
Love you specifically pulling out and showing off the Shivan Dragon. They give (reprints) of that card out for free now days.

It's a real trip looking at old cards that commanded high prices and comparing them to the draft trash now.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Pretty much the only shivans worth a drat are that kind

the Melissa Benson shivan art is imo just as iconic as serra angel, black lotus, and ancestral recall

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Pretty much any Melissa Benson art is.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
lmao gently caress me, unlimited Shivan Dragon is 300 bucks

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
Goon casually striking it rich :dogstare:

If you think you'll play have a look at some decklists and see what to hang on to, but if you have no attachment go make that money.

tinaun
Jun 9, 2011

tell me...
yeah if I found that in my basement I'd go make a legacy deck and sell the rest, but my store already has a pretty active scene and know what decks I like

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

Congrats on the find and please update us when you inevitably go against all the good advice ITT and sell it all for a couple grand in typical goon fashion

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

here's my offer: $500 USD and my copy of legend of Zelda: breath of the wild. this is my special goon-only offer btw. take it or leave it

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

litany of gulps posted:

Holy poo poo, that's a lot of money right there

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Yeah you're going to encounter a lot of scammers and hucksters. Like most of this thread telling you have have value there.

I'll give you, say, 200 bucks for everything? That doesn't include shipping, that's just for the psychic damage of the thread gaslighting you.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

litany of gulps posted:

Thanks for this tip! That sounds a lot easier than typing everything in manually to check values.

I'd have to take some time to catalog things before making a decision about selling. I don't have kids, I'm debt-free, and I've got a decent job. I'm a little surprised by how high the valuations of some of these are, but I haven't been entirely ignorant of the fact that Magic cards have been getting more and more valuable. poo poo, I've got two copies of the Hero Quest board game, also. I'm disappointed that it hasn't matched MTG prices. You know, funny thing is, I know at least four guys that probably have similar collections sitting in their garages.

Hah! That seems to be the consensus.

I mean, if you woke up today and had inherited $10k but all the cards vanished, would you go out and buy new copies of them? If not, you should probably sell. You can easily keep some of the ones you really like as keepsakes but man, take the cash and run.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

I should've mentioned that a friend of mine manages a legit big game store in NJ and is super honest if you want to sell the whole thing. Not sure where you are located.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
The biggest thing is just actually taking the time to put in everything and REALLY know what you have. There's nothing wrong with taking a lower % sale necessarily if your time is better spent doing something other than selling it out in pieces. But you have to know what you COULD get doing it the hard way before making that calculation.

I'm also in the camp of, the only reasonable excuse to keep this stuff is you want to insure it, put it in a safe deposit box, and bet on price inflation outpacing like, a mutual fund over the next 20 years. But even that's only if the smartest thing you could do with a windfall is socking it in a mutual fund rather than paying off credit card debt or something.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

hey guys just dug out my old binder not sure it's worth much

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

brugroffil posted:

Clearly fake. Square borders. I'll give you 50 bucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mae
Aug 1, 2010

Supesudandi wa, kukan-nai no dandidesu

brugroffil posted:

Ah yes, the power 9