Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Potato Salad posted:

One exposure to [any carcinogen] is all it takes to aggravate cancer risk. That poo poo is enduring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

Non-high-risk patient is doing a lot of heavy lifting here.

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Fireside Nut posted:

Sorry friend. Best of luck!!

Yeah, it sticks in your lungs and is too small to be expelled like other foreign particulates.

I think his quote is accurate in the sense that your risk for asbestosis, cancer and mesothelioma increases dramatically with long term exposure. When I was freaking out and reading about it after I realized I had likely been exposed years ago, I believe I read that even people with consistent occupational exposure develop mesothelioma at about a 2-10% rate. So I'm just going to try and hold out hope I 1) wasn't actually expsosed and 2) I roll the dice the right way in the next 10-30 years. :shrug:

Well put.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

CPU Abuser posted:

This is one aspect of Covid that really worries me.

I have a scratchy throat each and every morning. For me, this is literally "normal". If I didn't wake up with one, I'd wonder why.

Standard drill, long established: 10 ml of OTC cough syrup if it's bad enough, hot latte for a certainly once I've visited the coffee stand. Problem solved.

In my case, it really is allergies. They've ruled my life with an iron fist since I hit 14.

I'm just unspeakably glad I live in the Vancouver/Everett/Seattle/Tacoma corridor, where I really have to haul off and kick the Allergy Gods in the nuts with a steel-toed boot, in order to be rewarded with an asthma attack. I've had exactly one of those since I moved up here, and the circumstances were such that I knew, going in, that I'd probably get one.

And no twice-yearly bouts of bronchitis, which were normal in Tucson while I was in grad school. None. Amazing. I actually seem to have a healthy pair of lungs.

And I never seem to get the muscle aches that ought to be diagnostic for an early stage viral infection. Flu? Yeah, several times over the last quarter century. Achy back? Nope.

So what the hell do I use as a tripwire? A signal that tells me "OK, time to start burning through your stash of rapid tests"?

As someone in a similar boat, at least in my experience the tickle/feelings from pollen/allergy induced symptoms have a different feeling/taste/flavor than virally tinged ones, so just spend a bunch of time contemplating how you feel with normal allergies and then hopefully the viral signs will be notably different enough for you to now notice?

Ebola Roulette
Sep 13, 2010

No matter what you win lose ragepiss.
So I've encountered an infinite loop where the pharmacy tells us a pediatrician has to give our 3 year old the COVID vaccine because they don't give it to <5, then the pediatrician tells us they don't carry COVID shots at all and we need to go to a pharmacy, and back and forth

Just gotta keep trying pharmacies I guess but :smithicide:

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

This is the sort of stuff my dad posts on Facebook event posts. This was for a coffee house live music performance thing. Should really get him an account.

drat man come on, all the things this man has done for you and you can’t even spring $10 to get him out of his Facebook purgatory?? do it now and apologize for the late Father’s Day gift.

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde
reposting this for the new page:

What does "severe" mean? i.e., hospitalization? intubation? What does "non-high risk" mean? Non-smoker, non-obese, <40?

e:

it appears to refere to this study:
https://weekly.chinacdc.cn/en/article/doi/10.46234/ccdcw2022.115

quote:

We used baseline information, VST (e: viral shedding time), laboratory results, computer tomography (CT) scan results, and clinical prognosis for risk analyses. Measures of clinical prognosis included progression from infection to pneumonia and from infection to critical illness. Risk group were: patients ≥60 years old; patients who had stable underlying medical conditions (including cardiovascular disease, diabetes mellitus, lung disease, hepatic disease, cerebrovascular disease, and kidney disease) or who had an immunodeficiency [e.g., human immunodeficiency virus infection, chronic use of corticosteroids, or use of other immunosuppressive drugs]

quote:

Statistical significance of comparisons of baseline clinical characteristics and demographics were tested with Mann-Whitney U, χ² test, or Fisher’s exact test, as appropriate. Due to overlap of age and comorbidities with risk group, we developed two multivariable Cox regression models to estimate adjusted hazards ratios (aHR) for factors influencing VST. VST was defined as the difference in days between the first positive test and the first of two consecutively-negative tests. We adjusted for age, sex, comorbidities, vaccination status, final diagnose, and initial symptoms in model 1. We adjusted for risk group, sex, vaccination status, final diagnosis, and initial symptoms in model 2. We used logistic regression to estimate adjusted odds ratios (aOR) of risk factors for developing COVID-19 pneumonia. We adjusted for age, sex, comorbidities, vaccination status, and initial symptoms in the logistic model.

quote:

In the entire study cohort, 22 patients developed severe/critical infection; all were in the risk group. Severity rates among all subjects and risk-group subjects were 0.065% and 0.238%, respectively. Hypertension (31.8%) was the most common comorbidity, followed by diabetes (13.6%) and lung disease (13.6%). Patients in the risk group who developed severe/critical infection were older (75.8±10.7 vs. 60.0±11.3, P<0.001) and were more likely to be unvaccinated (54.5% vs. 24.2%; P=0.002).

quote:

Our study had at least three limitations. First, we only enrolled non-severe, stabilized Omicron patients and therefore could not describe the overall clinical spectrum of Omicron infections, especially severe Omicron infections. Second, not all patients received CT scan and laboratory tests. Third, all symptoms were self-reported, potentially introducing bias.

Sounds like they only enrolled non-severe patients. Of those, only .065% became severe. They do not define "severe" unless I missed it. IMO the most important bit is the evidence that VST only persists for a week or so past the first positive test for non-severe patients. I was worried the infected were infectious for longer.

AppleNippleBOB
May 13, 2007

Ebola Roulette posted:

So I've encountered an infinite loop where the pharmacy tells us a pediatrician has to give our 3 year old the COVID vaccine because they don't give it to <5, then the pediatrician tells us they don't carry COVID shots at all and we need to go to a pharmacy, and back and forth

Just gotta keep trying pharmacies I guess but :smithicide:

It still needs the Walensky stamp, correct? (*which is expected today/tomorrow)

or are you just figuring out your plan?

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

AppleNippleBOB posted:

She approved over the weekend.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
https://twitter.com/ee_kelsey/status/1523772622051606528

What.

This is worse than the Kickstarter elastomerics.

Ebola Roulette
Sep 13, 2010

No matter what you win lose ragepiss.

AppleNippleBOB posted:

Could've sworn the CDC okayed it but either way I need to know where my kid can even get the shot

Sunny Side Up
Jun 22, 2004

Mayoist Third Condimentist

blue squares posted:

recommendation for tape to help my Aura seal?

Hypafix????

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

Ebola Roulette posted:

Could've sworn the CDC okayed it but either way I need to know where my kid can even get the shot
Since it just got approved, the pharmacies in your area might need a bit more time to get their poo poo together.

The pharmacists might also have forgotten that it was approved or that they have the shots since I hear covid can cause memory loss

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003

DickParasite posted:

Sounds like they only enrolled non-severe patients. Of those, only .065% became severe. They do not define "severe" unless I missed it. IMO the most important bit is the evidence that VST only persists for a week or so past the first positive test for non-severe patients. I was worried the infected were infectious for longer.

So... outcomes are good when we remove everyone who had a bad outcome? loving awesome!

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica

BIG-DICK-BUTT-gently caress posted:

quote:

Asbestosis is caused by breathing in asbestos fibers. It requires a relatively large exposure over a long period of time, which typically only occur in those who directly work with asbestos.[1][2]

Asbestosis is one sort of health issue caused by asbestosis exposure. There are many!

There is no safe amount of asbestos exposure. Even one-time asbestos exposure can lead to asbestos-related diseases such as pleural thickening, lung cancer or mesothelioma.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Asbestos is fine...it was only banned because of Big Cancel Culture and political correctness run amok.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
https://twitter.com/Cameron_RMT/status/1513715466597920769

😡

Surprise roadtrip

https://twitter.com/Cameron_RMT/status/1513717665260466178

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

Rescue Toaster posted:

So... outcomes are good when we remove everyone who had a bad outcome? loving awesome!

It's a drat good thing that the entire Western media completely ignore everything China says, otherwise we would see ABC, CBS, CNN, and everywhere else immediately put out the headline "Omicron has zero risk for all low-risk people!"

Fireside Nut
Feb 10, 2010

turp

I recently spoke with the head pulmonologist at our clinic and FWIW he said almost all of the asbestos related cases they see are from people who have occupational exposure. I totally agree that a single exposure, like mine, can lead to issues, but I'm just trying to remain and not worry as much since there's nothing I can do and, if anything, worrying could exacerbate/accelerate any potential issues lol

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Salt Fish posted:

Asbestos is fine...it was only banned because of Big Cancel Culture and political correctness run amok.

Surprised. I searched and I couldn't find any actual opeds about this.

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003

Salt Fish posted:

Asbestos is natural unlike nasty synthetic insulation these days made of chemicals.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Platystemon posted:

Surprise roadtrip

it's a car just open the windows

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

DickParasite posted:

God the Australian governments are just pathetic. I guarantee you at least three senior managers collaborated on this.

The function of risk assessments like the one posted is to just exist somewhere in the departmental intranet so in the rare case that anyone does hurt their back lifting the air purifiers they can point to it and say "We did everything in our power to prevent this exact thing happening, here's the paper trail to prove it" and reduce their liability. They have entire departments who pump out these risk assessment guidances for every single physical item or product that may appear in any governmental workplace and I can promise you that the chairs they sit on and the desks they work at also have similar assessments which go into great lengths about the dangers of musculoskeletal injuries if they are picked up or moved in any way.
They also spend a ton of money on 'training': one time when I started a short 6 month job at a local state governmental department they made us all sit through lessons on how to correctly adjust our chairs for proper ergonomic support and the proper way to use a keyboard. It's actually useful stuff if you never thought about that but pretty much everyone just sat through it like they were sitting through an airplane safety demonstration just before takeoff. The HR department in every government office loving love this poo poo.

I was always that one annoying guy in the office who would actually browse the department intranet and try and find the dumbest, most useless risk assessment paper for a laugh. One time I found a chemical Safety Data Sheet on Ivory white soap which noted that there was a risk of very mild dermatitis if people overused it and the recommendation for immediate treatment was to wash it off their skin with soap and water lol

E: one government office I worked at had Safety Data Sheets on Tipex/White Out correctional fluid and eventually banned it because of one of the chemicals it contained. Team Leaders had to go around and confiscate everyone's bottles of White Out and we were issued lovely water-based White Out which didn't work properly

Snowglobe of Doom has issued a correction as of 17:30 on Jun 20, 2022

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica

Fireside Nut posted:

I recently spoke with the head pulmonologist at our clinic and FWIW he said almost all of the asbestos related cases they see are from people who have occupational exposure. I totally agree that a single exposure, like mine, can lead to issues, but I'm just trying to remain and not worry as much since there's nothing I can do and, if anything, worrying could exacerbate/accelerate any potential issues lol

For sure. Just clearing up that single post which wasn't correct.

My house, and most older homes in the u.s. have asbestos all about. All you can do about most hazards are to not think about them. Like covid. Imagine still going out in bane masks lol

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
https://twitter.com/ARISense_AQ/status/1524408080703782913

:thunk:

https://twitter.com/ARISense_AQ/status/1525142693294157825

O.K. now do indoor bioærosols.

Rutibex posted:

it's a car just open the windows

They’re Australian, so I assume that dangerous wild animals would get in if they did that.

Iverron
May 13, 2012

wife has paxlovid rebound lol

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

https://twitter.com/BidenHQ

Nocturtle posted:

They seem to think so:

There have been some articles about persistent viral RNA and antigens causing health problems post infection for other viruses. However a persistent infection seems the simplest explanation for the presence of these proteins at 12 months, and SARS-COV-2 is apparently great at spreading through the body and getting into places the immune system can't clear out.

What's disappointing are the time distribution of these measurements:

Not seeing any improvement over time....

Maybe an antiviral like Paxlovid and a booster shot could help clear these infections out. Seems like something you'd want to do before finding out about the additional health risks of a chronic infection.

Edit

Pfizer is not better. It is strictly worse. They're only getting better efficacy because they're comparing 3 dose results vs 2 dose. All COVID shots are three dose or more at this point, and Moderna will almost certainly show better efficacy when it applies for a booster EUA.

Pfizer is currently having to apply for all three doses at the same time because their two dose series was ineffective, as noted. They screwed up.

So moderna hasn’t applied for 3 doses for kids under 5? Is it in testing?

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

looks like covid can cause advanced beer nerd hand

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

The function of risk assessments like the one posted is to just exist somewhere in the departmental intranet so in the rare case that anyone does hurt their back lifting the air purifiers they can point to it and say "We did everything in our power to prevent this exact thing happening, here's the paper trail to prove it" and reduce their liability. They have entire departments who pump out these risk assessment guidances for every single physical item or product that may appear in any governmental workplace and I can promise you that the chairs they sit on and the desks they work at also have similar assessments which go into great lengths about the dangers of musculoskeletal injuries if they are picked up or moved in any way.
They also spend a ton of money on 'training': one time when I started a short 6 month job at a local state governmental department they made us all sit through lessons on how to correctly adjust our chairs for proper ergonomic support and the proper way to use a keyboard. It's actually useful stuff if you never thought about that but pretty much everyone just sat through it like they were sitting through an airplane safety demonstration just before takeoff. The HR department in every government office loving love this poo poo.

I was always that one annoying guy in the office who would actually browse the department intranet and try and find the dumbest, most useless risk assessment paper for a laugh. One time I found a chemical Safety Data Sheet on Ivory white soap which noted that there was a risk of very mild dermatitis if people overused it and the recommendation for immediate treatment was to wash it off their skin with soap and water lol

Lmao

Burnt_toastist
Sep 2, 2020
TrixieHardcore + Pillowpants for president 2024, Ruddy as campaign/propaganda manager.

Fireside Nut
Feb 10, 2010

turp

papa horny michael posted:

For sure. Just clearing up that single post which wasn't correct.

My house, and most older homes in the u.s. have asbestos all about. All you can do about most hazards are to not think about them. Like covid. Imagine still going out in bane masks lol

lol yeah

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

my sister tested positive for COVID a day after arriving in France. one day prior to that she had just stopped home
in Istanbul coming from another work trip to Saudi Arabia and mingled with her husband, kid, and in-laws. yesterday her husband and kid visited my folks for Father’s Day and I saw them via zoom and observed no masks in this indoor setting.

my mom was hospitalized with severe pneumonia in February 2022 after an international conference in London that everyone is sure must have been COVID, so I think it’s likely she wouldn’t handle another COVID infection that well. my dad got mildly ill too from that, but his doctor remarked that his lungs looked so bad a year later that the CT tech asked if his lungs were that of a smoker. :ohdear: :ughh:

mawarannahr has issued a correction as of 16:51 on Jun 20, 2022

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

https://twitter.com/kenklippenstein/status/1538912309837500416

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

DickParasite posted:

What does "severe" mean? i.e., hospitalization? intubation? What does "non-high risk" mean? Non-smoker, non-obese, <40?

e:

it appears to refere to this study:
https://weekly.chinacdc.cn/en/article/doi/10.46234/ccdcw2022.115

wow this is some really dumb twitter reporting haha

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Boston public schools have an indoor air quality dashboard.

That’s pretty neat.

Sadly, there are some data quality issues.

https://twitter.com/ARISense_AQ/status/1487645261937745924

Platystemon has issued a correction as of 17:05 on Jun 20, 2022

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

"Pay us more"

"OK, almost anything!"

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010

yoloer420 posted:

At least one person attending the funeral was positive - the person leading the event. I loving hate people.

I guess I'll find out how well the secure click works. What time frame should I expect to pop positive in if I'm going to?

You know there are people who have to work with COVID+ patients feet away from their faces who wear with slightly worse PPE and they usually don't get sick, right?

Well they do, but from when they all rip their masks off at once to eat donuts in the break room, not from their patients.

Dysthymia
May 13, 2022
I really appreciate Pillowpants’ contributions. It beats the… pants… off having to draw conclusions using Walgreens’ map, the BNO trackers, local metrics, and whatever the media lets slip.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Mr. Lobe posted:

"Pay us more"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P6Do1Hx0pdE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Very strong Zelensky meeting with Azov energy.