Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

MickeyFinn posted:

Like 200 years ago the train, an extremely efficient method of land transportation, was invented. A hundred years later a bunch of people said “I don’t want to share with poors” and now we are cursed until the end of time to try to make “trains but not for poor people.”

Except that was also a thing 200 years ago and solved immediately at the time with car classes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Motronic posted:

Except that was also a thing 200 years ago and solved immediately at the time with car classes.

Yah the class issue is now 'solved' by just not even building rail lines that connect poor and rich areas.

LA has had Beverly hills successfully stop that from happening for decades and now that they've finally failed they are having total meltdowns.

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.

Boris Galerkin posted:

Even if it was sentient, and it’s not, does it actually matter?

Here’s a room full of sentient beings, all waiting to die for your chicken nuggets

Actually it does, how about we not exploit other sentient beings. You don't need to tell me how capitalism works and it's still wrong.

Obviously a fancy curve fitter is not going to gain sentience but this argument rubs me the wrong way.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
i dunno when you think capitalism was invented but it definitely does not predate the domestication of animals into livestock

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.

Mr. Fall Down Terror posted:

i dunno when you think capitalism was invented but it definitely does not predate the domestication of animals into livestock

Or more generally the exploitation of one sentient being by another. The point is, do we actively try to prevent more of this exploitation or do we just take it as a given that can't be changed.

Anyway, I think I'm going to rewatch Blade Runner 2049 tonight.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*

Rebel Blob posted:

Indeed, enjoy 20 minutes of stilt buses:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kC4DwcrE658

Or more transportation of the future, like flying trains:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ZJ0KGAIM_w

I had a thought that these videos were satire that were made specifically for professional engineers to laugh at for hours, but.... are they actually serious?

Why would you need a plane that is tethered to the ground?? :wtc:

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Mercury_Storm posted:

I had a thought that these videos were satire that were made specifically for professional engineers to laugh at for hours, but.... are they actually serious?

Why would you need a plane that is tethered to the ground?? :wtc:

This doesn't even scratch the surface of the deranged beauty of Daahir Insaat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_4qKt6Wr5w

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQsNktD9zW4

Karia
Mar 27, 2013

Self-portrait, Snake on a Plane
Oil painting, c. 1482-1484
Leonardo DaVinci (1452-1591)

How are u posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQsNktD9zW4

Those are good, but none of them beat the fruit truck.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

quarantinethepast posted:

Actually it does, how about we not exploit other sentient beings. You don't need to tell me how capitalism works and it's still wrong.

Obviously a fancy curve fitter is not going to gain sentience but this argument rubs me the wrong way.

I’m not sure what argument you think I’m making but I’m a vegetarian.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

MickeyFinn posted:

Like 200 years ago the train, an extremely efficient method of land transportation, was invented. A hundred years later a bunch of people said “I don’t want to share with poors” and now we are cursed until the end of time to try to make “trains but not for poor people.”

they even solved that! there have been first class and steerage cars since basically the start!

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Rebel Blob posted:

Indeed, enjoy 20 minutes of stilt buses:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kC4DwcrE658

Or more transportation of the future, like flying trains:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ZJ0KGAIM_w

the stilt trains have been posted in the gbs osha thread before (also I thought they were posted before 2020), but holy poo poo at the techbro brains of flying trains.

like crhist, at all those props and the teather. like wut.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

VikingofRock posted:

I'm a little confused as to why MetaPixel was on the hospital page in the first place. Was the hospital trying to have Facebook integration on their website? Or was it pulled in as part of some dependency? Or something else?

I loving hate that pixel and google crap, I tried removing it and other tracking code temporarily and the responsiveness of the site almost doubled in pagespeed insights. Pagespeed insights is reporting a lot of issues that could be improved and it's basically all stuff to do with googles own tracking code that's suboptimal. Console says similar things too. Google is the biggest hurdle in getting your websit to do well on it's own metrics...

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

PhazonLink posted:

like crhist, at all those props and the teather. like wut.

It was the only way to make it expensive enough that poors can't use it.

Jasper Tin Neck
Nov 14, 2008

"Scientifically proven, rich and creamy."

Dahir Insaat doesn't even really count as a techbro, it's just one guy pumping out "awesome" concept art like an eight year old. The only difference is that he uses rendering software instead of a box of crayons.

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

E: my post has not met quality standards for being funny, nevermind

America Inc. fucked around with this message at 08:33 on Jun 17, 2022

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

How are u posted:

I'm love all of that useless lovely automation while not addressing the cost of order taking even though my local Chilis(*) has had table kiosks for ordering since at least 2017.

(*) This is the only restaurant where I've ever seen them although to be fair, I haven't eaten inside any restaurant since March of 2020.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Cheesus posted:

I'm love all of that useless lovely automation while not addressing the cost of order taking even though my local Chilis(*) has had table kiosks for ordering since at least 2017.

(*) This is the only restaurant where I've ever seen them although to be fair, I haven't eaten inside any restaurant since March of 2020.

Yeah I liked Chili's little portable Kiosks.

Taco Bell and McDonalds both have ordering Kiosks now and they work pretty well.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.
I literally had the tether plane idea the other day when I was really baked, as a way to do electric planes without batteries. Even when in that state I knew it wouldn't work for all kinds of reasons. So you are saying I can get paid for this poo poo?

pippy
May 29, 2013

CRIMES
There's no way these aren't shitposts, look at this one:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o8I7O4JJ1ko

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Cheesus posted:

i liked the assertion that the entirely unseen kitchen was fully automated and a dark space with no human input at all

if thats the case then there's no need to take orders really because all meals are precooked and simply being heated, or the menu is a very simple collection of foods which can be produced by continuous processing

the ridiculous burger making robot thing that was a silicon valley darling is still just a tiny assembly line being carefully tended by fully human prep cooks. you cannot remove people from making food unless you're making it at vast scale, like frozen pizza or something, and even then someone needs to be there to dump sacks of flour into a hopper. there will not be a robot which can cook like a human until long after all of us are dead

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.
There's some sushi places that have cute little automated conveyors that deliver food past all the tables, but it's more of a buffet-style sort of thing and it doesn't scale well.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conveyor_belt_sushi

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Alton Towers (UK theme park) has a restaurant where you can order overpriced mediocre food and it arrives at your table via a little cart on a rollercoaster track that goes round a loop-de-loop and spirals down to you. It’s a fun gimmick for the duration of a single meal only

E: according to Wikipedia it’s actually a restaurant chain so looks like Dahir Insaat missed out on a real moneymaker here, too bad!

TACD fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Jun 17, 2022

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

pippy posted:

There's no way these aren't shitposts, look at this one:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o8I7O4JJ1ko

That's no shitpost, that's practically a required safety feature on account of the hotel is prone to collapse as every bed weighs 20,000 pounds

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.
https://twitter.com/robbysoave/status/1537830995323494400

Everything is a comical farce at this point.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/DelRey/status/1537800064537710593?s=20&t=mHvSDLYfex11ZqEQ_Mr7NQ

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

quote:

Pagan began working at the Amazon delivery hub in October and, within two months, had been promoted to a role on the safety committee for the facility. The new role didn’t come with a pay raise, and is on top of a worker’s core tasks, but Pagan saw it as a stepping stone to an official promotion. But in April, Pagan told Recode, he took two days off to have an infected tooth looked at and ultimately removed.

The problem, he said, was that he only had seven hours of unpaid time off but ended up missing 20 hours of work; he had enough paid vacation time to cover the absence, but he said the company did not pull from that separate bank of days because Pagan would have had to apply for vacation time in advance. Pagan said he also had a doctor’s note but was told the company did not need to accept it as an excuse, even though he had been excused from work with a doctor’s note previously. He said he worked for another full week without issue, until he showed up one night for his overnight shift and his badge no longer worked. He was eventually told he had been terminated.

An HR manager told Pagan that there was nothing he could do about the termination but that Pagan should reapply for a job at the company in three months, per Amazon policy.

“We would love you back in 90 days,” Pagan says the HR staff member told him. In the meantime, Pagan should “do some GrubHub or Uber,” the HR employee said.
Burn Amazon to the loving ground then salt the earth.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Cheesus posted:

“You don’t make an omelet without breaking some eggs, right?”

“We’re gonna change the world, Dmitriy,” Maclean said.

"Just think of ’em as eggs, man,” Maclean answered, with a smile, and Dmitriy’s blood suddenly turned cold, though he didn’t understand why. His mind couldn’t make the jump, much as he wanted it to do so. It was like being a field officer again, trying to discern enemy intentions on an important field assignment, and knowing some, perhaps much, of the necessary information, but not enough to paint the entire picture in his own mind. But the frightening part was that these Project people spoke of human life as the German fascists had once done.
- "Rainbow Six"

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

His Divine Shadow posted:

I loving hate that pixel and google crap, I tried removing it and other tracking code temporarily and the responsiveness of the site almost doubled in pagespeed insights. Pagespeed insights is reporting a lot of issues that could be improved and it's basically all stuff to do with googles own tracking code that's suboptimal. Console says similar things too. Google is the biggest hurdle in getting your websit to do well on it's own metrics...

Probably so they can push for AMP.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Amazon’s obviously one of the worst culprits but I’m so sure that thousands of mom-and-pop businesses and other small businesses do the bare minimum in terms of entitlements and leaves. It feels like a uniquely American solution to shame these companies into doing better or wait for the market to fix itself, rather than passing halfway-reasonable labor laws like the rest of the rich world.

follow that camel!!
Jan 1, 2006

Looking forward to Amazon astroturfing the good work they do helping teach marketable job skills to prisoners and moving all their logistics facilities into prisons so they have "the hole" and "get your rear end beat" as motivational tools for their new work force. A little afraid if I google "Amazon warehouse" + "prison" this is already a thing.

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

Apple store employees in Maryland voted to organize the first Apple union in the US:
https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-61855301

Next a programmer's union?

BlueBlazer
Apr 1, 2010

Vegetable posted:

Amazon’s obviously one of the worst culprits but I’m so sure that thousands of mom-and-pop businesses and other small businesses do the bare minimum in terms of entitlements and leaves. It feels like a uniquely American solution to shame these companies into doing better or wait for the market to fix itself, rather than passing halfway-reasonable labor laws like the rest of the rich world.

Amazon actively conflates the business practices that tend to get practiced at small scale through laziness and incompetence; at scale, with algorithms and intention. It's gross.

Remember Jeff Bezos found Amazon on the business model of actively taking advantage of the local tax code and vendor logistics systems.

It's leech all the way up and down.

YanniRotten
Apr 3, 2010

We're so pretty,
oh so pretty

Cheesus posted:

"Come back in 90 days" is such gleeful bureaucratic insanity too. Ok if this offense is so minor that you'd be happy to rehire in three months, no problems... why even fire this person?

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

America Inc. posted:

Apple store employees in Maryland voted to organize the first Apple union in the US:
https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-61855301

Next a programmer's union?
Go check out the comment section on hackernews whenever that topic comes up. By and large, bazingas think of themselves as too smart and elite to need stuff like that, despite all evidence to the contrary.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

YanniRotten posted:

"Come back in 90 days" is such gleeful bureaucratic insanity too. Ok if this offense is so minor that you'd be happy to rehire in three months, no problems... why even fire this person?

That's kind of the unique tech hell part of it, where they have cases where a manager would normally just work around it, but trying to overrule the algorithm is such a pain that they're not going to bother.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

cat botherer posted:

Go check out the comment section on hackernews whenever that topic comes up. By and large, bazingas think of themselves as too smart and elite to need stuff like that, despite all evidence to the contrary.

While this has been the general opinion I've gotten talking with devs, there are enough dev-adjacent jobs now that I think it's starting to shift

Tacier
Jul 22, 2003

YanniRotten posted:

It’s a punishment for behavior that impacts their bottom line by an infinitesimally small fraction of a percent. Next time you’ll do better because you know the consequences.

It’s the equivalent of being put on time out, except it might leave you unable to make rent and destroy your life.

Tacier fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Jun 20, 2022

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

BlueBlazer posted:

Amazon conflates the business practices that tend to get practiced at small scale because of laziness and incompetence with algorithms and intention at large scale. It's gross.

Remember Jeff Bezos founded Amazon on the business model of taking advantage of the local tax code and vendor logistics systems.

It's leech all the way up and down.

Sorry for being anal but your post was hard to read.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Also presumably they get to treat you as a new hire and reset your progress towards earning any kind of benefits. They don't want anyone to be in a position for years and risk them becoming essential. Firing people regularly may be inefficient, but it reinforces everyone being an identical replaceable cog.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

The Lone Badger posted:

Also presumably they get to treat you as a new hire and reset your progress towards earning any kind of benefits. They don't want anyone to be in a position for years and risk them becoming essential. Firing people regularly may be inefficient, but it reinforces everyone being an identical replaceable cog.

The armed forces have procedures for that already, where they'll just bust you down a few ranks for loving up; outright ditching someone is something quite different.