Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Vote to threadban Bioshuffle
This poll is closed.
Yes (Goku) 146 85.38%
No (also Goku) 25 14.62%
Total: 171 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
why do they call it the boys

when there are girls

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
there aren't any girls, it's all cg doofus.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

You guys are all idiots.

Homelander is obviously President Cleveland and Ashley is William C. Hudson. The Boys are Blaine and the Republicans.

:colbert:

Durzel
Nov 15, 2005

Do we think Homelander could survive to season 4? On the one hand at this point it doesn't really feel like his character has an arc, everyone else has an arc that involves him. On the other hand I can't really imagine the show without him in it.

The adventures of John, formally known as Homelander, coming to grips with the loss of his powers, on the run Jason Bourne style from the remaining supes and Butcher who are trying to track him down.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
I agree that Homelander is much more ‘America’ than he is Trump. Violent, omnipresent, easily angered, temporary easy to mollify. Unable to rationally deal with crisis except with overwhelming force. Creates fake problems only to solve them and demand reward.

Edit: I don’t think Homelander can be reasonably separated from his powers. He relies on them for absolutely everything.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Durzel posted:

Do we think Homelander could survive to season 4? On the one hand at this point it doesn't really feel like his character has an arc, everyone else has an arc that involves him. On the other hand I can't really imagine the show without him in it.

The adventures of John, formally known as Homelander, coming to grips with the loss of his powers, on the run Jason Bourne style from the remaining supes and Butcher who are trying to track him down.

I think someone else in the thread had it right.

Homelander getting killed is this season's finish. The next season will probably be focused on killing Butcher.

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit

spacetoaster posted:

I think someone else in the thread had it right.

Homelander getting killed is this season's finish. The next season will probably be focused on killing Butcher.

Next season I think will be about [comic + stuff shown on the TV] Butcher planning to kill *every* supe there is which will of course put him at odds with the rest of the boys

Ubersandwich
Jun 1, 2003

Have they mentioned Season 4 being the final season? I can't imagine the show without Homelander and Butcher, thinking about Homelander biting it this season and Butcher next season.

However, I do agree with the sentiment that it feels like you can only take these characters so far and stretching out this Homelander vs Butcher for another couple seasons without a major change in dynamic doesn't feel possible either. I think Homelander getting de-powered and spending a season or so a "one of us" seems realistic considering how much he leans into "I AM NOT ONE OF YOU I AM A GOD!" this season.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

They haven't said anything, but Kripke likes his five season plans (that turn into 15 seasons because the show got too popular)

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
Everyone talks like next season will be the last but the only word I can find from the showrunner is it was planned as five seasons. Mind you that's from a year ago.

I really hope it doesn't become a new Supernatural running 15 seasons though. I enjoyed that show for a while but it became a goddamn mess and I just gave up.

My thought:

Homelander gets de-powered at the end of this season.
Next season is kind of Butcher vs Soldier Boy, both fighting each other and competing for most evil gently caress, with Homelander trying to find a way to get his powers back/bide his time/figure out a way to win without having a win button.
Final season is a showdown that ends with all 3 dead.

Nail Rat fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Jun 20, 2022

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Nail Rat posted:

Everyone talks like next season will be the last but the only word I can find from the showrunner is it was planned as five seasons. Mind you that's from a year ago.

I really hope it doesn't become a new Supernatural running 15 seasons though. I enjoyed that show for a while but it became a goddamn mess and I just gave up.

Great first five seasons though

Ubersandwich
Jun 1, 2003

Okay. 5 seasons seems like enough for a TV show anymore, I think stopping when you're ahead is better than beating a dead horse. Generally speaking.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
These idiotic takes could never have been generated under a binge release imo and that would have been the biggest tragedy of all

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Homelander was most like Trump when the female exec asked him a somewhat easy business question he didn’t know, and then proceeded to get mad at her, make her compliment him and insult herself, then talking about how smart he is.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

bobjr posted:

Homelander was most like Trump when the female exec asked him a somewhat easy business question he didn’t know, and then proceeded to get mad at her, make her compliment him and insult herself, then talking about how smart he is.

Another sad instance of idiot brain being hosed by stupid. Many such cases!

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

christmas boots posted:

These idiotic takes could never have been generated under a binge release imo and that would have been the biggest tragedy of all

Weekly releases have literally nothing to do with discourse and everything about increasing the number of people who watch and subscribe, by people who have all the data. It is what it is.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Durzel posted:

I think they likely want to squeeze another season out of this to get to 5, so The Boys would get some kind of modest but not complete victory over Homelander at the end of this season that sets up Season 4 to go from Homelander at his lowest point to ascendant to dead after he wastes NYC or something and The Boys/Vought play a trump card of some kind.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Mr Interweb posted:

uh...i mean, this is a superhero who grew up in the 1950s. teenagers in our present day would act just as horrified seeing such a display. now, i dunno if he would wanna KILL them after seeing them kiss, but it doesn't seem all that shocking that he would be surprised/disgusted by it.

speaking of which, serious question: has anyone actually seen two dudes kiss in public? i've lived in los angeles my whole life, and have walked around west hollywood a lot over the years, and i'm not remotely exaggerating when i say i've never, EVER seen two dudes kiss in public. this is in one of the top american progressive utopias. that's why when i saw that scene i chuckled cause no way that poo poo's happening any time soon lmao.

I have snogged my partners in public so like. ymmv

Also I don't think teenagers today would be disgruntled but for anyone over 30 who isn't radical and queer, snogging in public is pretty gauche and would get an expression like that from... most people I think?

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Durzel posted:

I don't see Homelander dying until the final season. At the very earliest he would die in the 3rd to last episode of the series which would leave plenty of time to wrap up everything else and do some epilogue stuff.

Twigand Berries
Sep 7, 2008

In season 6 Starlight will burn King’s Landing to the ground

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
I’m curious about the college show Eric talked about in the Rolling Stone interview. The boys without constant sex would be a very different shell. (it would probably be six minutes shorter an episode.)

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

Golden Bee posted:

I’m curious about the college show Eric talked about in the Rolling Stone interview. The boys without constant sex would be a very different shell. (it would probably be six minutes shorter an episode.)

No way a bunch of college-aged supes aren't loving like rabbits. Supposedly it's going to come out next year, personally I've never enjoyed movies or shows about highschools or colleges but that's just me, we'll see what happens.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Golden Bee posted:

Did they change it to be sexless? Because the original pitch was basically "what if The Boys but even hornier?"

quote:

Set at America’s only college exclusively for young adult superheroes (and run by Vought International), the Untitled Boys Spinoff is described as an irreverent, R-rated series that explores the lives of hormonal, competitive Supes as they put their physical, sexual, and moral boundaries to the test, competing for the best contracts in the best cities. Part college show, part Hunger Games — with all the heart, satire and raunch of The Boys.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Golden Bee posted:

Did you have a lovely time in college

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!
Don't think it was mentioned yet (or maybe it got buried in other arguments) but I instantly recognized Blue Falcons name as a nickname in the military, it means 'buddy fucker' .

Also, I'm sure this was for budget reasons but so far his power set seemed rather boring, just super strength?

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

I think moderate super strength is the baseline V power up, its other powers that don’t have immediate drawbacks that make them stand out and are able to be individually marketed, like Deep and Starlight.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
It's Blue Hawk

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Panfilo posted:

Don't think it was mentioned yet (or maybe it got buried in other arguments) but I instantly recognized Blue Falcons name as a nickname in the military, it means 'buddy fucker' .

Also, I'm sure this was for budget reasons but so far his power set seemed rather boring, just super strength?

I thought that would have been a funny name too.

But that's not his name.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Panfilo posted:

I mean, that's not his name, but sure.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)

Khanstant posted:

smoking biden was right

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)

Alan Smithee posted:

why do they call it the boys

when there are girls

There's only one gender buddy. The human gender.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

IMO the most thematically appropriate ending for Homelander is he gets some sort of super cancer that can't be killed because of how strong he is so they develop a serum that will make him permanently weaker but curable. He thinks this is a plot to destroy him so he refuses and kills everyone who suggested it. As time goes on the cancer gets worse and worse and he believes it is a result of someone poisoning him so he goes on a paranoid rampage murdering everyone who is close to him. Finally, he begins to believe the world has turned on him, so in his cancer-weakened form he goes into the streets and begins killing random civilians until either the boys kill him or he kills himself in a fit of narcissistic rage.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Homelander should be killed by a supe that has acid poo poo and gets pooped on and dies

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Homelander is a stand-in for America, and he's fascist adjacent because so is America. All his Trump-like qualities are also just the personification of America: Brash, narcissistic, menacing, and childish.

Homelander doesn't resemble Trump because he's a stand-in for America - he resembles America because he's a stand-in for Trump.

Golden Bee posted:

Edit: I don’t think Homelander can be reasonably separated from his powers. He relies on them for absolutely everything.

Yet another example of how the Trump parallels, specifically, run deep.

2nd level spells
Apr 3, 2022
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l5czdDuQ5Kw

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

Cpt_Obvious posted:

IMO the most thematically appropriate ending for Homelander is he gets some sort of super cancer that can't be killed because of how strong he is so they develop a serum that will make him permanently weaker but curable. He thinks this is a plot to destroy him so he refuses and kills everyone who suggested it. As time goes on the cancer gets worse and worse and he believes it is a result of someone poisoning him so he goes on a paranoid rampage murdering everyone who is close to him. Finally, he begins to believe the world has turned on him, so in his cancer-weakened form he goes into the streets and begins killing random civilians until either the boys kill him or he kills himself in a fit of narcissistic rage.

Adding on (not trying to shitpost because I do think that would be a good story), I kinda want the cancer to turn him into Tetsuo at the end of Akira.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

^^^^^^ I'd watch that. Some sort of outward, horrific disfigurement to reflect his transformation to full fash.

Habibi posted:

Homelander doesn't resemble Trump because he's a stand-in for America - he resembles America because he's a stand-in for Trump.

The comic was written in 2006.

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

DAE HOMELANDER A FREAKIN CHEATO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

The thematically appropriate ending for Homelander is he ends up in a mental asylum absolutely convinced of a reality in which he is in charge of the world and can do whatever the gently caress he wants.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

home man