Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Pryor on Fire posted:

Even D&D is starting to complain about how the democrats do nothing, I'm pretty sure that is the final nail in the coffin

Anybody here masochist enough to listen to Pod Save? When they start bailing, then it's really time to lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Remember that people like D&D or Pod Save America go through brief phases where they complain about Democrats. These are always temporary and will end when the news cycle moves on. It's more just a "reaction" on their part that anything changing about their underlying beliefs.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Ytlaya posted:

Remember that people like D&D or Pod Save America go through brief phases where they complain about Democrats. These are always temporary and will end when the news cycle moves on. It's more just a "reaction" on their part that anything changing about their underlying beliefs.

Yea at the latest after the midterms they'll remember to start punching left

Noob Saibot
Jan 29, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
The Democratic Party is like the senate in the phantom menace

FreeRangeHexagon
Apr 17, 2022

Ytlaya posted:

Occasionally one of them reaches a Peter Daou style breaking point, but those seem to be the exception to the rule

Forseti
May 26, 2001
To the lovenasium!

i am harry posted:

"whatever does not help you win should not be a priority" forever and ever ad infinum.

I agree, Clintons should not be a priority

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

quote:

What can we expect from a party leadership that believed Michael Bloomberg, who has switched allegiance between the Democratic and Republican parties several times, would save them from progressives such as Bernie Sanders? What can we expect from a party leadership that anointed Joe Biden, who spent his political career dispossessing working men and women, building the world’s largest prison system, militarizing police, destroying the welfare system and funding military fiascos in the Middle East, as president?

The Biden administration is defined by failed expectations, from its stymied Build Back Better Plan to its refusal to raise the minimum wage. It is running on fumes, using gimmicks, empty rhetoric, spectacle and fear to intimidate the electorate.

The descent is pathetic to watch, reminiscent of the moment Romanian dictator Nicolae Ceaușescu tried desperately to placate an unruly crowd from the Balcony of the Central Committee of the Communist Party of Romania building by offering to raise pension and family allowance by $2 a month. He and his wife were executed four days later. The discredited East German Communist Party, which like the Romanian revolution I also covered as a reporter, made similar empty gestures, promising to open its closed party headquarters to the public long after anyone cared.

The billionaire class, or at least many of them, would prefer to loot and pillage under the cover of the old political decorum and rhetoric. They like the fiction of paying homage to an emasculated democracy. It gives them the veneer of respectability.

get his rear end chris

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

i am harry posted:

"whatever does not help you win should not be a priority" forever and ever ad infinum.

https://twitter.com/low_tex/status/1538653195848802311?t=OOCBRskwtWSclwIsUmjPTg&s=19

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Lowtex should be more like lowtax

Alamani57
Dec 15, 2010

glenn gets a thread yet hedges does not, a shame

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Alamani57 posted:

glenn gets a thread yet hedges does not, a shame

Hedges content is allowed in the Glennthread

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

indistinguishable from parody

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
turning a big dial that says "transphobia" on it and constantly looking back at the data scientists for approval

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Nancy Pelosi was born before Steamboat Willy was in theaters

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

FreeRangeHexagon posted:

Occasionally one of them reaches a Peter Daou style breaking point, but those seem to be the exception to the rule

Peter Daou was never that kind of person, though; he was always a weird guy with an unusual background who just had an insane personal loyalty to Hillary Clinton, so he didn't really fit the same mold as the Pod Save America guys or your average D&D poster (who are usually just "random careerists/white-collar workers").

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

I wonder if Peter's change was initiated by snapping to the realization of the disaster to come after Hillary didn't make it over the line, despite the cult of loyalty she inspired in himself and others

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

LastInLine posted:

A particularly astute characterization that is more illustrative the more I think about it, thanks

LBJ's bullying through civil rights solely with his dick and Nixon creating useful governmental agencies like the EPA and OSHA in order for future administrations to undermine them later were literally the last time government did anything at all for the public good until Trump's covid response. Think about how dismal that is. We're sixty years out from the last time a democrat believed in anything and actually did it (while simultaneously committing a genocide) and the only other times we've gotten anything was because of cynicism and pure ignorance about the fact that government is not help its citizens no matter how dire the situation.

Maybe I'm off base here and I'd like pushback if I'm wrong but I'm inclined to think that the massive amount of lib hate for Nixon and Trump are both at least somewhat related to the fact that they actually did some good for the rabble or at least had the tendency within them to do so. Obviously both were hated prior to them doing that good, so it isn't all that, but I can't dismiss it as purely coincidence. After all they don't hate Reagan the same way and he was every bit as transformative while not doing anything good at all.

It’s a big part of it. Like the common retort is that “Nixon only did it to moderate what the left wanted”. So what? At the end he delivered to the many. Dems have had four Presidents since him and have done Jack poo poo. And now Trump through Tulsi mostly passed a limited time expansion of money to families and Biden allowed it to end. The Democrats do not deliver on their promises and at least the Republicans get cynical operators in who do a small amount of good.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Bill Clinton delivered excellent MCI dividends

FreeRangeHexagon
Apr 17, 2022

Nonsense posted:

I wonder if Peter's change was initiated by snapping to the realization of the disaster to come after Hillary didn't make it over the line, despite the cult of loyalty she inspired in himself and others

iirc the thing that turned him was when he realised the Dems had no plans to actually do anything to help all the "kids in cages" in ICE detention centres. As someone who spent his childhood who spent his childhood in wartime Lebanon I think that really pissed him off.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

FreeRangeHexagon posted:

iirc the thing that turned him was when he realised the Dems had no plans to actually do anything to help all the "kids in cages" in ICE detention centres. As someone who spent his childhood who spent his childhood in wartime Lebanon I think that really pissed him off.

I believe the dems turned the chainlink fence into plastic sheets and gave them free Kamala Harris books. So this is "mostly false" that they did nothing :derp:

FreeRangeHexagon
Apr 17, 2022

tangy yet delightful posted:

I believe the dems turned the chainlink fence into plastic sheets and gave them free Kamala Harris books. So this is "mostly false" that they did nothing :derp:

their actual talking point was "we ended family separations, we'd like to do more, but it's just not possible. But at least those kids are with their families again, if Trump was still president we wouldn't have that!" Though as far as I'm aware family separation merely went from de jure policy to de fact policy.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

It's going to own when every Democrat president after Biden, who knows when, will very likely have Larry Summers attached at the hip to prevent what happened to Biden from happening to them.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
https://twitter.com/jmartNYT/status...ingawful.com%2F

loflmao

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

FreeRangeHexagon posted:

You forget, as I've been informed, that at the moment of inauguration, all those kids experienced transmutation of body and spirit and now Deserve It. The Biden-Harris Administration is just doing the tough job of keeping America safe!!

FreeRangeHexagon
Apr 17, 2022

projecthalaxy posted:

You forget, as I've been informed, that at the moment of inauguration, all those kids experienced transmutation of body and spirit and now Deserve It. The Biden-Harris Administration is just doing the tough job of keeping America safe!!

Maybe it's a distinction without a difference. But it doesn't seem to be "they deserve it", so much as "we know it's morally wrong, but we have no choice. But we feel guilty about it, so that makes it okay". Because the big problem with the Republican party is that they don't do preformative self flagellation when you call them out for being pieces of poo poo.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Every single bad thing cspam predicted about biden came true

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Uncle Wemus posted:

Every single bad thing cspam predicted about biden came true

Most people rejected our message. They hated cspam because it told them the truth.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
biden hasn't invaded anywhere in south or central america. he also didn't weasel out of trump's withdrawal from afghanistan (i think he forgot until it was too late). i think a lot of us believed he'd be able to actually start a war as he so transparently craves. that's what his entire cabinet was built around, but they are just as old and feeble as biden. instead there's ukraine, whose us involvement consists of sexually gratifying bluechecks and feeding the mic without providing a corresponding popularity boost.

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

biden hasn't invaded anywhere in south or central america. he also didn't weasel out of trump's withdrawal from afghanistan (i think he forgot until it was too late). i think a lot of us believed he'd be able to actually start a war as he so transparently craves. that's what his entire cabinet was built around, but they are just as old and feeble as biden. instead there's ukraine, whose us involvement consists of sexually gratifying bluechecks and feeding the mic without providing a corresponding popularity boost.

why start new wars when they haven't even finished the one's they already loving started.

like, why even say anything in support of the brain-damaged rapist?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
you start new foreign wars to conceal internal problems. it's popular because it works. but biden and his coven of natsec ghouls are too feeble to carry it out properly despite their bloodlust.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

the intent of the afghanistan withdrawal was to keep the meatgrinder going for years except with no american casualties

i'm willing to bet good money that if they had known how fast their lil' puppet regime would fold there's be us troops in kabul to this day

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
also we got involved in a new war in Ukraine so I'm not sure you can even put "no new wars" on a list of positive things done by biden

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
democrats are just feckless and uncreative and their poll numbers are very low, so they're just copying what they see a much more popular party doing. They hear their base and leftists shouting "DO SOMETHING" louder and louder and so they are now doing exactly what republicans do. Hey they're doing something why don't you like them now!

SgtMongoose
Feb 10, 2007

Cerebral Bore posted:

the intent of the afghanistan withdrawal was to keep the meatgrinder going for years except with no american casualties

i'm willing to bet good money that if they had known how fast their lil' puppet regime would fold there's be us troops in kabul to this day

The expectation was probably that once the US troops withdrew and the Taliban launched their offensive, that the Kabul govt would manage to hold out for a little while, long enough for a propaganda campaign (the Taliban broke the deal! Women's Rights! War Crimes! on the front pages of the NYT and Wash Post) to gin up support for a surge of troops to save the day. Any peace negotiations would be dead for years and we'd be there forever. Thank God that the Taliban's advance was so rapid and the collapse of the Kabul govt so immediate and complete that everyone in DC was caught completely off-guard and all that was left was to hastily evacuate the State/CIA/Contractors and collaborators who we clearly were not prepared or intended to evacuate.

And don't forget that Biden has sent troops back into Somalia after Trump pulled them out

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

instead there's ukraine, whose us involvement consists of sexually gratifying bluechecks and feeding the mic without providing a corresponding popularity boost.

If you thought tour botched exit out of Afghanistan ranked high on the incompetence meter, the blowback from trying to cut a major oil, gas, and food producer out of the global economy is going to be off the charts.

FreeRangeHexagon
Apr 17, 2022

Stereotype posted:

democrats are just feckless and uncreative and their poll numbers are very low, so they're just copying what they see a much more popular party doing. They hear their base and leftists shouting "DO SOMETHING" louder and louder and so they are now doing exactly what republicans do. Hey they're doing something why don't you like them now!

they really don't comprehend that if people want a party full of people that act like Republicans they will choose the actual Republicans. Why would you support people who are pretending to believe in right wing bullshit when you have the option of supporting the real thing.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Stereotype posted:

also we got involved in a new war in Ukraine so I'm not sure you can even put "no new wars" on a list of positive things done by biden

that's a war but despite propaganda it's not a us war. you can't really go on about our brave troops to deflect from innumerable domestic problems when our brave troops aren't even there. bluechecks still eat it up, of course, but that's a tiny deranged minority on twitter. also, despite what the us wants it doesn't look like it will be a forever war. these sick fucks want a new vietnam but thankfully it doesn't look like they'll get it.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

you start new foreign wars to conceal internal problems. it's popular because it works. but biden and his coven of natsec ghouls are too feeble to carry it out properly despite their bloodlust.

I'm not a war scientist, but it seems to me to get that sweet jingoistic bump the country has to actually be involved in the war where Troops are involved so all the Troop families can be worshiped and there's TV Style Brave Man Heroism and We're Gonna Whoop Their Asses! country songs. Our Boys aren't doing no shock and awe. All that money flying out of Washington might as well be for loving famine relief or some other boring thing for as much pizazz it's giving the country for its investment.

All Biden has given them is a war they can't win because they aren't really in it, plus except gas is 7 dollars a gallon.

What's going to be great is when Trump wins in 2024 and immediately dumps Ukraine for whichever reason you chose to believe, prices comes back down, and the democratic party doesn't see the White House for a generation.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

We have boots on the ground in Yemen now, I thought? Not new but an escalation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug

1glitch0 posted:

What's going to be great is when Trump wins in 2024 and immediately dumps Ukraine for whichever reason you chose to believe, prices comes back down, and the democratic party doesn't see the White House for a generation.

I will enjoy the Democrats wailing "SEE WE TOLD YOU HE WAS PUTINS PUPPET" when this happens