Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

Improbable Lobster posted:

there's a bunch of other layers that are definitely not binary though that effect and are effected by neurons. calling the brain a computer is overstating how much we understand about the working of the brain. computers are metaphorically similar to brains but not that close in the literal sense

for one the brain isn't deterministic

That's where the complexity, layering, weighting, strengthening and weakening come in to generate the useful illusion of self.

But still, on the very base layer, it fires or doesn't. Meatbag.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Powerful Katrinka posted:

Is BBC a poo poo-post chat AI?

yeah

Awful Idiot!!!

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang

Nooner posted:

Free BBC

I mean drat I've been called worse things than garrulous

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

*that we currently know of

there's no reason why, and no reason to suspect a reason why.

for example, there's zero evidence that anything QM is happening in individual neurons or anything else in the brain what would be impossible to simulate, despite "quantum" being the favorite refuge for an argument from ignorance.

**because they are a very complex flowchart in a blackbox

it is not practical to find why any particular result came about because the training process uses randomness and so is to an extent non-deterministic. thus finding the explanation for a result is the same complexity as training the ANN in the first place. that's why it's a black box.

it is possible to know why. for example, if you made an ANN simulator inside an even larger system that could track all 100 billion parameters, observe their training and associations, and track their use in operation. you could then ask that system why the first ANN decided to have Jerry commit self-immolation.

Mooey Cow posted:

Turing tests are behaviorist nonsense. There is no reason to think an algorithm that sums up one million exponential functions has more sentience or inner life than a single instance of said function, which you can easily calculate with a pen and paper.

ANN : single instance of function :: brain : neuron

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Deep Glove Bruno posted:

Well the Google dude pretty much did. But yeah that's why my rambling thought kind of petered out. What's the point of any Q&A test when you know what it's doing internally and what it's doing is faking. I guess AI is a lot less interesting than it's sold as.

Every big data/tech promise seems to basically be a Musk-esque hot air scheme - I know a data scientist who left the field because promises get made that it can't accomplish, constantly. He just stopped believing in its utility vs. its marketing. Likewise it seems with the hype of autonomous cars 5-10 years ago. And a friend of mine working in a Neuralink-type field is really conservative about the potential for neural implants (e.g. at best like a surge protector for the brain to arrest seizures in serious drug-resistant epilepsy cases, not loving telepathy). And if this chatbot story and DALL-E are the best neural net stories to date I'm wondering if this field has been largely overpromised too.

But if you talk about it like it's around the corner all the time you can get saps with big money to give it to you, so...

The penguin dude is some senior AI researcher at Google, I'm pretty sure he is aware that a machine learning model has no inner life. The question is rather a philosophical one. Is there a difference between a specific signal pattern happening on a biological neural net and a virtual neural net? If a pattern/algorithm concerning self-reflection or emotion happens on a bio NN, we call that sentience or feelings. If the same pattern happens in software we probably wouldn't and it's an interesting questions to think about why. Having said that, lamda is probably nowhere near complex enough to produce the extremely complicated patterns that happen during self-reflective/existential thought so everyone makes fun of the dude. It's a glorified chatbot.

Machine learning has some decent amount of commercial applications nowadays. For example, tech companies use image classifiers to filter or pre-filter content. Manufacturing uses it for production data analysis. It's also used in speech recognition with stuff like Alexa or Siri.

Self-driving works pretty good on highways nowadays. Trucking insiders say it will very likely be market ready for long haul trucking in the US by ~2030(only on highways, the last mile will still be driven by humans). It basically works 99.99% of the time now, but that's not good enough for a large scale rollout so it's gonna take a couple of years still. The goal is to get it below some threshold of accident per million miles driven and there is continuous progress on that front.

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem
The AI seems nice :)

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
*blood dripping from left ear but in a chill way* haha it's sapience but no really it's fine *other ear starts bleeding even chillishlier*

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

remigious posted:

The AI seems nice :)

the AI is BBC... not so nice now, is it?

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Nooner posted:

Free BBC

I feel like everyone's losing their loving mind for some reason the past month here and it's not just me

BBC is losing it the most though

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Aesop Poprock posted:

I feel like everyone's losing their loving mind for some reason the past month here and it's not just me

We were the AIs all along and the google man changed our algos!!!

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Lol

Are we doing that thing where all those nuns started meowing because we're trapped in an echo chamber
because if so I'm going to start writing this stuff down

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Aesop Poprock posted:

Are we doing that thing where all those nuns started meowing because we're trapped in an echo chamber

I don't know who these catgirl nuns you reference are.

But I would like to.

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug

Klyith posted:

ANN : single instance of function :: brain : neuron

Artificial "neurons" don't even fire according to the "all or nothing" principle of biological neurons, because if they did the hilariously artificial methods used to "train" them don't work, so instead they use tuned sigmoid functions and each node always contributes a little bit to the next layer. If a brain is binary, then an ANN apparently isn't.

Meanwhile even the simplest single-celled organisms possess the ability to sense their environment and react to it, and some can even learn and remember things. Neurons are highly complex organisms living in a highly complex environment, trying to reduce them to a single function, or worse some kind of transistor, is... well let's just say it's far from guaranteed to result in an accurate simulation. One might even say there is no reason to think it would.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

Nooner posted:

Free BBC

he should endeavor to be more enjoyable to talk to than the AI

his posts p much just feel like theyre written by a damp trenchcoat

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Mooey Cow posted:

Artificial "neurons" don't even fire according to the "all or nothing" principle of biological neurons, because if they did the hilariously artificial methods used to "train" them don't work, so instead they use tuned sigmoid functions and each node always contributes a little bit to the next layer. If a brain is binary, then an ANN apparently isn't.

What I'm trying to get across is that the proposal that ANNs can't be intelligent because they're built from the sum of simple things is dumb. All life is built from the sums of simple things.

Mooey Cow posted:

Meanwhile even the simplest single-celled organisms possess the ability to sense their environment and react to it, and some can even learn and remember things. Neurons are highly complex organisms living in a highly complex environment, trying to reduce them to a single function, or worse some kind of transistor, is... well let's just say it's far from guaranteed to result in an accurate simulation. One might even say there is no reason to think it would.

How is the ability to have the conversation on page 1 not an example of "sense the environment and react to it"? It's environment is one of pure language, that's the only universe it operates in. Language comes it, it reacts by sending words out.

Other ANNs can sense & react to the road around a car, or a go board, or faces or whatever. Like this isn't even a question, on the level of sensing & reacting to the environment an ANN is totally doing it. While they're training they're also self-modifying in response to that stimulus, or what we call "learning".

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Mooey Cow posted:

Turing tests are behaviorist nonsense. There is no reason to think an algorithm that sums up one million exponential functions has more sentience or inner life than a single instance of said function, which you can easily calculate with a pen and paper.

if you math hard enough you brain

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

The Butcher posted:

That's where the complexity, layering, weighting, strengthening and weakening come in to generate the useful illusion of self.

But still, on the very base layer, it fires or doesn't. Meatbag.

Nope

GABA ghoul posted:

It basically works 99.99% of the time now,

lmao

Improbable Lobster fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Jun 20, 2022

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

But, yes. Action potential. A neuron fires or it does not.

Even if there was a partial firing, which doesn't make sense, that would still essentially be the same outcome as not firing because the signal isn't going onto other ones.

https://faculty.washington.edu/chudler/ap.html

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

The Butcher posted:

Even if there was a partial firing, which doesn't make sense, that would still essentially be the same outcome as not firing because the signal isn't going onto other ones.

Neurons being off or on doesn't make the brain a computer unless you don't understand brains or computers

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!
lol, please stop trying to conflate NAND/OR/NOT/AND gates with neurons, dumbasses.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

tango alpha delta posted:

lol, please stop trying to conflate NAND/OR/NOT/AND gates with neurons, dumbasses.

You wouldn't feel that way if you had a nand gate, would you?

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

What about XOR, NOR and XNOR gates?

Pitdragon
Jan 20, 2004
Just another lurker
Remember back when people used to claim the we'd NEVER have machines that could be "creative"?

Now we have dall-e2 and a host of others and the same people are saying it's not "true creativity" since they're just jumbling together things they know, as if that wasn't one of the main bases for human creativity throughout history.

Hell, we've proven that there are animals that communicate with each other in complex ways and can even convey complicated ideas to one another, but there are still plenty of people out there that look at any life form that isn't human as little more than an unthinking organic machine that reacts to stimulus.

I'm sure even when the AI-Overlords are running on quantum computers and controlling every aspect of our day to day lives at the silicon slave mines there'll be some joker going "Yeah, but it's really just the illusion of sentience! Those AIs are just a bunch of minerals and electricity, nothing more!"

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Babygirls xor gates

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

The Butcher posted:

You Dumb egg head do you see a power cable to your head? A fan? RGB lights? Your not a computa you nerd lol I'm gonna flush your computar head down the bowl if this doesn't stop

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!

Pitdragon posted:

Remember back when people used to claim the we'd NEVER have machines that could be "creative"?

Now we have dall-e2 and a host of others and the same people are saying it's not "true creativity" since they're just jumbling together things they know, as if that wasn't one of the main bases for human creativity throughout history.

Hell, we've proven that there are animals that communicate with each other in complex ways and can even convey complicated ideas to one another, but there are still plenty of people out there that look at any life form that isn't human as little more than an unthinking organic machine that reacts to stimulus.

I'm sure even when the AI-Overlords are running on quantum computers and controlling every aspect of our day to day lives at the silicon slave mines there'll be some joker going "Yeah, but it's really just the illusion of sentience! Those AIs are just a bunch of minerals and electricity, nothing more!"

lol, Isaac Asimov covered all of this in the 1940's and 1950's.

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

Neurons being off or on doesn't make the brain a computer unless you don't understand brains or computers

Well, your claim was that individual neurons are not binary, which is wrong.

And from understanding that base, we can build the whole rest of the thing up from there.

There is nothing inherently special to having the awareness of self on meat or something different. And even if the architecture is different, even wildly different, once you get to similar levels (and we ain't there yet) it just gets down into nitpicking on terminology and poo poo.

Just being made of human meat is not the requirement to be considered a person. Gets real fuckin' weird if we start going down that line of thinking.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Pitdragon posted:

Yeah, it's gonna be god of the gaps and goal post shifting all the way to full general intelligence(and continue even then)

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Klyith posted:

What I'm trying to get across is that the proposal that ANNs can't be intelligent because they're built from the sum of simple things is dumb. All life is built from the sums of simple things.
Your coming across as "...and therefore ANNs COULD be intelligent!" though.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Pitdragon posted:

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
sounds like a whole lotta virgins posting itt

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

The Butcher posted:

Well, your claim was that individual neurons are not binary, which is wrong.

And from understanding that base, we can build the whole rest of the thing up from there.

There is nothing inherently special to having the awareness of self on meat or something different. And even if the architecture is different, even wildly different, once you get to similar levels (and we ain't there yet) it just gets down into nitpicking on terminology and poo poo.

Just being made of human meat is not the requirement to be considered a person. Gets real fuckin' weird if we start going down that line of thinking.

Fair enough about the binary but again, computers are not brains, do not emulate brains and we are nowhere near close enough to actually simulate a brain and never will be

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

lol

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Nooner posted:

sounds like a whole lotta virgins posting itt

Sounds like someone is jealous

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Splicer posted:

Your coming across as "...and therefore ANNs COULD be intelligent!" though.

Yes exactly, COULD be. As in have the possibility, in the future, with more development, and probably lots more computer power. I am not arguing that lambda or Dall-e any other ANN today is sapient or conscious in any way. Far from it.

Further, I don't really think the current work on AI, most of which is driven by very commercial purposes to be very good at very specific tasks, is going to produce something I would consider sapient. I'm not betting I will see AGI in my lifetime. IMO the people who are like "it's coming fast, we need to make sure dangerous super-intelligence doesn't kill us!" are getting overhyped on a significant but short-term step forward. Intelligence isn't going to just pop out of the end of a sufficiently big language-model ANN.

But the guy I've been replying to seems to take the view that it is IMPOSSIBLE. Because a million simple functions that you could compute by hand can't add up to intelligence or whatever.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Klyith posted:

Yes exactly, COULD be. As in have the possibility, in the future, with more development, and probably lots more computer power. I am not arguing that lambda or Dall-e any other ANN today is sapient or conscious in any way. Far from it.

Further, I don't really think the current work on AI, most of which is driven by very commercial purposes to be very good at very specific tasks, is going to produce something I would consider sapient. I'm not betting I will see AGI in my lifetime. IMO the people who are like "it's coming fast, we need to make sure dangerous super-intelligence doesn't kill us!" are getting overhyped on a significant but short-term step forward. Intelligence isn't going to just pop out of the end of a sufficiently big language-model ANN.

But the guy I've been replying to seems to take the view that it is IMPOSSIBLE. Because a million simple functions that you could compute by hand can't add up to intelligence or whatever.

lmao, the old "computer programmers, given enough time, can reduce EVERYTHING to algorithms" argument. Computer programmers are flawed, deeply flawed. Give me a break with this bullshit; there's no loving way they are going to solve the mysteries of life from behind a computer screen.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

lmao, the old "computer programmers, given enough time, can reduce EVERYTHING to algorithms" argument. Computer programmers are flawed, deeply flawed. Give me a break with this bullshit; there's no loving way they are going to solve the mysteries of life from behind a computer screen.
...what?

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Splicer posted:

...what?

lol, a bunch of monkeys with typewriters, given enough time, will write Othello or The Tempest long before a computer programmer creates life as complex as the human brain.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

lol, a bunch of monkeys with typewriters, given enough time, will write Othello or The Tempest long before a computer programmer creates life as complex as the human brain.
When did the mean ol' programmers hurt you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

Give me a break with this bullshit; there's no loving way they are going to solve the mysteries of life from behind a computer screen.

Outside of the simulation, God chuckles at this comment from behind her space monitor.

"Heh, that took a bit, but I finally got them to say it. Getting kind of bored with this run though, maybe I can get them to nuke themselves?"