Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Was there a retcon of how the initial connection to the Upside Down was made? In S1 it said that happened when 11 touched the Demogorgon, but this season she definitely makes a gate when she’s zaps 001, which would have been after the first contact scene from S1.

Also, why the hell did he gets electrocuted and turned into a monster? Other people go to the Upside Down (though typically less violently, and by choice) and they’re fine

And is the implication that he is working with the Mind Flayer? He has to have all those tentacles connect to him in order to curse people and interact with the regular world. They don’t seem to be naturally part of him. Seems like could have made a deal with the MF to utilize some power for whatever purpose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

BrotherJayne posted:

7 COPS WITH ARS AND PISTOLS SHOOTING AT A STALLED VAN FULL OF GUTTERPUNKS FROM 10 METERS SHOULD PRODUCE LOADS OF GORE DAMMIT

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
My sense is that he was the first person from our dimension to be sent to the upside down and so maybe he got special treatment when he arrived, particularly given his powers and his sensibilities.

I assume he is working for the Mind Flayer and that it was the Mind Flayer who made him into Vecna.

What I don't quite understand is why the Mind Flayer would then humor him by creating a Hawkins in the Upside Down.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Vecna's thing was just a creepy version of magical girl transformation from anime.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
I have a theory on this, apologies in advance. When 001 gets thrust into the Upside Down it's basically a formless void. 001 is the classic archetype of a future serial killer and just so happens to be the first being (presumably) to interact with the UD. So the Mind Flayer is this inscrutable, Lovecraftian being and becomes aware of and perceives our world through the twisted lens of a serial killer. Vecna isn't directly responsible for the creation of anything there, but he basically "poisoned" the Upside Down.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

Was there a retcon of how the initial connection to the Upside Down was made? In S1 it said that happened when 11 touched the Demogorgon, but this season she definitely makes a gate when she’s zaps 001, which would have been after the first contact scene from S1.

You have the sequence wrong. 11 yeets 01 into the Upside down first, then they start experimenting with sensory deprivation and make contact with the Demogorgon years later. Also the 'gate' she sends 001 through heals almost immediately after: https://twitter.com/joycelhopper/status/1527675076778262528

Away all Goats fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Jun 21, 2022

cirus
Apr 5, 2011

unlimited shrimp posted:

My sense is that he was the first person from our dimension to be sent to the upside down and so maybe he got special treatment when he arrived, particularly given his powers and his sensibilities.

I assume he is working for the Mind Flayer and that it was the Mind Flayer who made him into Vecna.

What I don't quite understand is why the Mind Flayer would then humor him by creating a Hawkins in the Upside Down.

I disagree. I don't think he's working for the Mind Flayer. I think he has been hiding from the MF otherwise why wouldn't the MF use him to open its own gates? He is making his move and able to control the creatures because the MF is captured in Russia leaving a power vacuum in the upside down.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Oh yeah that reminds me I don't think the 11 de-aging was quite there

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

cirus posted:

I disagree. the MF is captured in Russia leaving a power vacuum in the upside down.

Either you're mistaken or I must be missing something here because what? That's just a random demogorgon, isn't it?

cirus
Apr 5, 2011

Breetai posted:

Either you're mistaken or I must be missing something here because what? That's just a random demogorgon, isn't it?

The trailer for the second part of the season has the Russia gang come upon the black smoke trapped in a cage.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Breetai posted:

It's from the preview of Part II. It looks like they might have captured it or part of it.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Vecna is a false king of the upside down, the Mindflayer and the Upside Down itself are both more powerful than 001 and 011 combined. The Upside Down is a void. The Upside Down is 000.

Noob Saibot
Jan 29, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
Do the demogorgons “work” for the mindflayer? I liked it better when I thought these were all different creatures/entities that happened to live in the same dimension

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

zoux posted:

Oh yeah that reminds me I don't think the 11 de-aging was quite there

I think that was an actual child with a deaged 11 face mapped over hers. It was maybe more complicated than the usual kind.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

i cant stop runnin up that hill

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Tried to make a deal with God, but he's super into crypto now and it got a little weird

wuffles
Apr 10, 2004

I think vecna and the mindflayer have been working together but don’t have the same goals.

With at least part of the mindflayer stuck in russia, it really seems as though Vecna is using the power of the upside down for his own ends.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

sebmojo posted:

Tried to make a deal with God, but he's super into crypto now and it got a little weird

Keep slurping up those apes.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Noob Saibot posted:

Do the demogorgons “work” for the mindflayer? I liked it better when I thought these were all different creatures/entities that happened to live in the same dimension

Season 2 showed that they were tapped into a hivemind that the Mind Flayer was a central part of.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

unlimited shrimp posted:

Doesn’t the inverted Hawkins get created when Will goes to the Upside Down for the first time? At least according to Season 3, I don’t know if this holds up for Season 1, but whatever.

It seems to me that you have Vecna’s neighborhood in the UD where he has his house and the red sky, and then you have 1983 Hawkins which has a blue tint and basically places that are important to Will and the rest of the gang.

Coupled with the mentions of Will also being a “sensitive boy”, maybe there’s some people that for whatever reason make an impression in the Upside Down.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
I don't think they're ever going to fully explain the Upside Down because this whole series uses 80s movie logic, which is effectively none. There are so many things that happen on this show that are just complete and total bullshit that would never happen in real life even if you took away the psionic powers

You just have to let it go and not ask too many questions and just eat popcorn and enjoy it for what it is; an homage to 80s movies, intelligence insulting plot holes and all

As someone who was a kid in the 80s and remembers every movie they've referenced in the show I can say that the show doesn't make any more sense than any of those movies and that's OK

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Elephant Ambush posted:

I don't think they're ever going to fully explain the Upside Down because this whole series uses 80s movie logic, which is effectively none. There are so many things that happen on this show that are just complete and total bullshit that would never happen in real life even if you took away the psionic powers

You just have to let it go and not ask too many questions and just eat popcorn and enjoy it for what it is; an homage to 80s movies, intelligence insulting plot holes and all

As someone who was a kid in the 80s and remembers every movie they've referenced in the show I can say that the show doesn't make any more sense than any of those movies and that's OK

Exactly.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
I sorta hope Vecna sticks around and they don't successfully 100% win against him this season, firstly because I don't necessarily have faith in them wrapping everything up successfully this season if they want to get everyone together, pay off all the plotlines like the Russia stuff AND have a decent confrontation with him in the two eps we have left even if they are very long. Secondly, they knew they were doing a season 5 so I think it'd be better if they gave themselves the out to have Vecna continue to be the villain for the rest of the show since it'd save them having to spend another few episodes at the start of 5 introducing another new monster/threat that's disrupting normal life again, going through the motions and stuff, just cut all that out and have it start basically right after Season 4.

I guess if I were to sketch it out they'd end the season all assembled, having won the initial battle against Vecna, stopped him from killing Max/Nancy/whoever else he's targeting at that point but some definitively supernatural poo poo starts happening en masse in Hawkins while they're doing it so any idea of a cover up/keeping the parents in the dark stuff just becomes impossible to continue and Eddie can have his name cleared if he's not dead. We get some quality scenes of the shadow government operatives trying and failing to fight Upside Down monsters, maybe one big budget massacre scene, that kinda thing. Maybe Vecna and the Mind Flayer combine or something in classic fashion to be the big final threat in Season 5.

Aquasnake
Jan 30, 2013

"I... I did well, didn't I?"
From what I remember hearing, unlike prior seasons they plan on not wrapping everything up in a neat bow, so that they can hit season 5 running.
But also there's going to be a time skip because actors keep aging and puberty is a time that makes that particularly noticable.
Obviously those two facts (if true) are kind of working against each other, so I'm curious what they're going to do.

Tremors
Aug 16, 2006

What happened to the legendary Chris Redfield, huh? What happened to you?!

Aquasnake posted:

From what I remember hearing, unlike prior seasons they plan on not wrapping everything up in a neat bow, so that they can hit season 5 running.
But also there's going to be a time skip because actors keep aging and puberty is a time that makes that particularly noticable.
Obviously those two facts (if true) are kind of working against each other, so I'm curious what they're going to do.

S05e01 opens with a cold cut to the middle of a fight scene. Internal monologue plays over the action. "My name is El, I'm 16 years old. My favorite food is eggos. You're probably wondering how I got here..." Cut to cliffs notes vignettes to catch the audience up.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
I thought Season 4 was the last one so now I'm less concerned about them wrapping things up in two episodes.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I would enjoy a Return of the Living Dead ending.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

unlimited shrimp posted:

I thought Season 4 was the last one so now I'm less concerned about them wrapping things up in two episodes.

It's been stated for a while (I think since s2?) by the creators that it's a 5 season arc.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Barreft posted:

i cant stop runnin up that hill

Hounds of Love is one of the GOAT albums and I'm glad more people are going to check it out now.

I'm about halfway through season 4, my only thoughts so far really are lol that the big bad for this season is basically Freddy Krueger and then they just went and added a Robert Englund cameo to really hammer it home, Eddie is a great new addition who has an unmistakable Ted Raimi vibe that I love. Mike, Eleven and Will are utterly useless characters now that the writers don't seem to know what to do with anymore, every scene in the first half with them in it just dragged on and I hated it. Argyle was great, though. Not enough Argyle!

Robin is still the best character, Steve second best, Dustin a close third.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

King Vidiot posted:

Hounds of Love is one of the GOAT albums and I'm glad more people are going to check it out now.

I'm about halfway through season 4, my only thoughts so far really are lol that the big bad for this season is basically Freddy Krueger and then they just went and added a Robert Englund cameo to really hammer it home, Eddie is a great new addition who has an unmistakable Ted Raimi vibe that I love. Mike, Eleven and Will are utterly useless characters now that the writers don't seem to know what to do with anymore, every scene in the first half with them in it just dragged on and I hated it. Argyle was great, though. Not enough Argyle!

Robin is still the best character, Steve second best, Dustin a close third.

Dustin's probably the character I wouldn't miss if he died or moved away.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
So who's for sure dying?
Eddie because his straight-life is already ruined.
Will? Steve?

jisforjosh posted:

It's been stated for a while (I think since s2?) by the creators that it's a 5 season arc.

:shrug:
Stranger Things doesn't really exist for me outside of Netflix. I've never really been able to binge it or talk about it on here because of spoilers.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
I don't think there have been any main character deaths so far. The people who die are always supporting characters like Billy and Bob

I don't expect any of the main characters to die except maybe 11 at the very end but I hope not

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

In terms of least safe main character it’s probably Jonathan. Him or Will both really, but I don’t think they would have Will come out as gay and then immediately kill him

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

bobjr posted:

In terms of least safe main character it’s probably Jonathan. Him or Will both really, but I don’t think they would have Will come out as gay and then immediately kill him

We find out that Jonathan's real name is Brandon Jonathan Byers and he just went by his middle name forever and then he gets crushed by 5 demogorgons.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

bobjr posted:

Having lived through the 80s, I can absolutely see them killing Will right after he comes out.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Jedit posted:

Having lived through the 80s, I can absolutely see them killing Will right after he comes out.

need to show Nancy Reagan on the TV in the background first

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
Now that I know there's a S5 with a potential time skip, they'll probably save Will for suiciding at the start of S5 like the guy from It.

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib
Nancy is my fave, she really grew into an intrepid Lois Lane type character who refuses to be fobbed off, and knows the difference between following the rules and doing what's right. She shoots monsters, lies on the fly and will get to the bottom of it by hook or by crook.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

They should lean more into the Nightmare on Elm St references and have Will be possessed by Vecna followed by all sorts melodramatic inner struggle and innuendo as he tries to confide in Mike.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_bwn7TgPkZ4

Heck, follow it up by having the gang become "dream masters" with unique Upside Down abilities.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
new teaser image just dropped