Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Gumball Gumption posted:

Please don't be proud of being immune to evidence.

so what did happen?

All I'm saying is that there are people who like to post a certain way, they got a forum and then when the forum closed, a thread and then that closed as well. To me that's evidence that that style of posting doesn't sustain interest for any length of time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

fez_machine posted:

so what did happen?

All I'm saying is that there are people who like to post a certain way, they got a forum and then when the forum closed, a thread and then that closed as well. To me that's evidence that that style of posting doesn't sustain interest for any length of time.

people have told you multiple times that the EPA was a rotating sub forum which are only designed to last for a few months at most and that the EPA actually lasted a lot longer than most of them do (because the admins forgot to close it)

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Alaois posted:

people have told you multiple times that the EPA was a rotating sub forum which are only designed to last for a few months at most and that the EPA actually lasted a lot longer than most of them do (because the admins forgot to close it)

RSFs literally turn into real forums all the time, people actively wanted EPA to stay as well.

And what about the EPA thread? Why couldn't that survive?

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

fez_machine posted:

so what did happen?

It was temporary and always had a shelf life because it was part of the rotating forum thing SA admins do sometimes. It lasted longer than expected because it was incident free but busy and the admins forgot it was temporary. This has been posted multiple times in this thread.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

the EPA thread was closed because weirdos kept coming into it and starting fights

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."

fez_machine posted:

You have to ask Stone Cold 64 about that.

But I like to think I killed it by bringing up how Sammy Guevara jizzed on a championship belt.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I can take having a post dunked on, but there are a few observations/issues/trends I can highlight about general behavior here.

-Maybe this is a social media effect, but disbelieving that anyone posts in good faith. You don't have to read so much into innocuous comments.
-Morality policing without knowing a poster's background. There's a default bias that wrestlefans are all cis-het white men, and people call out other posts under that assumption (if you are one, you may not be aware of it).
-Inventing people/exaggerating traits to be mad at, and trying to connect the dots between posts like a corkboard conspiracy. Most posts really aren't so calculated.
-"It is the children who are wrong" whenever anyone dares to defend their point, as if many deciding to pile on one person makes them objectively wrong. Try asking what led them to think that.
-Not knowing when to stop or when a bit is tired. Three pages of "you fool, you absolute buffoon" at every marginally "wrong" opinion is utterly tiring. Consider how many times people need to restate the same point.

That said, when I face any of these, I'll elaborate once or twice max. But since a lot of people are determined to see bad faith takes regardless of context, I'll just exit the thread and let them punch themselves out, and then I don't read whatever snarky pwnage I'm sure they came up with long past its peak. If someone dredges up old poo poo after that because they've been taking notes, that's weird and it's their own drama, not mine. I have no idea whether I'm well-liked; I just enjoy my little Dragongate corner, and post well-meaning off the cuff weird poo poo everywhere else.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

fez_machine posted:

RSFs literally turn into real forums all the time, people actively wanted EPA to stay as well.

The person who opened the thread also closed it because that's how a forum works.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Alaois posted:

the EPA thread was closed because weirdos kept coming into it and starting fights

who? I read the last few pages of the thread and everyone seems to be getting along

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3989804

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

fez_machine posted:

RSFs literally turn into real forums all the time

This is the exception to rsf functionality and not the norm. It is not any indication of "proof a certain posting style is unsustainable and niche" or however you would like to put it

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

RobbZombae posted:

After I watched a few of my first Dynamites last year I posted in an AEW thread about what I liked and didn't like, mentioning I'm in the UK and not enjoying seemingly random stacks of multi-man tag matches.

The replies were something like "try watching the show, lmao" and "UK people are nutters".

I didn't feel bullied, but the vibes were weird af.

I post now and again in AEW threads (I'm not a very prolific poster anyways) but just want to say I totally understand why some posters would feel the need to bring up the atmosphere/cliques in those threads and I concur. In the past I've deleted a couple of posts and points I'd liked to have discussed on AEW before posting them because I knew the replies wouldn't be conducive to a conversation but just more defensive sniping and snideness. Clubhouse is the exact word to describe it.

In this thread you see a few posters mocking an original good faith post with their friends - they may think it's just a joke with their friend, but the person who made the OP probably doesn't think so, and it's a bad habit you see across the AEW threads. Talking around someone. Also, expressing this idea that posting any perceived negatives about AEW is "a bad opinion" and running people with those opinions off is great, actually (which has been posted a couple of times ITT) is weird whether it's an in-joke or not.

I have not been on the receiving end of this but have witnessed it. It's really annoying. The thing is once you are AEW-Brained enough you stop seeing statements like these as opinions but as a personal attack against their favorite live action wrestling e-fed.

I love AEW, it's great. But whenever I see something like that happen, and it's not that much, but it happens, it kinda drags me down because I post in a thread with people like that. Really what you'd want is to not shun posters. For something not even worth arguing about.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Bluedeanie posted:

This is the exception to rsf functionality and not the norm. It is not any indication of "proof a certain posting style is unsustainable and niche" or however you would like to put it

certainly wasn't a very popular RSF anyway and the much lauded appreciate Chris Jericho type threads rarely ever made it over a page

the most popular thread was naming people you'd jerk off to. which was also the most popular type of post in the EPA embassy thread

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

fez_machine posted:

certainly wasn't a very popular RSF anyway and the much lauded appreciate Chris Jericho type threads rarely ever made it over a page

the most popular thread was naming people you'd jerk off too and which was also the most popular type of post in EPA embassy thread

paul bearer btw

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

The Epa thread closed because me and SC64 agreed privately it was time to give the thread a break. It’s very funny that some people are still smoldering angry about it, that’s just good clean fun.

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

fez_machine posted:

who? I read the last few pages of the thread and everyone seems to be getting along

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3989804

We had a good time together, yes. And that means our "posting style" cannot be sustained. You got us there. So we had to abandon TEPA and turn back into reasonable level headed posters.

collocation
Jun 17, 2018

Eat My Fuc posted:

I agree and you can see it in the WWE thread where three or four posters who absolutely hate me no matter how nice I try to be

You get too much poo poo, but I've also seen you tell people to cope and seethe over Cody which like, while it's a 4chan meme or whatever, is also kind of not nice.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

fez_machine posted:

the most popular thread was naming people you'd jerk off to. which was also the most popular type of post in the EPA embassy thread

But you absolutely have not invented a conspiracy in your head and are very open to evidence and absolutely not doubling down when proven wrong over and over.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

IGgy IGsen posted:

We had a good time together, yes. And that means our "posting style" cannot be sustained. You got us there. So we had to abandon TEPA and turn back into reasonable level headed posters.

sounds like a cool club house

Gumball Gumption posted:

But you absolutely have not invented a conspiracy in your head and are very open to evidence and absolutely not doubling down when proven wrong over and over.

Moments ago, I quoted a guy saying "the EPA thread was closed because weirdos kept coming into it and starting fights ", which is disproved by the thread itself and I'm creating a conspiracy/false narrative in my head?

All I've said is that there's people who like to post EPA-style stuff and there's more people who don't

fez_machine fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Jun 20, 2022

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

I need to tell you all something, I never jerked it to a single wrestler. I posted so many names yet I've never actually done it. I'm a fraud, please don't kick me out of the Illuminati.

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

So, so, so frustrating.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I have a lot of feelings on this. It's annoying to me that as somebody else very accurately termed it, being flippant or dismissive is being equated to being cyber-bullied. It's annoying to me that the point of this place is to try and be funny and amuse each other and that's being characterized as a bad thing. It's really, really, really annoying to me that this discussion about criticizing AEW keeps getting framed as Well-Reasoned Well-Meaning Good Faith Critiques vs. Psychotic Overly Defensive AEW Fans. I am really sick of that framing and I find it so much more insulting than any of this alleged clubhouse behavior.

But mostly, just like.

This is just so motherfucking stupid. I'm actually kinda pissed off that this whole thing seems to have legitimately hurt yea ok's feelings because like. They didn't do anything? People are scared of them? That's legitimately one of the most absurd things I've ever heard. I've had tons of disagreements with yea ok, but if you just ask them to act serious and sometimes even if you don't, they'll drop the shtick and take you seriously and speak to you in a real, genuine, empathetic way. If somebody is legitimately scared of yea ok, it means they didn't even loving try to talk to them because I cannot even conceive of how you could feel that way if you actually tried to have a real conversation with them.

Fsmhunk
Jul 19, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
If they're afraid of yea ok they simply should not be watching AEW. Sinister figures like The House of Black and Darby (skeleton) are far too scary for them to view.

neoaxd
Nov 13, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WRJzrH3Ar0Y

Cool Post Beg
Mar 6, 2008

DADDY MAGIC
I don't read any of the show recap list posts unless a good gif catches my eye. No hostilities this is my burden to bear.

I always would appreciate a Shard tweet post though, love that big ol smile on the twitter av

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

Fsmhunk
Jul 19, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Lmfao

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

I wish the JR/Taz video guy was still with us, im sure he’d have something to say during a time like this….

neoaxd
Nov 13, 2004

NienNunb posted:

I wish the JR/Taz video guy was still with us, im sure he’d have something to say during a time like this….

This is the only real bullying in the this god dang forum fyi!!

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

I’ve typed and deleted many post for this little discussion we’re having, but not this one.

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

beggar posted:

I don't read any of the show recap list posts unless a good gif catches my eye. No hostilities this is my burden to bear.

I also don't read these posts because I do not find them interesting at all. But yeah that's like on me to skip over those posts as I don't want the people who post those to not be able to respond to media the way they like to. Nor would I ever think it's a reasonable response to start codifying what types of posting content is acceptable based purely on my personal tastes.

collocation
Jun 17, 2018

I almost quit posting awhile back because of Yea OK, but I think that was possibly intended, and that some would still likely view my quitting as a good thing, so maybe that's ok.

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

thanks for the clear explanations about TEPA and why it’s gone! much appreciated.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
I admit it. Yea ok scares the heck out of me.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
Yea ok is actually a very good poster and one of the few I see where I like to read their posts.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

NienNunb posted:

he died of a heart attack after seeing yea ok reply “lmao” to one of the great probes in the AEW thread

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

for the record i want to say i'm very glad to see you posting here again MJeff

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

collocation posted:

You get too much poo poo, but I've also seen you tell people to cope and seethe over Cody which like, while it's a 4chan meme or whatever, is also kind of not nice.

You’re right it’s not nice but it’s also said half heartedly to people who actually seething over Cody, a good guy who does good things and has a lot of dedicated fans like myself. They should act less unhinged about Cody Rhodes existing, which they have lately, and I appreciate it.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 10 days!

JUNGLE BOY posted:

Maybe y'all can take that up with the Admins to resolve that issue, as I don't think we're going to get to the bottom of it here by vaguely insinuating that its probably someone in the imagined cabal that bought it

If you mean disclosing an identity, that is 100% not going to happen. If you mean stopping the person purchasing from doing more of it, that is very likely not going to happen either unless they start issuing chargebacks, otherwise abuse the system somehow or something along those lines.

That being said I don't think we're under any obligation to keep a lovely undeserved avatar around any longer than it takes for the receiver to see it, so I'm not planning on letting that poo poo hang around forever either. Hopefully this doesn't become a trend.

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

This was indeed a real weird probe, maybe it was a joke probe idk. Odd stuff.

The sixer was by the IK who got their temporary powers because of a contest that STONE COLD 64 ran recently, friendly fire, what can I say.

fez_machine posted:

Look the only way to prove what you're trying to say is to make a new EPA RSF or forum and it sounds like that's the opposite of what you want, so maybe it's worth reconsidering what it is you're trying to do with these last few posts here.

lol

I'm glad to see some of you have worked out your differences/misunderstandings in the last couple pages, I must admit it is difficult to keep track of what still hangs in the air.

I'm gonna be up front here, I'm waiting to hear from Junpei and/or Karmic about this either privately or publicly before I go kramering in to your wrestling thread(s), I don't know most of you and it is difficult to decipher all the dynamics and relationships from outside.

Meanwhile, please be more mindful with keeping posts in this thread on-topic, this discussion is important and I want to minimize artificial barriers to parsing it. I'm not gonna be probing posts from the last few pages (though someone else still might :shrug:), but below this post is very thin ice.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

I don't think i've seen junpei post in PSP in months

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

collocation posted:

I almost quit posting awhile back because of Yea OK, but I think that was possibly intended, and that some would still likely view my quitting as a good thing, so maybe that's ok.

I enjoy you and your thread while I do not understand the thread completely I like having you around. I think less people should lurk, more should post and no one should quit.

You lot are my friends.