Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

Bug Squash posted:

What a career, grandfather of one of the biggest games in history, bash out hit after hit in their own new genre of puzzle game, explain everything in an interactive book, then just retire from games.

It's bittersweet. I'm very glad he gets to make his own finale instead of fading away. But gently caress, his stuff is so good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
Anyone else order the deluxe edition? I didn't get any confirmation email, but I do see it listed in my PayPal history.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

Guy Axlerod posted:

Anyone else order the deluxe edition? I didn't get any confirmation email, but I do see it listed in my PayPal history.

Yeah, same here. Got the receipt from paypal but nothing else so far.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Snake Maze posted:

Yeah, same here. Got the receipt from paypal but nothing else so far.
Same - I got the receipt from paypal but that's it.

RoastBeef
Jul 11, 2008

Guy Axlerod posted:

I got a paypal receipt but nothing from Zachtronics yet.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
Ok, then I won't bother Zach about it.

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

Same here. Iirc everything was handled through Paypal for the Exapunks limited and a quick search of my emails seems to agree (only seeing a receipt, shipping notice a few weeks later, and humble preorder for the key).

Hub Cat fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Jun 17, 2022

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
I think it's just Zach and a couple of other people handling the goods themselves so you'll probably get an email once it's shipped out.

https://twitter.com/zachtronics/status/1537291395056095232?t=8AQlXWA45k8p3OFUihl_9Q&s=19

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
I just got my shipping notice, for reference.

RoastBeef
Jul 11, 2008

RoastBeef posted:

I got a paypal receipt but nothing from Zachtronics yet.

I just got a tracking number fwiw.

RadioDog
May 31, 2005
Ok I'm on the hunt for a game that I thought was a Zachtronics, but I'm not seeing it in their Steam listing. It looks like a black and white 2D overhead version of Infinifactory where you combine shapes on conveyors to make a requested item. Don't know if it's any good or not, don't even know what it's called, but I only saw a glimpse of it one day then got pulled away (squirrel!) and now have no idea where or what it was.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

RadioDog posted:

Ok I'm on the hunt for a game that I thought was a Zachtronics, but I'm not seeing it in their steam listing. It looks like a black and white 2D overhead version of Infinifactory where you combine shapes on conveyors to make a requested item. Don't know if it's any good or not, don't even know what it's called, but I only saw a glimpse of it one day then got pulled away (squirrel!) and now have no idea where of what it was.

Are you thinking of Shapez.io?

RadioDog
May 31, 2005

Tenebrais posted:

Are you thinking of Shapez.io?

That's it, exactly. YaY! Thank you! I even had a hint of a memory of shapes a while back, and searched "shapes" with no luck!

:anguish smilie:

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

It's a neat game but more zen-like and focused around scaling up instead of solving puzzles using logic (a "proper" zach-like).

I've been playing Infinite Turtles and it's a cool zach-like. The demo is very meaty and your save works in the full game. Highly recommended to check it out.

It's based around nested units, so you can use the results of a level as a block in your next solutions, recursively as much as you want. My main gripe currently is that most difficulty comes from fitting in locks everywhere to ensure everything works regardless of delays or stacked inputs and such. The basic circuits you build are pretty straightforward.

Samopsa fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Jun 20, 2022

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Got my steam key but I’m at work. Is the game actually unlocked for play?

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

No, the planned release date is the 5th of july.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

I got tracking info and apparently my feelies are coming tomorrow but yeah, game not unlocked yet.

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Yeah, I was stoked when I got the key, then I put it in and it added it to my library but then there's no download/play button, just "Coming 6 Jul, 2022". First time I had a key that didn't immediately let me get the game, but I suppose they must be fairly common. So while I'm definitely going to be a lot more productive at work today, was a teeny bit of a letdown.

Daedalus1134
Sep 14, 2005

They see me rollin'

Got my 3D print all ready for the sticker set arriving tomorrow.

I noticed the 3d model for the drive doesn't have an actual slot, I had to modify the model so I could stick a cartridge inside.

Daedalus1134
Sep 14, 2005

They see me rollin'

Samopsa posted:

It's a neat game but more zen-like and focused around scaling up instead of solving puzzles using logic (a "proper" zach-like).

I've been playing Infinite Turtles and it's a cool zach-like. The demo is very meaty and your save works in the full game. Highly recommended to check it out.

It's based around nested units, so you can use the results of a level as a block in your next solutions, recursively as much as you want. My main gripe currently is that most difficulty comes from fitting in locks everywhere to ensure everything works regardless of delays or stacked inputs and such. The basic circuits you build are pretty straightforward.

This seems pretty similar to Prime Mover, not that that's a bad thing.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Daedalus1134 posted:

This seems pretty similar to Prime Mover, not that that's a bad thing.

Yup, but infinite turtles literally goes in depth. You can place a block on the board that contains a board within. So you can plop down a previous solution as a single tile to use in the current problem, and edit it if needed; or add the current board as a single tile for full recursion. You can go back to previous solutions and edit them and all instances of that board will update on all other solutions.

It's also possible to make bespoke tiles just for the current puzzle. It's pretty neat!

After a couple of hours the main struggle remains fitting in all the necessary components to account for delays. When doing test runs sometimes you'll need to buffer an input for quite a while, and if you used one of your self-designed solutions that can't handle that everything falls apart. Lots of going back to basically add signals to accept input when everything is ready to be processed / the previous solution has finished. This is basically always the same set of components that you need to add to all solutions and takes up a lot of space.

Looking at the leaderboards I'd guess the top scorers made a specific solution just to get on the leaderboards, but the solution doesn't work when using the solution as a component in a different puzzle.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Samopsa posted:

Yup, but infinite turtles literally goes in depth. You can place a block on the board that contains a board within. So you can plop down a previous solution as a single tile to use in the current problem, and edit it if needed; or add the current board as a single tile for full recursion. You can go back to previous solutions and edit them and all instances of that board will update on all other solutions.

IIRC Prime Mover does the same thing.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Kennel posted:

IIRC Prime Mover does the same thing.

Yeah, but prime mover only has local subchips instead of the global ones, and no recursion iirc? It feels more like a core game mechanic in Turtles (and its also the focus of the plot so far).

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

I believe compressure does the board within a board thing, which makes sense as it is the same author's previous game. I didn't get far enough into it to get a good impression but it seemed interesting.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Daedalus1134 posted:

Got my 3D print all ready for the sticker set arriving tomorrow.

I noticed the 3d model for the drive doesn't have an actual slot, I had to modify the model so I could stick a cartridge inside.

Is there anywhere I can go to get this printed on my behalf? I don't have a 3d printer.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
A decent number of public libraries give people access to 3d printers these days.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
And there's tons of services that print and mail them (for money).

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

It's super effective!

Kennel posted:

And there's tons of services that print and mail them (for money).

Thanks! I checked SA-Mart and also found the 3D printer thread in Hobbies and put out a couple of feelers.

Nth Doctor fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Jun 21, 2022

dumby
Oct 25, 2007
Loved all of these games, only finished opus magnum (the easiest?). Cheers to a great run

Daedalus1134
Sep 14, 2005

They see me rollin'

3D print with the sticker kit applied is super cute.

Ignoranus
Jun 3, 2006

HAPPY MORNING

Samopsa posted:

Thanks for sharing this, I enjoyed the demo and will probably pick up the full game soon. It really reminded me of Jahooma's LogicBox, which has a similar grid setup and uses the same 'your earlier solutions become boxes you can use on future puzzles (and their efficiency impacts the puzzles you use them in' setup. It doesn't really include any need to solve for race conditions/timing issues like Infinite Turtles, though.

I've also recently been playing through "Comet64", which is on Steam. It reminds me of playing something like TIS-100, but I found that the actual puzzles have mostly been not terribly challenging.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Brief interview with Zach that announces one little extra project after Last Call, and also suggests that the end may not be the end.

quote:

Zachtronics will release Last Call BBS next month. We’re also working on a long-awaited solitaire collection that we’re hoping to have out by the end of the year. After that, the team will disband. We all have different ideas, interests, tolerances for risk, and so on, so we’re still figuring out what we want to do next.

quote:

We actually shut down Zachtronics once before, back in 2015, when I went to work at Valve for what ended up being 10 months. It gave us an opportunity to cash out some of our equity, re-engage with the rest of the games industry, and rebuild from scratch.

quote:

We felt it was time for a change. This might sound weird, but while we got very good at making ‘Zachtronics games’ over the last twelve years, it was hard for us to make anything else. We were fortunate enough to carve out a special niche, and I’m thankful that we’ve been able to occupy it and survive in it, but it also kept us locked into doing something we didn’t feel like doing forever.

quote:

My original plan was to wrap things up at Zachtronics and then find a new job teaching high school computer science, but the timing was off. I just finished my first year of teaching and Last Call BBS hasn’t even been released yet! I was hoping that I’d really like teaching and stay with that for a few years, but I learned that’s definitely not the case and I’m having a hard time imagining anything other than games in my future, in some shape or form.

What we do next as individuals or collaborators is a question we are very actively discussing right now. I’m particularly interested in freelancing and weird side projects, while other members of the team are drawn to the idea of a stable job with more growth potential than a small indie studio that makes what’s essentially the same game every year.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

It sounds like he's just like, a bit bored with his own formula. I can't say I blame him. It explains the forays into other genres and the longer stretch between games as well. "Think of a weird programming model and build a game out of it" probably isn't as interesting to do the tenth time.

Eggnogium
Jun 1, 2010

Never give an inch! Hnnnghhhhhh!
It's kind of cool to have a studio be small enough that you can just disband when the creatives are ready to move on rather than stick around as a zombie brand for decades producing trash completely unrelated to the original team.

But for all I know his collaborators are quietly pissed about having to find new jobs.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

It's super effective!

Eggnogium posted:

It's kind of cool to have a studio be small enough that you can just disband when the creatives are ready to move on rather than stick around as a zombie brand for decades producing trash completely unrelated to the original team.

But for all I know his collaborators are quietly pissed about having to find new jobs.

They were already owned by a larger game company. I could see internal transfers being available.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
Are any of you in Europe and have received the package yet? The last update on my tracking is from June 22, so I guess I won’t get it in time for the release

Green Wing
Oct 28, 2013

It's the only word they know, but it's such a big word for a tiny creature

ymgve posted:

Are any of you in Europe and have received the package yet? The last update on my tracking is from June 22, so I guess I won’t get it in time for the release

I'm in the UK, got mine last week. Trying to resist opening the envelope inside.

I've been playing The Signal State a lot which I'm sure people have heard of, devilishly hard Zach-like.

Green Wing fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Jul 4, 2022

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Nth Doctor posted:

They were already owned by a larger game company. I could see internal transfers being available.
Ohhh I actually had no idea - I wonder if this is why they're "shutting down"? Getting out from under this owner after getting paid? Do something else for a couple years then come back with a new company after non-competes are up?

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Nth Doctor posted:

When were they owned by a larger company, and which one? As far as I know Zachtronics has always been independent.

edit: Apparently they've been owned by something called "Alliance Media Holdings" since 2015 - I guess they've been pretty much in the background since Zachtronics is listed as the publisher and developer on their Steam games.

ymgve fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Jul 4, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

ymgve posted:

When were they owned by a larger company, and which one? As far as I know Zachtronics has always been independent.
I thought the same thing until I read that post, but wikipedia says this at least:

quote:

In 2015, Barth joined Valve to work on SteamVR.[8] He worked there for 10 months before departing.[9] Near the time he started to work at Valve, Barth had been considering shutting down Zachtronics due to stress of running the business alongside the new responsibilities at Valve. Sometime between the release of TIS-100 and Shenzhen I/O, Barth had come into contact with Alliance Media Holdings who offered to buy the studio and to manage the publishing of the games, while allowing Barth to retain his creative lead and control.[7] Since the studio's acquisition, it has published Shenzhen I/O, Opus Magnum, and Exapunks.[7]