Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Yeah, having a strong lamp near your turntable is pretty much mandatory, I’d say

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

wa27 posted:

I've only ever seen this on new records, and it's stupid. My copy of My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy needs a magnifying glass to tell which side is which (and there's 6 of them)

I have a few records like this (I think Ok Computer and a couple others. ) I just wrote what side it was in sharpie. I guess if you are worried about value you could stick a post-it note on the label. I used to do that when I played out in dark bars.

Edit:. A piece of painters tape would work too maybe

sporklift fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Jun 19, 2022

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Nihonniboku posted:

One thing I've decided I dislike about some vinyls records is when they don't label which side is which! Ok, I guess the order of songs on the album that you spent months or years working on doesn't matter after all.

Look in the dead wax and there will be an A or B after the matrix number.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

My OG first pressing of De-loused... looks like the records were stuck up on a wall and spray painted silver. There's no identifying marks on them at all.

I don't really know their songs that well either so I have no idea whether I have put the correct side of the right record on to play first :D

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Enos Cabell posted:

Stewed on it for a while, but ended up spending more than I paid for my Marantz 2230 to buy a replica WC-22 walnut case. Just have to wait for shipping from Serbia now, but that'll give me time to clean up the 2230.

probably blowing up my spot but if either you fancy in the box Marantz vintage turntable and power amp there is a reasonable bid going down on this estate sale site.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Dead Goon posted:

My OG first pressing of De-loused... looks like the records were stuck up on a wall and spray painted silver. There's no identifying marks on them at all.

I don't really know their songs that well either so I have no idea whether I have put the correct side of the right record on to play first :D

You really ought to get those right. Please allow me to help. :agesilaus:

Here’s side 1 track 1: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=sJDDNyGBsw8

And side 3 track 1: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ZNRZ91t7B0I

I’m a heathen who writes on the labels too if it comes down to it. Sometimes even when it is labeled, but that’s more out of my own ignorance.

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

We've already seen a dead horse
How do you folks use categories on Discogs?

I’ve never known how it ought to be used, so my relatively small (roughly 250) collection is all marked ‘uncategorized’. I feel like there must be a better way of organising it into something vaguely usable.

Virgil Vox
Dec 8, 2009

Creature posted:

I’ve never known how it ought to be used, so my relatively small (roughly 250) collection is all marked ‘uncategorized’. I feel like there must be a better way of organising it into something vaguely usable.

I used it for storage to mark where or what collection it was in

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Creature posted:

I use the Discogs genres, so I have categories like "Electronic, Jazz, Rock, Children's, Stage & Screen " and "Classical, Folk, World & Country.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

Creature posted:

I don't. Way too lazy for that. I might though soon, as I'm slowly adding a box of like 100+ of my Mom's old 45s from the late 50s/early 60s into discogs to see if any have any value (spoiler alert: they don't).

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Creature posted:

Artist country.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

incoherent posted:

probably blowing up my spot but if either you fancy in the box Marantz vintage turntable and power amp there is a reasonable bid going down on this estate sale site.

That is pretty amazing, but shipping would be a bitch I'm sure. Good luck if you're bidding on it!

esperantinc
May 5, 2003

JERRY! HELLO!

No one else bid on it because I want to win and I can go pick it up!

Moe_Rahn
Jun 1, 2006

I got a question
why they hatin' on me?
I ain't did nothin' to 'em
but count this money
and put my team on
got my whole clique stunnin'
boy wassup
yeeeeeaaaaaahhhh

Creature posted:

These are my pretty vague categories, they're more to satisfy my compulsion to sort stuff than anything. "Uncategorized" is the default for any of "my" records, some of the others are by origin (e.g. "X's Parents' Records" is pretty self-explanatory, "Briefcase Full of 8-Tracks" is a, well, briefcase full of 8-tracks, that I bought at a garage sale and am very slowly cataloguing because most of them aren't in the database.)

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
Why is Kyuss not categorized as Under the Influence, come on man

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

We've already seen a dead horse

Toe Rag posted:

Artist country.

I'm trying to focus on finding more Finnish albums so sorting them into their own category makes sense. Can't believe I hadn't thought of this.

Moe_Rahn posted:

These are my pretty vague categories, they're more to satisfy my compulsion to sort stuff than anything. "Uncategorized" is the default for any of "my" records, some of the others are by origin (e.g. "X's Parents' Records" is pretty self-explanatory, "Briefcase Full of 8-Tracks" is a, well, briefcase full of 8-tracks, that I bought at a garage sale and am very slowly cataloguing because most of them aren't in the database.)

Briefcase full of 8 tracks,
b-b-b briefcase full of 8 tracks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eN1trwnxBhU

midge
Mar 15, 2004

World's finest snatch.
Requesting to see "Under The Influence" in its entirety svp

Moe_Rahn
Jun 1, 2006

I got a question
why they hatin' on me?
I ain't did nothin' to 'em
but count this money
and put my team on
got my whole clique stunnin'
boy wassup
yeeeeeaaaaaahhhh

Barry posted:

Why is Kyuss not categorized as Under the Influence, come on man

midge posted:

Requesting to see "Under The Influence" in its entirety svp
lol, it's actually the folder for this series of split covers 7"s:

https://www.discogs.com/label/205667-Under-The-Influence-2

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Enos Cabell posted:

That is pretty amazing, but shipping would be a bitch I'm sure. Good luck if you're bidding on it!

There is some wild poo poo there that they don't ship. I've seen B&O vintage tables go for like seven bucks because the sale doesn't want to ship.

e: which one of you emailed the seller to post pics of the turntable. it wasn't like that 4 days ago.

incoherent fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Jun 20, 2022

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Turbinosamente posted:

I'll have to double check my math to make sure I haven't yet hit the tax limit for selling online, but for $100 I could be persuaded to sell mine. I'm not a Foo Fighters fan and my mom was disappointed in the covers.

Turbinosamente is awesome. They sold me this album at a very fair price after giving it a listen-through to ensure its quality. Hats off to you goon sir, madam, or non-specified!

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

IUG posted:

Turbinosamente is awesome. They sold me this album at a very fair price after giving it a listen-through to ensure its quality. Hats off to you goon sir, madam, or non-specified!

Hey thanks, always glad to deal and make goons happy! I'm sure everyone probably knows I'm a madam by now with the amount of junk I've bought and sold on this forum over the years. :v:

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Recent pick-ups:

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
[points finger-gun menacingly]

You WILL give me the Primus and Parliament records. :colbert:

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Read After Burning posted:

[points finger-gun menacingly]

You WILL give me the Primus and Parliament records. :colbert:

They’re both easy to find reissues now

https://www.discogs.com/release/23266973-Primus-Sailing-The-Seas-Of-Cheese
https://www.discogs.com/release/3158103-Parliament-Chocolate-City

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Alternative Tentacles is having a 30% off sale on their entire site. Stuff is selling out like crazy though.

marjorie
May 4, 2014

I read that as Alternative Testicles at first and was confused about what thread I'd accidentally wandered into.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

marjorie posted:

I read that as Alternative Testicles at first and was confused about what thread I'd accidentally wandered into.

If it makes you feel any better I make that joke a lot because I'm a dipshit with an incredibly juvenile sense of humor.

marjorie
May 4, 2014

It does make me feel better because dipshits love company!

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Haul over the past ~6 months.

40 Greatest College Football Marches (early 1960s, so it's got a bunch of Ivy League schools)
Tom Lehrer - The Year That Was
Jean-Luc Ponty - Civilized Evil
ELP - Tarkus
Moody Blues - Seventh Sojourn
Jefferson Airplane - Surrealistic Pillow
Jan & Dean - Live In Person (with Hal Blaine conducting the orchestra)
Procol Harum - Live
ELP - Emerson, Lake & Palmer
Ink Spots - Greatest Hits
Moody Blues - A Question of Balance
5th Dimension - Greatest Hits
Rupp (Non-music thing about Kentucky coach Adolph Rupp)
Platters - Encore Golden Hits
Moody Blues - Days of Future Passed

And there's a 78 in there.

Half of it was grabbed a library sale.

UwUnabomber
Sep 9, 2012

Pubes dreaded out so hoes call me Chris Barnes. I don't wear a condom at the pig farm.
I have that Tom Lehrer record and it was the best $0.25 I ever spent.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

My copy of The Year That Was was pulled from a stack labeled FREE. And that's how I also got six Jimmy Buffet albums. :c00l:

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
Are slipmats worth it? As in, do they do anything?

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

dorium posted:

Recent pick-ups:

Black Byrd is great, how much was it? I have Ethiopian Knights and have been on the lookout for Black Byrd for a while to no avail, and haven't pulled the trigger on discogs

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

Black Byrd is great, how much was it? I have Ethiopian Knights and have been on the lookout for Black Byrd for a while to no avail, and haven't pulled the trigger on discogs

It was $25 but the shop guy inspected it before he sold it and saw it had a light dishing on the disc so he knocked 8 bucks off it.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

CornHolio posted:

Aren't they pretty much required?

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

CornHolio posted:

My weird al one looks amazing.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

Yeah, but then I have to PAY for them. Robbing you is free. :colbert:

Had no idea Sailing the Seas of Cheese was re-pressed! :dance: Thank you.

I saw this and thought there was a new El-P album I had missed. :doh:

CornHolio posted:

I don't know if it "does" anything, but I have this one and love watching it spin under a clear record.
https://www.fangamer.com/collections/vinyl-slipmats/products/banjo-kazooie-vinyl-slipmat

Virgil Vox
Dec 8, 2009

CornHolio posted:

Do you have a need to hold the record still while the platter spins underneath?

CatBlack
Sep 10, 2011

hello world
The rubber ones are better cause they'll never stick to your record when you pull it off

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

CornHolio posted:

They're necessary but you don't have to get some novelty bullshit that costs 50 bucks. I'd also suggest rubber instead of felt because felt mats create a lot of static.

Cemetry Gator posted:

My weird al one looks amazing.

You're going to tell us this and not show us?