Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
I called it. It was gravygravitas.

quote:

There has been a great deal of speculation as to why retired Judge Michael Luttig spoke so slowly at Thursday's hearing of the House Select Committee Investigating the Jan. 6 Attack on the U.S. Capitol.

"I like how this guy treats every line of his testimony like he's engraving it on a national monument. And frankly, he really *is* engraving it for history. And he seems to know it," Vanity Fair writer Joe Hagan wrote in a Twitter thread.

"I also respect, despite how halting he may sound, that Luttig is not setting himself up to be a mere soundbite maker. He's speaking to history, not TV," he wrote. "His sobriety, his graveness, his hallowedness, is so foreign to our modern sensibilities - but that's the point. That is the precise point."

The thread was noticed by the former judge.

"Thank you so much for this thread, Mr. Hagan," Luttig wrote, beginning his own Twitter thread. "You almost presciently understood precisely what I was at least attempting to do to the best of my abilities during the hearing Thursday."
"What you could not know, and did not know, but I will tell you now, is that I believed I had an obligation to the Select Committee and to the country, first to formulate . . . then to measure . . . and then . . . to meter out . . .every . . . single . . . word . . . that I spoke . . . , carefully . . . exactingly . . . and . . . deliberately, so that the words I spoke were pristine clear and would be heard, and therefore understood, as such," he explained.

"I believed Thursday that I had that high responsibility and obligation -- to myself, even if to no other. Also please bear in mind that Thursday was the first time in 68 years, to my knowledge, I had ever been on national television, let alone national television like that. And though not scared, I was concerned that I do my very best and not embarrass myself, as I think anyone who found themselves in that frightening circumstance would be," he continued.

"I decided to respond to your at once astute and understanding tweet finally this afternoon, because I have been watching the tweets all day suggesting that I am recovering from a severe stroke, and my friends, out of their concern for me and my family, have been earnestly forwarding me these tweets, asking me if I am alright. Such is social media, I understand. But I profoundly believe in social media's foundational, in fact revolutionary, value and contribution to Free Speech in our country, and for that reason I willingly accept the occasional bad that comes from social media, in return for the much more frequent good that comes from it -- at least from the vastly more responsible, respectful speech on those media," he wrote.

"That is why, 16 years after my retirement from the Bench, even then as a very skeptical, curmudgeonly old federal judge, I created a Facebook account and then a Twitter account -- slowly . . . very slowly . . . one account first . . . and then . . . followed . . . by the other. All of this said, I am not recovering from a stroke or any other malady, I promise. Thankfully, I have never been as sick or as so debilitated as that ever in my life, and would not want that for anyone. Knock on wood, I have never even been really sick a day in my life," he revealed.

"I was more ready, prepared and intellectually focused (I had thought) during Thursday's hearing than I have ever been for anything in my life. I gather my face appeared 'too red' for some on Twitter, betraying to them serious illness. The explanation was more innocent than that.At the last minute, I had been able during the weekend preceding my testimony to help my daughter get settled into her new home, where the temperatures were in the upper 90s, and where I was appreciatively, though unwittingly, to get just a little bit of needed suntan!" he wrote.

"What I will say, though, is this. And I think it explains it all. All my life, I have said (as to myself, and at times, by way of sarcastic prescription for others) that I never . . . talk . . . any . . . faster . . . than . . . my . . . mind . . . can . . . think. I will proudly assure everyone on Twitter that I was riveted, laser-like as never before, on that promise to myself beginning promptly at the hour of 1:00 pm Thursday afternoon," he wrote. "What is more, as consciously as one can be aware of something subconsciously, I was, in your poetic words of which I was, and am myself, incapable even of conjuring, Mr. Hagan, supremely conscious that, if I were chiseling words in stone that day, it was imperative that I chisel the exact words that I would want to be chiseled in stone, were I chiseling words in stone for history."

"So, in all sincerity, thank you, all of you on Twitter, who are genuinely concerned about me. I can assure you that on last Thursday, June 16, I had never felt, or been, better in my life. And now, two days later, I feel better, still! For better or worse, I was as compos mentis as I have ever been last Thursday, June 16, 2022. But please keep checking on me from time to time! You just never know these days! Thank you, everyone! You're the best!" Luttig said.

https://www.rawstory.com/michael-luttig-speaks/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

I can't believe this is loving real

https://twitter.com/judgeluttig/status/1538266501530234881
https://twitter.com/judgeluttig/status/1538266513433673729
https://twitter.com/judgeluttig/status/1538266523520880640

I thought for sure it was a parody, but if that Twitter account is fake, then someone's been pretending to be Luttig for a very long time

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
edit: oops wrong thread

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
Lol, I think whoever said he does it so the media can't use his quotes as soundbites is correct.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
Judge Luttig, irritating people throughout history.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
Yup, he may be on our side on this but he's still a Conservative, so in the end, he still had to own the libs.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Main Paineframe posted:

I can't believe this is loving real

https://twitter.com/judgeluttig/status/1538266501530234881
https://twitter.com/judgeluttig/status/1538266513433673729
https://twitter.com/judgeluttig/status/1538266523520880640

I thought for sure it was a parody, but if that Twitter account is fake, then someone's been pretending to be Luttig for a very long time

thats loving weird, i assumed it was a stroke or something. my dad was sorta like that (not that slow and he is fine now) after his stroke.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Dapper_Swindler posted:

thats loving weird, i assumed it was a stroke or something. my dad was sorta like that (not that slow and he is fine now) after his stroke.

The dude just writes like a Victorian House of Lords member. Its an affectation.

Also, I thought I used too many commas jesus h. christ lol

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
In Water is Wet news

https://apnews.com/article/capitol-siege-ivanka-trump-biden-voting-elections-1ccfd89df6868911d934529b9e47d6c8

quote:

One by one, several of Donald Trump’s former top advisers have told a special House committee investigating his role in the Jan. 6 insurrection that they didn’t believe his lies about the 2020 election, and that the former president knew he lost to Joe Biden.

But instead of convincing Trump’s most stalwart supporters, testimony from former attorney general Bill Barr and Trump’s daughter Ivanka about the election and the attack on the U.S. Capitol is prompting many of them to simply reassert their views that the former president was correct in his false claim of victory.

Barr’s testimony that Trump was repeatedly told there was no election fraud? He was paid off by a voting machine company, according to one false claim that went viral this week. Ivanka Trump saying she didn’t believe Trump either? It’s all part of Trump’s grand plan to confuse his enemies and save America.

The claims again demonstrate how deeply rooted Trump’s false narrative about the election has become.

“It’s cognitive dissonance,” said Jennifer Stromer-Galley, a Syracuse University professor who has studied how Trump used social media and advertising to mobilize his base. “If you believe what Trump says, and now Bill Barr and Trump’s own daughter are saying these other things, it creates a crack, and people have to fill it.”

Following his testimony, many Trump supporters using sites like Reddit, GETTR and Telegram blasted Barr as a turncoat and noted that he’s disputed Trump’s election claims before.

But many others began grasping for alternative explanations for this testimony.

“I’m still hoping Barr is playing a role,” one poster said on a Telegram channel popular with Trump supporters.

One post that spread widely this week suggested Barr was paid by Dominion Voting Systems, a company targeted by Trump and his supporters with baseless claims of vote rigging. “From 2009 to 2018, DOMINION PAID BARR $1.2 million in cash and granted him another $1.1 million in stock awards, according to SEC filings. (No wonder Barr can’t find any voter fraud!),” the post read.

Wrong Dominion. Barr was paid by Dominion Energy, a publicly traded company headquartered in Richmond, Virginia, that provides power and heat to customers in several mid-Atlantic states.

Some Trump supporters dismissed Ivanka Trump’s testimony entirely by questioning whether any of it was real. That’s another common refrain seen on far-right message boards. Many posters say they don’t even believe the hearings are happening, but are a Hollywood production starring stand-ins for the former president’s daughter and others.

“She looks different in a big way,” one poster asked on Telegram. “CGI?”

RWM consumers and MAGA's ignore reality.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Trust the plan, pedes

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Oracle posted:

The dude just writes like a Victorian House of Lords member. Its an affectation.

Also, I thought I used too many commas jesus h. christ lol

I know. I write like this guy. I also am deeply, fully aware that you cannot speak that way, much less extemporaneously.

Good god. 😂 I'll remember that for sure

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
So the next one is tomorrow, right?

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Silly Burrito posted:

So the next one is tomorrow, right?

Yep, 10am PST, 1pm Eastern.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

This is great though, right? It splits the Republican vote between those who understand trump is a grifting criminal and those who believe he's the puppet master. Surely that has to hurt the numbers just enough to lose the next election, right?

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

Judge Schnoopy posted:

This is great though, right? It splits the Republican vote between those who understand trump is a grifting criminal and those who believe he's the puppet master. Surely that has to hurt the numbers just enough to lose the next election, right?

Narrator: "Those who understand Trump is a grifting criminal" voted for him anyway.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Charliegrs posted:

Narrator: "Those who understand Trump is a grifting criminal" voted for him anyway.

how'd that work out in 2020?

Sekhmnet
Jan 22, 2019

Herstory Begins Now posted:

almost good enough; which is frightening

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

his approval among republicans never wavered and he almost won the most votes of any presidential candidate, losing only to biden

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
Only the last 4 words of that matter.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Only the last 4 words of that matter.
not the point of the argument

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
He lost by 7+ million votes and 80 electors. If anyone wants to argue that trump bleeding off republican support didn't matter by all means by my guest, but that's a very hard case to make when 1) he lost badly and 2) the republican party is currently eating itself over the Trump stuff.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

He lost by 7+ million votes and 80 electors. If anyone wants to argue that trump bleeding off republican support didn't matter by all means by my guest, but that's a very hard case to make when 1) he lost badly and 2) the republican party is currently eating itself over the Trump stuff.

He didn't bleed off Republican support. He galvanized a historic number of democrats and independents to come out and vote against him.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
He pretty clearly did both.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

He pretty clearly did both.

He got 10 million more votes than in 2016.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
And was it enough?

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

And was it enough?

To reiterate:

Sekhmnet posted:

almost good enough; which is frightening

That it took one of the highest turnouts in our history to keep him from taking power again also has a factor here. By percentage of voter age, the only time the turnout was higher was back in 1960. By eligibility and pure numbers, it was the highest since we started recording it.

The fact that he earned 10 million more votes than he did in 2016 is proof enough that he didn't 'split' the Republican party, no matter how criminal he was.

If you were to argue that the GOP loses elections due to being unpopular (as they have lost the popular vote in the past four elections) then we have something to go on. But saying that Trump is splitting the party when more people than ever showed the exact opposite is pretty far-fetched. If you have evidence of this, that would definitely help your point.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
He also only lost by like 43,000 votes in a few states that matter. Lol.

So yeah, I think if he really divided the party, two impeachments would've done the job. Mayne it made some traditional voters upset but also picked up some crazies to offset that, who don't care how much he's criming

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

J.A.B.C. posted:

To reiterate:

That it took one of the highest turnouts in our history to keep him from taking power again also has a factor here. By percentage of voter age, the only time the turnout was higher was back in 1960. By eligibility and pure numbers, it was the highest since we started recording it.

The fact that he earned 10 million more votes than he did in 2016 is proof enough that he didn't 'split' the Republican party, no matter how criminal he was.

If you were to argue that the GOP loses elections due to being unpopular (as they have lost the popular vote in the past four elections) then we have something to go on. But saying that Trump is splitting the party when more people than ever showed the exact opposite is pretty far-fetched. If you have evidence of this, that would definitely help your point.

the dems picked up 20 million votes over 2016 and while no doubt that was in large part because of strong dem turnout, seems bizarre to suggest none of that was because of lean-Rs/business Rs switching sides, which demonstrably did happen according to both polling and exit polls. Not in absolutely massive numbers, but the margins of victory of closely contested state races are rarely large

mobby_6kl posted:

He also only lost by like 43,000 votes in a few states that matter. Lol.

So yeah, I think if he really divided the party, two impeachments would've done the job. Mayne it made some traditional voters upset but also picked up some crazies to offset that, who don't care how much he's criming

Yeah prevailing understanding of 2020 is basically that: trump activated a ton of longtime non-voting far right people that offset his losses with centrist/business Rs. The compounding thing is that trump also alienated a fuckton of other small but significant groups where any one of which could've pushed him over the line in various states.

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 08:51 on Jun 21, 2022

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
He's getting bodied by these hearings, which is good for 2024, but it's anyone's guess if it'll be enough. Most of the Conservative talk I'm seeing is pushing DeSantis over Trump but DeSantis is unproven on the national stage whereas Trump's popularity isn't.

The polls were off by 3.9% points in 2020, the highest in 40 years, all because Trump embarrassed Conservatives so much they didn't want to be polled and admit to supporting him. But apparently they didn't take that shame as an indicator that perhaps they should reconsider their candidate of choice, they went right on ahead and voted for him anyway. He definitely aliented some moderates but lord does his base love his PT Barnum shtick, and I'm not so sure if DeSantis will really be able to recreate it nationally or what kind of shape Biden and the Dems will be in when we have to face it in 2024.

-Blackadder- fucked around with this message at 09:04 on Jun 21, 2022

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Today's agenda

https://apnews.com/article/2022-midterm-elections-capitol-siege-biden-donald-trump-presidential-70b3fad9f2b3d990c2e097c3d1143f1a

1/6 panel to hear from Raffensperger, others Trump pushed

WASHINGTON (AP) — The House 1/6 committee is set to hear from the caretakers of American democracy — elections workers and local officials — who fended off Donald Trump’s pressure to overturn the 2020 presidential election, at times despite frightening personal attacks.

Embattled Georgia Secretary of State Brad Raffensperger is scheduled to testify about Trump’s phone call asking him to “find 11,780” votes that could flip the state to prevent Biden’s election victory.

Raffensperger, with his deputy Gabe Sterling and Arizona’s Republican state House Speaker Rusty Bowers, are scheduled to be key witnesses, along with Wandrea “Shay” Moss, a former Georgia election worker who, with her mother, have said they faced such severe public harassment from Trump allies they felt unable to live normal lives.

Schiff, who will lead much of Tuesday’s session, said that the hearing will also dig into the “intimate role” the White House chief of staff, Mark Meadows, had in the plot to pressure Georgia state legislators and elections officials.

Bowers is expected to discuss the pressure he faced to overturn Arizona’s results — requests from Trump advisers that the Republican state leader on Monday called “juvenile.”

In an interview with the AP after arriving in Washington ahead of the hearing, Bowers said he is expected to be asked about a call with Trump during which lawyer Rudy Giuliani floated an idea to replace Arizona’s electors with those who would vote for Trump.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Is there a reason they're not calling Trump himself?

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Automata 10 Pack posted:

He didn't bleed off Republican support. He galvanized a historic number of democrats and independents to come out and vote against him.

A lot of Republicans split their ballots in the states that mattered.

In 2020 the GOP pretty easily won the statewide popular vote for state house races below Trump in both Wisconsin and Pennsylvania. (WI state assembly 54-45 GOP, PA state house 53-47 GOP)

edit: Also Arizona, where the GOP won the state house popular vote 55-45. This was a bit less of a thing in MI with the state house basically tied and Biden winning by 3, but still there.

Trump massively underperformed in 2020 with a LOT of Republicans in the most crucial states going "gently caress that guy, but I'll still vote R for every other race below him". A standard Republican would have beaten Biden with the turnout we had.

Obviously though, a standard Republican might not have turned out as many of the new deplorable voters who never voted before Trump. Maybe Biden would have still beaten a standard Republican if the MAGA idiots would have been bored with the race and stayed home which is definitely possible and unknowable.

Rigel fucked around with this message at 12:52 on Jun 21, 2022

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

I mean yeah, the chuds are never gonna believe it but the chuds would cheer if trump crushed a white babies skull on stage.

Rigel posted:

A lot of Republicans split their ballots in the states that mattered.

In 2020 the GOP pretty easily won the statewide popular vote for state house races below Trump in both Wisconsin and Pennsylvania. (WI state assembly 54-45 GOP, PA state house 53-47 GOP)

edit: Also Arizona, where the GOP won the state house popular vote 55-45. This was a bit less of a thing in MI with the state house basically tied and Biden winning by 3, but still there.

Trump massively underperformed in 2020 with a LOT of Republicans in the most crucial states going "gently caress that guy, but I'll still vote R for every other race below him". A standard Republican would have beaten Biden with the turnout we had.

Obviously though, a standard Republican might not have turned out as many of the new deplorable voters who never voted before Trump. Maybe Biden would have still beaten a standard Republican if the MAGA idiots would have been bored with the race and stayed home which is definitely possible and unknowable.

It’s this. There are a lot of moderatish republicans and fence types who are fine with with the gop or want a Romney or etc but hate trump for various reasons both good or petty. My view is a “quiet moderate” would win easy now a days but they would never win the primary. Trump/hardline chud will have a harder time, especially after a 2023 chud house circus gets 24/7 coverage of various horror shows.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Jun 21, 2022

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

-Blackadder- posted:

He's getting bodied by these hearings, which is good for 2024, but it's anyone's guess if it'll be enough. Most of the Conservative talk I'm seeing is pushing DeSantis over Trump but DeSantis is unproven on the national stage whereas Trump's popularity isn't.

The polls were off by 3.9% points in 2020, the highest in 40 years, all because Trump embarrassed Conservatives so much they didn't want to be polled and admit to supporting him. But apparently they didn't take that shame as an indicator that perhaps they should reconsider their candidate of choice, they went right on ahead and voted for him anyway. He definitely aliented some moderates but lord does his base love his PT Barnum shtick, and I'm not so sure if DeSantis will really be able to recreate it nationally or what kind of shape Biden and the Dems will be in when we have to face it in 2024.

I don’t think desantis has the charisma or the ability to play “moderate” to get the Fence types and moderates back to the gop voting side. He is just dickhead Florida man with a lot of skeletons in his closet and basically just hides in his safe space to avoid the press. And I don’t think he has what it takes to come at the king and not miss. Trump doesn’t do that, he always attacks. And the chuds love that, he is their god in their cosmology, desantis is maybe a well liked prince.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Xander77 posted:

Is there a reason they're not calling Trump himself?

My guess is, it's not worth the trouble. If they had tried to call Trump, he would have tried to tie the whole thing up in court for a while, and if he had to testify regardless, every answer would have been a pity filled rant about how the election was stolen from him. Meanwhile, they could have gotten much of the same testimony about the events of that day from more cooperative witnesses.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

https://mobile.twitter.com/ThePlumLineGS/status/1539230851711500289 Lol we have poo poo on tape

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

:lol:

Wait, isn't this the Proud Boy/ Oathkeeper documentarian? Why would he have footage of Trump talking unless Trump was directly in contact with Proud Boys or Oathkeepers?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

TulliusCicero posted:

Wait, isn't this the Proud Boy/ Oathkeeper documentarian? Why would he have footage of Trump talking unless Trump was directly in contact with Proud Boys or Oathkeepers?

no this is the rodger stone film that Rodger wanted.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

TulliusCicero posted:

Because Trump was in contact with OK, through Roger Stone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

mycrimes.mov?