Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Power Windows
Dec 29, 2004

Brasky used to ride upon a steed, perchance to spy a lady.

Joey McChrist posted:

for the record i want to say i'm very glad to see you posting here again MJeff

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Brut posted:

If you mean disclosing an identity, that is 100% not going to happen. If you mean stopping the person purchasing from doing more of it, that is very likely not going to happen either unless they start issuing chargebacks, otherwise abuse the system somehow or something along those lines.

That being said I don't think we're under any obligation to keep a lovely undeserved avatar around any longer than it takes for the receiver to see it, so I'm not planning on letting that poo poo hang around forever either. Hopefully this doesn't become a trend.

The sixer was by the IK who got their temporary powers because of a contest that STONE COLD 64 ran recently, friendly fire, what can I say.

Look the only way to prove what you're trying to say is to make a new EPA RSF or forum and it sounds like that's the opposite of what you want, so maybe it's worth reconsidering what it is you're trying to do with these last few posts here.

lol

I'm glad to see some of you have worked out your differences/misunderstandings in the last couple pages, I must admit it is difficult to keep track of what still hangs in the air.

I'm gonna be up front here, I'm waiting to hear from Junpei and/or Karmic about this either privately or publicly before I go kramering in to your wrestling thread(s), I don't know most of you and it is difficult to decipher all the dynamics and relationships from outside.

Meanwhile, please be more mindful with keeping posts in this thread on-topic, this discussion is important and I want to minimize artificial barriers to parsing it. I'm not gonna be probing posts from the last few pages (though someone else still might :shrug:), but below this post is very thin ice.

Just so you’re aware Karmic and ESPECIALLY Junpei are more or less absentee mods. They have no strong interest in being a part of the community, and it takes heavy prodding to get either to do anything.

Lethrom
Jul 12, 2010

Yea ok is the scariest poster because their avatar is of Broly, the most powerful of all anime. Everyone in their right mind should be scared of posting in front of a power level like that.

On a more on-topic note. The more lovely aspects of the AEW thread come out when people start posting about other posters, posting about the state of the AEW thread, or trying to deep six a conversation in progress. The examples that most stick out to me tend to revolve around someone mentioning that a talent is a piece of poo poo (for politics, being a sex pest, whatever), others will show up and metapost to complain about other people complaining about chuds or some poo poo.

Seems like most of the problems being talked about in here could be solved with a general "Don't talk about the aew thread in the aew thread" guideline. The thread should be for talking about aew wrestling, aew wrestlers, and tony khan's crippling cocaine and posting addiction.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

NienNunb posted:

it takes heavy prodding to get either to do anything.

Or posting a gif as a tweet

collocation
Jun 17, 2018

Eat My Fuc posted:

You’re right it’s not nice but it’s also said half heartedly to people who actually seething over Cody, a good guy who does good things and has a lot of dedicated fans like myself. They should act less unhinged about Cody Rhodes existing, which they have lately, and I appreciate it.

I hear you. I enjoy most of your posts, and you're one of the few people who I automatically read when I see their avatar. I've never been very into Cody, but it's good to have different viewpoints.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Are they? I thought Karmic was just doing that thing mods do where they suddenly stop posting because they want to look impartial and feel like they need to act weird now

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Brut posted:

Look the only way to prove what you're trying to say is to make a new EPA RSF or forum and it sounds like that's the opposite of what you want, so maybe it's worth reconsidering what it is you're trying to do with these last few posts here.

I was mostly trying to refute the idea that the sub-forum would be improved by being more like EPA, which is what the original post I replied to was arguing.

If you wanted to revive the EPA, I imagine that there would be posters who'd really like that (I wouldn't but mostly I'm sanguine because it's been proven not to be particularly successful).

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

STAC Goat posted:

Yeah, rationally Lid is just the one who still feels the forums are worth posting in and fighting for. Others are explicitly saying they don't.

Sorry to everyone I had to catch up on all this and still reading the previous well 200 posts.

This right here is why I willingly did something others in the replies labelled a massive whiny embarrassment of showing my own rear end. Because finally we are having this conversation.

Good posters, so many, just don't post because it's not worth it and have shown up in this thread with thoughtful explanations of why and why it wasn't worth it.

I want this place to be bigger and better and I love wrestling and AEW. If it meant being labelled for doing it whatever, we're finally having an actual dialogue rather than pretending there isn't a problem.

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

collocation posted:

I hear you. I enjoy most of your posts, and you're one of the few people who I automatically read when I see their avatar. I've never been very into Cody, but it's good to have different viewpoints.

I’m going to try and be kinder myself. Thanks for the reminder, you’re cool in my book.

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Gumball Gumption posted:

Are they? I thought Karmic was just doing that thing mods do where they suddenly stop posting because they want to look impartial and feel like they need to act weird now

We’re coming up on 24 hours since the forum broke out into civil war with neither sight nor sound of them.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

NienNunb posted:

We’re coming up on 24 hours since the forum broke out into civil war with neither sight nor sound of them.

Yeah but if we've figured out anything the problem here is being far too invested in the seriousness of a wrestling forum

This will amount to a couple probs and the main characters thinking it's another peg in the conspiracy.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Lid posted:

Sorry to everyone I had to catch up on all this and still reading the previous well 200 posts.

This right here is why I willingly did something others in the replies labelled a massive whiny embarrassment of showing my own rear end. Because finally we are having this conversation.

Good posters, so many, just don't post because it's not worth it and have shown up in this thread with thoughtful explanations of why and why it wasn't worth it.

I want this place to be bigger and better and I love wrestling and AEW. If it meant being labelled for doing it whatever, we're finally having an actual dialogue rather than pretending there isn't a problem.

You accused a bunch of people who I don't think ever actually talk to each other of being a clique who people have to walk on eggshells around for fear of reprisal. I never talk to yea ok outside of PSP, haven't talked to Stone Cold 64 in over a decade and my interactions with Nien Numb are we are in the same group DM where after every Dynamite I type "Good show!" into the DM and then don't post until Rampage where I repeat. You accused us of being a clique based on nothing and are now acting like you did something noble.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

Gumball Gumption posted:

Yeah but if we've figured out anything the problem here is being far too invested in the seriousness of a wrestling forum

This will amount to a couple probs and the main characters thinking it's another peg in the conspiracy.

Dude it's not a conspiracy and there is no cabal, the point if it was to show the behaviour that happens and keeps happening of means pirated shitposting. The problem, as others here said, is that it's a culture across multiple people not like some leadership bad eggs.

Reading these replies there have been a lot of strawmanning to wave away what was actually said and the issues presented, because it's easy to dunk on a straw man. Which is the problem.

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

MassRafTer posted:

You accused a bunch of people who I don't think ever actually talk to each other of being a clique who people have to walk on eggshells around for fear of reprisal. I never talk to yea ok outside of PSP, haven't talked to Stone Cold 64 in over a decade and my interactions with Nien Numb are we are in the same group DM where after every Dynamite I type "Good show!" into the DM and then don't post until Rampage where I repeat. You accused us of being a clique based on nothing and are now acting like you did something noble.

accused of being the kliq when you're actually the job squad smh

Cool Post Beg
Mar 6, 2008

DADDY MAGIC
I would like to see *more* AEW threads. MRT's established a great weekly news and views thread but if someone wants to take a deeper dive on a topic or thought, go for it imo

I remember making a brawl for all thread just cuz one day, wasnt the first time we chatted about it and wont be the last I hope, but we got a couple fun pages talking about Brakkus throwing hands.

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

MassRafTer posted:

And here I was considering you a friend :(

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

MassRafTer posted:

As others in this thread have said and prefer it's closer to a clubhouse and there have been numerous posts in the last 200 saying clubhouse. Yeah I said clique, the wrong term, but when the replies aren't on the substance but on "you used the word clique incorrectly and I can disprove it" it doesn't feel you actually care about what was saud but more on what was technically wrong on a dictionary level.

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

Funny Little Guy Aficionado.
I think MRT is upset because the initial assertion felt like 'these assholes are conspiring to stink it up!' because of the clique framing, which obviously feels like a bit of a personal attack and, yanno, is something that's going to get someone defensive, not because of quibbles with exact terms or whatever- the term being used meant something on the emotional level.

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

Lid posted:

Dude it's not a conspiracy and there is no cabal, the point if it was to show the behaviour that happens and keeps happening of means pirated shitposting. The problem, as others here said, is that it's a culture across multiple people not like some leadership bad eggs.

Reading these replies there have been a lot of strawmanning to wave away what was actually said and the issues presented, because it's easy to dunk on a straw man. Which is the problem.

From my perspective the culture you dislike is the people trying to keep things fun and not serious and the culture you want is the one where people
get mad as hell when people don’t tow a specific line at all times.

Why the WWE threads get so toxic is because people shout down anyone being funny or not severely negative or doing “jokes” where they say horrible poo poo as McMahon etc. It’s the opposite side of the AEW thread coin where people are so defensive there any light hearted riffing is seen as toxic.

I don’t know my friend, i’m reading everything you’re saying and not sure what you want and who these mystery posters who are afraid of other posters are. All love, just want to understand.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

STAC Goat posted:

Yeah, rationally Lid is just the one who still feels the forums are worth posting in and fighting for. Others are explicitly saying they don't.

Lid posted:

Speaking of hero vs. villain framing. Jesus Christ.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

NienNunb posted:

And here I was considering you a friend :(

I think you are cool!

Lid posted:

As others in this thread have said and prefer it's closer to a clubhouse and there have been numerous posts in the last 200 saying clubhouse. Yeah I said clique, the wrong term, but when the replies aren't on the substance but on "you used the word clique incorrectly and I can disprove it" it doesn't feel you actually care about what was saud but more on what was technically wrong on a dictionary level.

When you claim a bunch of people are acting a certain way, they don't talk to each other much and you are the person who posts the most in the threads you are claiming this activity happens in, you might be projecting a little bit. You brought up a bunch of disconnected people who don't share a posting style or whatever. If people think I'm a jerk, fine. I can understand that, but accusing a bunch of other people, especially yea ok who doesn't do anything close to what you are accusing people of is just wrong.

collocation
Jun 17, 2018

I think when you see the same people go after multiple people, it's easy to see it as a clique, even if that's not the proper definition, and even if it just means that they have similar sensibilities and dislike similar things. It doesn't really matter if people are friends or talk off the forum. The posts are what they are, whether good or bad.

I don't read every post, but I haven't seen MRT involved in that type of situation.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

Eat My Fuc posted:

From my perspective the culture you dislike is the people trying to keep things fun and not serious and the culture you want is the one where people
get mad as hell when people don’t tow a specific line at all times.

Why the WWE threads get so toxic is because people shout down anyone being funny or not severely negative or doing “jokes” where they say horrible poo poo as McMahon etc. It’s the opposite side of the AEW thread coin where people are so defensive there any light hearted riffing is seen as toxic.

I don’t know my friend, i’m reading everything you’re saying and not sure what you want and who these mystery posters who are afraid of other posters are. All love, just want to understand.

I want jokes and Taz youtube videos that are awesome, and zingy one liners, but not dismissiveness mean spirited toxicity. You can have mutual respect and still Josh each other, but there's a gently caress tonne of no respect in the joking. It's a lot of punching down and not caring about the other person you're talking to.

RobbZombae posted:

After I watched a few of my first Dynamites last year I posted in an AEW thread about what I liked and didn't like, mentioning I'm in the UK and not enjoying seemingly random stacks of multi-man tag matches.

The replies were something like "try watching the show, lmao" and "UK people are nutters".

I didn't feel bullied, but the vibes were weird af.

I post now and again in AEW threads (I'm not a very prolific poster anyways) but just want to say I totally understand why some posters would feel the need to bring up the atmosphere/cliques in those threads and I concur. In the past I've deleted a couple of posts and points I'd liked to have discussed on AEW before posting them because I knew the replies wouldn't be conducive to a conversation but just more defensive sniping and snideness. Clubhouse is the exact word to describe it.

In this thread you see a few posters mocking an original good faith post with their friends - they may think it's just a joke with their friend, but the person who made the OP probably doesn't think so, and it's a bad habit you see across the AEW threads. Talking around someone. Also, expressing this idea that posting any perceived negatives about AEW is "a bad opinion" and running people with those opinions off is great, actually (which has been posted a couple of times ITT) is weird whether it's an in-joke or not.

This is a very good summary of a lot of users average experience.

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

I can only speak for myself, but I'm upset because I was explicitly called out, by name, with all of my intentions laid bare by someone who has never had a conversation with me. Then in private, told what a menace I am. I'm thankful for everyone that has posted, who weren't named in the List (because they would obviously only want to dogpile, right?) that said kind things to assuage my fears. I try very hard to not stick my Broly nose where it doesn't belong, and I really can't help if people think I'm an annoying piece of poo poo or whatever, but to be called out as the almighty Intimidator(?) + Sardonic FYAD guy(?) + mean-spirited(?) really hosed with me lol

GenghisTron
Dec 5, 2005

i dont live to live homie

yea ok posted:

I can only speak for myself, but I'm upset because I was explicitly called out, by name, with all of my intentions laid bare by someone who has never had a conversation with me. Then in private, told what a menace I am. I'm thankful for everyone that has posted, who weren't named in the List (because they would obviously only want to dogpile, right?) that said kind things to assuage my fears. I try very hard to not stick my Broly nose where it doesn't belong, and I really can't help if people think I'm an annoying piece of poo poo or whatever, but to be called out as the almighty Intimidator(?) + Sardonic FYAD guy(?) + mean-spirited(?) really hosed with me lol

I'm barely a poster in these threads, a lurker by choice, but I feel like your inclusion was more of a weird personal thing by the OP than anything you might have done. I've always found your posts to be light-hearted and often positive.

I don't know, it sucks to be named like that, so hopefully hearing this from someone outside of this conflict will help.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Lid posted:

You once made up Max Caster raps to get mad at and then shame others about. I would take this all a lot more seriously if everyone who's mad about the toxic atmosphere and not being taken in good faith also didn't have a long history of making things up, flipping out on people, wishing wrestlers would kill themselves, accusing people of being racist with no evidence, and a general crusader attitude.

If you don't regularly post like that and think things are toxic because you posted "Impact was better when it was TNA" or something and were told to go kill yourself you probably have a good argument. Those posters should use this thread to bring that up.

Gumball Gumption fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Jun 21, 2022

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

1glitch0 posted:

I may not entirely agree with Lid on the details of the enemies list but I thank him for saying what needed to be said! I don't want to see it anymore!

1glitch0 posted:

I think it says it all that the usual suspects immediately want to take it the feedback thread and brigade in there.

My Lovely Horse posted:

I think it says even more that the framing is "there was a manifesto calling people out", completely glossing over the many, many points Lid made that were not tied to any one poster in particular.

LividLiquid posted:

This is the post I wish I could write. It absolutely nails it.

I'm sorry, forum, but if you chase off some of the most upbeat and positive fuckers on the planet about pro wrestling (not talking about myself here), you're prioritizing the wrong people's comfort.

When you make things comfortable for bullies, you do that at the expense of literally everybody else and you create an incentive structure for exactly the wrong things.

And it's incredibly telling that a lot of people's argument boils down to "toughen up," because frankly, I just want to talk about pro wrestling. I don't want to have to be tough to do that. I don't want to put all my defenses up because around six sad weirdos need to dunk on everybody to feel good about themselves.

The environment this creates sucks. It's never going to be a chill, peaceful one unless something changes. When you're literally afraid whenever you post something, you shore up your defenses and then your defensiveness can feed into somebody else's, and you get into a mutual trauma feedback loop. When the shittiest, meanest people are given priority, the rest of us will start eating each other too. gently caress knows I've let my panic, anger, and resentment get the best of me and lashed out at people who didn't deserve it and I can't possibly be alone.

It doesn't feel safe here, and when people don't feel safe, even the otherwise personable and reasonable will eventually succumb.

And gently caress whoever keeps telling me to stop bringing up my personal poo poo. I don't stop being queer or autistic or traumatized just because it's more convenient for you not to hear about it when you're being a dick and if that poo poo comes up, I'm going to talk about it. And it comes up a lot when people are employing abuse tactics.

Quoting from the main as they go here now and are relevant people and relevant points.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Gumball Gumption posted:

You once made up Max Caster raps to get mad at and then shame others about. I would take this all a lot more seriously if everyone who's mad about the toxic atmosphere and not being taken in good faith also didn't have a long history of making things up, flipping out on people, wishing wrestlers would kill themselves, accusing people of being racist with no evidence, and a general crusader attitude.

Or haranguing a dude for a literal year and a half all over the subforum because he thought a run-in angle stunk!!!!!!!!

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

Gumball Gumption posted:

If you don't regularly post like that and think things are toxic because you posted "Impact was better when it was TNA" or something and were told to go kill yourself you probably have a good argument. Those posters should use this thread to bring that up.

How about just taking it seriously without qualifiers and look at people who aren't me? Like re-read what people have said on the other side and not look for an ulterior motive or a belief they are a crusader. Just read them posting as if they are people.

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Lid posted:

Quoting from the main as they go here now and are relevant people and relevant points.

What do you want from this? For your enemy list to be banned? For us to apologize?

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

1glitch0 posted:

I think it says it all that the usual suspects immediately want to take it the feedback thread and brigade in there.

Shocking that people called out in a post would wish to discuss this in the thread designed for doing things like that. The plot thickens!

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

Just really feels like whatever "dialogue" or discussion isn't actually what's wanted. Thank you for the relevant points that are about how smart you are and how we aren't taking you seriously. I guess none of our thoughts were relevant. Maybe if you looked at us as posters, instead of people with ulterior motives. That only seems to need to go one way, though.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
Draw and quarter the conspirators that poo poo post in the wrestling forum

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Lid posted:

How about just taking it seriously without qualifiers and look at people who aren't me? Like re-read what people have said on the other side and not look for an ulterior motive or a belief they are a crusader. Just read them posting as if they are people.

So we should all take what you have to say a hundred percent seriously and not question your motives, but you don’t have to give that same benefit to anyone else.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I find this all interesting because there are people arguing with each other who I would absolutely have just grouped together if you asked me to say "who are the people who create and enforce the tenants of the subculture that is the group of regular posts in Wrestlehut." I think this is a good opportunity for people to assess how they post at other people here and realize the times when they might be doing the cultural enforcement.

yea ok posted:

I like you.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
USE THE IGNORE BUTTON :justpost:

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

NienNunb posted:

What do you want from this? For your enemy list to be banned? For us to apologize?

I want the culture to change. I want people to feel their niche interest with a bunch if weirdo niche people can be discussed and not be exclusionary. I don't want any of you banned and not an enemies list, I want there to be mutual respect between people and that it not feel like punching down.

Bad opinions get dunked on and it's good, every Cornette stan that shows up gets mocked to death and it is always great because they are openly endorsing sexism, racism and outright bigotry. This would be ideal, but this behaviour happens every week in the AEW thread to people not with offensive opinions but just having an opinion. We don't need to tar and feather everyone who doesn't know the BTE lore, this is hyperbole so don't go looking for the literal example and be "that's not what happened".

Respect each other. Mutual respect and shared love of our dumb fake sport. If someone posts earnestly reply earnestly.

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug
I reported every gif posted as a tweet

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Lid posted:

Fooch is the only dude who has a legitimate beef and a lot of that is old resentment towards a crew who are primarily gone and I think if he posted more people would be more welcoming. Though we got to stop razzing him about Mox.

I don't really get Glitch's problem with AEW posting but if they describe the posts they like to see they can probably figure out middle ground.

I still think the majority of all of this is made up in people's heads because the internet makes it easy to imagine everyone on the other side is laughing at you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

Rick posted:

I find this all interesting because there are people arguing with each other who I would absolutely have just grouped together if you asked me to say "who are the people who create and enforce the tenants of the subculture that is the group of regular posts in Wrestlehut." I think this is a good opportunity for people to assess how they post at other people here and realize the times when they might be doing the cultural enforcement.

I like you.

This might not be directed at me but thank you for saying this because you've hit the nail - this is a chance to assess the cultural enforcement, including me. I have been called out for being a dick to MJeff and MJeff is loving right, I was out of line dunking on him not letting something go. In that I was part of the problem and directly contributed to a good poster stopping by using the very behaviours I'm now railing against.

I'm trying to be better than I was too.

Again I am so sorry MJeff and those feelings I gave you are the same ones I recognise as needing to stop. I might be a hypocrite for being the one now saying it but I'm trying to not be that person anymore. I respect you immensely.