Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Insurrectum
Nov 1, 2005

Motronic posted:

What are you looking for? The total power usage or total usage plus discrete power usage per breaker or just a few breakers?

There are a bunch of ways to go here depending on what you really need/want. I have a Sense (TM) and it's just fine at reporting total usage but pretty poo poo as "machine learning" each device in my house to report on them individually.

The latter: total + power usage per breaker. Preferably with no machine learning gimmicks—simple power usage is all I'm interested in. Mostly looking to learn what's driving our electrical costs, which I can figure out at the breaker level.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Insurrectum posted:

The latter: total + power usage per breaker. Preferably with no machine learning gimmicks—simple power usage is all I'm interested in. Mostly looking to learn what's driving our electrical costs, which I can figure out at the breaker level.

This is by far the most expensive way to go. How many breakers are you looking at monitoring?

This is common stuff for my professional life (data center stuff, where you are being billed for your power) but exceptionally expensive for home gamer exploratory purposes.

There are other ways to do this other than AI/ML junk, but then you're getting into replacing entire panels with "smart" breakers that don't have much of a track records yet.

I'm going to urge you to find a different way to do what you want to do. I get that this sounds like that most reasonable way: it's all right there, centralized: just monitor it. But it's not that simple, it's not cheap enough to make the kind of difference it should make for doing it.

What are you really trying to do here that can't be done with a kill-a-watt getting moved around for a few weeks and a bit of manual calculation along with checking your power bills or a total energy usage monitor of some type or another?

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Motronic posted:

What are you looking for? The total power usage or total usage plus discrete power usage per breaker or just a few breakers?

There are a bunch of ways to go here depending on what you really need/want. I have a Sense (TM) and it's just fine at reporting total usage but pretty poo poo as "machine learning" each device in my house to report on them individually.

I use the emporia. I really like their hardware and it was quite affordable to get the extension kit to let me monitor each individual breaker. The app could use improvement, but it serves me pretty well.

e: took another look and yeah, the base is just $85 and the most expensive version of the kit is only $160, which lets you individually monitor up to 16 breakers.

There are cheaper ways to find the energy costs in your house (a $25 kill-a-watt meter will let you individually monitor anything) but I certainly appreciate and like the breaker approach myself.

El Mero Mero fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Jun 20, 2022

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Insurrectum posted:

So this is the super boring way I've done it: I go look at that instantaneous draw on my smart meter at various times and with various appliances going. How precise are you looking to get? Generally most households that don't have oddball high load devices are going to have 2-3 appliances that make up most of their bill: AC, Washer, Dryer, Dishwasher. If you use electric heating add on your water heater (even heat pump), stove, oven, central heat (even heat pump.) Oddball things get into like big dumb gaming rigs, buttcoin stuff, your weird hobby, you get the idea. If you have a very old fridge, add that on there too.

For example I learned a couple of things: My house idles around 350-500watts. This means that is my absolute minimum bill in a month. 360 kwh easy math (500 watts / 1000 per kilowatt) * 24 hrs * 30 days. Thats stuff like your fridge, your lights, your cable box, PHANTOM LOAD FROM YOUR STANDBY BUT NOT OFF ELECTRONICS!!!!, you get the idea. When my AC system kicks on that adds around 4000 watts, so 4kwh per hr of runtime. My office AC adds around 1000 watts when it's cranking, but unless it's super hot out it's only actually "pumping" for small fractions of an hour. My washing machine seems to use somewhere between 500watts and 1500 watts depending on what it's doing and how much water it's moving around.

Don't judge me, the last two years have had a LOT of time spent supervising small kids in the back yard near the meter.

Next I just slapped a Kill-a-Watt on the rest of the small appliances. Dishwasher uses 1kwh on the nose per load. Laptop 80 watts. desktop like 200watts but that includes 2 monitors, you get the idea.

Insurrectum
Nov 1, 2005

Doesn't need to be all the breakers, but total power + a few of them would be good enough to cover our day-to-day energy usage (furnace/AC + kitchen + one or two other breakers). Only total power would be fine too, as long as the time resolution was fine enough that I could correlate power usage with individual appliances/activities. I do actually have a kill-o-watt I've used to measure individual appliances, but it would be nice to be able to see the whole house in real time as that's the metric I'm actually interested in.

El Mero Mero posted:

I use the emporia. I really like their hardware and it was quite affordable to get the extension kit to let me monitor each individual breaker. The app could use improvement, but it serves me pretty well.

e: took another look and yeah, the base is just $85 and the most expensive version of the kit is only $160, which lets you individually monitor up to 16 breakers.

There are cheaper ways to find the energy costs in your house (a $25 kill-a-watt meter will let you individually monitor anything) but I certainly appreciate and like the breaker approach myself.

I saw these on amazon but I'm always wary of anything sold in the bezosphere, so thank you for the review!

Insurrectum fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Jun 20, 2022

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Insurrectum posted:

Doesn't need to be all the breakers, but total power + a few of them would be good enough to cover our day-to-day energy usage (furnace/AC + kitchen + one or two other breakers). Only total power would be fine too, as long as the time resolution was fine enough that I could correlate power usage with individual appliances/activities. I do actually have a kill-o-watt I've used to measure individual appliances, but it would be nice to be able to see the whole house in real time as that's the metric I'm actually interested in.

So this sounds more reasonable. Even Sense has some individual breaker monitors now (I don't have any).

Let's go back to: what do you think you're going to get out of this? For real, think about it. What's the payback?

If "I can afford to blow money and this is my kink/monitoring thing" is the answer I salute you. But if you're trying to convince yourself this is a way to save money you're gonna need a better thesis than "monitoring everything is good".

I can confirm I spent $300-ish on the sense years ago and it has saved me exactly negative $300-ish.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Insurrectum posted:

Does your utility allow you to get zigbee data from your meter? Mine lets me download csv's of hourly utilization and I think it gets more granular if I turn on some data sharing something something. Honestly for your furnace assuming it's nat gas or propane, turn your ac unit to "Fan" and go check the draw, turn it to AC, check the draw, and compare it to baseline.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Motronic posted:

I can confirm I spent $300-ish on the sense years ago and it has saved me exactly negative $300-ish.

Yeah. I'd say the Emporia has maybe saved me about $30 in "the oven is still on you idiot" alerts and maybe another $20 by making me realize how much my NAS was costing us before I fixed the energy conservation settings.

The sense was too expensive of a gadget for my idle curiosity and I wouldn't have done it if I'd had to spend $300.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡
My power company gives 15 minute blocks of power usage history. It actually let me diagnose the date and time some xmas lights got run over in our yard.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay
Cat piss derail:
If you can't smell the piss, your cat can and that's why they keep doing it.

My cat peed on some dirty laundry and it got in the carpet. I used enzyme cleaner, because regular stuff may get it to the point where you can't smell it, but the cat can and they will think it is acceptable to pee there again and again.

I could still smell it so, I use like half a bottle on this little 6 inch square of carpet and let it soak with some aluminum foil tented over it so we wouldn't step in it and cats dislike foil I believe. They never peed there again.

Every time in the past where we didn't use enzyme cleaner (before I knew better) a repeat pee would occur.

For some content: BISSELL ProHeat 2X Revolution Pet Pro Plus Carpet Cleaner is the best carpet cleaner I have ever encountered and the first I've seen that doesn't require you to basically take it apart to clean it out. It cleans out easy when you are done and that is important for the longevity of the machine.

Everything is easy to access and you don't really need to access anything to clean it anyway.

It basically has a self clean cycle, you pour water in a tray and suck it up in bursts until it's clean and scrape an easy to get to filter, inspect the brushes after for any tangles.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Enzyme cleaners are mandatory. This stuff is also great for getting rid of any leftover stank:

https://www.amazon.com/odor-eliminator-for-strong-odor-pet-supplies/dp/B00OI20SXA

an iksar marauder
May 6, 2022

An iksar marauder glowers at you dubiously -- looks like quite a gamble.
Imagine the restraint of everyone not telling that goon they smell like cat piss

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

an iksar marauder posted:

Imagine the restraint of everyone not telling that goon they smell like cat piss

Social etiquette is a hell of a thing. I didn't find out for like two years after I quit smoking that all my friends were just too polite to point out that I smelled like an ashtray. I thought I was fine since I only smoked like 5 or 6 a day and always did it outside. Still enough to stink.

On the upside I found out my sparkling personality was enough of an attraction for people to hang out with me even if I smelled bad so hey, silver linings.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

House Ownership: I wash the pee pads once a week

Please mods, do the needful

Also, that's loving disgusting

Tremors
Aug 16, 2006

What happened to the legendary Chris Redfield, huh? What happened to you?!
Sitting on a couch next to a pad that smells of piss and being okay with it because it isn't time for the weekly washing is a hell of a way to live.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Yeah I can't hardly smell cat piss, but I can get in an elevator and tell ten minutes ago someone was smoking outside and used the elevator. Smoking cigarettes is loving grotesque and shouldn't be allowed in in public, in the same social faux pas grouping as masturbating in public sorry not sorry

Continuing cat piss derail, unless your cat is very old and blind or has like diabetes where they just can't control their bladder the is never an ok situation where cat piss is allowable outside the litter box

Quaint Quail Quilt posted:

For some content: BISSELL ProHeat 2X Revolution Pet Pro Plus Carpet Cleaner is the best carpet cleaner I have ever encountered and the first I've seen that doesn't require you to basically take it apart to clean it out. It cleans out easy when you are done and that is important for the longevity of the machine.

Will this pull cat vomit out of my wife's new super thick rugs? I've been enjoying our roomba on our bare hardwood floors, and just wipe/mopping it up, but that's not going to work

Shout-out to whoever recommended shark stick vacuums, I had just assumed they were a mid tier. Recently picked up the newish shark vertex cordless works awesome

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003

Hadlock posted:

Smoking cigarettes is loving grotesque and shouldn't be allowed in in public, in the same social faux pas grouping as masturbating in public sorry not sorry

just need to clarify here: weed is ok, though

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!

Tremors posted:

Sitting on a couch next to a pad that smells of piss and being okay with it because it isn't time for the weekly washing is a hell of a way to live.

Careful, don't forget that the couch itself is also soaked with cat piss

DELETE CASCADE posted:

Also nicotine vape pens, if you can find a mainstream brand that probably isn't poisoning its customers.. I tried one in earnest this past weekend when I was out with friends, and drat if it doesn't feel good socially. Addictiveness is going to heavily vary person to person though, I am Blessed that I can put it down easily.

Inner Light fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Jun 20, 2022

Tricky Ed
Aug 18, 2010

It is important to avoid confusion. This is the one that's okay to lick.

Your house smells like weed smoke and the place you store your gear is extremely obvious as well, by the way.

Source: I live in southern California.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay

Hadlock posted:

Will this pull cat vomit out of my wife's new super thick rugs? I've been enjoying our roomba on our bare hardwood floors, and just wipe/mopping it up, but that's not going to work

Shout-out to whoever recommended shark stick vacuums, I had just assumed they were a mid tier. Recently picked up the newish shark vertex cordless works awesome
I'm not sure about thick rugs, I just have carpet, but the wand attachments ought to do it.
I'd consider going with soaking or maybe the gentlest pressure wash setting for something like that, or the guys that come to your house for rugs or Stanley steamer people's.
Maybe though, it works on cat vomit carpet.

I have the shark steam mop and it works good.

I started to go down the general purpose steamer research and most of what I found is that unless you are getting a commercial unit for $700-1000 it will probably break in less than a year and they are all rebranded Chinese crapware.

My wife brought me back to earth and I didn't get one, if I did I'd consider starting my own car detailing service because I have a lot of that equipment now and that would come in handy maybe.

an iksar marauder
May 6, 2022

An iksar marauder glowers at you dubiously -- looks like quite a gamble.
It's not called skunk because it's breezy fresh

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003

Tricky Ed posted:

Your house smells like weed smoke

i smoke the weed outside

Tricky Ed posted:

and the place you store your gear is extremely obvious as well, by the way.

well i'd hope so, the bong is just sitting right there on the table

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

I just moved to southern California and I did not anticipate how much more pleasant even the dankest cloud of cannabis smoke is than a tiny whiff of cigarettes on someone's clothes from 10 feet away. I have a somewhat abnormal sense of smell though.

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

Leak situation fixed in two ways:

1. Unclogged downspout (that I was repeatedly told cannot clog) and installed screens to prevent the clog from happening again.

2. Repointing and window sealing done, tested by spraying the gently caress out of everything with a hose for a long time, no water came in.

Now to deal with the damage... although its not bad, at all.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Tricky Ed posted:

Your house smells like weed smoke and the place you store your gear is extremely obvious as well, by the way.

Source: I live in southern California.

i'm taking a :catdrugs: break and i can now smell my single pipe from across the room when i walk down into my basement, lol. funny how you can acclimate to those smells. it literally was just a sudden thing when i started smelling it again too, like huh, i shouldn't just keep this right next to my dining room table anymore!

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
I had a dream the other night that I noticed a small drip coming from my ceiling, as I investigated it, it dripped more and got worse by the second until the ceiling caved in and water came gushing in. It literally woke me up out of a dead sleep and I wandered into the living room to double check. Home ownership: you can't escape it even in your sleep.

On the good side of things, the sod I put in last week is still looking great. I've been watering it three times a day and I put more seed on top just to ensure the seams are going to be blended well. I still can't believe the difference. Only thing that sucks is I got tendonitis on the back of my hand. All the videos I watched about laying sod really stressed the importance of marrying the edges tightly. Most of the guys were pulling the grass together by squeezing tightly with their hands. I think the repeated motion of this destroyed my grip strength in my left hand. Its swollen and when I open my fingers I can feel the tendons move like a tight rubber band. My wife could even feel it.

We also just went and picked out exterior paint colors at sherwin williams. I think we're going dark, like almost black with slightly darker trim. Its a mid century ranch so we're trying to find colors that work with the nature of the house. We have exposed wood beams and wood car decking eaves so I like the idea of dark paint and stained wood. We also like the mid century red/orange door so we might look at that option. Next year we'll put in a new cedar fence so we want something that works well with wood tones.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Insurrectum posted:

Similarly, any recommendations for remote water supply interrupts? I have water sensors throughout the house, but would like the ability to remotely shut off the main. Don't need any "smart" features that try to do it for me, I just want the remote access to a valve.

Would be interested in this as well. I've heard very good things about the Moen Flo but I haven't seen it in stock anywhere at all. Most of what I've seen otherwise are fittings that sit on ball valve handles, and I have no idea how reliable those are.

Verman posted:

I had a dream the other night that I noticed a small drip coming from my ceiling, as I investigated it, it dripped more and got worse by the second until the ceiling caved in and water came gushing in. It literally woke me up out of a dead sleep and I wandered into the living room to double check. Home ownership: you can't escape it even in your sleep.

I've had this dream at least 3 times since I moved in 2 months ago

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
toxoplasma gondii is posting in this thread! :catdrugs:

My Ruud 50G Heat Pump water heater has been installed in my garage and it's pretty cool so far. Happy to ditch natural gas. The unit heated up in an hour or two. Best part was my city gives a $3,000 credit so it was only $700 out of pocket which included permit and some plumbing charges. The EcoNet app is actually working on my iPhone too.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Cross posted from a few different threads, but I finished my modular work bench idea. Now I need to clean my garage and configure new homes for things so that I can put it in place. Its only a single stall garage so I don't have a ton of room but its long so the mobility is a huge benefit. I'm going to buy some hard board and enclose them on three sides to help keep whatever is being stored inside, clean. I think I'm also going to build a shelf in one or two of them.

Its way sturdier than I thought it would be, and I love the idea of being able to move them around depending on what I'm doing that day. They've got holes spaced 12" apart around all sides and front so you can join them with large bolts to create one big bench in all kinds of positions. I'll also need to mount my vise.

This is the bench I made.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MovF5vjmOQg

Anza Borrego
Feb 11, 2005

Ovis canadensis nelsoni

Verman posted:

We also just went and picked out exterior paint colors at sherwin williams. I think we're going dark, like almost black with slightly darker trim.

Not sure what climate zone you are in but a black paint job on your house is going to gently caress with thermal gain, ie it’s going make your house hotter

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

Anza Borrego posted:

Not sure what climate zone you are in but a black paint job on your house is going to gently caress with thermal gain, ie it’s going make your house hotter

We're in the pacific northwest (seattle) so I'm not too worried about it. Our house is pretty shaded, we live near a creek, and we have a light colored EPDM membrane roof which does the majority of keeping the house cool from direct sun. Our house is currently a pretty dark rusty red/brown color now so it wouldn't be much of a change.

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

Finally, a space approaching completion, our entryway:

This is where we had a custom radiator cover built, painted the walls, and just hung art.

Anza Borrego
Feb 11, 2005

Ovis canadensis nelsoni

Verman posted:

We're in the pacific northwest (seattle) so I'm not too worried about it. Our house is pretty shaded, we live near a creek, and we have a light colored EPDM membrane roof which does the majority of keeping the house cool from direct sun. Our house is currently a pretty dark rusty red/brown color now so it wouldn't be much of a change.

Great, sounds like you are all over it.
I’m jealous tbh, I love the look but lol at doing that in SoCal.

Anza Borrego
Feb 11, 2005

Ovis canadensis nelsoni

Upgrade posted:

Finally, a space approaching completion, our entryway:

This is where we had a custom radiator cover built, painted the walls, and just hung art.

Very fitting user name!
Looks great. Is the jog between the wall and the hallway as pronounced as the photo makes it appear?

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

Anza Borrego posted:

Very fitting user name!
Looks great. Is the jog between the wall and the hallway as pronounced as the photo makes it appear?

In real life there’s a sloping wall that makes the transition under the arch across a six foot or so span, perspective is tricky

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Verman posted:

Cross posted from a few different threads, but I finished my modular work bench idea. Now I need to clean my garage and configure new homes for things so that I can put it in place. Its only a single stall garage so I don't have a ton of room but its long so the mobility is a huge benefit. I'm going to buy some hard board and enclose them on three sides to help keep whatever is being stored inside, clean. I think I'm also going to build a shelf in one or two of them.

Its way sturdier than I thought it would be, and I love the idea of being able to move them around depending on what I'm doing that day. They've got holes spaced 12" apart around all sides and front so you can join them with large bolts to create one big bench in all kinds of positions. I'll also need to mount my vise.

This is the bench I made.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MovF5vjmOQg
Feels good, don’t it?

NICE

gp2k
Apr 22, 2008
OK so my house is hot during the day even though it is kinda nice outside. Any advice on how to keep the inside closer to the outside??

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Anza Borrego
Feb 11, 2005

Ovis canadensis nelsoni
Gonna recommend opening some windows, maybe a door :shrug:

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
Turn off your oven.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

open your southern facing windows

the vornado 600 fan (and no model smaller than that, thanks) is great for a room where you can't get adequate ventilaiton, but a regular fan works too

DELETE CASCADE posted:

Yeah weed is fine :2bong::hf::420:

I can smell a guy smoking it on the street from two blocks away, but it's not nauseating like tobacco smoke is, and doesn't perma-soak your clothes in ash smell

I think it's because they "cure"/ferment tobacco first, like smoking a bottle of A1 steak sauce :barf: