Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

small butter
Oct 8, 2011

Salt Fish posted:

They literally see your short and then spike the market for a split second right at the opportune moment. Maybe not for a small short but for anything large and organized I would guess that you'd be the mark playing 3 card monte essentially.

Even with an ETF? I wouldn't be directly shorting it. If I keep this position medium term, I don't think that their knowledge of this position would help if Bitcoin heads for 5-10k or even lower.

Edit:

Vampire Panties posted:

:haibrower: I lost 25k of imaginary internet money (generated from 10k of very real USD) on an exchange from exactly that. AMA

EDIT

this was on a :airquote: decentralized :airquote: exchange, and the flash dip was precisely enough to wipe out my margin call before I could liquidate the position. The price started dropping in under five minutes. I dont even know if anyone uses that crooked exchange anymore.

I understand how this would happen on an exchange. But there wouldn't be a margin call on an ETF, right? It's just an ETF that could double or so or go to zero.

small butter fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Jun 20, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

small butter posted:

Even with an ETF? I wouldn't be directly shorting it. If I keep this position medium term, I don't think that their knowledge of this position would help if Bitcoin heads for 5-10k or even lower.
At some point, the ETF would have to purchase or sell the butts, wouldn't it?

Dongsturm
Feb 17, 2012

small butter posted:

Do it and report back. Especially if you take a hosing.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

small butter posted:

I have an alternative investment: Give the money to me. I am disabled and poor. Send the money to me, and I promise to spend it on things for myself and my cats. You won't get any money back, but you won't get it back investing in crypto either. At least this way you could enjoy the fact that it would make my life better and not end up in a scammers wallet.

Guze
Oct 10, 2007

Regular Human Bartender

I will happily take any money you want to spend on buttcoins and use it to support local businesses

buying beer and chicken wings

Flowers for QAnon
May 20, 2019

small butter posted:

Edit:

I understand how this would happen on an exchange. But there wouldn't be a margin call on an ETF, right? It's just an ETF that could double or so or go to zero.

You are correct. The posters don’t really understand what they are talking about re ETF. I would still be hesitant to touch it. I do have some open puts on COIN as a company.

small butter
Oct 8, 2011

Ok, so no buttcoin shorting. THANK YOU for making financial decisions for me.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

You know, when P.T. Barnum was reported to have said "there's a sucker born every minute"...I think his estimation of how often they're born might have been a bit on the conservative side when it comes to buttcoins/crypto/NFTs/etc.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Are there people at coinbase, tether, celsius, etc. keeping mycrimes.txt files with the anonymous wallet addresses of all these transactions on the permanent public blockchain? They need to use these wallets for their games or to get their money out later, and cops can just use the blockchain to ID the wallets and just wait for somebody to access them?

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Agents are GO! posted:

I have an alternative investment: Give the money to me. I am disabled and poor. Send the money to me, and I promise to spend it on things for myself and my cats. You won't get any money back, but you won't get it back investing in crypto either. At least this way you could enjoy the fact that it would make my life better and not end up in a scammers wallet.

Same except I promise to make my life worse.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Sydney Bottocks posted:

You know, when P.T. Barnum was reported to have said "there's a sucker born every minute"...I think his estimation of how often they're born might have been a bit on the conservative side when it comes to buttcoins/crypto/NFTs/etc.

At 525600 idiots per year, it's probably relatively close to there being one per minute for crypto.

Zathril
Nov 12, 2011

greazeball posted:

Are there people at coinbase, tether, celsius, etc. keeping mycrimes.txt files with the anonymous wallet addresses of all these transactions on the permanent public blockchain? They need to use these wallets for their games or to get their money out later, and cops can just use the blockchain to ID the wallets and just wait for somebody to access them?

If they are as dumb as the Silk Road dude, then literally yes.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

If you really want the crypto experience, give your money to me instead of those people above. I don't need it and I won't use it for any good purpose if I use it at all, but I won't ever give it back to you and I'll mock you for being an idiot.

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

ReidRansom posted:

If you really want the crypto experience, give your money to me instead of those people above. I don't need it and I won't use it for any good purpose if I use it at all, but I won't ever give it back to you and I'll mock you for being an idiot.

Yeah but will you give me some monopoly tokens in return? I only hold the finest in Internet points thank you.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Traditionally one purchases insulting red texts for your posting enemies. A well chosen target and message may mine a "block," which is known for technical reasons as a "QCS thread"

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

just play the lottery. it's easier and has a transparent and legitimate payout structure

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Serjeant Buzfuz posted:

Yeah but will you give me some monopoly tokens in return? I only hold the finest in Internet points thank you.

Sure. I'll mark it on a Google Sheet that you can look at any time you want. You can't get more legitimate than that. It's Google; they basically ARE the internet at this point.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Well, the population was a lot smaller in the 1800s.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

You know what, I'm just gonna ask here. What's with all the Barbies

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

ReidRansom posted:

It's a Barbie world, and we are Barbie girls.
Wrapped in plastic, it's fantastic.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

DaveWoo posted:

In a few weeks: "Yeah, we were audited, we passed and everything is great, no you can't see any of the audit documents"

Ah, the Activision self-audit special: "The Two-Knuckle Oil Check."

Party Ape
Mar 5, 2007
Don't pay $10 bucks to change my avatar! Send me a $10 donation to Doctors with Borders and I'll stop posting for 24 hours!

DaveWoo posted:

In a few weeks: "Yeah, we were audited, we passed and everything is great, no you can't see any of the audit documents"

Come on, this is a professional organisation. You'll at least get to see a report signed by an auditor saying "We didn't get to see any of the source material either. So if you take their word that everything is great, everything is great".

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
the "Funds are Safu" binance ceo meme is so loving stupid it has completely solidified my hatred of these morons :bang:

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

ReidRansom posted:

Same, but I'll pretend to be the poor disabled guy who is using your money for good purposes for a bit, so you can feel like your investment is doing well.

I'll also post a picture of my dick & balls when I abscond with the cash.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Agents are GO! posted:

It's a Barbie world, and we are Barbie girls.
Wrapped in plastic, it's fantastic.

Checks out

PITY BONER
Oct 18, 2021
I admit I am not the most knowledgeable about the full history, but my two cents:

In quite a few ways, the forex trading market of yesteryear (19XX-2010s) had similarities to cryptocurrency. Utter market manipulation in the trillions of dollars (by banks, no less); unlimited scams that targeted the old and/or poor; messiah-type figures selling trading courses or pretending to "invest" the money for hundreds of dupes; dozens of anonymous brokerages running out of tax-haven countries without extradition; dozens of brokerages that ran fake or lagging charts and executed fake orders and/or stole the customer's money if they were winning too much (still the most common scam); "binary options" that had people literally betting on "buy" or "sell" buttons to gamble on price changes; etc., etc. Some brokerages offered up to 1000x leverage on trades (and some still do!), often fake trades on fake charts that never reach the actual market, among many other ways to immediately drain the accounts of anyone signing up and trying to make a quick buck.

Forex, then and now, is unregulated in many ways, but was more unregulated just a decade ago. It took scandal and robbery after scandal and robbery, including a major crash (check out that infographic, lol. The price dropped so fast it couldn't trigger stop-losses), to get US regulators to officially announce that trading forex was similar to gambling and it had to be neutered so hard that it effectively killed any reasonable forex trading in the country. They regulated it to the point where foreign countries had to agree not to allow Americans to join locally registered brokerages/platforms, blocking US citizens from as many ways to bend the rules as possible.

In its current form, the only way Americans can trade forex without it being regulated to hell and back (and basically useless as a way to trade) is to join multiple shady brokerages out of the Seychelles or Cyprus or wherever, trying to spread their "risk" (money) between as many brokerages as possible in order to prevent loss when the inevitable "oops, your account got too big and we will no longer process withdrawals. Bye bye we're ghosting you now" email comes in from one of them. Only the dumbest of dumb opt to trade forex with these scummy brokers, who also pay social media influencers to shill their brokerages and show them doing fake manipulated winning trades to garner more users (YouTube and Instagram are rife with these assholes).

My point is that crypto has been unregulated and manipulated by major firms and weirdos in similar ways as the forex market, and I am a believer in the idea that there will come some point soon in its existence when regulators in the US will finally step in to regulate/dismantle crypto like forex, causing the death of the industry in this country. Enough major firms and rich white boys have to lose out (much like in that flash crash I linked above) to ruffle feathers in the government, and I can't see it not happening.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Serjeant Buzfuz posted:

Now's the best time to buy DoritoCoin and also SalsaCoin so you can 'dip' your coins on the Blockchain 24/7/365
Can you use multiple salsas on one chip?

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Splicer posted:

Can you use multiple salsas on one chip?

No double dipping.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

ymgve posted:

if dude had actually bought in $100 increments since 2012, he would have been a multi millionaire just by hodling - gonna assume fake
Yeah his buys prior to 2017 would still have 20+ times returns if he sold right now.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

PITY BONER posted:

I admit I am not the most knowledgeable about the full history, but my two cents:
My point is that crypto has been unregulated and manipulated by major firms and weirdos in similar ways as the forex market, and I am a believer in the idea that there will come some point soon in its existence when regulators in the US will finally step in to regulate/dismantle crypto like forex, causing the death of the industry in this country. Enough major firms and rich white boys have to lose out (much like in that flash crash I linked above) to ruffle feathers in the government, and I can't see it not happening.

:haibrower: There's a lot of cross-pollination between forex and crypto types (or used to be). IMO this is (or was) why the industry was working so hard on a use case - if they could show that ETH or BTC would actually work as some sort of impossibly lovely Visa, than all of this crap would be instantly legitimized.

:lol::lmao: cryptocurrency is a loving scam tho

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Salt Fish posted:

Same except I promise to make my life worse.
I will also make this guy's life worse.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

ReidRansom posted:

a while back cspam carpet bombed the D&D Ukraine thread with melty ai biden avs, which someone disliked enough to indiscriminately re-avatar with random barbie and lego pictures

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

:lol:

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

Splicer posted:

I will also make this guy's life worse.

I will make all parties' lives worse. Get in on ruineveryone'slivescoin.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Papa Was A Video Toaster posted:

I will make all parties' lives worse. Get in on ruineveryone'slivescoin.

great, another cookie cutter altcoin that delivers no new ideas or promises.

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

From the bancor reddit (LMAO):

Bancor posted:

"Bancor is the only decentralized staking protocol that allows you to earn money with single-token exposure and full protection from impermanent loss. Launched in 2017, Bancor was the first DeFi protocol. Today, it generates millions in fees per month for depositors, offering up to 60% APR on tokens like ETH, WBTC, LINK, MATIC, AAVE & more. Bancor is owned by its community as a decentralized autonomous organization (BancorDAO)."

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
Back in the day last year sometime this thing was offering literally 8000% APR, now I think it's "only" a few hundred % APR if you stake with them

https://www.olympusdao.finance/

at 8000% APR you can just put $100 in there and be rich in a few years!!! how can you not just jam it all in there

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Serjeant Buzfuz posted:

From the bancor reddit (LMAO):

WTF is "full protection from impermanent loss?" Are they guaranteeing that any losses are forever?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I mean are they wrong

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

CaptainSarcastic posted:

WTF is "full protection from impermanent loss?" Are they guaranteeing that any losses are forever?

maybe it's like a private hedge fund and they don't mark to market and tell you about the temporary losses, only the gains or when the fund goes to zero. apparently, research suggests that people will pay a premium for an investment that doesn't mark to market for this type of peace of mind, so who the gently caress knows?