Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

What I love about Greece is having enough mathematical capability to form a geometric model that predicts the retrograde motion of planets, and doing this without discovering heliocentrism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe

Nessus posted:

It wasn't just a siege defense weapon but you are likely thinking of
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mysorean_rockets

and their more famous version once the British ripped them off,
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Congreve_rocket

The Congreve rockets were the origin of "the rocket's red glare" in the Star Spangled Banner! :911:

Reading about the tactics reminds me about Stalin's Organ during WW2, but I suppose the same principles applied.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fire_lance

i did some more digging and this is what I was thinking of but your stuff is also cool

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Azza Bamboo posted:

What I love about Greece is having enough mathematical capability to form a geometric model that predicts the retrograde motion of planets, and doing this without discovering heliocentrism.

Maybe its because the Athenians had a nasty habit of exiling people for impiety when they started saying the sun wasn't actually divine at all, and was just a white hot spinning mass of molten metal

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
I like to think Anaxagoras was a Reddit atheist type and they exiled him for being a jerk more so than being technically correct.

Given how they treated Socrates, it would track.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Azza Bamboo posted:

a contemporary of archimedes, aristarchus, did propose heliocentrism, and archimedes even used it as the basis of a calculation for how many grains of sand it would take to fill the universe, although ofc his fudge factor for "how big is everything outside the orbit of the earth" was, uh, very wrong

the major hangup that the greeks had with the idea was that there is no apparent stellar parallax (i.e. stars moving in the sky due to the orbit of the earth); this can either be explained by the stars being unfathomably far away, or by the earth being stationary. the latter seemed more reasonable at the time

Parmenides
Jul 22, 2020

by Pragmatica

Kaal posted:

My friend posted this yesterday and it seems too perfectly timed for me to not share it.

That meme is embarrassingly bad. I don't even know where to begin, but I feel compelled to at least speak up and advise you against posting it again. For your own sake and continued good reputation. Find better friends; there are some good works from Classical Antiquity about friendship, btw, maybe read them and go from there.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Parmenides posted:

That meme is embarrassingly bad. I don't even know where to begin, but I feel compelled to at least speak up and advise you against posting it again. For your own sake and continued good reputation. Find better friends; there are some good works from Classical Antiquity about friendship, btw, maybe read them and go from there.

Oh my God I was joking but you really are that guy aren't you?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Glad I still have some popcorn in the pantry.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Grand Fromage posted:

Glad I still have some popcorn in the pantry.

Get your skull calipers ready, Parmenides is back and wants to discuss which of the Greek races is superior.

It's the Romans anyway, you degenerate easterner.

moonmazed
Dec 27, 2021

by VideoGames
it's a gimmick account you dummies

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parmenides

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Yeah yeah and they also claim Alexander never met Diogenes but we all know the truth.

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo

Parmenides posted:

Xerxes was a better leader because he could round up more than 300 dudes to show up at a beach.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Parmenides is one of the most significant of the pre-Socratic philosophers[citation needed]. Parmenides' philosophy has been explained[who?] with the slogan "whatever is is, and what is not cannot be". He is also credited with the phrase "out of nothing nothing comes"[citation needed]. He argues that "A is not" can never be thought or said truthfully, and thus despite appearances everything exists as one, giant, unchanging thing[citation needed]. This is generally considered one of the first digressions into the philosophical concept of being[citation needed], and has been contrasted with Heraclitus's statement that "No man ever steps into the same river twice" as one of the first digressions into the philosophical concept of becoming[citation needed]. Scholars[who?]

This is a really funny string of [_] for wiki

SlothfulCobra posted:

What the hell is Athens doing up there? They lost the war, they just wrote enough poo poo down to have a greater legacy.

They won other wars.

I'm still constantly amused that the Spartan Hegemony lasted less than I've been alive and there's still op-eds about how my entire generation are babies.

All of classical greece is like a teeny tiny little sandbox of world history but their written records are well passed down and fairly old so it feels like they're bigger than Hatfields & McCoys

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

they absolutely aren't bigger than hatfields and mccoys. pre-alexander greek history just feels small if you're familiar with literally any other ancient history, except maybe the old testament, which is similarly a document making mountains out of molehills a lot of the time. all of the bad op-ed writers and spartaboos are generally not familiar with much else ime

ofc both the ancient greeks and the ancient hebrews have a lot of personality, especially since we know an awful lot about the lives of specific non-royal greeks in detail compared to everywhere else in the same time period, where you're mostly just getting poo poo like "and then I, Sennacherib, slew a hundred thousand Hittites and carted their gods back to Nineveh" or w/e

Jazerus fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Jun 21, 2022

moonmazed
Dec 27, 2021

by VideoGames
mods change my name to scholars [who?]

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Tulip posted:

I'm still constantly amused that the Spartan Hegemony lasted less than I've been alive and there's still op-eds about how my entire generation are babies.
Leaving aside whatever critique of the critique of the critique of Sparta you want, weren't there like... not a loving lot of actual "Spartans"? Googling it suggests approximately nine thousand, tops.

Nine thousand guys! And I'm sure they couldn't deploy all of them at once.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
they had a double parent rule, a strict income requirement to maintain citizen status, and no way to induct new citizens. while the overall population of lacadaemon seems to have done fine, the citizen body of sparta collapsed over the classical period because it just wasn't sustainable mathematically

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

cheetah7071 posted:

they had a double parent rule, a strict income requirement to maintain citizen status, and no way to induct new citizens. while the overall population of lacadaemon seems to have done fine, the citizen body of sparta collapsed over the classical period because it just wasn't sustainable mathematically

lol stupid jocks maybe learn some maths from the athenians

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
European nobility shows that you can have a strict rule on your legitimate ancestry and still keep your numbers up, so long as you don't mind the physical consequences of a limited gene pool.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Jazerus posted:

the major hangup that the greeks had with the idea was that there is no apparent stellar parallax (i.e. stars moving in the sky due to the orbit of the earth); this can either be explained by the stars being unfathomably far away, or by the earth being stationary. the latter seemed more reasonable at the time

I thought they had conceived of the stars as a black sphere punctured with holes revealing the light behind it. Obviously that would have a parallax in a heliocentric system but something about the way you said this made me wonder if they had figured that the stars were objects in a black void

Azza Bamboo fucked around with this message at 09:12 on Jun 21, 2022

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Nessus posted:

Leaving aside whatever critique of the critique of the critique of Sparta you want, weren't there like... not a loving lot of actual "Spartans"? Googling it suggests approximately nine thousand, tops.

Nine thousand guys! And I'm sure they couldn't deploy all of them at once.

9,000 at the start of their classical period. That number continuously declined over time. By Plutarch's time it's under 1,000.

It's actually a bit of a fun lesson: Spartan citizenship was intentionally enforced as a deflationary asset (since that was good for individual stakeholders), which meant the system was in a continuous state of decline until it became really nothing more than a joke. There might be a lesson here for people in the 21st century.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Azza Bamboo posted:

I thought they had conceived of the stars as a black sphere punctured with holes revealing the light behind it. Obviously that would have a parallax in a heliocentric system but something about the way you said this made me wonder if they had figured that the stars were objects in a black void

Anaxagoras said 'yeah they are probably also really far away bits of hot metal like the sun. And sometimes pieces of them might break off, and get flung away by centrifugal force. And that's why we sometimes see shooting stars.'

Once a shooting star hit where people could find it, everyone was like 'whoa dude this IS metal, way to go'

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Tulip posted:

9,000 at the start of their classical period. That number continuously declined over time. By Plutarch's time it's under 1,000.

It's actually a bit of a fun lesson: Spartan citizenship was intentionally enforced as a deflationary asset (since that was good for individual stakeholders), which meant the system was in a continuous state of decline until it became really nothing more than a joke. There might be a lesson here for people in the 21st century.
You're saying that it will be good for individual stakehodlers as long as we are able to keep up our manus adamantus? :hmmyes:

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

just as an addendum to barber chat, when you start looking at the extremely miscellaneous tasks that get assigned to pre-19th century barbers in most places, barbers start looking less like "the shave and the haircut" profession and more like "owns and is good at maintaining sharp things and related tools" profession. Why yes I'd like to get a shave and while I'm here can you fix my ingrown tonail and screw it pull that tooth while we're at it.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

CommonShore posted:

just as an addendum to barber chat, when you start looking at the extremely miscellaneous tasks that get assigned to pre-19th century barbers in most places, barbers start looking less like "the shave and the haircut" profession and more like "owns and is good at maintaining sharp things and related tools" profession. Why yes I'd like to get a shave and while I'm here can you fix my ingrown tonail and screw it pull that tooth while we're at it.

yeah, barbers were surgeons too

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
body got too much of something? sure, i'll cut it out

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Jazerus posted:

and the macedonian empire existed for about five minutes but what are you gonna do

Macedon as a state lasted for a good 200 years as the premier power in Greece, which is about 10 times longer than any of the hegemonies managed by the city-states. There is also supposedly another 200 centuries of Macedonian history prior to Philip II, mostly consisting of royal assassinations

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
200 centuries?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Jamwad Hilder posted:

200 centuries?

Leftover kingdom following the Finnish/Korean hyperwar.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Homo sapiens have probably been living in Macedon for closer to 400 centuries so I'll allow it

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Mr. Nice! posted:

Leftover kingdom following the Finnish/Korean hyperwar.

but was it finnish, or korean???

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

200 centuries, i believe, would predate both empires so they may just been native belligerents that held fast, beginning a long tradition that the spartans will eventually claim as their own.

Parmenides
Jul 22, 2020

by Pragmatica

Azza Bamboo posted:

There were many different theories, but yes, you're thinking of Anaximander. Essentially, he thought the Earth was ringed by great wheels/rings full of fire. The body of the wheel has little openings, so when we look up we can see small sections of the fire, which is what we would call stars and all the other things in space.

To answer your curiosity, yes, there were theories that described stars as objects floating around; for example, see Anaximenes. Thales, Anaximander, and Anaximenes get packaged up as the Milesian natural philosophers; they were all active in Miletus and kicked off the "pre-socratic" thing. It's hard to express the sheer brilliance, diversity, and breadth of pre-socratic, I will just say that with the rise of the Eleatics we essentially witness the absolute high-point in human philosophical achievement. It reached Athens a while later and, well, I guess they made some contributions in the field of ethics and politics, but otherwise it's a very steep decline until the rise of internet forums and our generation. But now I am going on a tangent.

If you want a pre-socratic work that deals with cosmology in a very natural science way, with plenty of interesting takes, and who is reasonably well preserved, you should go read the Phoenix Pre-Socratics book on Anaxagoras. He was from Clazomenae but became very active and prominent in Athens; he was one of the latter pre-socratics who tried to open the Athenians' eyes. I will post an amazon link, but obviously feel free to obtain it from whatever source you like if it interests you:

https://www.amazon.com/Anaxagoras-Clazomenae-Fragments-Testomonia-Presocractic/dp/1442611634/ref=sr_1_1?crid=Q8VMTXMXLJML&

I'm not a gimmick account. I picked this username to honour Parmenides, for Eleatic philosophy represents an absolute high point in human thought. I have my own Neo-Eleatic work that explains this in a clear, fun, and accessible manner, you can find it if you like, but I doubt you're ready.

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Yeah yeah and they also claim Alexander never met Diogenes but we all know the truth.

The Diogenes mythology is the invention of bitter, late-Roman Republic Stoics/"Cynics" trying to discredit Platonism and invent a 4th century Athenian pedigree for themselves. Subsequent Romans ran with this fraud. The Cynic letters are direct, contemporary evidence of this fraud, and we also have compelling circumstantial evidence given Diogenes' notable absence in 4th century Athenian source material (no, your citation to Aristotle does not name Diogenes, pull the source; also, it doesn't reference any significant myths). Also, the circumstantial evidence of what would happen to some foreigner like Diogenes if he showed up in Athens during that period and behaved that way.

I could say more, but again I doubt you guys are ready for that, and I don't feel like getting probated/banned today.

Tulip posted:

They won other wars.

All of classical greece is like a teeny tiny little sandbox of world history but their written records are well passed down and fairly old so it feels like they're bigger than Hatfields & McCoys

This is wrong in so many ways. The Hellenic world stretched across the med and up into the euxine, and Spartan leadership of the Greek world lasted centuries. I don't know how you're defining hegemony, but generally speaking Sparta spent the 6-4th century unseating tyrants and organising much of the mainland hellenic world as it pleased. They had a centuries-long reputation for this.

I'm not going to bother quoting all the other comments on Sparta. Yes, their numbers dwindled - they won so much there were few of them left. Dealing with the losers that surrounded them was probably very draining on their resources and discipline, too. They earned their great reputation and they will always serve as an inspiration for good people. Even when they mostly retired to the Peloponnesos in the mid/late 4th century, their traditions and sense of identity gave them the power to rise up and gain the attention of the world whenever they pleased. Similarly, the tradition of a single Spartan arriving on foreign shores and changing the tide of battle remained just as true regardless of the time period.

The gods so favoured Sparta that, after witnessing their glorious revolutions of the late 3rd to 2nd century, they deified Cleomenes III on the cross, calmed his people, and let their city enter a blissful slumber under a Roman aegis. The story of Sparta is that of Kleobis & Biton writ large; the Spartan citizenry yoked itself to Hellas and drew her forward, earning that rest at the end of their journey. They remain right where we left them, obedient to her laws and metaphysical necessity.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
"retired" to the peleponnese because epaminondas kicked their rear end and freed their enslaved workforce

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Post the manifesto, Pseudo-Parmenides, let's throw some poo poo into the Library of Congress.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

drat that's a commitment to the gimmick

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

cheetah7071 posted:

"retired" to the peleponnese because epaminondas kicked their rear end and freed their enslaved workforce

and then became a hokey tourist trap for the romans. the ancient equivalent of The World's Biggest Ear of Corn

Sarern
Nov 4, 2008

:toot:
Won't you take me to
Bomertown?
Won't you take me to
BONERTOWN?

:toot:

Nessus posted:

Post the manifesto, Pseudo-Parmenides, let's throw some poo poo into the Library of Congress.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

I will give our fellow poster this, they are almost surely correct that the average Lacedonian had a far more in-depth knowledge of Greek antiquity than we do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parmenides
Jul 22, 2020

by Pragmatica

cheetah7071 posted:

"retired" to the peleponnese because e*********s kicked their rear end and freed their enslaved workforce

That you would support a literal Boeotian says a lot. I will just say that he died on the point of a Spartan spear and that the 4th century saw Thebes paid in full for her actions.

Jazerus posted:

and then became a hokey tourist trap for the romans. the ancient equivalent of The World's Biggest Ear of Corn

And you would probably describe Kleobis & Biton as two random guys who died of exhaustion. What can we even say to each other?

燕雀安知鸿鹄之志哉

Nessus posted:

Sarern posted:

https://antiquitystudio.com/AntiquityStudio.html

Parmenides fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Jun 21, 2022