Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica
Leaving afghanistan was recognizing the reality that the taliban controlled everything. they were willing to negotiate us leaving with minimal casualties, and not risk america bombing the few cities we held after they then took them over.

biden hosed it up, because his administration didn't understand it had all already been set up by the taliban and trump administration. maybe biden didn't want to be seen closing the trump deal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

biden hasn't invaded anywhere in south or central america.

he tried to do coups to like 4 different somewhat leftwing south american govts

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

paul_soccer12 posted:

he tried to do coups to like 4 different somewhat leftwing south american govts

that's just business as usual.

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
still a bad thing that should not be done

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

I didn't call Biden ordering the waves to turn back.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Gene Hackman Fan posted:

still a bad thing that should not be done

well yeah, what do you expect from the us government

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

well yeah, what do you expect from the us government

nothing good, that's for sure.

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

Nonsense posted:

Nancy Pelosi was born before Steamboat Willy was in theaters

steamboat willie was 12 when she was born according to a quick google

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica
if you read https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nancy_Pelosi#Tenure in order, it's just a list of self-defeats

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

When Nancy & Chuck lose the majority for like the 3rd? time now they are still in zero danger of losing their leadership positions right?

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Pryor on Fire posted:

When Nancy & Chuck lose the majority for like the 3rd? time now they are still in zero danger of losing their leadership positions right?

even AOC didn't put up a fight to stop nancy from being the leader

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Pelosi has been challenged from the right after the past two elections

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Clark Nova posted:

Pelosi has been challenged from the right after the past two elections

well, when you spend money to prevent anybody from the left from getting in that kinda means the leadership challenges are only gonna come from one direction

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
it's good to remember that 90% of the american population thinks that politics has shifted significantly leftward over the past few decades because of incessant propaganda

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Stereotype posted:

it's good to remember that 90% of the american population thinks that politics has shifted significantly leftward over the past few decades because of incessant propaganda

Wealthy gay couples can file taxes jointly, we're basically a Leninist state.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

1glitch0 posted:

What's going to be great is when Trump wins in 2024 and immediately dumps Ukraine for whichever reason you chose to believe, prices comes back down, and the democratic party doesn't see the White House for a generation.

clearly the Democrats will go the way of the Federalist Party: absorbed completely into the Republicans, and this time, the Era Of Good Feelings ain't ending until all the minorities are dead

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

minus the skyrocketing and uncontrollable price increases, the ukraine war was giving the natsec blob everything it wanted (tens of billions of dollars in handouts to military contractors, a spectacular distraction, etc), and with no costs, since no American troop involvement meant no credible opposition.

Stereotype posted:

well everyone in america thinks "politics" only encompasses culture war issues since those are the only issues that are ever debated.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
https://twitter.com/jdcmedlock/stat...ingawful.com%2F

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
it's not at all surprising that two contradictory narratives are being employed simultaneously. the goal of narratives isn't to learn about or inform on reality based empirical truth, it's to present convenient rationales for pre-determined decisions.

americans don't experience cognitive dissonance even when things are far more clearly contradictory than federal reserve policy. no one thinks about anything at all

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

who needs to think when tucker and david leonhardt do that for you

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

You know what also lowers inflation, taxing the rich

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Chamale posted:

an impossible pipedream. instead we will simply let millions starve to death in the streets

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

Chamale posted:

You just don't understand how the Senate works. You sound very stupid. The Senate is very complicated. Probably too complicated for you and your stupid, small brain.

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
all i'm saying is that lucy parsons had a revenue-neutral way to give jobs to the homeless.

i will not elaborate.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Chamale posted:

But who will create the jobs that must be destroyed?!

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
i want to point out that the only thing that biden did in regards to "family separations" is halt the separation part. they are still detaining children, just now they have a special facility where they can be detained with a parent. the places these children are living are still cages, just slightly larger and with a guardian. i assume it also saves a lot of money because the parent can take care of the kid and you don't need to employ a prison guard to do it.

MSDOS KAPITAL
Jun 25, 2018

Nix Panicus posted:

How many activists were senators?

Also we've clearly seen that no amount of activist activity will cause any reaction in the halls of power except more money for cops to beat the poo poo out of people. Why would anyone in government give two fucks about activists marching?
it's important to remember the difference between protests (against injustice) and demonstrations (of power)

no one in the halls of power pays much attention to the former because there is no need to whatsoever. by "protesting" you are already resigning yourself to a situation where you have no power. if your goal is to appeal to the better angels of the people oppressing you or whatever nonsense, then you've already lost. you're really better off doing literally nothing.

demonstrations they do pay attention to, but I don't know if the US has had a demonstration in my lifetime. I think occupy kinda maybe began to resemble one in the very early days but then a conscious and deliberate choice was made not to do that. it could have happened at a couple points during the george floyd protests as well, but somehow there were always enough liberals with megaphones to drown out truly revolutionary voices, and literally lead people into dead-ends where they could be easily kettled, brutalized, then arrested by police, well before things got to a critical mass

I think the US is just too good at disrupting mass movements before they can get off the ground. they've had a lot of practice. they're probably murdering something on the order of 100 MLKs every year well before you hear about it and before they're influential enough for anyone to care. in the meantime obviously nothing is being done to address material concerns, so all that can happen is that conditions will continue to deteriorate. the next time something sparks people to consider open revolt again, things will probably get even hairier than the gf protests, but they'll use the same tactics to subvert those and they'll probably be successful again as well. only when things get so out of hand that it starts to disrupt the operational integrity of the intelligence and law enforcement communities is there any hope of even demonstrating enough power to get anyone to listen, much less actually changing anything. I suspect we're a ways away from that still but who knows.

we will get there eventually though :) because we're already heading in that direction and there is absolutely nothing in place capable of changing that direction for precisely the reasons stated

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Nonsense posted:

It's going to own when every Democrat president after Biden, who knows when, will very likely have Larry Summers attached at the hip to prevent what happened to Biden from happening to them.

Embed Ducklo.

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

Lol Hillary lost because she listened to the data scientists! Predictive models are only as good as their assumptions and data!

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Mayor Dave posted:

Lol Hillary lost because she listened to the data scientists! Predictive models are only as good as their assumptions and data!

Moreover, you cannot equate models of what certain constituencies/demographics/whatever Dems pretend matters say is important with what actually persuades them to vote. They're often decided by some random bullshit the republicans propagandize into existence, instead of the Dems calculated triangulation.

The whole thing is a house of cards built on policy being a series of statements on your website.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

ikanreed posted:

Moreover, you cannot equate models of what certain constituencies/demographics/whatever Dems pretend matters say is important with what actually persuades them to vote. They're often decided by some random bullshit the republicans propagandize into existence, instead of the Dems calculated triangulation.

The whole thing is a house of cards built on policy being a series of statements on your website.

lol remember when in a debate with trump hillary just kept repeating that people should go look at her website? lmao

MSDOS KAPITAL
Jun 25, 2018

average first-graders would do a better job running a national political party than these people

Ocean Book
Sep 27, 2010

:yum: - hi
gently caress this stupid piece of poo poo party. any democratic politician with a photo op wearing a ‘protect trans kids’ t-shirt can eat my rear end.

state by state fascists are just rolling out a loving tidal wave of legislative bullshit designed, ultimately, to kill trans people. just an absolute shotgun of anything that might make existing in society while trans impossible. documentation updates, evidence based medicine, access to social instructions, legal protection. it’s all gonna be gone. it’s as dead as loving abortion. rip.

and the democrat response is literally “I will do nothing to protect your rights or your well-being. Therefore it is essential you vote for me”. :xd: can’t wait to see what all this political capital gets spent on. should be great. really looking forward to it

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Ocean Book posted:

:xd: can’t wait to see what all this political capital gets spent on.

Winning the next election duh

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

Stereotype posted:

i want to point out that the only thing that biden did in regards to "family separations" is halt the separation part. they are still detaining children, just now they have a special facility where they can be detained with a parent. the places these children are living are still cages, just slightly larger and with a guardian. i assume it also saves a lot of money because the parent can take care of the kid and you don't need to employ a prison guard to do it.

The fact that the Biden Administration can call them "Free Range" children while still caging them is a disgusting failure of label regulation that harms the American consumer

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

dnc chairman Nate silver

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

dnc chairman Nate silver

The fact that the dems need a data scientist to inform their position on something that should be determined by morality and values tells you everything you need to know about the democrats

A data scientist tells you where you are in convincing the electorate of your positions. Positions are things you hold because you believe in them, not things to be determined by where the electorate is.

I will never ever be able to understand how there are people out there without a belief in ANYTHING and yet there are so many libs.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
how fitting for grift professions to tell dems what they want to hear

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Chamale posted:

i was gonna question this, but then i realized you probably meant regular rich people like democratic consultant data scientists, not bezos types.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

MSDOS KAPITAL posted:

it's important to remember the difference between protests (against injustice) and demonstrations (of power)

no one in the halls of power pays much attention to the former because there is no need to whatsoever. by "protesting" you are already resigning yourself to a situation where you have no power. if your goal is to appeal to the better angels of the people oppressing you or whatever nonsense, then you've already lost. you're really better off doing literally nothing.

demonstrations they do pay attention to, but I don't know if the US has had a demonstration in my lifetime. I think occupy kinda maybe began to resemble one in the very early days but then a conscious and deliberate choice was made not to do that. it could have happened at a couple points during the george floyd protests as well, but somehow there were always enough liberals with megaphones to drown out truly revolutionary voices, and literally lead people into dead-ends where they could be easily kettled, brutalized, then arrested by police, well before things got to a critical mass

I think the US is just too good at disrupting mass movements before they can get off the ground. they've had a lot of practice. they're probably murdering something on the order of 100 MLKs every year well before you hear about it and before they're influential enough for anyone to care. in the meantime obviously nothing is being done to address material concerns, so all that can happen is that conditions will continue to deteriorate. the next time something sparks people to consider open revolt again, things will probably get even hairier than the gf protests, but they'll use the same tactics to subvert those and they'll probably be successful again as well. only when things get so out of hand that it starts to disrupt the operational integrity of the intelligence and law enforcement communities is there any hope of even demonstrating enough power to get anyone to listen, much less actually changing anything. I suspect we're a ways away from that still but who knows.

we will get there eventually though :) because we're already heading in that direction and there is absolutely nothing in place capable of changing that direction for precisely the reasons stated

I keep thinking about how in the BLM protests in my deep blue city (which were huge and we had a permanent curfew until the ACLU sued), the city govt refused to speak with any of the protest organizers until some group that nobody ever heard of came to town.

They called themselves the leadership of the movement and they immediately got meetings with the mayor & council, did a bunch of photo ops, then disappeared

First time seeing an op in my own city lmao