Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

I pay $15/mo for a Plex share in lieu of paying $15/mo for 6-10 independent services that are all gonna put ads in within the year

We went from cable to piracy to legal streaming to pirate streams because the streaming companies are just disaggregated cable now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
I'll do the "I'm paying for X streaming service so I can watch Y show/movie but because the interface is hot garbage I pirate it and don't feel guilty.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
none of the "free with ads" sites have bad ads though. it's always just a couple short car insurance ads or whatever.

not like youtube giving you literally 5 minutes of ads every 2 minutes of content lmao

ozmunkeh
Feb 28, 2008

hey guys what is happening in this thread

Medullah posted:

I'll do the "I'm paying for X streaming service so I can watch Y show/movie but because the interface is hot garbage I pirate it and don't feel guilty.

The appletv experience.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
i think someone else said this before, but YouTube is actually a good place to buy movies that you want to be able to watch anytime hassle free. they're usually cheaper than Amazon and the interface to watch your poo poo is super fast, unlike Amazon

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

precision posted:

none of the "free with ads" sites have bad ads though. it's always just a couple short car insurance ads or whatever.

not like youtube giving you literally 5 minutes of ads every 2 minutes of content lmao

I read once that YouTube technically doesn’t have a limit on ad length as long as there’s a skip button

Fall asleep to Techmoan and you’ll get an hour and a half NFT ad drilled into your brain

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I had something go wrong with different ad blocking and facebook tracker blocking add-ons in firefox a while ago and somehow it broke only youtube ad blocking and the "skip ad" button on youtube. I learned fast that there are 90+ minute ads all over the place on there.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

precision posted:

i think someone else said this before, but YouTube is actually a good place to buy movies that you want to be able to watch anytime hassle free. they're usually cheaper than Amazon and the interface to watch your poo poo is super fast, unlike Amazon

It really is. And you can play it on whatever device you own that has YouTube with zero hassle. I have a small library going and it's great.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Don't forget Kanopy. It's free but you have to get it through a public library system or educational institution. If you have a .EDU email address, try signing up, otherwise go through your library.

It has a ton of stuff. It has things from Criterion and A24 just to give you an idea.

edit: I forgot some words because I can't type.

Jose Oquendo fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Jun 20, 2022

Miss Lonelyhearts
Mar 22, 2003

precision posted:

yo, Magic Trip is free on youtube. it's super good if you didn't catch it when it came out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_l1aqwX3KQ

This was really good, yea

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Jose Oquendo posted:

Don't forget Kanopy. It's free but you have to get through a public library system or educational institution. If you have a .EDU email address, try signing up, otherwise go through your library.

It has a of things. It has things from Criterion and A24 just to give you an idea.

Came here to say this, Kanopy rules. Limit of 4 watches per month at my library, but still great.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
I like the ads on Tubi because instead of being structured to happen during scene changes (like Hulu or live TV) they will just straight up play an ad in the middle of a sentence

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

RRR goes straight Triumph of the Will at the end, huh.

movie whips but holy poo poo.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
yeah it's propaganda as gently caress for most of its runtime but goes all out in the final song
Like Wolf Warrior tho I'm willing to take a certain amount of nationalism if it's in the name of overcoming white devils and/or kicking the poo poo out of British soldiers
I loved how absolutely anime villain ridiculous so many of the white characters in RRR are (except Jenny who manages to completely avoid any culpability in child kidnapping)...like, the scenery chewing Governor (who filled almost every room of his castle with TNT, very smart) being a ridiculously skilled marksman, or his cartoonishly evil child-stealing sadist wife who carries her own extra-mutilating torture whip :lol:

Punkin Spunkin fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Jun 20, 2022

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Punkin Spunkin posted:

yeah it's propaganda as gently caress for most of its runtime but goes all out in the final song
Like Wolf Warrior tho I'm willing to take a certain amount of nationalism if it's in the name of overcoming white devils and/or kicking the poo poo out of British soldiers
I loved how absolutely anime villain ridiculous so many of the white characters in RRR are (except Jenny who manages to completely avoid any culpability in child kidnapping)...like, the scenery chewing Governor (who filled almost every room of his castle with TNT, very smart) being a ridiculously skilled marksman, or his cartoonishly evil child-stealing sadist wife who carries her own extra-mutilating torture whip :lol:

the villain jump-scouting and landing on his knees out his loving flipping car had me pumping my fists.

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

Wolfsheim posted:

I like the ads on Tubi because instead of being structured to happen during scene changes (like Hulu or live TV) they will just straight up play an ad in the middle of a sentence

It was hilarious to watch Martyrs on Tubi since it would go from gruesome disturbing scenes to "are you having a McDonald's day?".

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Also it shouldn't be underestimated just how convenient pirate stream sites have become by now. It used to be that pirating was a fairly complex undertaking with dead links, risk of viruses, and so on, but nowadays it's dead easy. At this point they literally have better user interface than loving Prime. :laffo:

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Mrs.Marvel is a well produced teen show that seems like there is some sort of campaign against it online because of course there is

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
It has a female Muslim lead actress of course people are going to be losing their poo poo

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Perestroika posted:

Also it shouldn't be underestimated just how convenient pirate stream sites have become by now. It used to be that pirating was a fairly complex undertaking with dead links, risk of viruses, and so on, but nowadays it's dead easy. At this point they literally have better user interface than loving Prime. :laffo:
Oh snap I thought it was still a lovely wasteland, I'm still just pirating in the old ways. I need to get on these, just too old to find em "naturally" anymore. :corsair:

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Upsidads posted:

Mrs.Marvel is a well produced teen show that seems like there is some sort of campaign against it online because of course there is

It is good and we enjoy it a lot. But yeah as soon as I saw it was a female Muslim lead I just knew the internet would lose their poo poo.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

I do miss the comic book body horror powers but her family supporting cast is the real star of the show and the principal who isn't played as a joke

Slowdive
Jun 9, 2016

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Oh snap I thought it was still a lovely wasteland, I'm still just pirating in the old ways. I need to get on these, just too old to find em "naturally" anymore. :corsair:

Stremio.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Thanks for whoever recommended Love, Death + Robots. It’s got some really cool episodes.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Field Mousepad posted:

It has a female Muslim lead actress of course people are going to be losing their poo poo

It's also eating poo poo in the ratings. I think it's the best Disney+ Marvel show by a wide margin.

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.
I'm pretty ambivalent about Ms. Marvel after the first two episodes. Everything about it is just Fine in my opinion, like a lot of other Disney + shows, and I don't feel like the target audience for it at all (understandably). So I don't think I'll continue watching, but I know enough about the character now to enjoy her whenever she pops up in the future.

So far, here are my Disney+ MCU show rankings:

- Shockingly excellent: Hawkeye
- Pretty interesting: WandaVision
- Didn't regret watching: Loki, What If...?, Ms. Marvel
- Didn't bother: The Falcon and the Winter Soldier, Moon Knight

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
I think Loki is the best show they've done by a wide margin. I don't know if they had a bigger budget or what but that show was awesome

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I think part of it is just that Hiddleston is a better actor and it's more charismatic than most of their leads, and ditto for the supporting cast.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Baron von Eevl posted:

I think part of it is just that Hiddleston is a better actor and it's more charismatic than most of their leads, and ditto for the supporting cast.

Oscar Isaac is incredibly charismatic but moon knight still sucked

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
Yeah I was super excited for Moon Knight but it just kind of fell flat

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
That's true, but also moon knight is an incredibly low rung hero, even for the marvel television shows and Egypt stuff isn't really having a moment now like it was in *checks notes* the 1990s or 1920s.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
I liked Moon Knight enough, my favorite parts were the action scenes with missing time, but they billed it as a limited series, but in the end, it wasn't. The story wasn't resolved, in the slightest, in part because they're clearly planning on doing more with the character. They held their punches.

And it was a bit strange to have a series about Egyptian gods, to have a Thor 4 coming out a few months later where the villain is called Gorr the God Butcher, and not have the stories tie in with each other at all.

So far, Wandavision, Loki, and Hawkeye were the best MCU shows so far. Falcon and the Winter Soldier fell flat because they gutted the core story about a global pandemic after they finished filming the series because they thought it was smart given that we were going through a global pandemic at the time.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Baron von Eevl posted:

That's true, but also moon knight is an incredibly low rung hero, even for the marvel television shows and Egypt stuff isn't really having a moment now like it was in *checks notes* the 1990s or 1920s.

Moon Knight's fundamental problem was that the show was dealing with too large of a scale of a problem. It absolutely should have not been about trying to save the world. I was incredibly bored by the two giant CGI gods duking it out. It also had an incredibly lazy ending where the plot was resolved by two Deus Ex Machinas in a row..

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

I don't get the whining about ads.

Like, isn't the point of being in business to make money? Sure, gently caress capitalism and gently caress CEOs who make a dollar while the rank and file make a dime, but are these companies just supposed to provide poo poo for free?

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

Timby posted:

Like, isn't the point of being in business to make money? Sure, gently caress capitalism and gently caress CEOs who make a dollar while the rank and file make a dime, but are these companies just supposed to provide poo poo for free?

People are mad about bad ads, as noted Freevee and Tubi have a bad habit of just slamming them into the middle of scenes.

Also ad creep. HBO Max and Netflix are going to start lower ad-filled levels and almost certainly raise the price of the ad-free service shortly afterward. Disney won't let you get a bundle with Hulu without ads so it's a double tax on getting it ad-free if you'd like to have Disney+. Amazon Prime had a bunch of TV included in the membership. Now as a "feature" a bunch of it is on helpfully on Freevee, because they realized a lot of people have Amazon Prime for other stuff so they can cut TV/Movies without much drama.

All the people who liked watching Bosch on Amazon Prime now have to watch ads cause it's on Freevee. I guess it's cool that the one person without Amazon prime who started fresh with Bosch: Legacy gets to see it for free, but it's bad for everybody else :shrug:.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Ads suck, it's why I like streaming

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Timby posted:

I stopped watching PlutoTV because it was just nonstop ads for the raunchiest, nastiest right winger poo poo with actors in scrubs telling me healthcare makes kids gay.

I was fine with it as an ad supported service until that became the norm.

NeoSeeker
Nov 26, 2007

:spergin:ASK ME ABOUT MY TOTALLY REALISTIC ZIPLINE-BASED ZOMBIE SURVIVAL PLAN & HOW THE ZOMBIE SURVIVAL VIDEO GAME GENRE HAS BEEN "RAPED BY THE MAINSTREAM":spergin:

Timby posted:

I pay Paramount to remind me they have some cringey show I will never watch (or continue to watch) before every episode of some other show I actually enjoy.
But It's mostly just the way ads are made. They're either really heavy handed with people loading guns loudly to the rhythm of Adigo in D Minor or Lux Aeterna or some insanely chirpy pharmaceutical/hard-seltzer ad with twee music and a bunch of people running around looking happy.
It takes you out of the experience. If you're getting the service for free that's to be expected. But paying for a service and having to watch anything but your selection feels invasive.

Having a mute button on your keyboard is fine for sound. But it seems advertisers have caught on to this and typically half the ads I see should have an epilepsy warning or something before they show.

And using TV to forget your drinking problem only to be visually assaulted by rotgut advertising. It can get disgusting.

NeoSeeker fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Jun 21, 2022

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

has anyone been able to stomach an episode of irma vep yet. I tried

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Seeing ads makes me feel like a drat sucker. I might put up with Amazon's dumbass preroll ads or the occasional full color loudmouth during a 3am viewing of Perry Mason, but they all make me feel like poo poo.