Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.

Pekinduck posted:

My college cafeteria would use watered-down tomato paste on french fries instead of ketchup.

Good god, I think people have been sent to the gulag for this kind of poo poo. Name and shame.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Pekinduck posted:

My college cafeteria would use watered-down tomato paste on french fries instead of ketchup.

Are you an alumni of clown college

I feel like ketchup is just cheaper

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

yeah fannie farmer revolutionized home cooking instruction but that was like 150 years ago, i wish we would move on to a purely weight based system of measurement to remove any remaining vestiges of ambiguity. measuring things that aren't liquid/powder by spoons and cups is a standout bad practice that comes to mind

Lol imagine weighing every ingredient. Hard pass on that

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
The concept is you put the mixing bowl on the scale and weigh ingredients directly into it

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Wait what place even puts condiments on your fries for you? Shouldn't that just be left up to you? Like it's just poured on top? How the gently caress do you eat that without looking like a sauce covered animal

Aesop Poprock fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Jun 20, 2022

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Aesop Poprock posted:

Wait what place even puts condiments on your fries for you? Shouldn't that just be left up to you? Like it's just poured on top? How the gently caress do you eat that without looking like a sauce covered animal

Become the fry beast, Aesop.

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!

Aesop Poprock posted:

Clearly a country that doesn't like FREEDOM

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

It appears Hunts uses citric acid instead of actual vinegar for tartness so that might be the difference. I compared sugar content and most brands are the same at around 4g per serving. Almost every other brand I looked at had vinegar except for Hunts.

The best ketchup goes harder on the vinegar and way lighter on the suger. Much nicer that way, especially for cooking.

It's not to hard to make a nice ketchup type sauce at home and it's definitely better that way if only because it doesn't have to be shelf stable.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Literally A Person posted:

Become the fry beast, Aesop.

I literally got laughed at in middle school by some friends because I would just shove fries in ketchup and smash them into my face at McDonald's so I already was that beast

I was a growing boy and could not stop eating it wasn't my fault I just had no couth

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

Computer viking posted:

It adds a clear taste to something otherwise intensely plain - it's not a very complex taste, but a bit of tomato and vinegar is more than nothing. Parsley butter would also be good, of course. Pesto, too - or just some black pepper.

On the other hand, ketchup fills a certain niche where you just want to know ahead of time that you will get a predictable, non-bad, taste. Less important the more you trust your cooking, of course.

Keep in mind that this friend is white and from northwest Indiana and, at the time, probably considered flour a spice. Also, she was pretty desperately poor at the time.

I haven't tasted her cooking lately but the pictures look much tastier these days.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I can't be the only person who weighed like 135lbs in middle school and highschool who just devoured triple cheeseburgers that weighed like 2 lbs but never put on weight

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Aesop Poprock posted:

I can't be the only person who weighed like 135lbs in middle school and highschool who just devoured triple cheeseburgers that weighed like 2 lbs but never put on weight

gently caress. You.

Also, I am married to one of you.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Anne Whateley posted:

The concept is you put the mixing bowl on the scale and weigh ingredients directly into it

I find it less annoying than having to get out the measuing cups

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Literally A Person posted:

gently caress. You.

Also, I am married to one of you.

I weigh like 155 now so I did put on weight eventually although I still look like a 20 year old

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard
Leftovers of the exact same poor quality beef chuck roast that I had had the previous time I was a guest at my mother's house. 7 days prior.

When we refused to eat it (she had invited my siblings and I over for dinner and that is what she served) she put it back in the fridge.

She later told us that she invited a friend over the next day to "help her eat it".

Here you go friend, some 8 day old leftovers that have already been cooked, then sat at room temperature, then refrigerated for a week, then reheated, allowed to cool to room temperature again, then refrigerated again, then reheated again for you. Bon appetit!

I literally wouldn't have given that food to my dog at that point.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Uncle Enzo posted:

Leftovers of the exact same poor quality beef chuck roast that I had had the previous time I was a guest at my mother's house. 7 days prior.

When we refused to eat it (she had invited my siblings and I over for dinner and that is what she served) she put it back in the fridge.

She later told us that she invited a friend over the next day to "help her eat it".

Here you go friend, some 8 day old leftovers that have already been cooked, then sat at room temperature, then refrigerated for a week, then reheated, allowed to cool to room temperature again, then refrigerated again, then reheated again for you. Bon appetit!

I literally wouldn't have given that food to my dog at that point.

My grandma had a habit for years of washing off deli meat if it was slimy and i'm pretty sure it's just from growing up on a farm where her parents raised her during the depression and I probably ate it tons of times as a kid without realizing it because I lived with my parents at their house until I was like 5

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay
A girl invited me over for dinner and served me plain lettuce as a salad, underbaked bread, unseasoned roasted lamb and overdone potatoes. Nothing was salted.

LordoftheScheisse
Jan 16, 2016
Probably plain Lay's potato chips with a regular-rear end yellow mustard "dip." Actually wasn't bad, but c'mon.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Improbable Lobster posted:

The best ketchup goes harder on the vinegar and way lighter on the suger. Much nicer that way, especially for cooking.

It's not to hard to make a nice ketchup type sauce at home and it's definitely better that way if only because it doesn't have to be shelf stable.

I buy the organic store brand and it’s really good, more vinegar than sugar. If I’m dipping fries or whatever in it I mix some good hot sauce in.

run on sentience
Mar 22, 2022
A friend's mom liked to make her "famous" pancakes if you slept over. They were burnt to a dark brown/black on the outside and completely raw on the inside. She got mad when another friend pointed this out, so I ended up just eating the outer edge as it was the only edible part. She made them again the next time and I faked illness and went home to get out of it. Did not stay there overnight again.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

LordoftheScheisse posted:

Probably plain Lay's potato chips with a regular-rear end yellow mustard "dip." Actually wasn't bad, but c'mon.

That just sounds like a gross but normal drunk night snack if you're too lazy to actually make anything.

Honestly it's sounding better the more I think about it

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

run on sentience posted:

A friend's mom liked to make her "famous" pancakes if you slept over. They were burnt to a dark brown/black on the outside and completely raw on the inside. She got mad when another friend pointed this out, so I ended up just eating the outer edge as it was the only edible part. She made them again the next time and I faked illness and went home to get out of it. Did not stay there overnight again.

I don't understand how you gently caress up pancakes. They take less than five minutes to make and you can just watch them and flip them once

run on sentience
Mar 22, 2022
I am assuming the pan was too hot so like immediately burnt the outside before the inside could cook.

timefly
Apr 29, 2008

pro starcraft loser posted:

Is...is this not an option for some quick, cheap pasta? :(

Yeah they're saying that it's easy to make an amazing cheap pasta dish like that without using ketchup as a sauce.

When I was 13 or so, a neighbor invited me over for a "fancy dinner" days in advance, every time I saw her she kept talking it up, telling me to make sure not to eat lunch that day because it was gonna be a feast!

She very ceremoniously served me: watery instant mashed potatoes, dry undercooked chicken, and raw broccoli on a paper plate. No butter, oil, salt, or seasoning of any kind. When she saw that I was having trouble forcing myself to finish it all, she got VERY upset and offended and threw everything in the trash, then ordered me to go home. She immediately called my mom to tell her how horribly rude I had been and demanded I be punished severely lol. But everyone knew she was crazy, so.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Aesop Poprock posted:

Is it though? A can of crushed tomatoes can be as cheap as 50¢ and ketchup is generally like four times that price.

Looking at the cheapest store brand of both, ketchup is about half the price per weight compared to canned diced tomatoes here. Switch to name brand ketchup vs store brand tomato, and they're roughly the same.

But this is probably very dependent on where you live.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Aesop Poprock posted:

I don't understand how you gently caress up pancakes. They take less than five minutes to make and you can just watch them and flip them once

Some people are incapable of critical thought or learning anything. It's like color blindness.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Outrail posted:

Some people are incapable of critical thought or learning anything. It's like color blindness.

I wonder how these people feel about life - are they just permanently angry at all those nosy know-it-alls who try to correct them? Do they feel a smug superiority about looking through the lies about how DIY is easy and often better?

Or on the contrary, are they self-assuredly happy, secure in the knowledge that they know how to do stuff?

Burning Beard
Nov 21, 2008

Choking on bits of fallen bread crumbs
Oh, this burning beard, I have come undone
It's just as I've feared. I have, I have come undone
Bugger dumb the last of academe

One day, I was depressed. I wanted stupid cheap junk food. Taco Bell, ahoy.

I order two Chulupa's and a soft taco. Plus a diet coke, becasue that will prevent me from being fat, right?!

I get home and open my meal, excited.

Those motherfuckers gave me some sort of loving vegetarian thing and a vegetarian taco no meat, not even any loving beans. I WAS sad. I threw it away, drank the diet coke and had some lunch meat. gently caress Taco Bell. Taco John's for the win.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Computer viking posted:

I wonder how these people feel about life - are they just permanently angry at all those nosy know-it-alls who try to correct them? Do they feel a smug superiority about looking through the lies about how DIY is easy and often better?

Or on the contrary, are they self-assuredly happy, secure in the knowledge that they know how to do stuff?

Alternating between cow-like acceptance and contentment, and sheep-like mad panic and confusion.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Burning Beard posted:

I order two Chulupa's and a soft taco. Plus a diet coke, becasue that will prevent me from being fat, right?!

Those motherfuckers gave me some sort of loving vegetarian thing and a vegetarian taco no meat, not even any loving beans. I WAS sad. I threw it away, drank the diet coke and had some lunch meat. gently caress Taco Bell. Taco John's for the win.

lol

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

Burning Beard posted:

Taco Bell more like TACO BULLSHIT

Yolo Swaggins Esq
Jan 29, 2015

oOoOoh 👀 a dapper little mouse🎩 🐀🕺🏻🕺🏻 a dAppER MoUSe🧐🐀 🚶🏿‍♂️🚶🏿‍♂️it’s a 🎩DAPPER mouse 👀✔️🐀🥾🏃🏽‍♂️🕺🏻🕺🏻🕺🏻🏃🏽‍♂️🐀💥
I once stayed over at a friend's place on a school night, and for breakfast their dad left out a big platter with a whole rear end loaf of breads worth of toast, toasted to dark-brown-black.
Each piece was cold and thickly smeared with either Marmite or Vegemite. No butter.
With no way to tell which toast had which spread until you ate it.
I never stayed over at theirs again.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Burning Beard posted:

Honestly I feel legit bad about this because there's nothing worse than deciding to have a fast food day and they gently caress it up entirely

I mean I don't blame the workers but it's still a bummer

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Wait what is a vegetarian meal at taco bell without beans? Like just lettuce and tomato chunks?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
you had a taco without meat and also had meat and threw the taco away and just ate the meat

lol

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
When I was a kid, my family roadtripped to Florida along with my sister's boyfriend. We stopped at a Denny's somewhere between St. Louis and Orlando and he ordered a Moons Over My Hammy.

I myself don't remember what it looked like exactly, but I know he didn't eat it and we've been making a green eggs and ham joke for 25 years.

Doctor Dogballs
Apr 1, 2007

driving the fuck truck from hand land to pound town without stopping at suction station

Aesop Poprock posted:

Wait what is a vegetarian meal at taco bell without beans? Like just lettuce and tomato chunks?

lettuce, tomato, cheese, beans, guac, sour cream, rice, in a burrito.

Doctor Dogballs fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Jun 21, 2022

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

old bean factory posted:

Cheap 'broke student' meal here in Denmark would be a pile of spaghetti slathered with ketchup and with the finest parmesan in a can on top. At least that's what my cousin and his friends swore by.

It was jokingly regerred to as ’pasta rosso’ among broke Swedish students.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Outrail posted:

If you turn the burner up to 10 it cooks FASTER duh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burning Beard
Nov 21, 2008

Choking on bits of fallen bread crumbs
Oh, this burning beard, I have come undone
It's just as I've feared. I have, I have come undone
Bugger dumb the last of academe

Aesop Poprock posted:

The thing I got as the main dish wasn’t even a taco. It was in a tray and had lettuce, tomato, cheese and onion. Some sour cream. It was some sort of custom order. I mean, the workers obviously gave me the wrong order and it’s also on me for not checking but still, I just wanted lovely Taco Bell.