Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own
Yeah, face culture has had an effect on Domestic violence. It's treated as "none of your business" and "victim blaming". Hell, when two of my colleagues got sexually assaulted by the same guy last year, my foreign boss, who went full native, slut shamed them to save her job.

Women hold up half the sky, if they know what is good for them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
:smith:

Hong Kong’s Iconic Jumbo Restaurant Capsizes in South China Sea

quote:

Hong Kong’s iconic Jumbo Floating Restaurant capsized on Sunday after facing adverse conditions in the South China Sea.

The incident occurred when the floating restaurant passed the Xisha Islands in the South China Sea, resulting in water entering the vessel before it began to tip, owner Aberdeen Restaurant Enterprises Ltd. said in a statement. No crew members were injured, it said.

Aberdeen Restaurant is “very saddened by this accident,” according to the statement. “The company is now getting further details of the accident from the towing company.”

The Jumbo restaurant, an iconic tourist destination in Hong Kong for decades, was forced to shut down operations in the wake of the coronavirus pandemic. It was towed away from Hong Kong on June 14.

Very sad.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.

Never tip the waiter, never tip the restaurant.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

This would have been a disaster of epic proportions if it had been full of people at the time. I guess coronavirus actually ended up saving some lives. :v:

Rabelais D
Dec 11, 2012

ts'u nnu k'u k'o t'khye:
A demon doth defecate at thy door
Well, except it was never supposed to be sailing around while full of patrons, it was always just an overpriced tourist trap with the "novelty" of having to take a small boat to actually get on and off a junk heap floating in the harbour. Good riddance I say!

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Devils Affricate posted:

This would have been a disaster of epic proportions if it had been full of people at the time. I guess coronavirus actually ended up saving some lives. :v:

I mean, it looks like the reason why it was out on the open ocean getting towed and thus being in a position to capsize in the first place was because the owners had to sell it after it consistently lost money due to coronavirus restrictions, otherwise it would still be sitting nice and safe in its protected harbor sooooo call it even for coronavirus?

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

Rabelais D posted:

Well, except it was never supposed to be sailing around while full of patrons, it was always just an overpriced tourist trap with the "novelty" of having to take a small boat to actually get on and off a junk heap floating in the harbour. Good riddance I say!

Oh ok, that makes sense. I figured it kind of functioned as a cruise ship.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

rip to a real one. Looking forward to the PLAN putting some missiles on it and calling it a new island.

Smeef
Aug 15, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Pillbug
Jumbo sinking is some sort of really multilayered metaphor that I’m still figuring out. I imagine it will only get better as it emerges that it was an insurance fraud scheme.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Smeef posted:

Jumbo sinking is some sort of really multilayered metaphor that I’m still figuring out. I imagine it will only get better as it emerges that it was an insurance fraud scheme.

Frankly it would be disappointing if it doesn't turn out to be an insurance scheme

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

It's hard to imagine it not being insurance fraud.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Smeef posted:

My immediate first thought.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

It COULD be insurance fraud, but to be honest just looking at the drat thing it doesn't look at all designed for open waters. I'd hate to be on board that thing in anything like a seaway at all, let alone real bad weather. That's not to say it's NOT insurance fraud, but if it was I don't think they really needed to do anything more nefarious than "order it to go to sea in anything but a predicted weeks-long flat calm."

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

A combination of incompetence and insurance fraud. It was supposed to "accidentally burn down" but it sank due to negligent towing practices before that could happen.

Zakrello
Feb 17, 2015

missile imbound

pretty much HK in a nutshell

and I bet the owner knew what would happen towing a boat not built for open sea voyage, happy insurance money with no dismantle fee.

last time a similar restaurant use boat being relocated, it is being craned and sit on another open-sea transporter vessel.

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

mikerock posted:

A combination of incompetence and insurance fraud. It was supposed to "accidentally burn down" but it sank due to negligent towing practices before that could happen.

hmmm

yeah I bet insurance fraud

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Chow Yun Fat dove through it with guns akimbo and the bullet holes made it take on water

PITY BONER
Oct 18, 2021

This dude still sucks, but this image also still makes me laugh.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

for real am i crazy or was there an actual john woo movie action scene in the restaurant boat

big time bisexual
Oct 16, 2002

Cool Party

"Imagine how happy all the fish will be"

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.

big time bisexual posted:

"Imagine how happy all the fish will be"

Legit looking forward to photos of a coral-encrusted restaurant in a decade's time.

Smeef
Aug 15, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Pillbug

Atopian posted:

Legit looking forward to photos of a coral-encrusted restaurant in a decade's time.

It sank where the depth was like 1000m, so let’s just hope it didn’t crack open some kaiju lair.

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

Smeef posted:

It sank where the depth was like 1000m, so let’s just hope it didn’t crack open some kaiju lair.

This post reminded of the scene in "Pacific Rim" where Ron Perlman is the shady mafia guy in Hong Kong who's collecting all of the kaiju scraps and lice, presumably for some high potency TCM and hot pot

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Tomn posted:

It COULD be insurance fraud, but to be honest just looking at the drat thing it doesn't look at all designed for open waters. I'd hate to be on board that thing in anything like a seaway at all, let alone real bad weather. That's not to say it's NOT insurance fraud, but if it was I don't think they really needed to do anything more nefarious than "order it to go to sea in anything but a predicted weeks-long flat calm."

if you a person on the internet can immediately see what a bad idea this was then the multitude of people with industry-specific experience could also see it and chose to ignore it for ~~ reasons~~

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Smeef posted:

1km deep... in the scs? :psyduck:

How strangely unfortunate it sinks deeply in one of the shallowest bodies of water on the entire planet. Tell me again, what coordinates was this exactly Mr. "hard-to-investigate" Wu?

For real are there coordinates? Google fails me rn

E. See, this is what you get when you're dumb, you mix up the topography of the east china sea and the south china sea and you have to go lie down now because how :stonkhat:

ThisIsJohnWayne fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Jun 22, 2022

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

insurance fraud with chinese characteristics

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

if you a person on the internet can immediately see what a bad idea this was then the multitude of people with industry-specific experience could also see it and chose to ignore it for ~~ reasons~~

Well, I AM someone with industry-specific experience as it happens, albeit not usually on vessels of that size. That being said, I note that while it doesn't look like a good boat in bad weather, apparently one of the barges that made up the Floating Kingdom WAS successfully transferred from Hong Kong to Manila in the past, so it CAN be successfully towed overseas - but I imagine the big caveat is "in good weather." So again, it could have been deliberate insurance fraud by setting out at a time when the weather was known to be unstable, or it could have just been bad luck, bad planning, or desperation that led to the boat heading out at a time when the seas are choppy. Unfortunately weather prediction is still a bit of an inexact science at times and depending on how much money the ship was burning through in maintenance and harbor fees in Hong Kong they might not have been able to wait for a better weather window and decided to gamble.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
So how was the food on the Jumbo anyway?

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
Safe to say you could find better elsewhere in HK but two decades ago I had fun there being a tourist. Just another symbol of the old Hong Kong that won't ever come back.

OGS-Remix
Sep 4, 2007

Totally surviving on my own. On LAND!
I remember playing that level in BF4. It could sink as well as part of the in-game map change lol.

Fumble
Sep 4, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!

mikerock posted:

Turns out the Kitchen part had all ready sank in the harbour a few weeks ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9icuG6p9c0A

Apparently China had something go bang last October.

https://eurasiantimes.com/satellite-image-captures-destroyed-facility-at-chinese-satellite-launch/

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

Fumble posted:

Turns out the Kitchen part had all ready sank in the harbour a few weeks ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9icuG6p9c0A

Apparently China had something go bang last October.

https://eurasiantimes.com/satellite-image-captures-destroyed-facility-at-chinese-satellite-launch/

Is it possible for buildings to invoke the uncanny valley? That thing looked like a cool Chinese palace from far away but the closer the camera got the more it started looking like a cheap carnival fun house.

IT BURNS
Nov 19, 2012

Devils Affricate posted:

Is it possible for buildings to invoke the uncanny valley? That thing looked like a cool Chinese palace from far away but the closer the camera got the more it started looking like a cheap carnival fun house.

Kind of like visiting China, except a cheap carnival fun house (Shanghai Disneyland) it's a surveillance state.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

nobody wants to eat on a boat that's wet

cuz it sounds like it's on the 4th floor

Hardawn
Mar 15, 2004

Don't look at the sun, but rather what it illuminates
College Slice
I mean I'd eat at a place that has ankle deep water, but why more is dancing with absurdity.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
nah thats a different gimmick in a different country

https://www.usatoday.com/videos/news/have-you-seen/2018/09/24/vietnam-cafe-ankle-deep-water-and-fish/1413589002/

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

tbf china probably wants to pull a ukraine on vietnam too

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
I was imagining the footage of guys making noodles while standing in ankle-deep gray water in Kowloon so I'm glad to see that video

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
I've always wanted to try one of those pedicures where they put your feet into a bowl of little fish that eat away the dead skin. Can you get that in the US or do they have some kind of bullshit law that protects animals from being used as tools?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Unfortunately you can't autoclave fish, so that method can be a bit infectious.