Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

ReidRansom posted:

You know what, I'm just gonna ask here. What's with all the Barbies

Ukraine-related D&D/C-SPAM idiocy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aw frig aw dang it
Jun 1, 2018

CaptainSarcastic posted:

WTF is "full protection from impermanent loss?" Are they guaranteeing that any losses are forever?

"Impermanent loss" is one of the DeFi buzzwords. It's irrelevant if you aren't involved in that garbage, but it's basically when you add liquidity to a trading pair and their values go the wrong direction.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Stefan Prodan posted:

Back in the day last year sometime this thing was offering literally 8000% APR, now I think it's "only" a few hundred % APR if you stake with them

https://www.olympusdao.finance/

at 8000% APR you can just put $100 in there and be rich in a few years!!! how can you not just jam it all in there

I’d gamble :10bux: on that, knowing I’ll probably lose it

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

aw frig aw dang it posted:

"Impermanent loss" is one of the DeFi buzzwords. It's irrelevant if you aren't involved in that garbage, but it's basically when you add liquidity to a trading pair and their values go the wrong direction.

Actually, that's where shady loving options people came in. LP related things, impermanent loss, etc. Is basically options trading. So the term might be coined but that's what they are. Just worse because the math behind balancing is hosed, as they added *fees* as a benefit, which imbalance even further.

There was a calc on it but the summary is even with $100k into an LP, $100 orders will cause impermanent loss quickly whenever price doesn't return exactly to neutral (and never will). It's that inefficient.

Just saw the nutso maximalists post this:

https://youtu.be/7daw_Piw-Vs

wtf.

notwithoutmyanus fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Jun 21, 2022

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

I had a lovely bit of bitcoin schadenfreude tonight

Back in 2018, I had a run in with a crypto CEO called Dave Mata on Derek Smart's facebook wall, where he insulted my disability when I called his company Block Bits Capital LLC a scam.

He called me wheels due to my wheelchair, which is no biggie, but he was also hugely arrogant in his defence of his company, which was clearly a scam (back then, it was focussing on helping ICO's scam victims).

I was reminded of him tonight and decided to google his company. It was good timing, as he's recently been taken to court by the SEC for fraud.

I found that old 2018 facebook thread on Derek's wall tonight, tagged Dave in the reply linking to the SEC docs and really enjoyed lol'ing at him.

fuctifino fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Jun 21, 2022

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

CaptainSarcastic posted:

WTF is "full protection from impermanent loss?" Are they guaranteeing that any losses are forever?

I doubt any of their users have any idea what it means

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

fuctifino posted:

Back in 2018, I had a run in with a crypto CEO called Dave Mata on Derek Smart's facebook wall, where he insulted my disability when I called his company Block Bits Capital LLC a scam.

He called me wheels due to my wheelchair, which is no biggie, but he was also hugely arrogant in his defence of his clearly company, which was clearly a scam (back then, it was focussing on helping ICO's scam victims).

I was reminded of him tonight and decided to google his company. It was good timing, as he's recently been taken to court by the SEC for fraud.

I found that old 2018 facebook thread on Derek's wall tonight, tagged Dave in the reply linking to the SEC docs and really enjoyed lol'ing at him.
Please tell us if/when he responds

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

is derek smart still a bit of a jerk or has he mellowed out.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

titty_baby_ posted:

Please tell us if/when he responds

I doubt he'll post a thing now that he's actually being sued, and has no defence. If he has any sense he'll say nothing.... but.... well....

I'll be sure to update the thread if he does :)

Strong Sauce posted:

Derek is Derek. I quite like him. He's probably still and will always be a bit of a jerk.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

fuctifino posted:

He called me wheels due to my wheelchair, which is no biggie, but he was also hugely arrogant in his defence of his clearly company, which was clearly a scam (back then, it was focussing on helping ICO's scam victims).

That is hilarious. It almost reads like:

quote:

Dillman also misrepresented to Block Bits investors that it was not a scam.

Narrator: It was a scam.

VeganEverestDeath
May 1, 2017

Strong Sauce posted:

Say his name two more times and find out.

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING

BornAPoorBlkChild posted:

the "Funds are Safu" binance ceo meme is so loving stupid it has completely solidified my hatred of these morons :bang:

We'll see how many "frens" they have once they start getting rounded up by whatever entities that want their (real) money.

I hate the whole thing

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Zopotantor posted:

Quand j′ai couru porter mon imprimante à Marinette…
:perfect:

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

fuctifino posted:

I doubt he'll post a thing now that he's actually being sued, and has no defence. If he has any sense he'll say nothing.... but.... well....

I'll be sure to update the thread if he does :)

Derek is Derek. I quite like him. He's probably still and will always be a bit of a jerk.

Derek Smart's Desktop Commander was my introduction to Something Awful.

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007
I know a few people who have had really terrible business interactions with Derek Smart. I'd definitely avoid getting involved in anything he is a part of.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

i think someone mentioned the Celsius short squeeze earlier, but this is truly insane

https://twitter.com/EdTech_Padre/status/1538879383682818048

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
What exchanges are ppl shorting cel or for that matter any crypto?

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Booyah- posted:

i think someone mentioned the Celsius short squeeze earlier, but this is truly insane

https://twitter.com/EdTech_Padre/status/1538879383682818048

Cultists gonna cult. :shrug:

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

BornAPoorBlkChild posted:

the "Funds are Safu" binance ceo meme is so loving stupid it has completely solidified my hatred of these morons :bang:

Are you referring to this thing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DelF6zEHXpE

Because it makes me laugh still

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
situation normal, funds safu

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

Savings All Funged Up :(

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
I accidentally broke a new pair of glasses that I ordered online recently and I was really depressed that I was out like $35 or whatever but then I remembered this thread and these folks and it helped me mentally contextualize/compartmentalize my loss. Thanks for the healing, posters itt

(I’m being 100% sincere)

small butter
Oct 8, 2011

fuctifino posted:

He called me wheels due to my wheelchair, which is no biggie, but he was also hugely arrogant in his defence of his company, which was clearly a scam (back then, it was focussing on helping ICO's scam victims).

What a piece of poo poo. And good job!

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

syntaxfunction posted:

Savings All Funged Up :(

i think my doge is sick

Rad Russian
Aug 15, 2007

Soviet Power Supreme!

Shaocaholica posted:

What exchanges are ppl shorting cel or for that matter any crypto?

Many exchanges like Binance allow you to short sell crypto (and do put options as well). They only allow it for specific large coins like BTC and Eth so I doubt they allow CEL, although someone who is touching the poop needs to confirm if CEL is offered to borrow.

Regardless if it's even possible, scammers are screaming "massive short attack!" so that idiots throw even more money into buying CEL to try and save the funds that were already rug pulled (while not being able to withdraw anything).

pray for my aunt
Feb 13, 2012

14980c8b8a96fd9e279796a61cf82c9c
Shorting CEL at this point is pointless as it's already at rock bottom. Anyone who thinks a CEL short squeeze will happen is even more delusional than the GME folks, who are already ludicrous caricatures of a day trader.

LazyArtistry
Oct 11, 2002

Creating disasters and running away from them since 1981.

CaptainSarcastic posted:

That is hilarious. It almost reads like:

Holy poo poo, if this David is who I think it is, I worked with him back in the day on some game dev poo poo.

Can't say I'm terribly surprised he's in crypto and now this. LoL small world.

Tafferling
Oct 22, 2008

DOOT DOOT
ALL ABOARD THE ISS POLOKONZERVA

Heath posted:

Are you referring to this thing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DelF6zEHXpE

Because it makes me laugh still

Bizonacci was the best thing to come out of bitcoin

PITY BONER
Oct 18, 2021
Anyone wants to guess what happens to BTC tomorrow morning when the regular markets open again? I'm guessing we'll be seeing $17k again (or lower) within a day. If all these whale accounts and coin exchanges have been washing the return to $20k like has been speculated, then a hearty LOL.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
The death of the Bogdanoff twins hit me hard

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UGnbiBDmuBI

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
https://twitter.com/ted_ds/status/1539056984166645760?s=20&t=swjQiu6zmtcC5U193Dy99w

PITY BONER
Oct 18, 2021
Ahaha, ayyy, it's your boy... uhh,skinny penis the mayor of Miami learning how to treat governmental and tax funds like a ponzi scheme.

https://twitter.com/cz_binance/status/1538967795953704965

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
I can’t wait until they’re both underwater.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

GodDamnArtist posted:

Holy poo poo, if this David is who I think it is, I worked with him back in the day on some game dev poo poo.

Can't say I'm terribly surprised he's in crypto and now this. LoL small world.

Yeah, it'll 100% be the same guy. I think games dev is how Derek knows him.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

fuctifino posted:

:lol:

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

notwithoutmyanus posted:

Just saw the nutso maximalists post this:

https://youtu.be/7daw_Piw-Vs

wtf.

Why is this guy shouting in an empty room

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Why's the fuckin number going up and not down :mad:

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

Number went below $20k, people trying to pump so it doesn't go completely flat immediately. Stays under $20k for too long and for a lot of people it's over. The people with cash still in it can't let that happen, so they're doing as much as they can to keep it above.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
lol watch this stupid dumbass bullshit jump to $100k by the end of the year. Nothing good ever happens.