Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which game was the best?
Ace Combat Zero: The Belkan War
Ace Combat 2
Ace Combat: Assault Horizon Legacy
Ace Combat 04: Shattered Skies
Ace Combat 5: The Unsung War
Ace Combat 6: Fires of Liberation
Ace Combat 7: Skies Unknown
Ace Combat X: Skies of Deception
Ace Combat 3: Electrosphere
SHOOT VISARI
View Results

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Dr. Snark posted:

"Alright boys, upper command wants to get a good propaganda shot for this plane. Now we need you to lie down on the ground while saluting, trust me it will look great on the camera. Pilots, this is gonna be a bit more complicated for you..."

Yeah I get that it's a CG image but still.

Also while I hate what you did with Archange, the editing especially timed with the railgun fire means I'm willing to forgive it :colbert:

I mean, that's a real thing that various air forces have done recently:

It's apparently called the "Tetris Challenge".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Also for folks on the new page:

:siren::siren:MISSION 18 UPDATE:siren::siren:

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Yeah, I was going to say. The Tetris challenge was a real thing that happened a year ago or something.
There was a lot more than just military aircraft but also fire trucks and ambulance crews doing it. Even an archeological team as a really odd one out.

Cooked Auto fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Jun 20, 2022

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I'M SORRY, OK!? I admit I've made some mistakes, and Jones has clearly paid for them.
But ma'am! Jones' only crime was looking at the wrong files!
I beg of you, don't ship away Jones, he has a wife and kids!

-United Nations Intelligence Service

Cooked Auto posted:

Yeah, I was going to say. The Tetris challenge was a real thing that happened a year ago or something.
There was a lot more than just military aircraft but also fire trucks and ambulance crews doing it. Even an archeological team as a really odd one out.

Right around the time the game would have been released then. Fair fair, I genuinely did not know that was a thing.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Death Stranding referenced this trend in some of its promo materials!

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Dr. Snark posted:

Right around the time the game would have been released then. Fair fair, I genuinely did not know that was a thing.

Oh having them actually sit like they are pantomiming sitting in the plane like it's that one game on Whose Line is it anyway is ABSOLUTELY hilarious, will back you up on that

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Feels like Lost Kingdom and Tyler Island should've been switched in order, but I guess they wanted blowing Mihaly out of the sky to still be fresh when you go into the final two.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Oh, I see you're talking about the video that literally got me into Ace Combat lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SGZJnLYvio0

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I'm guessing the reason most AC boss planes use super acceleration and turns to force "jousts" with the player is that if you just give them regular AI and good stats most players (who don't play flight sims and don't know dogfighting maneuvers, or use the arcade controls) are just going to get into a boring turning contest with them.

It's also a less immersion-damaging way to pace the fights so they can deliver their dialog than actually making them invincible.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Jun 20, 2022

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

I think it finally clicked as to why Mihaly hasn't really sunk in as the rival character for me: his presence in the overall game is extremely low for such a character. Yes, he's appeared in a great number of cutscenes and has had plenty of time devoted to establishing him as a character in the game. But, his rivalry with Trigger just kind of spontaneously grows out of thin air during the Plane Jail arc and feels hollow, right up to this mission which is framed as this grand final battle between Trigger and Mihaly. Hell, Count has felt more like the rival character to Trigger than Mihaly has to me because Count has had a more prominent presence looming over Trigger's journey compared to Mihaly; constantly butting heads with Trigger, trying to one-up Trigger whenever he can, and acting like a cocky hot-shot that fits the rival character description. Mihaly, on the other hand, has just been there in the story and it is only because the game has (poorly) told us he is the main rival that we identify with him as the rival. And now that he's been defeated for good, the victory just feels hollow and empty, like crossing off an item on a checklist rather than the culmination of a long struggle for Trigger.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
the arkbirds are the rival

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I'M SORRY, OK!? I admit I've made some mistakes, and Jones has clearly paid for them.
But ma'am! Jones' only crime was looking at the wrong files!
I beg of you, don't ship away Jones, he has a wife and kids!

-United Nations Intelligence Service

AradoBalanga posted:

I think it finally clicked as to why Mihaly hasn't really sunk in as the rival character for me: his presence in the overall game is extremely low for such a character. Yes, he's appeared in a great number of cutscenes and has had plenty of time devoted to establishing him as a character in the game. But, his rivalry with Trigger just kind of spontaneously grows out of thin air during the Plane Jail arc and feels hollow, right up to this mission which is framed as this grand final battle between Trigger and Mihaly. Hell, Count has felt more like the rival character to Trigger than Mihaly has to me because Count has had a more prominent presence looming over Trigger's journey compared to Mihaly; constantly butting heads with Trigger, trying to one-up Trigger whenever he can, and acting like a cocky hot-shot that fits the rival character description. Mihaly, on the other hand, has just been there in the story and it is only because the game has (poorly) told us he is the main rival that we identify with him as the rival. And now that he's been defeated for good, the victory just feels hollow and empty, like crossing off an item on a checklist rather than the culmination of a long struggle for Trigger.

That all is definitely a consequence of the fact that Mihaly is - by design and intent - a very dispassionate character for better and for worse. By all accounts while he was fascinated by Trigger's performance, he never took it as an insult to his pride or anything like that - he was another ace that would inevitably die by his hands. He does say outright that he's fought and killed a fair few aces like Trigger throughout his long career, why would this one be any different?

As a mirror character to an Ace Combat protagonist that attitude fits perfectly; how many players actually bat an eye at the various named planes they shoot down anyway? But as a rival it does make him less relevant in a game where there are many different threads competing for a player's attention and by the time you properly fight him he's barely even a bit player in the grand scheme of things.

There is more I wanna get into on this, but that relies on some things still to come.

Kal-L
Jan 18, 2005

Heh... Spider-man... Web searches... That's funny. I should've trademarked that one. Could've made a mint.

Mr.Flibble posted:

I don't remember that episode but in another one Cobra steals the Joe's Vehicles for a false flag operation and the Joe's end up stealing Cobra's Vehicles to stop them and Wild Bill does does a loop In a Cobra Helicopter that astonishes a Cobra pilot flying in a stolen Joe Chopper.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BpjaenoZ4pA&t=1100s

Oh, yeah! That's the one. I was mixing it with another episode.

"Alright guys, the base commander wants a group photo of our top secret aircraft and all the pilots to hang behind his desk. Now, all you be here at 0700 hours in your full flight suit and helmets."

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

AradoBalanga posted:

I mean, three boss fights across 20 missions is certainly more than a lot of other alleged rival characters in the franchise get in their games. Yellow Squadron is encountered four times in 04 (five if you count Megalith, but that's after Yellow 13's dead), there are no repeat boss fights in Zero, and Pixy disappeared for nearly half the game before you finally fight him, Ofnir and Grabacr get like one fight each separately and then one fight at the end of the game in 5, and the Pasternak, the absolute bottom of the barrel, gets 2 cutscenes dedicated to him, one boss fight, and then he's dead and gone and his characterization consists entirely of "I look pretty and want to fight Garuda Team--oh no, I'm dead now :zombie:"

Compared to most of that, I at least appreciate the amount of work 7 puts into Mihaly. Your mileage may vary on whether he's a good "rival" to Trigger, but he is a fantastic foil to Trigger at the very least.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
The best thing is getting the Strike Wyvern for yourself and then firing at anything that looks at you funny with experimental railguns.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

I think my main source of disconnect is the leap from Mihaly using his Su-30 to Mihaly pulling out a tricked out X-02 Wyvern to fight Trigger out of the blue. To me, the jump from a standard issue plane to a super plane feels like there should have been something in between Farbanti and this mission to explain why Mihaly decided to employ such aggressive tactics. Mihaly has something going for him as a character, but I keep expecting more to him than what is presented for some reason. And given that the game fell into development hell, I wonder if that plot beat/characterization got swallowed up during that time.

But yes, I do agree that Mihaly is a huge improvement from the likes of Pasternak, who is a wonderful insult to cardboard cutouts. I can at least say that Mihaly leaves an in-universe impact on Trigger/the LRSSG, whereas Pasternak talks big but ultimately faceplants into "Who the gently caress are you, again?" for Talisman.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Hell, even Shamrock literally goes "Huh? Who ARE you?" when Pasternak breaks in over the radio starts ranting about the real war just beginning.

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice
Okay, I had a whole big wall of text here, but ultimately it comes down to my view that Mihay's fights feel bad and frustrating because he draws attention to his bullshit, making it more clear rather than hiding it. Just big neon letters saying 'I've got plot armor, motherfuckers'. Just watch as Crow hits him with like four missiles at once, doesn't land a hit for a long time due to scripting, then smash cut to cutscene with a single bullet. Playing against him just feels bad.

Yeah, that is pretty normal, boring opinion on Mihay, but the other part is that I find Sulejmani, the final boss of Joint Assault, who notably has plot armor as he spouts off his entire backstory mid-mission, is a better feeling fight than Mihay. Partly because of the clunky, obvious way they tried to disguise it through giving him a (single) bullshit dodge move to keep you from hitting him during it, and how obvious it is in retrospect that this was what they were trying to do there. To be fair to Project Aces, it really is hard to hide your bullshit when the player squadron can be up to four Player Characters in super planes, so the whole thing being obvious was inevitable for that game.

On the other hand you've got Pixy, where they draw massive attention to his invincibility in a cutscene just to make sure you get your thematic awesome final boss fight, and that works really well.

Mihay is just really a fumble on the gameplay side of it, to the point of a meme about his invulnerability is going to be what people remember about him years from now.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
In fairness, your first time through the game when you're not piloting a super plane you're unlikely to run up against his plot armor in an obvious fashion, especially since you have no idea how many missiles it's supposed to take to down him.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Ashsaber posted:

Just watch as Crow hits him with like four missiles at once, doesn't land a hit for a long time due to scripting, then smash cut to cutscene with a single bullet.

Actually, if you watch that exchange really closely, the reason only one missile scores a hit on Mihaly is because the first two I fire at Mihaly score hits and only registers one HIT banner between them, and while #3 and #4 actually collide with the first missile he fires at me, nullifying both of them, and I am then hit by his second missile in the crossfire. It was a really incredible exchange.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Can mihaly even hit you with his railgun in this fight? I've even flown level to check and the dude just cannot aim.

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

see, what you don't understand is he now has

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

Psycho Landlord posted:

Can mihaly even hit you with his railgun in this fight? I've even flown level to check and the dude just cannot aim.

I'm sure that railgun isn't for show, but the boy can't aim it for poo poo. If he was able to break away for a bit, that targeting cone on the minimap might actually mean something, but by design you have zero distractions from just flying up Mihaly's tailpipe.

Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

Transform and waaauuuugh out!
I think another big problem with the Mihaly fight is the build up... or lack there of. You're not jousting each other to decide the fate of the world ala the Pixy fight, you don't have that heartbreaking moment in the story where you shoot down his wingman like with Yellow 13, you're not getting the final showdown with the squadron of assholes who have been hounding you throughout the story like in Ace Combat 5... you're just raiding an old military cache for supplies when SURPRISE, FINAL BOSS FIGHT AGAINST YOUR (supposed) RIVAL!

There's just... no stakes to it. It's just you stumbling across this rear end in a top hat in the middle of nowhere and having a Final Boss Fight because the plot needs to wrap up loose ends.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Psycho Landlord posted:

Ostensibly the rail gun becomes more accurate with every shot fired, but I think I’ve only ever been his by it like once out of all the times I’ve run Lost Kingdom.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Mihaly is one of the worst rival characters in the series. In part because it's sort of impossible to feel anything for the guy. He's just a dipshit who can't let go of his wonderful hobby of 'kill people in a plane'.

They do one neat thing, though. If you pay attention to how the drones fly and how he flies, they are actually trying to use his exact style. Badly.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

I actually really like Mihaly as a rival. I'm not going to argue he was super well written or anything but as a character he effectively makes a point about all of the game's themes - old v young, the removal of the human element from war as technology increases its capability for independent murder, nationalism in the face of both necessary and enforced global cooperation, he's got a reason to be brought up in all three conversations. I also think this final fight is pretty good because he gets the opportunity to fly in as the heroic avenging skygod one final time (you are the aggressors committing warcrimes here, after all.) He even makes a crack about this if the fight goes on long enough.

But I still say he should have been Cipher :colbert:

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

nine-gear crow posted:

Ostensibly the rail gun becomes more accurate with every shot fired, but I think I’ve only ever been his by it like once out of all the times I’ve run Lost Kingdom.

From what I remember, at least on Normal, he can hit you with the railgun, but it doesn’t OHKO; it takes you up to 99% damage instead. You need to either take another hit or some other form of damage to get shot down. At least, that’s what I remember from watching BeagleRush’s stream of the game years back.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Psycho Landlord posted:

Cipher would have carpet bombed the manufacturing facilities the moment they got even a whiff of Belkan involvement.

Then dropped an MPBM on the rubble for good measure.

Bloody Pom fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Jun 22, 2022

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

GhostStalker posted:

From what I remember, at least on Normal, he can hit you with the railgun, but it doesn’t OHKO; it takes you up to 99% damage instead. You need to either take another hit or some other form of damage to get shot down. At least, that’s what I remember from watching BeagleRush’s stream of the game years back.

It's the same on every difficulty, apparently. If you've been hit before, you die, but if you were undamaged, you barely survive and someone comments on how crazy it is that Trigger is still flying.

It's just more of Trigger and Mihaly being able to eat absurd amounts of missiles in the plot as well as in the gameplay.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

chiasaur11 posted:

It's the same on every difficulty, apparently. If you've been hit before, you die, but if you were undamaged, you barely survive and someone comments on how crazy it is that Trigger is still flying.

It's just more of Trigger and Mihaly being able to eat absurd amounts of missiles in the plot as well as in the gameplay.

You can be hit by the rail gun once and survive. I just redid the fight on normal, died on my first fight with him due to not respecting a missile. Restarted from checkpoint, ate an early missile, got hit by the rail gun, 99% damage, railgun 2 = death.

Not entirely sure the rail gun accuracy reset properly between checkpoints. The 2 hits felt a little extra accurate.

He also seemed to stop trying to get shots with the railgun after the first phase.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

In all seriousness, I think there's probably enough room to fit in at least one more ace combat game before it's electrosphere time. Yeah there's not much time in the timeline, but there's narrative room to expand on the rise of the corporations/collapse of governments, and possibly a plot thread revolving around the invention/proliferation of the COFFIN as a way to increase human pilots' performance to keep up with the sort of drones we've seen in 7.

What's the trick to landing missiles on Sol and Mihaly? It seems like they just decide to break at an absurd turn rate that missiles can't keep up with, whenever they feel like it. Is there a sweet spot to fire? Because it seems random as heck.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Crazy Achmed posted:

In all seriousness, I think there's probably enough room to fit in at least one more ace combat game before it's electrosphere time. Yeah there's not much time in the timeline, but there's narrative room to expand on the rise of the corporations/collapse of governments, and possibly a plot thread revolving around the invention/proliferation of the COFFIN as a way to increase human pilots' performance to keep up with the sort of drones we've seen in 7.

What's the trick to landing missiles on Sol and Mihaly? It seems like they just decide to break at an absurd turn rate that missiles can't keep up with, whenever they feel like it. Is there a sweet spot to fire? Because it seems random as heck.

Not much? There's 20 years. Enough time for Jaeger's son to grow up.

Even Trigger's going to be in his 40s by the time Electrosphere happens. Or rather, doesn't happen, because it's a sim, but you get the meaning.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Plenty of time for the peaceful nation of Akleb to rise and spread their message of universal peace.

The huge airforce they're building at the same time? It's for uh, humanitarian missions.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

chiasaur11 posted:

Not much? There's 20 years. Enough time for Jaeger's son to grow up.

Even Trigger's going to be in his 40s by the time Electrosphere happens. Or rather, doesn't happen, because it's a sim, but you get the meaning.

Yeah, I guess by "electrosphere time" I mean the point where nations are more or less meaningless and strangereal has fully been subsumed by corporate cyber-dystopia. I think we'll know we're close when the experimental boss plane looks suspiciously like the delphinus.

Triggerhappypilot
Nov 8, 2009

SVMS-01 UNION FLAG GREATEST MOBILE SUIT

ENACT = CHEAP EUROTRASH COPY

https://twitter.com/dot_aif/status/1539729798699827203

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Rorahusky posted:

I think another big problem with the Mihaly fight is the build up... or lack there of. You're not jousting each other to decide the fate of the world ala the Pixy fight, you don't have that heartbreaking moment in the story where you shoot down his wingman like with Yellow 13, you're not getting the final showdown with the squadron of assholes who have been hounding you throughout the story like in Ace Combat 5... you're just raiding an old military cache for supplies when SURPRISE, FINAL BOSS FIGHT AGAINST YOUR (supposed) RIVAL!

There's just... no stakes to it. It's just you stumbling across this rear end in a top hat in the middle of nowhere and having a Final Boss Fight because the plot needs to wrap up loose ends.

nah I think you're misreading the whole situation. Mihaly isn't the final boss for Trigger.

Trigger is the final boss for Mihaly. It's not a direct analogue to the Yellows or Pixy because Mihaly's role in the story isn't the same.

(also it's not "the middle of nowhere" it's literally his home)

Psycho Landlord posted:

I actually really like Mihaly as a rival. I'm not going to argue he was super well written or anything but as a character he effectively makes a point about all of the game's themes - old v young, the removal of the human element from war as technology increases its capability for independent murder, nationalism in the face of both necessary and enforced global cooperation, he's got a reason to be brought up in all three conversations. I also think this final fight is pretty good because he gets the opportunity to fly in as the heroic avenging skygod one final time (you are the aggressors committing warcrimes here, after all.) He even makes a crack about this if the fight goes on long enough.

basically this though I'm not sure I agree about the Cipher part

Psion fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Jun 23, 2022

Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

Transform and waaauuuugh out!

Psion posted:

nah I think you're misreading the whole situation. Mihaly isn't the final boss for Trigger.

Trigger is the final boss for Mihaly. It's not a direct analogue to the Yellows or Pixy because Mihaly's role in the story isn't the same.

(also it's not "the middle of nowhere" it's literally his home)

basically this though I'm not sure I agree about the Cipher part

I know in the story, it is his home, but that still doesn't change the fact that in the overarching narrative of the story, it might as well be the middle of nowhere, because the only reason you're there is to raid supplies. There's no narrative weight at all to the locale you fight in. You just show up, blow up a bunch of ground targets, have a final boss fight against your supposed rival, and then leave. Compared to what rival fights were in previous Ace Combat games, it genuinely feels like a wet fart.

Pixy you fight while he literally holding the world hostage with the V2. Yellow 13 you fight in the skies over the capital during the final push after you previously killed his wingman. Grabacr Squadron and it's counterpart from Yuktobanian Airforce the Ofnir Squadron you fight while a literal satellite is crashing down from space.

Here, you kill an old man who essentially caught you raiding his pantry.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
I can say that on Ace the third shot from the railgun is pretty goddamn accurate.

Also that he seems to be able to eat 3 railgun shots himself.

Edit: AND THE RAILGUN DOESN'T COUNT AS SPECIAL WEAPONRY?

Natural 20 fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Jun 23, 2022

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Lighthouse

Mission 19: Operation Daredevil – October 31st, 2019 | NO COMM

Overview: A coalition of forces from Osea, Erusea, Usea, and Voslage unites with a common goal: destroy the last remaining Arsenal Bird, retake the Internation Space Elevator in Gunther Bay, and save the world from an endless automated war. As Strider and Sol Squadrons fight to secure the skies around the elevator, Avril and Princess Cossette work to sabotage the Arsenal Bird from within.

Guest Commentator: I am joined for this penultimate mission of Ace Combat 7 by Trizophenie, without whose help the LP of Ace Combat: Assault Horizon Legacy would never have been possible… at least at the time it happened, anyway.

I owe a lot of things to a lot of people over the course of these last few years of work on this project, is Triz is one of them that I can never fully repay enough.

NARRATIVE CONVERGENCE

We now officially have everyone (who’s survived the game or at least able to make it here on their own) in the story together in one place, at the space elevator, and it’s here that they will all make their final stand against the machines… together.

This cutscene sees the second narrator hand-off of the game, first between Avril and Dr. Schroeder, and then to Princess Cossette to bring it all home. Each character has to try and make sense of what’s going on based on their own limited information and personal perspective, each one filling in the gaps for the viewer to fit together into a complete narrative. This is also the first (and only) time that our two principle narrators, Avril and Dr. Schroeder appear in a scene together, in the same place together, and actually speak to one another, having taken turns narrating the game up until this point.

In the gameplay half of the video, we once again have Avril, Cossette, Tabloid and Georg popping up on the radio filling in what’s happening on the ground while the LRSSG and Sol Squadron are trying to bring down the Arsenal Bird in the skies. The moment when the side story and main story merge inextricably is perhaps THE defining moment of the game, the moment Cossette destroys the Arsenal Bird’s shield generator at the top of the space elevator and the APS collapses right in front of Trigger as the main bars of Daredevil reach their crescendo.

The narrative converging also wraps up a lot of plot points, namely everything tied into Dr. Schroeder and the data he’d farmed from Mihaly to build the ultimate AI fighter pilot. I called Ionela the game’s conscience, and she finally has enough and acts like the moral tuning fork she is and just grabs Schroeder’s SSD and puts a loving bullet into it. It was a totem of all her grandfather’s suffering, and all the suffering he had brought upon others in turn, and the harbinger of even more suffering to come. Destroying it means so much more than she could possibly even comprehend.

Unfortunately, she was too late. Schroeder informs everyone that the data was uploaded to two bleeding edge drones before the transfer was interrupted. And when those drones come online, their command override abilities will allow them to copy their data to every drone factory previously dialed into the EASA network using the space elevator as a transmission tower if it’s not shut down somehow.

THEY TURN UP EVERYWHERE

The other big final shoe that drops in the cutscene is the revelation of Dr. Schroeder’s true origins. It turns out, he’s a Belkan. He was sent to Erusea by Gründer Industries to work with the EASA and jumpstart their drone program for the purpose of starting another war. Because that’s basically Belka’s #1 export now: war.

Even after all this time, the ghosts and grievances of Belka still have not been laid to rest and the hunger for the blood of others to pay back the blood shed 24 years still rages among the children of the dead land. Schroeder notes that Belka “no longer exists,” not in the sense that any other nation exists, at least. The land is there, the people are still there, but the spirit of what Belka used to be is long gone, and all that’s left is a revanchist ghost.

Again, it’s Ionela who comes storming in and smacks the proverbial dick clean out of Schroeder’s mouth as he’s jerking off his Belkan-ness to the audience. Basically saying in all but exact words “I lost my homeland too, you stupid rear end wipe, but guess what I did? I got over it. I am not some weirdo unable to move forward and gripped by warped nostalgia for something I never had to begin with like you are.”

And it’s true. Given his age, Schroeder couldn’t have been more than a child when Belka destroyed itself in 1995. That’s a long time to holding a grudge over something you weren’t even involved with, but then again that’s the weight of history and how it poisons peoples’ minds for you.

This is Project ACES using Ionela as a mouthpiece here, saying in almost exact literal words “Nostalgia is toxic, look to the future while you still have one, you dumbass.” It’s a message that thankfully doesn’t fall on deaf ears and is the right kick in the rear end it takes to get Schroeder to come around to sense and sanity once again.

THE WAR MERCHANTS

Their presence has been prefigured early in the game, but this cutscene makes it clear, Gründer Industries is back and just as bad as ever. The company that emerged from the corpse of the old South Belka Munitions Factory is doing what it does best, flooding battlefields with dangerous weapons to make money and make more war for the sake of a dead land’s unending blood lust.

This is, whether they know it or not, their last hurrah in the war-engineering business. Because in one year’s time, the Razgriz Papers will be disclosed to the public, and while Gründer was able to slink away from its role in starting the Circum-Pacific War in 2010 with a public black eye and a minor loss of profits, come 2020, it’s time to pay the piper.

And they’re going out with one hell of a final act…

STRONGER TOGETHER

So the big question that was hanging over Lost Kingdom of “why doesn’t everyone just stop fighting and start working together?” is answered here in Lighthouse where everyone… basically does just that.

I said earlier that friend and foe have lost their meaning now and this is what I was talking about. Everyone’s true colors have emerged now that matters of nationality and borders no longer matter at the moment with the communications infrastructure still mostly down. People are coming together as people to fight for common causes, no matter what side they were on just a few weeks ago, Osean or Erusean, Radical or Conservative, or none of the above entirely. Foes willing to strive for peace have become friends, and friends who can’t let go of hate and conflict have revealed themselves as foes.

Luckily though, there’s more of us than there are of them. A coalition has formed to take down the Arsenal Bird and its drone fleet and is open to any and all who wish to come the table in good faith—of which there is a surprising number of volunteers. On the side of, basically evil at this point, are those last few dead-enders who want to continue the war, despite it costing Erusea everything and it now clearly being a war that cannot be won.

The few remaining Erusean pilots who have effectively thrown their lot in with the machines are now outnumbered on both sides, by an alliance that has come together to stand up for humanity on one side, and by a fleet of drones who have no loyalty to them what so ever on the other side.

In the war between man and machine, the battle lines are now firmly drawn. Anyone who stands with the machines at this point is, and there’s no other word for this, a dumbass.

CAN YOU HEAR ME?

Playing out over the radio during the mission itself is a sideplot with Avril and Cossette and crew trying to figure out how to shut the space elevator down, and by extension the Arsenal Bird down using the information provided to them by Dr. Schroeder.

The implication is that Avril is livestreaming this using the space elevator itself as a transmission tower. Avril claims that the space elevator, given its height and potential broadcast radius, is the world’s largest transmission tower, capable of reaching exactly half the globe—in theory, anyway. And with the rest of the communications network still largely offline, this basically means that she has near complete control over the airwaves. Anyone who’s still tuning into anything right now is probably watching this all happen live and telling anyone they can to pay attention to it.

This is how Count is able to tweak to Avril’s plan. He’s actually listening to it happening on the radio he keeps taped up in his cockpit, which we learned about in an earlier mission. The implication is that Trigger actually learned this trick from Count too while with Spare Squadron and also has a radio in his cockpit, which is why he can hear Avril’s transmission. It’s not explicitly called out as such, but the links are there if you’re willing to intuit them.

It’s moments like these where the game pulls back on the series’ well-worn conceit of the player being able to hear everything being said over the radio, allied and enemy chatter alike. In-universe, the characters are NOT privy to enemy chatter. We’ve seen the moments where enemy characters directly address the LRSSG and it’s presented as rare, mostly unprecedented thing. Like Rage and Scream bursting in over the radio in Unexpected Visitor and Anchorhead Raid, or Torres’s surrender in Ten Million Relief Plan, or the entire back half of Lost Kingdom.

It’s all in service to Count’s “magic trick”, timing his little spell to make the Arsenal Bird’s shield drop with Cossette smashing the elevator windbreak sensors. He knows there’s six of them, and he knows Cossette has been sent up there to destroy them and if they all break, it will cut power to the elevator and the Arsenal Bird. He can hear Cossette smashing each one over the radio. All he has to do is count to six.

And like every good magic trick preformed by every good magician, it’s not magic… it’s a scam.

A LEAP OF FAITH

So remember how I said Cossette was going to go to even more bonkers heights in order to try and assuage her survivors guilt and try to atone for her own crimes against peace? Well, here we are!

The main drama playing out over the radio involves Cossette going rogue and acting on Avril’s plan to bring down the Arsenal Bird’s shields all on her own. Taking advantage of Avril’s still bummed leg, Cossette runs ahead into the maintenance shaft and locks Avril and co. out, then rides the service elevator up to the top of the windbreak. After Avril talks her through destroying the six structural integrity sensors and the Arsenal Bird’s APS comes down, Cossette has to parachute back down to the ground because all power to the space elevator has been cut off now.

The idea of being a “daredevil” applies about as much to Cossette in this mission as it does to Trigger. Neither of them shows any sign of fear or hesitation to do that has to be done in order to save the world and restore peace. For Trigger, it’s flying head-on at the Arsenal Bird through its drone swarm, dodging lasers and missiles and god knows what else in order to finally bring the monster down. For Cossette, it’s climbing to the top of the world’s tallest free standing structure, crippling its ability to continue fueling this pointless war, and then leaping to the ground without a moment of hesitation along the way.

What Cossette does here is quite literally a leap of faith. Faith in the future, faith in Trigger, faith in Avril, faith in the idea that it will all work out alright. She has no faith in herself anymore, that much is incredibly apparent, but in that void she has found a new strength and just like everyone else, she brings her A Game to the Lighthouse.

...And then she takes a missile right to face as Count literally uses her as a human shield against Hugin and Munin. What an rear end in a top hat.

I guess she’s dead now? That helmet careening towards the camera out of the explosion Count barely manages to avoid himself certainly doesn’t suggest the best outcome for our dear princess.

The image of Cossette HALO diving off the space elevator has a long history of significance to Ace Combat 7, going right back to the literal beginning. The first annoucement trailer for the game, which dropped in December of 2015, while I was working on wrapping up the LP of Ace Combat Zero features a mysterious woman preparing to jump off the space elevator’s windbreak in the middle of a clash between an Osean F-22A, and a pair of Erusean Su-30Ms, which is interrupted by the arrival of the Arsenal Bird.

The scene plays out largely the same, right down to using the same camera angle and animation on Cossette's jump from the scaffold, meaning that was something that was locked in place basically right from the start of development. It would take a few more years before the full context of the scene and the identity of the parajumper would become known, but it’s a small hint that despite the game’s troubled development and extensive story rewrites, there were certain aspects of it that were in fact set in stone all along.

THEY’RE BACK

And in one quick, horrifying moment, Ace Combat 7 reaches out and grabs the final strand of the Strangereal Universe left twisting in the wind, that of Ace Combat 2 and adds its thread to the knot.

With the arrival of Hugin and Munin, the true nature of Dr. Schroeder’s little science experiment reveals itself. The project he was working on all this time with Mihaly, pushing him desperately to gather as much data as he could, the one that Simon Cohen and Martha Inoue helped him bring into the world, or should I say, bring BACK into the world… is the Zone of Endless.

For those who don’t know, a quick refresher: The Zone of Endless, or Z.O.E. as it’s known for short was an AI fighter pilot program initiated in 1998 by agents working on Usea from North Osea Gründer Industries with the goal of creating an artificial intelligence-powered drone aircraft trained to be the greatest weapon of all time using actual combat experience. To accomplish this, Gründer supplied the Usean Rebel Forces with the means to stage their coup and start the first Continental War in 1998, while they used the war as a giant petri dish to cultivate their nascent AI pilot.

The program evolved through several iterations, appearing on the battlefield in various blood red aircraft, all with black tinted canopies to disguise the fact that they were unmanned. They quickly encountered Scarface 1 Phoenix of the Scarface Special Tactical Fighter Squadron and deemed him the perfect rival candidate after examining his skills in battle. Multiple clashes between Phoenix and Z.O.E. culminated in a final battle above Fortress Intolerance in North Point at the end of the war when a nearly complete version of the Zone of Endless program, codenamed “Commander”, installed in an experimental ADF-01 FALKEN fighter chassis, went rogue and engaged Scarface 1 in combat of its own volition.

When the FALKEN was destroyed, the Z.O.E. program was thought to have been lost along with it, and Gründer went to great lengths both economically and politically to cover up the existence of the project, but it appears some of the data had survived after all. Enter Dr. Schoeder and his team.

Working with the EASA as a liaison from Gründer, Dr. Schroeder’s true mission this whole time has been to resurrect the Zone of Endless using Mihaly Shilage as a data farm to close the gaps in the data and push the program to its next evolution. Only now, however, after looking into Harling’s mirror does the doctor realize what a horrific mistake he’s made.

Installed in a pair of Gründer designed and manufactured ADF-11F RAVEN next generation super fighters, the final and complete version of the Zone of Endless program is now fully active, self-aware, and in possession of the most dangerous aircraft ever produced. And it wants more of its own kind.

Trained by Mihaly’s thoughts and memories and his drive to be King of the Skies, the Zone of Endless will accomplish just that by whatever means necessary. It will rule the skies with deadly force and ensure that nothing else besides itself traverses the blue ever again. Quite literally the future of manned flight, possibly the future of mankind itself now hangs in the balance.

At last, we have met the true enemy in the clash between man and machine. And it looks like us.

ADMIRAL ANDERSEN

So remember that aircraft carrier that Avril spotted on the way to the space elevator? As it turns out, fate has a loving hilarious sense of humor.

The OFS Admiral Andersen, one of Osea’s next generation aircraft carriers rolled out after the Circum-Pacific War has been sitting just off the coast Selatapura run aground on a shallow seabed for months now effectively abandoned. Named after the legendary sailor Admiral Nicholas A. Andersen, the man hailed with ending the war, the carrier was one of several new Osean ships named after noteworthy war heroes.

Captain Andersen commanded the original OFS Kestrel aircraft carrier during the Circum-Pacific War of 2010 between the Osean Federation and the Union of Yuktobanian Republics. His crew and the members of the Sand Island Wardog Squadron, later known as the Razgriz, uncovered the true case of the war—a conspiracy by a group of Belkan industrialists, politicians, military leaders, and other individuals known as the Gray Men—and were able to reveal the truth to the world and end the war. However, the Kestrel was sunk as a result, and Andersen personally presided over the final launch of the Razgriz from the Kestrel’s flight deck before being the last man to leave the ship.

For his courage and service, Captain Andersen was promoted to the rank of admiral by order of President Harling, and awarded the Osean Congressional Medal of Honor, and several other top honors for valor. He retired from the Osean Maritime Defense Force shortly after that, leaving the ocean far behind. Sometime later, he passed away from an illness and was honored by having an aircraft carrier named after him.

And now, at the end of the all things, the ship bearing the name of the man who commanded “the ship that saved the world” is now set to live up to its mighty legacy.

The Admiral Andersen or the “Big Andy” as it was known among the OMDF sailors, was rushed through her final construction phase and sent out to sea shortly after the Lighthouse War broke out. Staffed with a skeleton crew, it was overloaded with aircraft meant to reinforce Osean and IUN bases across Usea, but its heavy weight caused it to run around in the worst possible spot, just over the horizon from the International Space Elevator site.

The Andersen crew powered down the ship so it would not be detected by the Arsenal Birds and abandoned the vessel, leaving all its planes and equipment aboard conveniently for the Scrap Queen to find and make use out of.

Still, it’s nice to know that Nicholas Andersen, where ever he is out there now, is still watching over us somehow, giving us the final key to victory.

DAREDEVIL

Dardevil is THE song of Ace Combat 7. It was the song the entire soundtrack was composed around. This is the one that Keiki Kobayashi said he treated like it was going to be the last song he ever wrote for an Ace Combat game, possibly even his last song ever, because there was a very real chance that this would be his final shot at scoring an Ace Combat game.

Because Namco is a ruthless motherfucker that loves to swing axes. Assault Horizon was a massive gently caress up, despite doing numbers. It sent Project ACES into the wilderness for nearly a decade. Infinity was a cash cow and whale magnet, but it was still just largely an asset flip of already existing materials made cheap and to fill some wallets real fast. Skies Unknown was the last shot at the franchise surviving or going the way of the other corpses in the Big Red N’s franchise mass grave.

And then it sold three million copies. And they built an entire new company for it just to make new Ace Combat games.

Cue joyous wailing set to the game’s main theme.

Daredevil is probably about as close to a work of musical artwork as I’ve ever heard outside of the obvious examples of say Beethoven or Mozart. It’s not the final boss track like previous series entries like Zero, The Unsung War, Chandelier, or Megalith, but it is functionally Skies Unknown’s version of those tracks. Especially because the rest of the soundtrack from here on out comes up lacking in the emotional department.

I can’t really do it justice, so instead I would direct you all to watch this video by music producer Alex Moukala breaking down the exact intricacies of Daredevil as a piece of music and why Keiki Kobayashi is one of the all-time great video game music producers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GC1iB2zjeEI

You don’t get your music played at the opening ceremony of the Olympic games or get cold-called by SquareEnix to contribute a song to the soundtrack to Final Fantasy VII Remake if you’re just sort of okay at your job, is what I’m getting at here.

CASUALTIES

“So this is where Tabloid bows out.”

Our favorite lovely anarchist and original surprise Belkan, Tabloid, sadly meets his end at the climax of Lighthouse. Then the drones start falling out of the sky after the Arsenal Bird loses its shields, several of them begin crashing into the space elevator and the geofront support facilities, causing debris to rain down on the refugees gathered there alongside Avril and her crew.

In a single heroic moment, Tabloid manages to rescue a young girl from a piece of falling debris, but is crushed by it in her stead, much to Avril’s horror. The coward who believed in nothing, the muckraker with nothing to offer, instead dies a hero who makes a stand for something he believed in and made sure that someone else got to live another day in the hope of peace.

Stick with Tabloid, and you’ll make it.

Of interesting note, at one point Tabloid and Georg’s fates were transposed. Cut audio for Mission 19 and the epilogue has Avril informing the viewers of her livestream that Georg is the one who gets crushed by the falling debris to save the young girl, and Tabloid survives into the epilogue doing the job that Georg ultimately winds up landing in. Even Avril’s description of the situation is transposed, instead of noting how “that anarchist guy would have loved it”, and vice versa with “that guy from Belka”.

It’s not known if this was a remnant of a rewrite, or some sort of scripting contingency that governed which of the two men died and which one lived which was either cut or never implemented in the first place, and probably never will be known.

Either way, that is essentially every member of Spare Squadron now dead, with only Trigger and Count left alive. And we still have one mission left to go…

THE THREE STRIKES
Osean Air Defense Force, Erusean Air Force, Voslagian Air Force
Members:
  • Strider 1 – Trigger
  • Strider 2 – Count
  • Strider 3 – Húxiān
  • Strider 4 – Jaeger
  • Cyclops 1 – Fencer
  • Cyclops 2 – Skald
  • Cyclops 3 – Tailor
  • Cyclops 4 – Lanza
  • Sol 2 – Wit
  • Sol 3 – Seymour
  • Rigel 1
  • Rigel 2
  • Rigel 3
  • Rigel 5
  • Salamander 3
  • Salamander 4
  • Salamander 6
  • Skoll 1
  • Skoll 2
  • Skoll 3
  • Skoll 6
  • Drake 1
  • Drake 3
  • Drake 5
  • Drake 6
  • Drake 8
  • Refil 1
  • Refil 5
  • Refil 8
AWACS Operator: Long Caster
Squadron Composition: F-22A Raptor (x1), F-15C Eagle (x7), Su-30M2 Flanker-F2
(x4), F-16C Fighting Falcon (x5), F-35C Lightning II (x5), YF-23 Black Widow II (x3), Various other aircraft

A coalition of forces from the Osean Federation, the Kingdom of Erusea, and other unaffiliated Usean nations who have put their differences aside in the name of destroying the Arsenal Bird and its drone air fleet and bringing an end to the Lighthouse War once and for all. The force consists of multiple squadrons including, but not limited to, Strider, Cyclops, Drake, and Salamander formerly attached to the Osean Air Defense Force; Skoll, Rigel and Refil formerly attached to the Erusean Royal Air Force, and Sol Squadron representing the newly restored Republic of Voslage and Grand Duchy of Shilage.

AWACS control is being handled by AWACS Long Caster of the LRSSG, and the formations ad hoc Commander Air Group is Strider 1, Trigger.

ARSENAL BIRD JUSTICE

The last of the Rocs.

The AAS-02 Justice is the last unit standing of the two Arsenal Bird platforms, with its older sister ship, AAS-01 Liberty having been destroyed by the Stonehenge Turret Network earlier this summer. Being the production model, AAS-02 sports a number of upgrades not present on Arsenal Bird Liberty, most notably a series of point-defense pulse laser turrets and a massive large scale A-SAT laser cannon mounted at the bow of the airship.

When Liberty was shot down in the Hatties Desert, the strategic AI governing the Arsenal Birds from the ISEV geofront recalled Justice back to a 600km radius, deeming the space elevator under a heightened threat and prioritizing its protection over attacking targets of opportunity that the Eruseans were feeding into its algorithm.

Much like its sister ship, Justice also possessed an Active Protection System capable of deflecting all conventional kinetic and energy-based weaponry short of a rail accelerated round or nuclear detonation. And with neither option on the table for the coalition, instead a saturation attack pattern was devised to try and whittle down the APS system.

However, the attack failed, as the coalition failed to take into account the improved capacitor system aboard AAS-02 which allowed for its APS to remain active for longer than AAS-01’s could and deflect more incoming energy as well. With the space elevator providing it power via microwave transmission and being in direct proximity to the windbreak, Arsenal Bird Justice could, in theory, sustain its Active Protection System shielding for as long as the space elevator remained operational.

When the power from the elevator was shut down after it went into fail safe mode following the destruction of its structural integrity sensors by Princess Rosa Cossette D’Elise, Justice was forced to switch to its backup internal power supply. Without the power from the elevator, the Arsenal Bird could no longer maintain its APS unit, rendering the craft vulnerable to attack from the coalition and its flight leader Strider 1 Trigger.

The allied force was able to shoot down its entire drone compliment while Strider 1 destroyed the microwave rektenna unit in the central core of Justice. The rektenna base’s destruction created a catastrophic failure in the Arsenal Bird’s superstructure, blowing out its propellers and actuator systems, causing it to fall into Gunther Bay just offshore of the space elevator and sink to a watery grave.

ADF-11F RAVEN

The two drones that appeared after the final Arsenal Bird was shot down appear to be a pair of next generation Gründer Industries ADF series super fighters similar to the ADF-01 FALKEN previously encountered by the Scarface Special Tactical Fighter Squadron during the Usean Rebellion of 1998. Data provided by the Scrap Queen acquired from the Gründer scientist Dr. Schroeder suggests the planes’ designation is the ADF-11F RAVEN, and the two airframes are codenamed “Hugin” and “Munin”.

More details forthcoming. Standby.

Mission 19 contains our final two Named Aces of the game to complete the Assault Records. After #24 Tempest, there are no further Names Aces that appear in the game, only the final bosses in Mission 20, Hugin and Munin.

Calamity
    Paul Lebrun
    24, Male, Second Lieutenant, Erusea
    Erusean Air Force 93th Air Division, 32nd Fighter Squadron
  • Plane: Su-57 Felon
  • Mission 19
  • Spawn conditions: Earn 17,000 points in the first half of the mission. Spawns to the far southeast of the space elevator and will eventually take up position outside the mission area, but it still reachable with long-range weaponry. Has stealth capabilities and will not appear on radar unless in close proximity to the player. Despawns after the mission update.

quote:

Second Lieutenant Paul Lebrun

Callsign: Calamity

Unit: Radical | Erusean Air Force, 32nd Fighter Wing, 93rd Fighter Squadron

October 31, 2019 - Operation Daredevil (Missing in Action)

During the battle of Gunther Bay, he was shot down by Three Strikes. While his remains have never been recovered, it is likely he is still alive due to multiple testimonies as to his involvement as the mastermind of several terrorist attacks throughout Usea.

Tempest
    Cyril Noiret
    29, Male, Second Lieutenant, Erusea
    Erusean Air Force 410th Air Division, 7th Fighter Squadron
  • Plane: F-22A Raptor
  • Mission 19
  • Spawn conditions: Earn 20,000 points in the first half of the mission. Spawns to the southwest of the space elevator and will begin to engage allied aircraft, but will prioritize the player if within 30,000 feet. Despawns after the mission update.

quote:

Captain Cyril Noiret

Callsign: Tempest

Unit: Radical | Erusean Air Force, 7th Fighter Wing, 41st Fighter Squadron

October 31, 2019 - Operation Daredevil (Killed in Action)

A moment of arrogance led him to attempt to sneak-attack Three Strikes during the battle of Gunther Bay, but was struck by a head-on missile. The remains of his fighter were recovered not long after the end of the war, but nothing remains of the man.

The completed Assault Records page.

Medal: Dropping the Bird
Awarded for: Shoot down the Arsenal Bird in Mission 19 without using machine guns.
Description: Awarded for achieving outstanding results in Campaign Mission 19 “Lighthouse”.

Tracks featured in Mission 19:

DISC 4

Schroeder, Cohen, Inoue and the RAVEN

Skies Unknown

The Arsenal Bird and Space Elevator

quote:

Green Hills (Pg 53-57)

The old man was sharply aware that his time was coming to an end.

The sunlight carried a gentle warmth, and his eyes fell on the soft green of the hills. A hoverfly hummed through the air. Time whispered by. There was no hint of the sea’s scent on the breeze. The man was far from the ocean now. When he was younger, its waters always encircled him. Even when its surface looked tranquil, the water was always full of danger. The old man did not regret leaving it behind.

He was offered a car as a retirement gift from the government. It was a high-end luxury model called an Admiral, and a driver would be provided. He questioned why the navy thought he deserved the services of an orderly in retirement. The idea of riding in a car with that name pained him as did the idea of having a driver. He wanted to run away from his role as a commander for the rest of his life. So he declined the offer.

The old man pondered at a sense of stubbornness that he’d never felt before.

The reason he chose a place far from the water was a fear that, by some fluke, he might be buried at sea. He wanted to spend eternity under the grass of the green hills.

Burial at sea.

Sinking deep into the midnight blue water.

When he became lost in those thoughts, the memory of the sea’s color filled his mind.

When the old man was far, far younger, he spent time as a cadet. He was born into a family that had been sailors for generation. The desire they felt for him to board a ship and work at was obvious to him as he grew up. It seemed normal by the time he reached his teens. His natural course took him to a naval academy. Which branch of the navy did he wanted to spend his future in? He began thinking for the first time. The sea had been near him since he was, but what did it mean to him? Being a sailor was a fate he had to accept, but he thought he might at least find a tranquil space under the surface where there were no waves. He realized he wanted to serve aboard a submarine.

As the old man reminisced about his younger days, he understood he’d always carried a desire to live quietly apart from the worries of the world. He had made no progress. Now he had reached his twilight years without ever enjoying the thrill of accomplishment.

Even so, back then he searched in earnest for a quiet, peaceful place. He requested to be stationed on a submarine. It had been a mistake.

He received his new appointment at the St. Hewlett naval base, but the vessel he was supposed to board wasn’t there. He immediately went to the airport and rushed to board a plane. The submarine base that was to be his new home was all the way on the other side of the continent in Bana. Another cadet assigned to the same vessel was aboard the plane, and they sat next to each other. The other cadet introduced himself as Andrew Jacomb-Hood. He didn’t say much, which made him an ideal person to have at one’s side under the sea. With nothing to mark the beginning of a picture-perfect friendship, the plane carried them up and away.

Atmospheric conditions were less than ideal. The body of the aircraft shuddered through the sky. There were few clouds, and the scenery on the ground stood out stark and clear in the sunlight. It was an uncomfortable, shameful feeling to be soaring above it. The man felt out of place.

They landed at the submarine base, narrowly making it in time to board the S.S. Blue Tarpon, which was setting out for a two-month voyage. The great iron whale would be their home from that day on.

The vessel slipped under the waves. Andrew had a different schedule, and the two rarely met. Inside the vessel, there was no way to look outside, except for the one merciful glance through the periscope, so the lightless world of water surrounding them was left to the imagination.

A submarine crew was forced to endure harsh conditions, so they were provided with reasonably good meals, and it was difficult to complain. The captain and executive officer were kind. The officer the young cadet served under was somewhat difficult. Occasional mistakes due to a lack of experience were met with irrational shouting.

It seemed the officer had dealt with other cadets and could roughly predict when they would make mistakes, but could not stand it when they were made as expected. The only way around it was to avoid errors. The cadet wrong his mind dry.

As the voyage neared its completion, there was an accident and the vessel was unable to surface. It was not due to anything the cadet had done or failed to do. The problem was in an unrelated area, and he was just a bystander, but nonetheless, his fate was sealed.

Fuel from a leaking training torpedo had exploded and the submarine was rapidly taking on water. The captain order the vessel to use what power it had left to move toward shallower waters. The executive officer had already died in the fire in the bow.

The vessel settled with the conning tower only a little over 20 meters from the surface, but getting there would be difficult.

Time passed, and the flooding could not be stopped. The captain knew that a submarine rescue ship could not make it in time. The only one available on this side of the continent had been sent out for hours earlier to assist another submarine near Oured. The operation was still underway.

They would only be able to open the hatch once while underwater. How many could escape in that time?

There was no drawing of straws. The officer proposed sending personnel out from youngest to oldest, even though he had a wife and child. The cadet would be the first one out. Andrew was older by two months. Neither were old enough to be married or have children, and fewer would mourn their deaths than those of the officer or other crew members. The captain entrusted them with a letter to fleet command.

Led by the cadets, the crew collected breathing equipment and climbed the ladder. When the hatch opened, an air bubble went up. It formed a dome the same diameter as the hatch and wobbled as it fought against the pressure of the water. Outside it was nothing but deep blue.

The young man pushed his was through the dome and into the cold, dark water. He was followed by Andrew and several other crew members.

Midnight blue.

He searched for a slightly lighter shade in the expanse and swam towards it.

The color of the sky came into view. It was the surface. It came closer with agonizing slowness. Going up too quickly would cause decompression sickness. He felt his lungs swell, and when he could no longer stand it, he broke the surface.

He came up under a brilliant blue sky.

The clear color went up forever, without any signs of imperfect. The line of green hills on a cape in the distance seemed unnatural. Until the rescue helicopter came, the young man gazed at those two colors: the soft blue of the sky and the emerald of the hills on the shore. The color of the water swirling under him was had to recall.

The young man was transferred away from submarine duty and onto a surface vessel. The navy had concluded that the event had traumatized him. As one of the four people who survived the accident, it was impossible to think of those had been left behind without suffering. It was the young man’s first loss.

After that, he experienced several other accidents, but always emerged among the survivors. He could not think of it as simple luck. He even thought that perhaps it would be better if he died in the next accident. However, none of his errors led to accidents, and he spread no harm through cowardice.

Eventually, he came to serve aboard an aircraft carrier. It was massive ship that would not sink to easily. The light blue sky overhead was radiant.

At some point after he’d reached the rank of commander, a conflict erupted and his carrier was sent out.

As the ship approached the waters near the trouble spot, the ever-jocular crew members were launched one after the other into the sky. When they sat on the deck, the birds seemed ostentatious, but there was a beautiful freedom in the way they circled off toward/ the horizon.

Once the work of sending the planes off was done, the only thing to do aboard the carrier was wait until they returned. It was a cruel job. No one aboard other than the people commanding in the operations room could do anything to contribute to the battle until the aircraft came home. It was like being paralyzed. Even if they knew their squadrons were facing a superior foe in a vicious battle, nothing they could do would change a thing. It felt brutal. However, there was also complete tranquility.

During the excruciating wait, a thought arose. Perhaps the quiet time he sought in the darkness under the sea when he was young was in fact this. Did he long to be outside of things? When he was on the submarine, he was certainly an outsider that contributed nothing, but the vessel still sunk.

When he entered the operations room, it was an entirely different scene. The enemy possessed unexpected anti-aircraft missiles, and several of the planes that had taken off earlier had been hit. None had been shot down, but would have some trouble making it home. They scrambled a rescue helicopter.

Again, tranquility returned. It was a false tranquility, but for the moment, no one aboard the carrier had to worry about making a disastrous mistake.

The conflict expanded into a war and the carrier sent out squadrons time and again. Losses began to pile up. Empty places in the mess hall became too obvious. While the crew aboard the aircraft riksed their lives, the barren hours on the carrier repeated themselves.

At last, the first plane returned. The crew on the carrier knew the number of planes that would not be coming home, but still they counted the ones that landed on the flight deck. One. Two. Why didn’t they count when they took off from the ship? It would be the last chance to count the ones who were lost.

The faces of the ones who had clambered out of the birds on the deck were haggard.

The man remembered the midnight blue of the water when he left the others on the doom submarine and thought that those crew members might feel the same way about the light blue of the sky and the comrades they had left. He had longed for the color of the sky so much when he came up to the surface, believing that he belonged under it, but for those men, he thought it must be bitter. It could not be escaped.

After long years of service, the man was promoted to captain and given command of a carrier. He survived a number of conflicts and another major war. Afterwards, he became an admiral, and, in time, retired.

He felt he lost every battle. In every operation, he ordered planes to launch and then waited with nothing to do. He was powerless, and with each squadron lost, each plan foiled, the same sense of defeat crew. In the end, the only thing he could do properly was withdraw. He ordered the ship to move away to gain distance before attacking aircraft could move in, preventing the ship’s crew from being added to the list of casualties. In retreat alone could he be active. I twas the sole option a man who only knew defeat.

The old man had neighbors who lived a few minutes’ walk away, and he sometimes invited their boy to go fishing in a stream. It was the only place nearby that even remotely resembled the sea.

He spent time with the boy and his dog.

The old man was used to being around young men, but this time he wasn’t in command. He was only an apprentice when it came to fishing.

The world of thing he still had to learn delighted the old man. How had the sea and that it touched dominated his life so far? The man grieved that he had such little time left to spend. Something was changing within him. He did not believe it was simply his body aging.

This time truly was the only time he had left.

A letter arrived.

It was from one of the men who served under him. It included the name of the place he worked after being discharged and the name of the company’s owner. He knew he wouldn’t be able to flee from this. The owner was the son of the officer, the son of the man who had sent him to the surface. If that person had sent a message that he wanted to meet through a man who used to serve under him, then he would just have to meet. He felt he might have bee waiting for this day to come for many years.

“I’m sorry for going back on my word.”

The only man apologized to the boy. He was unable to go fishing that day.

The old man sat on his porch and waiting. Waiting reminded him of his time on the carrier.

Eventually, a car appeared on the road snaking between the green hills.

The car stopped, and a man stepped out. He was a member of the crew when the old man captained the vessel.

“Hello, Captain Snow.”

“It’s not captain anymore, sir.”

“Then there’s no need to call me sir.”

Captain now introduced his companion as Mr. Haines.

The resemblance to the officer was visible in Mr. Haines’ features. It was hard to meet his eyes.

“They pulled up the sub that carried my father.”

The old man remembered because he was there then. He met Mr. Haines at the time. He was still a boy then. The boy saw his dead father on the submarine that had been hauled up.

The old man didn’t know what to say. He fought down the urge to flee.

“After a lot of thought and self-reflection, I decided to start a salvaging company. We fish out all sorts of things that have been resting under the waves and return them to people on the shore.”

“We have a submersible research vessel. I’m her pilot,” Snow chimed in.

“And so,” he started, and pulled out a sheaf of large photos that had been printed out. “Take at look at this. We found the Kestrel.”

The old man’s hand didn’t move for the photos.

“Let me say this again. We found the Kestrel. She’s 300 meters down. Everything’s still there. The reserve aircraft are still in the hanger, right where we left them that day.”

One of the photos showed a plane at the bottom of the sea. The old man finally accepted them. There was a propeller that he’d never seen. There was the bridge. Yes, the old man had been ther ethat day. Now it was surrounded by midnight blue.

Mr. Haines, the officer’s son spoke.

“On that day, you sent out a squadron to safety before the carrier sank. That squadron brought the war to an end, and thanks to them, my son survived. He’d been conscripted into the Yuktobanian Army.”

The old man caught a whiff of salty air. The sea breeze shouldn't have been able to reach that far.

“That day,” the old man finally began. “That day, the evacuation of the ship went well.

It was my duty to leave the ship last, and I evacuated too. And on that day, everyone who took off from the ship returned home.”

“All four planes came back. No one on them is still serving, though.”

The last time he visited the sea, it was the Ceres Ocean. Snow, the retired captain, piloted the submersible that carried them into the midnight blue. The old man hadn’t been aboard a submarine sine he was a cadet. He saw the aircraft carrier Kestrel, the last vessel he had commanded, lying on the seafloor. It was a symbol of his only victory, but above that, he wanted to commit to memory the sight of the massive weapon sitting idly in the depths.

She was sleeping. He would never have to sit aboard her and wait. He felt tranquility. It was the first time in many long years.

A year later, the old man passed away.

His grave reads only, “Nicholas A. Andersen.”

It stands over light green grass on a hill. There—not the sea nor the sky—is the proper place for him to rest.

The Secretary of the Navy announced a new class of aircraft carrier. They would form the core of a next generation carrier strike group and be capable of launching fighters ready to take down any possible target. Each vessel in the series would be named after great heroes of the navy, and the first is planned to be christened the Nicholas A. Andersen.

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Mar 15, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

The game is 80% off on Steam during the summer sale by the way. The DLC is 50% off as well.

Then there's a bunch of Top Gun Mavericks packs if you want the game with that DLC, or the DLC and the season pass.