Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011
angered the evil eye lately

CuwiKhons posted:

poo poo I'd pledge for an entirely new Kickstarter for that.

I don't think he was interested in redeeming Asmodeus by the end. He was just firm in his belief that everyone was redeemable, no matter how unlikely, and was including himself in that statement. He didn't let go because he hoped for someone to rescue him eventually.

I guess I get that, but it seems...strange when you're literally being handed a chance to get out as the last gesture from your beloved friend, to reject that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

No, I agree tbh. It's definitely not the choice I would have taken. That said, it's very clear that Zerxus' greatest sin was pride so I'm not surprised he wouldn't back down even when it was the smarter choice.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats

Dexo posted:

lmao brennan is a coward.

I could not agree more. That sucked

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

It made for a better story in the end so who cares lol

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats

blizzardvizard posted:

It made for a better story in the end so who cares lol

I'm probably broken, but the "Good Guys" losing and failing in their mission would have been an awesome ending.

Senjuro
Aug 19, 2006
Hot drat, what an opening and ending this episode had.
If Matt ever retired I'd be 100% comfortable with Brennan succeeding him.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Raged posted:

I'm probably broken, but the "Good Guys" losing and failing in their mission would have been an awesome ending.

The good guys pretty much did lose though. We just witnessed the start of 200 years of war between the gods that will wipe out 2/3rds of the world's mortal population, destroy every major city on Exandria other than Vasselheim, and the world will lose so much historical and technological knowledge that nearly all of this will be forgotten (save for Vespin Chloras' name) and it'll be a thousand years before automatons walk Exandria again in even the most stunted state. The only reason this could be considered a 'good' ending is because we already knew how this story ended. We came into this knowing the Calamity would happen, so we're not surprised by it. But if we hadn't known that, this would be a pretty loving dark ending.

The only thing the group did successfully was divert the Primordials so that there was a chance it wouldn't be a total apocalypse.

Dragonstoned
Jan 15, 2006

MR. DOG WITH BEES IN HIS MOUTH AND WHEN HE BARKS HE SHOOTS BEES AT YOU
by Roger Hargreaves

The entire continent of Domunas was destroyed (along with everyone who lived there) and what was left of it later became known as "the shattered teeth" - The majority of the 2/3rds that died in the calamity died in this destruction... but the good guys won apparently?

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

'n suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us 'n the sky was full of what looked like 'uge bats, all swooping 'n screeching 'n divin' around the ute.
It was an excellent mini series, and I loved every moment. It's so nice to see Brennan, Lou and Aabriya get more recognition, and Luis (who was new to me) was fantastic.

Here's to Critical Role doing more things like this, hopefully highlighting and bringing in other lesser known ttrpg streaming groups.

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

Ok so there was a little bit of cheese in the react to a reaction special training thing. But, I'll be happy with the rule of cool winning. Especially since it got us that epic escape.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe

rocketrobot posted:

Ok so there was a little bit of cheese in the react to a reaction special training thing. But, I'll be happy with the rule of cool winning. Especially since it got us that epic escape.

I would never allow a TPK to occur to my group on something they couldn’t roll for. Even in a scenario where you’re setting up a kobiyashi maru, you’d always want to leave the final nail for a player roll.

I think Brennan handled it brilliantly because it was clear that if he rolled his average damage, Vespin Chloras would have survived on a hands worth of HP. A failed to-hit roll, an average or below damage roll, barring any other player reaction would have meant that despite their best efforts, power word: kill would have succeeded in casting.

It would be more satisfying to the players to have come up *just short* in a fight they were never meant to win, than to fail because the DM had one more “gotcha” than they had reactions for.

As it worked out, dice gods favored Cerrit and delivered, and we got the brilliant NES Metroid escape ending. That final silver lining in the apocalypse.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Honestly even if Cerrit had just rolled normal damage and Vespin had been left with one or two hp left and Laerryn had gotten iced by Power Word Kill - I still don't think the party would have failed. Patia would still have probably died afterwards but Loquacious was up and safely out of the way. He or Cerrit could probably have activated the machine if necessary and while we know now that Brennan asked for a DC 30 Arcana check from Laerryn, he would likely have been a lot more lenient with Cerrit or Quay trying it because he had a specific ending in mind and he's gotta get there. The narration might have changed a bit - maybe he'd imply that Laerryn could have contained the destruction somehow and Domanus would still be intact if Vespin hadn't managed to take her out or whatever - and Cerrit wouldn't have been able to escape, but it'd still be the same ending.

This is a feature of D&D, not a bug. As long as you're good at improv (and Brennan very much is), you can always get the party to where you intended them to go, no matter what off the wall poo poo happens, without them ever realizing they've been railroaded. Obviously the tracks were more apparent in Calamity than they usually are because time constraints were tight, but Brennan gave the party enough freedom for it to never feel too constrained to the rails.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe
I agree wholly with your post, however I think speculating on next steps overshadowed the point I was hoping to make, which was that the final choice should always have been in the players’ hands. In that sense, allowing Cerrit the additional reaction was the right call. If Cerrit had failed and it moved to next steps, it’d have been just as disappointing to see another legendary action or counterspell gotcha ending the campaign, versus allowing the players one last die roll to determine the outcome. It could have come from Loquatious, sure. Just as long as there was always a chance, and the dice from a players’ hand determined the final outcome.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
more importantly travis rolled 1 point over vespins hp anyway before sam did silvery barbs shenanigans to put him at disadvantage

redbrouw
Nov 14, 2018

ACAB
#justiceforbolo

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

scary ghost dog posted:

more importantly travis rolled 1 point over vespins hp anyway before sam did silvery barbs shenanigans to put him at disadvantage

And Sam technically couldn't have used Silvery Barbs while holding a healing word ready (I think). So, the original rolls by Travis would have killed Vespin anyway.

Senjuro
Aug 19, 2006
And unless Vespin had two 9th level slots he couldn't have used Power Word Kill anyway as he burned that slot casting Time Stop when Zerxus cleansed him.

Agaragon
Nov 16, 2018

Senjuro posted:

And unless Vespin had two 9th level slots he couldn't have used Power Word Kill anyway as he burned that slot casting Time Stop when Zerxus cleansed him.

I chalked that up to Asmodeus buffing him up for the final push.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

A lone survivor flying over the ashes of the apocalypse is a way better visual than everyone just dying or whatever.

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!

Senjuro posted:

Brennan has said in interviews that he has an unofficial policy that using spells for cool/funny out-of-combat purposes doesn’t burn the slot. It can really foster creativity, and nobody has been dumb enough to try to abuse it yet.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

https://twitter.com/CriticalRole/status/1538990073861099521?s=20&t=RlGFF-Z3i6svDdw5nAXPUA

Senjuro
Aug 19, 2006
What the heck is Twitter Spaces? Text, video, audio?

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

Senjuro posted:

What the heck is Twitter Spaces? Text, video, audio?

Twitter version of streaming with chat or whatever

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
Goddamn I finally watched the back half of the last calamity episode and I fully ugly cried more than once. What a way to close out the miniseries.

If anything the Familiar game this week will be a nice palette cleanser before getting back to normal CR.

Antitonic
Sep 24, 2011

Invented By Gandhi
I know it’s probably a coincidence, but knowing this week is the Familiar one-shot makes Matt Mercer being stuck in Switzerland without a passport funny/interesting.

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

Hopefully it was filmed before they left. Otherwise they'll have a very jet lagged player at the table. (Which might be a bonus, really, based on the tone of the game).

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

I think it's pretty explicit that he, along with most of the rest of the cast, are on vacation, and that that's why Exandria Unlimited happened

Good for them

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
It was also probably recorded before the Switzerland vacation

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!
The biggest takeaway from the spaces for me (aside from Sam's workout regimen) was how close we came to full on PVP-which all players seemed prepared for (aabria had a flow chart RE surviving Travis?), and that Brennan had identified and factioned off certain players with private prep meetings.

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

The “A Familiar Problem” one shot just started and it’s already amazing.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Funzo posted:

The “A Familiar Problem” one shot just started and it’s already amazing.
For those who want to know more: Travis is playing Sprinkle.

DorkBot3000
Nov 3, 2012

I show 'em my ink hole.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

Crazy Ted posted:

For those who want to know more: Travis is playing Sprinkle.

But Matt's the one who has been Travelling?

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary
CHARCUTERIE BOARD :haw:

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Isabella Roland seems to be playing Ashley Johnson as an insult comic via a dragon.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

Paracaidas posted:

The biggest takeaway from the spaces for me (aside from Sam's workout regimen) was how close we came to full on PVP-which all players seemed prepared for (aabria had a flow chart RE surviving Travis?), and that Brennan had identified and factioned off certain players with private prep meetings.

Is there a transcript or something of the session anywhere?

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary
Freakout? :supaburn:

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
Birbs

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009