Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
Is Thanos proven right in Endgame outside of Captain America saw some whales once?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Timeless Appeal posted:

Is Thanos proven right in Endgame outside of Captain America saw some whales once?

Tony’s validated gently caress you got my heirs ideology post-snap

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
That's why they have Captain America seeing whales

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

ruddiger posted:

Tony’s validated gently caress you got my heirs ideology post-snap

gently caress you I hosed

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Timeless Appeal posted:

No, just that one line from Captain America was the film's sole "huh, makes you think" moment.

"Avengers: Endgame: posted:

STEVE ROGERS: You know I saw a pod of whales when I was coming up the bridge.

NATASHA ROMANOFF: In the Hudson?

STEVE ROGERS: There's fewer ships, cleaner water.

Which was loving hilarious to me because a whale sighting in the Hudson is something that already happens like almost every year because of less pollution, in real life.

What a dumbass movie lol, I enjoyed parts of it and did think it was a step up from Infinity War. Infinity War, that shot of Ruffalo's head pasted onto the Hulk Buster armor alone should get its own "how did this get made" episode.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

"Hey, maybe we shouldn't rule out population control. Just sayin' we shouldn't! Putting it out there!"

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Thanos is always a psychotic narcissist. He’s every strongman who some assholes say has a point because he’s so confident and calm. But he’s confident and calm because he’s got all the power. He’s absurdly overpowering the heroes and time and again he’s just shredding everyone. So he has the luxury of his smug certainty and self important rationalization.

In Endgame he flat out says that what makes him angry is that he did it and they still fought him. It’s never about any greater good. It’s always about being a god king. It’s why he’s got the relationship with his “daughters” he has. He’s demanding obedience and respect and when he sees the Avengers spite him it enrages him and he gets petty.

And Rogers isn’t saying “Thanos was right”. He’s attempting to give his deeply depressed friend a sliver of hope. He’s literally a grief counselor at that stage.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
On the other hand, when he kills half the universe he thinks "ok my job here is done" and goes to live on a farm

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Make all intelligent life half as big

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

2house2fly posted:

On the other hand, when he kills half the universe he thinks "ok my job here is done" and goes to live on a farm

Yeah because he’s self satisfied. He won. Then the Avengers kill him anyway and it pisses past him off. He flat out says something like “and still they fight”.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

STAC Goat posted:

And Rogers isn’t saying “Thanos was right”. He’s attempting to give his deeply depressed friend a sliver of hope. He’s literally a grief counselor at that stage.

With material like that no wonder everyone was so down.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Weirdly, the movie also uses "nature returning" to signal that Hulk's snap worked, when Scott sees birds outside the Avengers compound. It makes sense for Steve find a silver lining in the situation and mention the whales, but in movie-language the two scenes seem to be saying opposite things.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Neo Rasa posted:

With material like that no wonder everyone was so down.

I feel like Nat is very deliberately all “come the gently caress on, Steve”. It’s a pathetic silver lining for half of everyone being dead. It’s just all he’s got and he’s Cap so he just keeps punching away.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Valve Steam Deck posted:

The animated series didn't get to all of the bad comic stuff yet

Out of curiosity, what is the "bad comic stuff"? I enjoyed the show well enough, haven't ever even looked into the comics.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Mordiceius posted:

Out of curiosity, what is the "bad comic stuff"? I enjoyed the show well enough, haven't ever even looked into the comics.

How do you feel about rape

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Now there's a question with a very narrow range of good responses

BiggestBatman
Aug 23, 2018
Thanos is incredibly dumb and the character coasts purely on Josh Brolin's line delivery, but Infinity War Thanos is infinitely more interesting than Endgame's simple brute.

Would have been so much better for the second movie to have a new protagonist (some powerful being trying to stop them from changing the timeline?) but instead we just get worse Thanos so they can do some extra Avenging

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Burkion posted:

How do you feel about rape

Also fascism but like totally done right this time, promise

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

BiggestBatman posted:

Thanos is incredibly dumb and the character coasts purely on Josh Brolin's line delivery, but Infinity War Thanos is infinitely more interesting than Endgame's simple brute.

Would have been so much better for the second movie to have a new protagonist (some powerful being trying to stop them from changing the timeline?) but instead we just get worse Thanos so they can do some extra Avenging

Too much avenging in this Avengers movie.

BiggestBatman
Aug 23, 2018

Upsidads posted:

Also fascism but like totally done right this time, promise

Also a serious art style downgrade at one point

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

STAC Goat posted:

Pretty lovely grief counselor to say “the dude who victimized you was right about one thing!”

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Pirate Jet posted:

Pretty lovely grief counselor to say “the dude who victimized you was right about one thing!”

It's "Life goes on". Which is the exact same thing he said to the group earlier. You have to start living again, because there's only one alternative and it's dying. Doesn't really take much away from the massive scale of loss and guilt they all feel but as was said.....it's what he has, so he goes with it.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Lot of people somehow missing Thanos' motivation even though they essentially explicitly lay it out in the movies.

He wants to end half of all life because he feels he was right about Titan (they didn't listen to him and everyone died). It is his grief/narcissism/desire to be proven right that leads to his initial plan.

In Endgame, he gets pissed and wants to destroy Earth out of vengeance (giving lie to his "it's nothing personal" rationale) because they proved his initial plan wrong and he wouldn't have saved Titan.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Watched Multiverse of Madness. I think I'm kind of at odds with the MCU stuff finally, with what every movie, the antagonist du jour seemingly being more powerful and competent than the previous one. Where do you even go from Wanda?

Also, given the movie leaned a lot on the TV series for backstory, where does the Loki stuff fit in? I.e. the realm where infinity stones are dime a dozen paperweights, and I presume by consequence other powers would be worth gently caress all, too.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

The antagonists just fit the stories.

Like if we had Moon Knight taking on Wanda, he's hosed. But Dr. Strange, even if he's not a match for her, is still good enough to hold her off for a while until he can work out a plan.

Gorr coming up is someone that kills gods, so it fits he's facing Thor.

Plus having competent antagonists is good.

Noob Saibot
Jan 29, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
Christian Bale on joining the MCU: "I haven't entered poo poo"

https://twitter.com/discussingfilm/status/1539266246784466946?s=21&t=E8Hqo1Z6Zc3RZ4XJAaT5bg

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Codependent Poster posted:

The antagonists just fit the stories.

Like if we had Moon Knight taking on Wanda, he's hosed. But Dr. Strange, even if he's not a match for her, is still good enough to hold her off for a while until he can work out a plan.

Gorr coming up is someone that kills gods, so it fits he's facing Thor.

Plus having competent antagonists is good.

Bonus points if they're just a reskinned version of the hero.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

king poo poo.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

ndgame, he gets pissed and wants to destroy Earth out of vengeance (giving lie to his "it's nothing personal" rationale) because they proved his initial plan wrong and he wouldn't have saved Titan.

How did they prove this?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

YOLOsubmarine posted:

How did they prove this?

quote:

I thought by eliminating half of life, the other half would thrive, but you have shown me... that's impossible.

As long as there are those that remember what was, there will always be those that are unable to accept what can be. They will resist. In all my years of conquest, violence, slaughter, it was never personal. But I'll tell you now, what I'm about to do to your stubborn, annoying little planet... I'm gonna enjoy it. Very, very much.

I'm thankful. Because now I know what I must do. I will shred this universe down to its last atom and then, with the stones you've collected for me, create a new one. One that knows not what it has lost, but only what it has been given... a grateful universe.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Man, what a stupid movie

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Malthusian Thanos is so dumb.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

I liked him better in Endgame really. Destroying the universe and rebuilding it from the ground up so it'll behave is something you can imagine a person with the ability to reason doing if they have access to ultimate power

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Lmao, Christian Bale owns.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Watched Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness tonight, and I really liked it but doesn't this whole thing basically undo all of Wanda's growth as a character from WandaVision? I didn't like that part. I don't get why we needed her in this story and to basically have her come to the same conclusion she already came to in WandaVision but with a different outcome.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Combat Pretzel posted:

Watched Multiverse of Madness. I think I'm kind of at odds with the MCU stuff finally, with what every movie, the antagonist du jour seemingly being more powerful and competent than the previous one. Where do you even go from Wanda?

Also, given the movie leaned a lot on the TV series for backstory, where does the Loki stuff fit in? I.e. the realm where infinity stones are dime a dozen paperweights, and I presume by consequence other powers would be worth gently caress all, too.

They have been hinting at introducing literal gods that can create life and destroy whole universes at will with just a thought. MCU seems to be leaning more and more into magic, alternate universes, and god like beings now. Wanda is powerful, but nothing like what is in the comicbooks for villains.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I said come in! posted:

Watched Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness tonight, and I really liked it but doesn't this whole thing basically undo all of Wanda's growth as a character from WandaVision? I didn't like that part. I don't get why we needed her in this story and to basically have her come to the same conclusion she already came to in WandaVision but with a different outcome.

It ended with her starting to get taken over by the dark hold so no

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

CelticPredator posted:

It ended with her starting to get taken over by the dark hold so no

That is really weak and lame though. It's just a plot device that serves no purpose but to continue using the character in a video game like way.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Yeah but she blew peoples heads up and it rocked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

CelticPredator posted:

Yeah but she blew peoples heads up and it rocked.

fair point