Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
I tried repashy on the brittle Stars today, I have never seen them go nuts and go exploring trying to grab every little bit they could. My main serpent star, was triumphant with two pieces of flake that he quickly shoved into his stomach before hunting for more.

I didn't realize something today, and I've emailed my friend's family to find out, but I don't know if the water from their tank was rodi or straight tap water. Since I took about 20 gallons with me, and have done a few small water changes, moving them over to a 29 gallon where about 10 gallons of it was treated tap water, might have been a big stressor and why they were hiding and not out and around for food for a few days after the move.

I would like to get more rock for the tank, no corals or anything, just regular rock, but I'm not sure if a live rock is going to be good to add. All the aquarium stores near me have all of their salt water, and a lot of the fresh water in r o d i water, and I don't know how easy it would be to acclimate live rock to tap or if the rock would have to be cured if it's already in a display tank.

Times like this I realize I should have set up a personal Marine tank when I worked at the zoo and had access to pretty much everything for free, but that was a long time ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Aerofallosov posted:

He's gone to ludicrous speed!

He never stops!

Bonster
Mar 3, 2007

Keep rolling, rolling
I had a leak in a new-to-me tank, and just resealed the part of the tank where it seemed to be coming from. I have never even tried to reseal a tank before, the caulking doesn't look all that great, and I'm super nervous for when I refill the tank. Fortunately, the fish are in a spare tank so I don't have to worry about them, but I really like this tank and I'm afraid of ruining it.

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

As long as the leaking area was cleaned up (old silicone removed, wipe glass with alcohol) and the silicone you used for the repair is acid cure with no mould/mildew inhibitors, it should be fine. Some silicone isn't meant to be used where it will be permanently submerged. Usually the label gives you a good idea on whether it's the right stuff or not. Give it a good chance to cure then water test, it honestly doesn't matter if it's lumpy or ugly as long as you got good clean contact with the glass.

Edit to add: you can't really ruin a tank resealing it, if it goes wrong just scrape it all off with a razor blade and try again, the glass will still be good.

Bonster
Mar 3, 2007

Keep rolling, rolling

Stoca Zola posted:

As long as the leaking area was cleaned up (old silicone removed, wipe glass with alcohol) and the silicone you used for the repair is acid cure with no mould/mildew inhibitors, it should be fine. Some silicone isn't meant to be used where it will be permanently submerged. Usually the label gives you a good idea on whether it's the right stuff or not. Give it a good chance to cure then water test, it honestly doesn't matter if it's lumpy or ugly as long as you got good clean contact with the glass.

Edit to add: you can't really ruin a tank resealing it, if it goes wrong just scrape it all off with a razor blade and try again, the glass will still be good.

Thanks! It's aquarium silicone, so it's meant for tanks.

Weird thing happened in my parent's koi pond. There are small fish that appeared in there - I haven't been able to get a picture of them to ID them, but they're definitely not koi. I think they probably hitched a ride as eggs, but the garden center they came from doesn't have fish in their water plant area. I'm looking forward to figuring out what these little mystery fish are!

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

So I just found this little thing attached to a piece of moss in my freshwater aquarium. I removed it but I'm curious about what it might be. The tank normally has cherry shrimps, corys, nerites, and mollies.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Hydra. Little assholes. I'd get them from feeding live food to my axolotl babies or fish.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Call Your Grandma posted:

So I just found this little thing attached to a piece of moss in my freshwater aquarium. I removed it but I'm curious about what it might be. The tank normally has cherry shrimps, corys, nerites, and mollies.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydra_(genus)

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.

Bonster posted:

Thanks! It's aquarium silicone, so it's meant for tanks.

Weird thing happened in my parent's koi pond. There are small fish that appeared in there - I haven't been able to get a picture of them to ID them, but they're definitely not koi. I think they probably hitched a ride as eggs, but the garden center they came from doesn't have fish in their water plant area. I'm looking forward to figuring out what these little mystery fish are!

Ducks (and possibly other birds) are a likely vector for mystery pond fish:

https://www.audubon.org/news/mallards-ferry-fish-eggs-between-waterbodies-through-their-poop

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Put together a 450 gallon above ground pond for father's day. It is about 6' x 5' x 2' deep

Started out about two weeks ago with a bowl full of water, added some dirt from the pond site, leaves, moss, sticks from the immediate area in an attempt to cultivate something approaching local outdoor acquaculture to prime the pond. It's now a disgusting mosquito larvae infested dish. Soon to be fish food I guess. Color of the water looks like tea, orange brown but clear

Some pond plants arrived, tossed them in large Tupperware storage bin with a pump. My toddler promptly disassembled them but I think a few survived. Innoculated the Tupperware container with two ounces of water from the bowl of mosquitoes. With the aquatic plants and no fish the water has stayed very clear. I think I have ~4 lbs of ceramic and plastic bio balls in there

Pond is just screwed together pressure treated (rot resistant) lumber from Lowe's, and an Amazon 10x13' pond liner. Took almost two hours to fill this afternoon. Tossed a 650gph pond pump with ceramic and plastic bio media, and a UV light in the pond after running it for a bit in a bucket. Top is trimmed with raw, rot resistant cedar. Didn't have enough will need to come back and fill in some gaps

Water temp is ~75 degrees? With the pump and heat I would imagine most of the chlorine will be out by tomorrow. I've been adding an ounce from the bowl and six oz from the Tupperware container every 4 hours to seed the pond. Also transferred the 4lbs ceramic hollow pellets to the pond

Thinking about putting a single goldfish in tomorrow afternoon, and later this week two more, plus about a dozen neon tetras and see how the tank does

I have a ~15 gallon ceramic vase I'm going to put in the corner, fill it with the ceramic and bio balls and do an upwelling bog filter thing that water falls back into the pond on one end

Water level comes up to about shoulder level on my toddler. So I'll need to keep an eye on her, but not super concerned about it being a drowning hazard as she's supervised in the back yard

In the photos, the sun rises on the left, then behind the fence/tree and filters through several other trees in the late afternoon so not a lot of direct sunlight but gets 6x6" patches throughout the day, tons of indirect sunlight

Wife wants the neighbor's Japanese maple trimmed back, going to wait a few days on that and do the bare minimum

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Call Your Grandma posted:

Looks like a hydra. Think small jellyfish/anemone.

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

Hadlock posted:

Put together a 450 gallon above ground pond for father's day. It is about 6' x 5' x 2' deep

Looks pretty good for now, although I don’t know much about above ground ponds like that. I’m still working on my 8’ x 11’ hole in the ground pond, I’ve been digging it by hand on and off since November but I think I’m nearly done digging. The clay at the level I’m digging is tough to get through! I was breaking it up with a pick but the repeated impacts made my carpal tunnel flare up so I switched to a 5 foot digging/wrecking bar. Breaks off smaller pieces but I can go faster and without hurting myself. Really not as fun as swinging a pick though. Only pic I could find is from when I was roughing out the hole for the skimmer box, the box is in position and levelled now and I’ve just got the deepest level of the pond left to dig. There’s 3 layers inside the pond and a mini layer at the top to hold the rocks at the edge of the pond liner in place. In theory the rocks disguise the edge of the liner, stop it from being exposed to UV from the sun, and if done right should make changes in water level due to evaporation much less obvious.

I like your approach for cultivating pond life! The plants will have had some hitch hikers too. I’m going to use aquarium water/filter squeezings in mine, I have tons of worms, copepods, other tiny guys that I hope will like living in a pond. I think you could get away with not running the UV at all if you’re not in direct sun, but it’s good to have just in case, better than trying to add it later if you really need it. I’m planning on letting my pond get as ugly as it needs to on the way to becoming a balanced system - mine should get a lot of shade too so I don’t expect much drama. I’ve got a plastic tub that I want to use for a bog, in addition to the waterfall and skimmer that came with the pond liner. Currently trying to work out where to put it so I can still easily drain solids out of the bottom once it fills up. Don’t forget your siphon break on the bog inlet to stop muck siphoning back into the pond if the pump loses power!

I would have loved growing up with a decent pond when I was a kid, had to settle for visiting my aunt’s goldfish - I bet your kid(s) will have a great time with it. Try white clouds or danios over neons for better temperature resilience, but goldfish will eat anything smaller than them as soon as they get big enough to try. And little fish will jump trying to escape big fish - I’m hoping that a ground level pond will help to avoid fish jerky since any fish who jumps out should be able to flippy flip it’s way back in.

Bonster
Mar 3, 2007

Keep rolling, rolling
Yeah, some kind of small minnow will probably be happier than neons. As I found out, small fish might just appear as volunteers!

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

How far North are you? A lot of interesting options out there depending on temperature.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Warbadger posted:

How far North are you? A lot of interesting options out there depending on temperature.

I'm about halfway between Charleston SC and Norfolk, something like USDA zone 7a/b which means it never gets below 20F for more than a few days, but once a decade it gets down to 10F for 12 hours and is cold enough to kill anything that even looks like a citrus

We ended up with two goldfish fantails and 2 orange and white comet, which I understand are pretty hardy

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Friend to Fishes. Just keep swimming.
I like gambusia/mosquito fish. They eat the larva and skeeters. In Sochi, there's even a statue of the fish since so few people had malaria. Thanks, little dudes.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Why is it that every week I make a fuckup with my marine tank? is it the pressure of not loving it up?

I overfed on Saturday night with Repashy, did a water change Sunday (about 5 gallons) and this morning, misty water. Great. I checked the salinity of my new water and it's a bit low, so added more salt, now have to wait for it to mix, and then recheck, and hopefully water change in the morning.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

Cowslips Warren posted:

Why is it that every week I make a fuckup with my marine tank? is it the pressure of not loving it up?

I overfed on Saturday night with Repashy, did a water change Sunday (about 5 gallons) and this morning, misty water. Great. I checked the salinity of my new water and it's a bit low, so added more salt, now have to wait for it to mix, and then recheck, and hopefully water change in the morning.

This is why I keep to fresh water. Even though in my area, I can easily fine saltwater fish and such in local fish stores. I do not have the desire to fight salinity mix.

That said, repashy is some good stuff and you reminded me I need to mix some up again for my fish. It has been a bit of time since i last put some together. I especially like the one for the algae eaters as I can then take river stones and coat half with the repashy and let set. Then place in the tank for the algae eaters to nom on.

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

JuffoWup posted:

This is why I keep to fresh water. Even though in my area, I can easily fine saltwater fish and such in local fish stores. I do not have the desire to fight salinity mix.

The right tools (refractometer plus calibration fluid for checking new water, ATO for the tank) make salinity pretty easy.

I don't think saltwater is really that much more difficult than freshwater, it's just different. I have a harder time keeping my planted tank looking nice than my reef tanks.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Hadlock posted:

I'm about halfway between Charleston SC and Norfolk, something like USDA zone 7a/b which means it never gets below 20F for more than a few days, but once a decade it gets down to 10F for 12 hours and is cold enough to kill anything that even looks like a citrus

We ended up with two goldfish fantails and 2 orange and white comet, which I understand are pretty hardy

Golden Topminnows would be a reasonably good native fish option for an outdoor pond in that area.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

DeadlyMuffin posted:

The right tools (refractometer plus calibration fluid for checking new water, ATO for the tank) make salinity pretty easy.

I don't think saltwater is really that much more difficult than freshwater, it's just different. I have a harder time keeping my planted tank looking nice than my reef tanks.

yeah it's not much more difficult, just me being a dumbass.

I mean tapwater comes out here at about 90*F in the summer (so it kills ich on contact, cool) so I have to fill 30 gallon totes to let the water chill before I use any in the tanks. It's not much more different than saltwater, save I can add ice cubes if needed to try and drop it from 84 to 80 over the course of a few hours.

It is a bit difficult in the fact I don't see all the animals in the salt tank all the time, so I am always worried one died and is fouling up the water bad.

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

I’ve been having ph issues after a water change on Saturday. I’ve treated it etc.. but just found out that my town water is going through the main treatment plant in the city, instead of the local island/sand filtered water near me. Great :sigh:

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

toggle posted:

I’ve been having ph issues after a water change on Saturday. I’ve treated it etc.. but just found out that my town water is going through the main treatment plant in the city, instead of the local island/sand filtered water near me. Great :sigh:

What kind of pH issues and what kind of tank?

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Good news, new privately owned pet store opening up close to me that does salt and fresh water.

Bad news, they confirmed that all of their water for their tanks will be rodi. I understand using that kind of water for planted tanks or Coral reefs, but for the average fish it's just stupid, and I hate the thought of having to acclimate fish already stressed out to liquid rock water especially if they're rift lake cichlids or something that's already used to that naturally.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Aerofallosov posted:

I like gambusia/mosquito fish. They eat the larva and skeeters. In Sochi, there's even a statue of the fish since so few people had malaria. Thanks, little dudes.

Thanks for helping me learn. I'd never heard of these critters before. They look remarkably similar to guppies and endlers. Very cool!

My latest joy was yesterday watching the patio pond quietly. I noticed a mosquito on the surface, and guessed it was laying eggs. I was just having a little laugh to myself "hahaha, those larvae don't stand a chance in there." when suddenly, BLOOP! The whole skeeter got guppy'd! Death from below. Outstanding work, my little fishy pals. Keep it up.

Bonster
Mar 3, 2007

Keep rolling, rolling

Cowslips Warren posted:

yeah it's not much more difficult, just me being a dumbass.

I mean tapwater comes out here at about 90*F in the summer (so it kills ich on contact, cool) so I have to fill 30 gallon totes to let the water chill before I use any in the tanks. It's not much more different than saltwater, save I can add ice cubes if needed to try and drop it from 84 to 80 over the course of a few hours.

It is a bit difficult in the fact I don't see all the animals in the salt tank all the time, so I am always worried one died and is fouling up the water bad.

Get some emerald crabs and you won't need to worry about that!

Dead ones disappear in no time. They're super cute and I love watching mine eating mineral bites and shrimp pellets, carefully holding them in one claw and using the other claw to break off a bit and stuff it in their face. They're also one of the best algae eaters.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I'll need more rock first. Hopefully once this bloom settles, I can get some. How long to acclimate wet live rock if the pet store has it in RO but mine is tap?

Drip acclimation to be sure but would an hour or two be safe not to kill all the live parts?

Bonster
Mar 3, 2007

Keep rolling, rolling

Cowslips Warren posted:

I'll need more rock first. Hopefully once this bloom settles, I can get some. How long to acclimate wet live rock if the pet store has it in RO but mine is tap?

Drip acclimation to be sure but would an hour or two be safe not to kill all the live parts?

Yeah, that would be plenty. Most things that live on store-bought live rock are pretty tough.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Cowslips Warren posted:

Good news, new privately owned pet store opening up close to me that does salt and fresh water.

Bad news, they confirmed that all of their water for their tanks will be rodi. I understand using that kind of water for planted tanks or Coral reefs, but for the average fish it's just stupid, and I hate the thought of having to acclimate fish already stressed out to liquid rock water especially if they're rift lake cichlids or something that's already used to that naturally.

I mean, all things considered it’s probably going to be less stressful for your fish to acclimate to some RODI than it would be to acclimate them to water with a ton of dissolved compounds in it

From a water top off standpoint, adding RODI should maintain the existing tonic balance of your tank since those aforementioned solids don’t evaporate out.

Obviously if you’re doing big water changes and flushes that goes out the window.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
See if I was doing a reef tank, or a planted tank, I would do ro-di. But seeing as most of my fish prefer the hard water, and I'm not keeping something like discus or trying to breed fancy plecos that haven't been bred in captivity for generations, if I was trying to do a black water tank, yeah rodi would be perfect.

But keeping African rift cichlids or cherry shrimp and reverse osmosis water is just stupid and Overkill because of all the add-ons I would have to put back into the water so they would actually survive.

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

One of my fairy basslets has some sort of tissue necrosis right above the eye. I thought it was a parasite at first, but turns out it was the top of the eyeball.

I'm going to hit the tank with antibiotics, and I did a few dip, but I'm really not optimistic.

Crap.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Cowslips Warren posted:

See if I was doing a reef tank, or a planted tank, I would do ro-di. But seeing as most of my fish prefer the hard water, and I'm not keeping something like discus or trying to breed fancy plecos that haven't been bred in captivity for generations, if I was trying to do a black water tank, yeah rodi would be perfect.

But keeping African rift cichlids or cherry shrimp and reverse osmosis water is just stupid and Overkill because of all the add-ons I would have to put back into the water so they would actually survive.

nah, just add back some treated city water

you’re hella overthinking things I think. Is anything visibly stressed or struggling?

Bonster
Mar 3, 2007

Keep rolling, rolling

Cowslips Warren posted:

Honestly, I use tap water and some of the stores around here use rodi, some don't. It's only really a concern if you're dealing with really delicate corals and such - my other fish adapt just fine, and I live in limestone country. Just drip acclimate for a couple of hours and they're good.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I think I'm just overthinking so much.

I can drip acclimate, have done it before. But it was never with my own stock.

Plus how do you tell if a brittle star is stressed?

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

Cowslips Warren posted:

I think I'm just overthinking so much.

I can drip acclimate, have done it before. But it was never with my own stock.

Plus how do you tell if a brittle star is stressed?

It starts dropping legs, or curling up

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Stoca Zola posted:

Looks pretty good for now, although I don’t know much about above ground ponds like that. I’m still working on my 8’ x 11’ hole in the ground pond, I’ve been digging it by hand on and off since November but I think I’m nearly done digging. The clay at the level I’m digging is tough to get through! I was breaking it up with a pick but the repeated impacts made my carpal tunnel flare up so I switched to a 5 foot digging/wrecking bar. Breaks off smaller pieces but I can go faster and without hurting myself. Really not as fun as swinging a pick though. Only pic I could find is from when I was roughing out the hole for the skimmer box, the box is in position and levelled now and I’ve just got the deepest level of the pond left to dig. There’s 3 layers inside the pond and a mini layer at the top to hold the rocks at the edge of the pond liner in place. In theory the rocks disguise the edge of the liner, stop it from being exposed to UV from the sun, and if done right should make changes in water level due to evaporation much less obvious.

This is exactly why I did an above-ground pond. 0 to pond in about 8 hours, plus a week or two of waiting for Pond Things to arrive via amazon, vs 8 months of digging

If this is a success, in the fall we're going to rent a one ton excavator:

https://www.compactpowerrents.com/rental-equipment/mini-excavator/1-ton-mini-excavator/

For about $300(!!! cheap) and dig out one, possibly two (connected) 6x6 ponds ~2-3 ft deep in the front and a similar in the rear, in a day, but with a 4.5' pit to help with overwintering/temp control, something like this

code:
 _
|_|
  \ \
     _
    |_|
in another part of the yard. Then put in a hot tub for the wife where the pond used to be. Hopefully get it installed and cycled before the fish go into hibernation mode in octoberish?

Warbadger posted:

Golden Topminnows would be a reasonably good native fish option for an outdoor pond in that area.

I have a dozen of these queued up in my cart to order on monday when I get back in town, along with six dwarf crawfish now, thanks!

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

I was worried my remaining angelfish wouldn't take too kindly to a new one being added to the 55g but after about one day of chasing and nipping at the new angel, which is significantly smaller, they seem to have chilled out. In fact, the smaller angelfish seems to seek out the larger one at times. I also rebuilt my black skirt tetra school and it is nice to watch them schooling.

E: these are the first angelfish I've had in ages. Besides the black skirts they share the 55g with a solitary festivum who is the boss of the tank but not too bad. I'd love to add keyholes but I'm not sure if they will get picked on too much by the angels or the festivum. The festivum ignores the tetras but everyone now and then makes an attack run on the larger angelfish.

Bulky Bartokomous fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Jun 27, 2022

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Bulky Bartokomous posted:

I was worried my remaining angelfish wouldn't take too kindly to a new one being added to the 55g but after about one day of chasing and nipping at the new angel, which is significantly smaller, they seem to have chilled out. In fact, the smaller angelfish seems to seek out the larger one at times. I also rebuilt my black skirt tetra school and it is nice to watch them schooling.

E: these are the first angelfish I've had in ages. Besides the black skirts they share the 55g with a solitary festivum who is the boss of the tank but not too bad. I'd love to add keyholes but I'm not sure if they will get picked on too much by the angels or the festivum. The festivum ignores the tetras but everyone now and then makes an attack run on the larger angelfish.

Are they schooling fish? It’s generally considered advisable to have more than two (or is it three?) individuals to prevent the exclusive bullying of whomever is smallest/weakest/least aggressive

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Ok Comboomer posted:

Are they schooling fish? It’s generally considered advisable to have more than two (or is it three?) individuals to prevent the exclusive bullying of whomever is smallest/weakest/least aggressive

Angels tend to pair up in mating pairs and become really territorial. Doesn't help that they're opposite named of their attitude. They're usually the aggressive assholes of a tank. When they're small they tend to be ok with eachother. Once they hit that horny teen level they get real abusive to each other, and once paired and the female lays eggs, jesus they attack anything and everything. Beautiful fish though. Wouldn't mind having a few again when the time comes to restock

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Friend to Fishes. Just keep swimming.
They did a study about Angelfish and what they do when not being watched.

The scientists got happy fish during the day, and it turns out at night (when it was just a camera), the angelfishes turned on the aggression and beat up whatever was in their way. Angelfish are smart.