Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Vote to threadban Bioshuffle
This poll is closed.
Yes (Goku) 146 85.38%
No (also Goku) 25 14.62%
Total: 171 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

drunken officeparty posted:

Has anyone ever noticed there's a kind of similarity between Homelander and Superman?

holy poo poo Homelander backwards is "supermander"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.

Lady Radia posted:

does anyone know why Starlight is so afraid of homelander??

Because the 789

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
has anyone noticed homelander's outfit has red white and blue? i think he's supposed to be an symbol of putin's government in russia

e: there's no z in homelander

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

alexandriao posted:

No, it's literally screenwriting 101

https://thewritingasylum.com/2022/04/25/story-basics-101-show-dont-tell/

https://www.newbiescreenwriters.com/blog/tips-and-tricks/show-dont-tell-101/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Show%2C_don%27t_tell?wprov=sfla1

It doesn't mean you have to take up an entire scene with it, you don't need 5 pages of screenwriting to demonstrate it, but the ideal with film is showing, not telling.

The fact that the only ways to show that you and other people here can think of are bad (including some of the people arguing for it, tbh), tells us more about you than it does about the concept of using film as a visual medium

Just because something is a basic heuristic that helps guide new authors away from making basic mistakes doesn’t mean a skilled writer can’t get by without using it. Something being a fundamental building block of an art form doesn’t necessarily apply to people at the top of the heap who know what the rules are and how to break them.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

while everyone’s waiting on the next episode you should take a moment to read Dorothy Thompson’s 1941 article, Who Goes Nazi?

quote:

It is an interesting and somewhat macabre parlor game to play at a large gathering of one’s acquaintances: to speculate who in a showdown would go Nazi. By now, I think I know. I have gone through the experience many times—in Germany, in Austria, and in France. I have come to know the types: the born Nazis, the Nazis whom democracy itself has created, the certain-to-be fellow-travelers. And I also know those who never, under any conceivable circumstances, would become Nazis.

It is preposterous to think that they are divided by any racial characteristics. Germans may be more susceptible to Nazism than most people, but I doubt it. Jews are barred out, but it is an arbitrary ruling. I know lots of Jews who are born Nazis and many others who would heil Hitler tomorrow morning if given a chance. There are Jews who have repudiated their own ancestors in order to become “Honorary Aryans and Nazis”; there are full-blooded Jews who have enthusiastically entered Hitler’s secret service. Nazism has nothing to do with race and nationality. It appeals to a certain type of mind.

It is also, to an immense extent, the disease of a generation—the generation which was either young or unborn at the end of the last war. This is as true of Englishmen, Frenchmen, and Americans as of Germans. It is the disease of the so-called “lost generation.”

Sometimes I think there are direct biological factors at work—a type of education, feeding, and physical training which has produced a new kind of human being with an imbalance in his nature. He has been fed vitamins and filled with energies that are beyond the capacity of his intellect to discipline. He has been treated to forms of education which have released him from inhibitions. His body is vigorous. His mind is childish. His soul has been almost completely neglected.

At any rate, let us look round the room.

The gentleman standing beside the fireplace with an almost untouched glass of whiskey beside him on the mantelpiece is Mr. A, a descendant of one of the great American families. There has never been an American Blue Book without several persons of his surname in it. He is poor and earns his living as an editor. He has had a classical education, has a sound and cultivated taste in literature, painting, and music; has not a touch of snobbery in him; is full of humor, courtesy, and wit. He was a lieutenant in the World War, is a Republican in politics, but voted twice for Roosevelt, last time for Willkie. He is modest, not particularly brilliant, a staunch friend, and a man who greatly enjoys the company of pretty and witty women. His wife, whom he adored, is dead, and he will never remarry.

He has never attracted any attention because of outstanding bravery. But I will put my hand in the fire that nothing on earth could ever make him a Nazi. He would greatly dislike fighting them, but they could never convert him. . . . Why not?

Beside him stands Mr. B, a man of his own class, graduate of the same preparatory school and university, rich, a sportsman, owner of a famous racing stable, vice-president of a bank, married to a well-known society belle. He is a good fellow and extremely popular. But if America were going Nazi he would certainly join up, and early. Why? . . . Why the one and not the other?

Mr. A has a life that is established according to a certain form of personal behavior. Although he has no money, his unostentatious distinction and education have always assured him a position. He has never been engaged in sharp competition. He is a free man. I doubt whether ever in his life he has done anything he did not want to do or anything that was against his code. Nazism wouldn’t fit in with his standards and he has never become accustomed to making concessions.

Mr. B has risen beyond his real abilities by virtue of health, good looks, and being a good mixer. He married for money and he has done lots of other things for money. His code is not his own; it is that of his class—no worse, no better, He fits easily into whatever pattern is successful. That is his sole measure of value—success. Nazism as a minority movement would not attract him. As a movement likely to attain power, it would.

The saturnine man over there talking with a lovely French emigree is already a Nazi. Mr. C is a brilliant and embittered intellectual. He was a poor white-trash Southern boy, a scholarship student at two universities where he took all the scholastic honors but was never invited to join a fraternity. His brilliant gifts won for him successively government positions, partnership in a prominent law firm, and eventually a highly paid job as a Wall Street adviser. He has always moved among important people and always been socially on the periphery. His colleagues have admired his brains and exploited them, but they have seldom invited him—or his wife—to dinner.

He is a snob, loathing his own snobbery. He despises the men about him—he despises, for instance, Mr. B—because he knows that what he has had to achieve by relentless work men like B have won by knowing the right people. But his contempt is inextricably mingled with envy. Even more than he hates the class into which he has insecurely risen, does he hate the people from whom he came. He hates his mother and his father for being his parents. He loathes everything that reminds him of his origins and his humiliations. He is bitterly anti-Semitic because the social insecurity of the Jews reminds him of his own psychological insecurity.

Pity he has utterly erased from his nature, and joy he has never known. He has an ambition, bitter and burning. It is to rise to such an eminence that no one can ever again humiliate him. Not to rule but to be the secret ruler, pulling the strings of puppets created by his brains. Already some of them are talking his language—though they have never met him.

There he sits: he talks awkwardly rather than glibly; he is courteous. He commands a distant and cold respect. But he is a very dangerous man. Were he primitive and brutal he would be a criminal—a murderer. But he is subtle and cruel. He would rise high in a Nazi regime. It would need men just like him—intellectual and ruthless. But Mr. C is not a born Nazi. He is the product of a democracy hypocritically preaching social equality and practicing a carelessly brutal snobbery. He is a sensitive, gifted man who has been humiliated into nihilism. He would laugh to see heads roll.

I think young D over there is the only born Nazi in the room. Young D is the spoiled only son of a doting mother. He has never been crossed in his life. He spends his time at the game of seeing what he can get away with. He is constantly arrested for speeding and his mother pays the fines. He has been ruthless toward two wives and his mother pays the alimony. His life is spent in sensation-seeking and theatricality. He is utterly inconsiderate of everybody. He is very good-looking, in a vacuous, cavalier way, and inordinately vain. He would certainly fancy himself in a uniform that gave him a chance to swagger and lord it over others.

Mrs. E would go Nazi as sure as you are born. That statement surprises you? Mrs. E seems so sweet, so clinging, so cowed. She is. She is a masochist. She is married to a man who never ceases to humiliate her, to lord it over her, to treat her with less consideration than he does his dogs. He is a prominent scientist, and Mrs. E, who married him very young, has persuaded herself that he is a genius, and that there is something of superior womanliness in her utter lack of pride, in her doglike devotion. She speaks disapprovingly of other “masculine” or insufficiently devoted wives. Her husband, however, is bored to death with her. He neglects her completely and she is looking for someone else before whom to pour her ecstatic self-abasement. She will titillate with pleased excitement to the first popular hero who proclaims the basic subordination of women.

On the other hand, Mrs. F would never go Nazi. She is the most popular woman in the room, handsome, gay, witty, and full of the warmest emotion. She was a popular actress ten years ago; married very happily; promptly had four children in a row; has a charming house, is not rich but has no money cares, has never cut herself off from her own happy-go-lucky profession, and is full of sound health and sound common sense. All men try to make love to her; she laughs at them all, and her husband is amused. She has stood on her own feet since she was a child, she has enormously helped her husband’s career (he is a lawyer), she would ornament any drawing-room in any capital, and she is as American as ice cream and cake.

II

How about the butler who is passing the drinks? I look at James with amused eyes. James is safe. James has been butler to the ‘ighest aristocracy, considers all Nazis parvenus and communists, and has a very good sense for “people of quality.” He serves the quiet editor with that friendly air of equality which good servants always show toward those they consider good enough to serve, and he serves the horsy gent stiffly and coldly.

Bill, the grandson of the chauffeur, is helping serve to-night. He is a product of a Bronx public school and high school, and works at night like this to help himself through City College, where he is studying engineering. He is a “proletarian,” though you’d never guess it if you saw him without that white coat. He plays a crack game of tennis—has been a tennis tutor in summer resorts—swims superbly, gets straight A’s in his classes, and thinks America is okay and don’t let anybody say it isn’t. He had a brief period of Youth Congress communism, but it was like the measles. He was not taken in the draft because his eyes are not good enough, but he wants to design airplanes, “like Sikorsky.” He thinks Lindbergh is “just another pilot with a build-up and a rich wife” and that he is “always talking down America, like how we couldn’t lick Hitler if we wanted to.” At this point Bill snorts.

Mr. G is a very intellectual young man who was an infant prodigy. He has been concerned with general ideas since the age of ten and has one of those minds that can scintillatingly rationalize everything. I have known him for ten years and in that time have heard him enthusiastically explain Marx, social credit, technocracy, Keynesian economics, Chestertonian distributism, and everything else one can imagine. Mr. G will never be a Nazi, because he will never be anything. His brain operates quite apart from the rest of his apparatus. He will certainly be able, however, fully to explain and apologize for Nazism if it ever comes along. But Mr. G is always a “deviationist.” When he played with communism he was a Trotskyist; when he talked of Keynes it was to suggest improvement; Chesterton’s economic ideas were all right but he was too bound to Catholic philosophy. So we may be sure that Mr. G would be a Nazi with purse-lipped qualifications. He would certainly be purged.

H is an historian and biographer. He is American of Dutch ancestry born and reared in the Middle West. He has been in love with America all his life. He can recite whole chapters of Thoreau and volumes of American poetry, from Emerson to Steve Benet. He knows Jefferson’s letters, Hamilton’s papers, Lincoln’s speeches. He is a collector of early American furniture, lives in New England, runs a farm for a hobby and doesn’t lose much money on it, and loathes parties like this one. He has a ribald and manly sense of humor, is unconventional and lost a college professorship because of a love affair. Afterward he married the lady and has lived happily ever afterward as the wages of sin.

H has never doubted his own authentic Americanism for one instant. This is his country, and he knows it from Acadia to Zenith. His ancestors fought in the Revolutionary War and in all the wars since. He is certainly an intellectual, but an intellectual smelling slightly of cow barns and damp tweeds. He is the most good-natured and genial man alive, but if anyone ever tries to make this country over into an imitation of Hitler’s, Mussolini’s, or Petain’s systems H will grab a gun and fight. Though H’s liberalism will not permit him to say it, it is his secret conviction that nobody whose ancestors have not been in this country since before the Civil War really understands America or would really fight for it against Nazism or any other foreign ism in a showdown.

But H is wrong. There is one other person in the room who would fight alongside H and he is not even an American citizen. He is a young German emigre, whom I brought along to the party. The people in the room look at him rather askance because he is so Germanic, so very blond-haired, so very blue-eyed, so tanned that somehow you expect him to be wearing shorts. He looks like the model of a Nazi. His English is flawed—he learned it only five years ago. He comes from an old East Prussian family; he was a member of the post-war Youth Movement and afterward of the Republican “Reichsbanner.” All his German friends went Nazi—without exception. He hiked to Switzerland penniless, there pursued his studies in New Testament Greek, sat under the great Protestant theologian, Karl Barth, came to America through the assistance of an American friend whom he had met in a university, got a job teaching the classics in a fashionable private school; quit, and is working now in an airplane factory—working on the night shift to make planes to send to Britain to defeat Germany. He has devoured volumes of American history, knows Whitman by heart, wonders why so few Americans have ever really read the Federalist papers, believes in the United States of Europe, the Union of the English-speaking world, and the coming democratic revolution all over the earth. He believes that America is the country of Creative Evolution once it shakes off its middle-class complacency, its bureaucratized industry, its tentacle-like and spreading government, and sets itself innerly free.

The people in the room think he is not an American, but he is more American than almost any of them. He has discovered America and his spirit is the spirit of the pioneers. He is furious with America because it does not realize its strength and beauty and power. He talks about the workmen in the factory where he is employed. . . . He took the job “in order to understand the real America.” He thinks the men are wonderful. “Why don’t you American intellectuals ever get to them; talk to them?”

I grin bitterly to myself, thinking that if we ever got into war with the Nazis he would probably be interned, while Mr. B and Mr. G and Mrs. E would be spreading defeatism at all such parties as this one. “Of course I don’t like Hitler but . . .”

Mr. J over there is a Jew. Mr. J is a very important man. He is immensely rich—he has made a fortune through a dozen directorates in various companies, through a fabulous marriage, through a speculative flair, and through a native gift for money and a native love of power. He is intelligent and arrogant. He seldom associates with Jews. He deplores any mention of the “Jewish question.” He believes that Hitler “should not be judged from the standpoint of anti-Semitism.” He thinks that “the Jews should be reserved on all political questions.” He considers Roosevelt “an enemy of business.” He thinks “It was a serious blow to the Jews that Frankfurter should have been appointed to the Supreme Court.”

The saturnine Mr. C—the real Nazi in the room—engages him in a flatteringly attentive conversation. Mr. J agrees with Mr. C wholly. Mr. J is definitely attracted by Mr. C. He goes out of his way to ask his name—they have never met before. “A very intelligent man.”

Mr. K contemplates the scene with a sad humor in his expressive eyes. Mr. K is also a Jew. Mr. K is a Jew from the South. He speaks with a Southern drawl. He tells inimitable stories. Ten years ago he owned a very successful business that he had built up from scratch. He sold it for a handsome price, settled his indigent relatives in business, and now enjoys an income for himself of about fifty dollars a week. At forty he began to write articles about odd and out-of-the-way places in American life. A bachelor, and a sad man who makes everybody laugh, he travels continually, knows America from a thousand different facets, and loves it in a quiet, deep, unostentatious way. He is a great friend of H, the biographer. Like H, his ancestors have been in this country since long before the Civil War. He is attracted to the young German. By and by they are together in the drawing-room. The impeccable gentleman of New England, the country-man—intellectual of the Middle West, the happy woman whom the gods love, the young German, the quiet, poised Jew from the South. And over on the other side are the others.

Mr. L has just come in. Mr. L is a lion these days. My hostess was all of a dither when she told me on the telephone, “ . . . and L is coming. You know it’s dreadfully hard to get him.” L is a very powerful labor leader. “My dear, he is a man of the people, but really fascinating.“ L is a man of the people and just exactly as fascinating as my horsy, bank vice-president, on-the-make acquaintance over there, and for the same reasons and in the same way. L makes speeches about the “third of the nation,” and L has made a darned good thing for himself out of championing the oppressed. He has the best car of anyone in this room; salary means nothing to him because he lives on an expense account. He agrees with the very largest and most powerful industrialists in the country that it is the business of the strong to boss the weak, and he has made collective bargaining into a legal compulsion to appoint him or his henchmen as “labor’s” agents, with the power to tax pay envelopes and do what they please with the money. L is the strongest natural-born Nazi in this room. Mr. B regards him with contempt tempered by hatred. Mr. B will use him. L is already parroting B’s speeches. He has the brains of Neanderthal man, but he has an infallible instinct for power. In private conversation he denounces the Jews as “parasites.” No one has ever asked him what are the creative functions of a highly paid agent, who takes a percentage off the labor of millions of men, and distributes it where and as it may add to his own political power.

III

It’s fun—a macabre sort of fun—this parlor game of “Who Goes Nazi?” And it simplifies things—asking the question in regard to specific personalities.

Kind, good, happy, gentlemanly, secure people never go Nazi. They may be the gentle philosopher whose name is in the Blue Book, or Bill from City College to whom democracy gave a chance to design airplanes—you’ll never make Nazis out of them. But the frustrated and humiliated intellectual, the rich and scared speculator, the spoiled son, the labor tyrant, the fellow who has achieved success by smelling out the wind of success—they would all go Nazi in a crisis.

Believe me, nice people don’t go Nazi. Their race, color, creed, or social condition is not the criterion. It is something in them.

Those who haven’t anything in them to tell them what they like and what they don’t—whether it is breeding, or happiness, or wisdom, or a code, however old-fashioned or however modern, go Nazi. It’s an amusing game. Try it at the next big party you go to.

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008
He will kill her if he finds out what she did to Supersonic.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Avasculous posted:

Is there a state where this is not true? I have only ever gotten boilerplate responses that have nothing to do with what I was yelling about.

i sometimes get them mentioning the issue and saying they are basically doing the opposite on it, but i do get the feeling texas reps are especially blind to people they know aren't their base since they can just gerrymander away your voting power.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
Just gonna set my marker down:
Episode 7 is a cathartic Homelander gets depowered and freaks out to discover pain episode but the season ends with the full force of Vought propping him up, pumping him full of Temp. V and working on getting him his mojo back full time because Capitalism is still the monster at the end of the book.

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing

Goast posted:

any real supe fight on screen will look like some lovely dragonball z garbage and im glad they only tried it once on screen

this is the truth, look how awful the supe sex scenes were.

Durzel posted:

Do we think Homelander could survive to season 4? On the one hand at this point it doesn't really feel like his character has an arc, everyone else has an arc that involves him. On the other hand I can't really imagine the show without him in it.
He'll develop heart problems just like a-train. He could try to laser a giant group of people, but it could kill him!!? Also he'll start eating his feelings with a train as well

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

Episode 7 is a cathartic Homelander gets depowered and freaks out to discover pain episode but the season ends with the full force of Vought propping him up, pumping him full of Temp. V and working on getting him his mojo back full time because Capitalism is still the monster at the end of the book.

There's not much of Vought left if Homelander goes down.

I mean, there's the largest company in the world, but like, character-wise. I guess Ashley is ordering these extraordinary measures?

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

As Nero Danced posted:

At this point I'm surprised we haven't had someone post in earnest that we didn't know for sure that Stormfront was really dead (I guess there's a bunch of triple amputee burn victims in Vought Tower that could get wheeled out and loaded into an ambulance), despite the literal giant words on a screen saying "STORMFRONT IS DEAD."

e: Oh poo poo, just had a hosed up idea (despite my complaining about hosed up ideas, I could see this working. Also, vague comic spoilers) If Todd the jackass stepdad enters a raffle and wins them a car and dinner with Homelander...

I had that thought earlier, and while I feel that it's not exactly out of the question, that's basically the turning point for MM especially to not care anymore and do anything to get stuff done. I'd be a worse Timothy.

El Pipila
Dec 30, 2006
I am invincible; I have a stone on my back!

Wheeee posted:

while everyone’s waiting on the next episode you should take a moment to read Dorothy Thompson’s 1941 article,

oh poo poo Hughie's in trouble

excellent read tho, thanks for that

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

Fionordequester posted:

Nah, it's because of her sexual assault. She's, therefore, afraid of any man that's too masculine (which is also why she's attracted to Hughie--he wasn't very masculine).

:cheeky:

well you definitely ruined this bit with an insanely creepy post.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
I'm pretty sure there was at least one sincere post being skeptical of Stormfront's tongue biting suicide

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

the following The Boys characters are cancelled:

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

As Nero Danced posted:

e: Oh poo poo, just had a hosed up idea (despite my complaining about hosed up ideas, I could see this working. Also, vague comic spoilers) If Todd the jackass stepdad enters a raffle and wins them a car and dinner with Homelander...

I'll bite. Care to explain for those of us who will never read the comics? I've never given a poo poo about spoilers and I'm just interested in what you're thinking, but not so interested that I'm gonna go and read an entire series of comics for it.

someusername
Jan 26, 2015
crossing the line taking temporary compound-V when the only V they needed was (VOTE)

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Xiahou Dun posted:

I'll bite. Care to explain for those of us who will never read the comics? I've never given a poo poo about spoilers and I'm just interested in what you're thinking, but not so interested that I'm gonna go and read an entire series of comics for it.

This happens in the comics only so spoilers A family wins a trip for a dinner and car ride where Homelander flies you in the air but it turns into Homelander flying the family up in the car super high in the air, dropping the family to their death saying "I can do whatever I want", and it sets him on his irredeemable villain path

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

bobjr posted:

This happens in the comics only so spoilers A family wins a trip for a dinner and car ride where Homelander flies you in the air but it turns into Homelander flying the family up in the car super high in the air, dropping the family to their death saying "I can do whatever I want", and it sets him on his irredeemable villain path

The actual line he says in that comic scene is the same thing he says to the young woman on the rooftop as he's forcing her to jump

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Fionordequester posted:

It really is a trip, watching Homelander. He's the first villain in a long time I feel legitimately torn about. Sad, lonely, emotional, and pathetic enough that I wish there were a way to help him... But too much of a psychotic murderer for anyone to ever help him (even if they wanted to).

It's also a trip, watching someone with nothing but contempt for "normal people"… Yet completely dependent on their love, at the same time.

Fionordequester posted:

On that note, some predictions:

1) Homelander is either going to do all the awful stuff that Black Noir did in the comics--all on his own volition. No gaslighting or anything, just Homelander coming up with it all on his own.

2) Homelander and Starlight will be an actual couple--at least for a few episodes. Starlight will be Homelander's most recent attempt at a romantic relationship... Thus, Starlight will see the smallest glimpse of humanity in Homelander and go for it (because writers enjoy their love triangles & "good girl/bad boy" relationships)... But then break it off eventually, because Homelander's beyond the point where a healthy relationship is possible. In the meanwhile, this will further increase Hughie's feelings of emasculation.

Fionordequester posted:

Nah, it's because of her sexual assault. She's, therefore, afraid of any man that's too masculine (which is also why she's attracted to Hughie--he wasn't very masculine).

:cheeky:

are you todd irl

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

bobjr posted:

Thanks.

Maybe that worked where it was the comic, but I don't think that'd be very shocking at this point in the show. Even if they do have the Janine angle, they must be able to come up with something spicier considering all of the other poo poo we've seen so far. Something involving dicks, possibly?

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Wheeee posted:

while everyone’s waiting on the next episode you should take a moment to read Dorothy Thompson’s 1941 article, Who Goes Nazi?

written from a very noblesse oblige perspective, but pretty interesting!

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
I'm wondering if they are gonna go the same route with his origin as they did in the comics. I think they said something about he was given the v treatment while in utero. That's why he's crazy strong and has all the powers.

In the comics he was a genetic experiment iirc, but they used (comic spoilers)Stormfront's genetic material to make him, and then dosed him more with v anyway, iirc.

It'll be kinda ew if they do, but honestly the show is so far from the comic now (and better for it) that I can't really put money down on what storyline is gonna go where.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

Elephant Ambush posted:

I'm pretty sure there was at least one sincere post being skeptical of Stormfront's tongue biting suicide

The only reason the "stormfront didn't kill herself" theory can be even remotely entertained is because the show didn't take the time to show the gory details, which you know it would have loved to do because of how intensely uncomfortable it would have been to watch.

edit: not saying I believe this to be the case, just that it's the most compelling argument.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Jun 21, 2022

Goast
Jul 23, 2011

by VideoGames

Elephant Ambush posted:

The actual line he says in that comic scene is the same thing he says to the young woman on the rooftop as he's forcing her to jump

yeah they had to drop "im the only man in the sky" at some point

and they somehow made it more disturbing in the show

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Actually, I respectfully disagree with you there. For as obviously flawed as this game is, there ARE a lot of really good things about it. The presentation and atmosphere, for example, are the most immediate things. No other Yu-Gi-Oh game goes out of the way to really make

Lady Radia posted:

well you definitely ruined this bit with an insanely creepy post.

Wasn't the point to be stupid in an ironic way? On that note:

crepeface posted:

are you todd irl

You know the last bit was a joke, right?

Fionordequester fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Jun 21, 2022

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

Fionordequester posted:

Just a joke bro - homelander

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
not to be "that guy" but i could see Stormfront faking her death as a way to gaslight Homelander into being more of a fascist and hopefully then understand her perspective. also going into surgery for a set of limb prosthetics to go the full Vader and let Aya Cash walk around for a few more scenes before getting obliterated

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Fionordequester posted:

Yeah, but I think maybe yours went into some slightly weird territory.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Fionordequester posted:

only the last one?

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

MokBa posted:

I don't think we talked enough about how amazing Paul Reiser was in that scene. I hope it was secretly a backdoor pilot.

I've been wondering if all those photos of him with famous people in his scene were just things Reiser had anyway. For some reason, the idea really amuses me.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

It'd be pretty fun if he turns coward, tries to fly away, gets hit by the blast and just falls to the ground unceremoniously.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Nuebot posted:

It'd be pretty fun if he turns coward, tries to fly away, gets hit by the blast and just falls to the ground unceremoniously.

Have him hover around 20 feet or so and just drop. You hear an unholy *snap* and his face freezes into a copy of Pacino's in Godfather Part III after his daughter died. The screen goes black and all we hear is Homelander's first ever bloodcurdling scream of pain.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 43 hours!)

i just want to see him cry after he feels pain for the first time ever. it will be very funny.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
He’ll probably just get a huge boner.

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Actually, I respectfully disagree with you there. For as obviously flawed as this game is, there ARE a lot of really good things about it. The presentation and atmosphere, for example, are the most immediate things. No other Yu-Gi-Oh game goes out of the way to really make

TIP posted:

only the last one?

Correct! The first is me being a naturally empathetic guy, the second is a wild prediction for fun. The last was me trying to join in on the joke.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
idk why everyone thinks Homelander is racist, he said he didn't know Stormfront was a nazi - it was just a mistake!

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

the thing is, the boys isn't even particularly good social commentary. 'oh these people we amp up are bad, right wing america the worst thing ever. don't cross too many lines though, could end up being morally wrong if you think about it, which we do cos we're the good ones'. that's all the show really has to say.

like yeah we all know this. it's US democrat crap. good as a basis for a laugh here and there, but it's not cutting that deep at all.

and this is what drives these isolated boys insane, of all things. i guess because they mostly are here for the superpowers part, and want to enjoy homelander murking bitches.

on the one hand, that's a deep hole for us to be in. on the other hand, you don't really need to pay attention to it. most people aren't even aware of the boys, and the other factor is, of those people, it's a small hyper internet poisoned group. some of them will be people that post in this thread, i'm probabaly internet poisoned, but there are people out there who just don't have the background for inbuilt resistances to horseshit who are easy marks for bad ideas.

roomtone fucked around with this message at 11:35 on Jun 21, 2022

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

roomtone posted:

the thing is, the boys isn't even particularly good social commentary. 'oh these people we amp up are bad, right wing america the worst thing ever. don't cross too many lines though, could end up being morally wrong if you think about it, which we do cos we're the good ones'. that's all the show really has to say.

You’re zeroing in on the political stuff but you’ve, like, completely missed the actual central premise of the show which is the social media/modern online society/clout farming aspect of the show, the thing that makes it insightful and contemporary and elevates it above the comics. All of that stuff is excellent social commentary. The political stuff takes a back seat and feeds into the social//parasocial stuff, which is inarguably the actual premise and setting of the show and it’s drama.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

that doesn't really contradict what i said, but i agree it is the 'subject matter' the show focuses on when it comes to poltical satire - as in, lampooning pepople like ashley (primarily) and homelander, then a-train as the bad democrat and the deep as our punching bag. the idea that they ape the trends but feel nothing other than profit. individual scenes have individual statements and i think i summarised the majority of them with my simplified examples of tone.

i don't think it's the core of the show though. the core of the show is superpowered individuals and individuality as the building block of society, like most shows. but i know that's very abstract to the point where you'd need a thread on the subject of how american tv works rather than the superman but he is a rapist show, i was just mildly surprised that even this gets some pushback.

there's a trend in some stuff i've been watching lately where it's like - hey, this thing we're making is kind of gross, maybe you shouldn't be enjoying it on the level we're presenting it. but my question is...then why are you making it, own up to what you're putting down, or don't do it. the boys goes out of its way to make homelander, the MAIN character make no mistake, seem disgusting, but it's still endlessly fascinated by him, and its broader jabs at culture at like 'wow, social media is false', which yeah, we all know. it's more of a concession to the audience's current taste than an actual core.

i'm a bit all over the place here i know, but i think the boys is a really interesting nugget of mainstream culture because of how it tries to skewer it and embodies it at the same time.

roomtone fucked around with this message at 13:19 on Jun 21, 2022