Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

deety posted:

It's even better than that because she was just supposed to introduce the best man. She was expected to say a couple of nice things about the groom and best man's friendship and then let someone else have the spotlight. Instead she basically told everyone that she wanted the marriage to fail so maybe next time the groom would pick her.

Also she mentions all his girlfriends feel threatened by her which I’m sure is a coincidence

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Yeah, I am near certain that she's leaving out A LOT about her behavior around this guy. The "I'm one of the guys!" part, the "Why can't they take a joke?", every single girlfriend feeling 'threatened' (you know what they say about running into one rear end in a top hat vs. running into assholes all day), etc. makes it preeeetty clear she's a Pick Me and finally had it bite her on the rear end.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
loling pick me hit my head too and then i had a sudden realization that pick was the ultimate pick me

it was in their loving name, why was anyone surprised

run on sentience
Mar 22, 2022
Free pick

Does she still post on SA? I just realized I haven't seen her post anywhere in a while.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Over the years I've had a couple of "friends" like that person and honestly it's not that they wanted to get with me or anything like that, it's that they have no loving respect at all for your relationship. Like we'd be out and I'd say I was going home to my partner and it would be the biggest affront possible, or on the times I'd bring my partner out they'd either ignore them or be downright rude to them. Learned pretty quick that people like that need cutting off, not good people.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

run on sentience posted:

Free pick

Does she still post on SA? I just realized I haven't seen her post anywhere in a while.
naw she left like a year+ ago

no more Tales of Hugh

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
The trouble is that when you've got a self-described queen of comedy like that, anyone telling her that she is utterly exhausting to be around can easily be fobbed off with "well you just can't take a joke". Her lovely little garbage ego acts as its own self defence mechanism.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Breetai posted:

Imagine being this kind of Neil Degrasse Tyson-rear end motherfucker, just bereft of any appreciation of a child's imagination or tolerance for wonderment.

Lol, I kept thinking of when my animal-loving nephew was out here for a visit a few years back, and the idea of calmly sitting him down and rationally explaining the myriad reasons why he did not actually spot approximately eight bears over the course of our hike.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Splicer posted:

Doesn't that usually involve a bridesmaid

:eyepop:

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

A gig is a type of carriage. So clearly a loving gig is a carriage propelled by the thrusting motion of its occupants.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
When I was five, I saw a scorpion up close and clearly. If you told me to describe it, I'd say it was a fuzzy little black pinky with legs surrounding the bottom. I can still imagine it clear as day. It is 100% how my brain processed what I was seeing... but that's not how a scorpion is shaped.

I wouldn't have been lying if I described it like that. Child brains work weird is all I'm saying.

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

I can fit 3 whole bud light cans now, ask me how!
all right little tyke, cut the crap. you say you saw a giant fairy dragon in the park?

guess what? pal I've got 24/7 surveillance footage of that area. there's no hint of a dragon. much less a giant pink one with fairies buzzing around. your story doesn't check out.

ok. let's walk through this one more time. what happened between seven and 730 after your mommy got you the snowcone?

just admit it! while your mommy was looking the other way you hotwire the red Miata and drove down the street to Miss Williams' house where you murdered her in cold blood.

that leaves you plenty of time to plant the fake text message exchange on her phone, ditch the car, and get back to the park ,just in time to go home with mom and catch Sesame Street.

And you say you were riding around with the fairy dragon. that's not an alibi, that's a load of crap.

Funktastic
Jul 23, 2013

AITA for taking the diamond out of an heirloom ring for my gf's engagement ring?

quote:

Throwaway. I swear I have no clue whether I’m TA or not.

I (28M) have a 32F sister and a 37M brother. My grandmother left my mother her diamond engagement ring. My mother always said she would leave the ring to my sister (32F), but my sister recently told her that since she has an engagement ring from her husband and she’s not really into jewelry anyway why not leave grandma’s ring to one of our brother's kids (my sister is childfree).

A couple of months ago I told mom I was going to propose to my gf, and she offered me gram's ring to do it with. My gf was amazed at the size of the rock, but didn’t like the ring – it was a traditional solitaire setting in white gold – and asked if we could take the diamond out and use it in something more modern. She picked a new platinum setting with a couple of smaller diamonds and I was glad to save money. When my mother found out she was surprised, but not upset, and asked if she could have the setting back (the inside was engraved with my grandparents’ initials and a message). I didn’t have any use for it so I said sure.

This weekend my fiancée and me and my sister and her husband were visiting our parents for father’s day, and my sister was excited and asked to see Missy’s ring. When my fiancée held out her hand my sister had a surprised pikachu face and said she thought I was proposing with gram's ring? I told her it was gram's diamond, and she said “oh,” and that was it.

On Sunday I noticed my mother was wearing the old setting, but it had a blue stone (a sapphire). I asked her what that was about and she said my sister took it to a local jeweler and had the new stone put in and gave it to her as an early birthday present, and mom was all happy she could still wear the setting, which she’d missed having on her finger (she used to wear it all the time).

I confronted my sister later that night and asked her what her problem was. She said nothing at first but I kept pushing, and finally she said look, if I knew you were going to mutilate gram's ring I wouldn’t have told mom to give it to you. I said she didn’t – she said mom should give it to one of the nephews. Sis said that’s because she assumed mom would want to keep it during her lifetime. Then she said if all Missy and I wanted was the diamond that was our prerogative, but the setting was a piece of family history and sentimental and she didn’t want it getting tossed aside. I thought she made me look bad and said so, she told me to get over myself, I called her a bitch, she told me if I’m getting married I should think about growing up and walked off, and I feel like she spoiled my enagemement gift to Missy.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Funktastic posted:

AITA for taking the diamond out of an heirloom ring for my gf's engagement ring?

quote:

I totally agree why did OP confront the sister for reusing old sentimental part that were already chopped up to make a nice gift for the mother? I thought that was really nice

quote:

Because she's done poo poo like this my whole freaking life. They act like I'm the stupid kid brother always saying the wrong thing and she comes in and "fixes" it.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
AITA for 100% refusing to let my dad/mom see my child for something done 10-15 years ago?

quote:

OK so this is kinda complex, I'll make it short. This acc is just for privacy reasons

-I always had good grades in high-school, was home on time, cleaned the house etc. I never had problems with my parents before this.

-I went to med school, still living with parents when I was 20, I dated someone who was 23

-Dad was against this because be does not believe in dating people far older than you (so like don't date far from your own age) and says I cannot date J.

-Argument breaks out, Dad says it's his house so either I agree or I move out. I say it's not fair as J has a job, goes to college, has future plans etc. Dad kicks me out. Mom agrees with his decision. Little bro was only 14 at the time.

-I moved with J, his family was supportive, helped me with my college (I went to another college due to financial reasons), finished my required years but still kept in touch with my lil bro

-Years later, me and J (with the help of his parents) got a small house. (Like really small but I'm happy with it). I ended up giving birth to a sweet baby girl. I let my lil bro know that he could come see her when he was able to. He came a few times.

-Today, bro came to see the baby, and asked when I was going to let mom and dad see her since they wanted to reconnect. I said never and that I wasn't going to forgive them. Bro says I'm being unreasonable as they were just strict and trying to protect me, I say that's bullshit because Dad shouldn't have kicked me out over age. Bro says I should at least let Mom come because she didn't want to agree with it. I say Mom was able to do something but didn't,but that Bro's situation was different because he was only 15. Bro is upset because he says Mom and Dad regret their decision and just want to reconnect and that I am dragging this entire situation. I told him that if he thinks I'm 'dragging it out' then he can stay out of my life too. He's angry and says that I need to move on and that I shouldn't be withholding them from seeing THEIR grandchild. I say that THEY disowned me and so have no grandchild from a daughter that doesn't exist.

AITA? I don't hate my bro and I (kinda) get what he is saying, but I just have a resentment for my parents. It's not like I had a baby just to put it against them, but my lil bro thinks I'm going go die on a hill with them for something done several years ago and it's petty. I'm curious on what reddit thinks. I want a relationship with my bro, just not my mom and dad

moonmazed
Dec 27, 2021

by VideoGames
sorry, the baby is too young to meet people so much older

quantumwell
Jun 22, 2013

Cythereal posted:

AITA for 100% refusing to let my dad/mom see my child for something done 10-15 years ago?

If they were controlling assholes 10-15 years ago and made no effort to reconcile until a grandbaby came along
the chances are good that they are still controlling assholes.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
"We don't want you dating that rear end in a top hat! As such, we're gonna kick you out so that you have no choice but to live with that rear end in a top hat!"

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

quantumwell posted:

If they were controlling assholes 10-15 years ago and made no effort to reconcile until a grandbaby came along
the chances are good that they are still controlling assholes.

Yeah, and of the brother collaborates with them he's dead weight she should cast off ASAP

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

run on sentience posted:

Free pick

I’m simultaneously keeping up with this thread and reading through previous iterations of this thread that I didn’t catch the first time around and I respectfully request that Jesus Christ please do not let Pick back into this thread, the Hugh stories were kinda funny for a bit but loving A did it get old quickly

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Am I the only person who didn’t immediately mouse over the spoiler and assumed the other person was in their mid-60s or some poo poo?

I was fully expecting it to be a massive age gap and then the dude’s 23 and while a 20 year old dating a 23 year old is not ideal because jobs or whatever, I’m having trouble understanding why her parents kicked her out over it.

Controlling, manipulative bastards it is!

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

The Maroon Hawk posted:

I’m simultaneously keeping up with this thread and reading through previous iterations of this thread that I didn’t catch the first time around and I respectfully request that Jesus Christ please do not let Pick back into this thread, the Hugh stories were kinda funny for a bit but loving A did it get old quickly

Even though I agree with her about engineers, holy smokes does it get really depressing when the miasma of her terrible personal life seeps it's way into everything and chokes the life out of the thread.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

Cythereal posted:

they were trying to protect you, by throwing you on the street and having nothing to do with you

Troublemaker
Mar 12, 2007

AngryRobotsInc posted:

Yeah, I am near certain that she's leaving out A LOT about her behavior around this guy. The "I'm one of the guys!" part, the "Why can't they take a joke?", every single girlfriend feeling 'threatened' (you know what they say about running into one rear end in a top hat vs. running into assholes all day), etc. makes it preeeetty clear she's a Pick Me and finally had it bite her on the rear end.

These people are never as cute and quirky and fun and charming as they think they are. Their act gets really loving old really loving fast, and it's always the new girlfriend or partner that just *doesn't get* their cool-bro personality and sense of humor and is jealous and thin-skinned, because the BFF's relationship with the guy is the real one, not whoever he's, you know, dating, living with, planning a future with, married to . . . .

I always wonder how many friendships the Pick Me ruins before she stops blaming the friend's girlfriend/fiance/wife for blowing up her years-long friendship and not her own lovely toxic behavior. After all, she's so cool she'd laugh if another woman made divorce jokes at her wedding and talked about how important the groom is to her and how she'll still be there for him when his marriage ends, so if the bride isn't then she's just massively uncool.

My guess is: an infinite number. It'll always be the other chick's fault.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

AITA for getting angry at my(m29) girl friend (f28) for hiding that she speaks Spanish?

quote:

My family is from Mexico but I was born in the US. I am the only one in my family who doesn’t speak Spanish, all my extended family (grandparents, uncles, aunts, cousins, etc.) speak it but I never really cared for it that much.

Katia (my girlfriend) knows I am Mexican and she asked if I spoke Spanish but when I said no, she didn’t push which I found refreshing, usually people ask a lot of questions. She never said she spoke Spanish but I remember her watching something and hearing Spanish but I figured she had subtitles on. If it’s important, Kate is from Germany.

Katia and I have been together for 3 months. It’s not long but it’s been intense. My grandmother had birthday on Saturday and my family threw her a huge part. I invited Katia to come along with me as it would be perfect time to meet my family and they’re always very welcoming. Katia agreed.

When we got there, everyone switched to English to speak to Kate but they quickly went back to Spanish. I went to grab a beer and came back to find Katia talking to my aunt, in Spanish (!). I came over and played it cool, telling her I didn’t know she spoke it, yadda yadda.

When Katia was with me, she spoke English but whenever she spoke to one of my family members alone, she switched because they switched. It made me really uncomfortable, especially since it wasn’t your typically barely spoken Spanish, it was full on, fluent Spanish and she understood my fast speaking relatives. I got really annoyed with her but said nothing.

My grandma told me how much she loved Katia and how she’s happy I found such an amazing girl. All my family loved her and couldn’t stop singing praises about her.

On our way back, I got really angry with her and when we got to my apartment, I told her that I feel betrayed that she hid she spoke Spanish and how she made a fool of me out there. I admit I was shouting because I was so angry. I felt humiliated.

She asked me to calm down and told me she never hid anything. I accused her of sneakily making her way into my family instead of having them warm up gradually . She asked if I was being serious and I confirmed. She called me a jerk and left my apartment. I was too angry to stop her.

I am waiting for her to call me with apologies, but she hasn’t been in touch since Saturday night. I told my brother about it and he told me I am the fool but I really feel disrespected by Katia. AITA for getting angry and shouting she hid she spoke my language?

"my language" (that i dont speak)

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

My girlfriend is cool and my family loves her, how could she make a fool of me like this?! :argh:

moonmazed
Dec 27, 2021

by VideoGames
is Secret Spanish some kind of bizarre fetish or something

Troublemaker
Mar 12, 2007

Mx. posted:

they were trying to protect you, by throwing you on the street and having nothing to do with you

I'd like to know the parental ages on this one.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Cythereal posted:

He's angry and says that I need to move on

But she has moved on and there is no space for the parents who disowned her in her new life.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

hallo spacedog posted:

Even though I agree with her about engineers, holy smokes does it get really depressing when the miasma of her terrible personal life seeps it's way into everything and chokes the life out of the thread.

I'd say her statements about gay people all being deviants is a far better reason to never have her back, but that's just me.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

Mx. posted:

AITA for getting angry at my(m29) girl friend (f28) for hiding that she speaks Spanish?

I accused her of sneakily making her way into my family instead of having them warm up gradually

My family likes you, we can never be together.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat
AITA for not letting my husband become a SAHD?

quote:

Obvious throwaway due to private nature of this topic.

My husband (28M) and I (30F) have been married for over a year now. 3 months ago, he quit his job due to work dissatisfaction and wanting to change his career trajectory (from consulting to computer science in which he has a grad degree).

I've been fully supportive of his goal. He is still young, and I'm sure he can build a good, stable career even in a new field as long as he works hard.

Recently whenever I ask how his job search is going, he has evaded the topic, giving one-word responses and looking dejected. I told him to take his time, no rush and I can support us for time being. But two nights ago, he sat me down and told me he no longer wishes to find a job but become a stay at home dad.

I was shocked for two reasons:
  1. We don't have any kids! I'm working my rear end off to get promoted at work and simply don't have the capacity (or the funds) to have children. In the future, maybe but definitely not now or anytime soon. He agrees to this as well.

2. He never expressed any interest in being a SAHD before or even after our marriage. He always told me of his ambitious career and life goals (opening his own business, retiring early after smart investments, etc.). Lifestyle compatibility was a big reason why I was attracted to him in the first place.
I told him no, I don't support that because I had always envisioned the two of us to be working and building an income together. There's also certain type of lifestyle that we both agreed to aim for prior to marriage and we can't do that with my income alone. He said if money is the issue, then he can ask his parents who are well-off for help. But already his parents have been paying for his half of rent and gifting us with occasional spending money. I don't want to keep asking money from his parents - we are adults and should be capable of paying for our own lifestyle.

When I ask why he doesn't want to work, he said he discovered he loves staying at home and having freedom. He also loves cooking and taking care of the house. He has been doing a good job cooking and maintaining our apartment but honestly, I can do that too and it doesn't require much work imo (our apartment is small and we mostly dine out anyway). I don't see how our current living situation warrants a partner to stay at home. He also said he will cut down his spending and expensive hobbies so that we can live comfortably off my income and his parents' financial help.

I told him I don't want to live with a husband who doesn't work. It may sound harsh but I would rather leave the marriage than spend the rest of my life supporting a grown man while sacrificing my own long-term financial and lifestyle goals. Since our talk, we haven't really been speaking to each other but he has been making a greater effort to keep our apartment clean, getting groceries, etc., as if he can change my mind.

So AITA for refusing to let my husband not work?

honey, i've decided; i'm going to be a stay at home dad

quote:

When I ask why he doesn't want to work, he said he discovered he loves staying at home and having freedom.

gee, no poo poo dude?

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Let's assume that the girlfriend had told him that she spoke Spanish early on.

Do you reckon he would have 1)made her be his interpreter for all future family engagements, 2)used this as an inspiration to get her to help him finally learn a language with which he can communicate with his grandma, 3)dumped her then and there for being a show off, or 4) dumped her later on for some so called unrelated issue but really because he was pissy that she spoke better Spanish than him.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Foo Diddley posted:

quote:

When I ask why he doesn't want to work, he said he discovered he loves staying at home and having freedom.

:laffo:

The perfect life was right there all along, it just took this guy to figure it out

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Hm, I have thought about this long and hard and decided that I want to play videogames all day while you take care of me and pay for all my poo poo. It wasn't an easy decision

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

BrigadierSensible posted:

Let's assume that the girlfriend had told him that she spoke Spanish early on.

Do you reckon he would have 1)made her be his interpreter for all future family engagements, 2)used this as an inspiration to get her to help him finally learn a language with which he can communicate with his grandma, 3)dumped her then and there for being a show off, or 4) dumped her later on for some so called unrelated issue but really because he was pissy that she spoke better Spanish than him.

Oh I know this one! It's 4, definitely 4!

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

I can fit 3 whole bud light cans now, ask me how!
1. washes himself
2. has a job
3. good personality

You may pick two.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

Why thankyew!

Zzulu posted:

Hm, I have thought about this long and hard and decided that I want to play videogames all day while you take care of me and pay for all my poo poo. It wasn't an easy decision

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Troublemaker posted:

These people are never as cute and quirky and fun and charming as they think they are. Their act gets really loving old really loving fast, and it's always the new girlfriend or partner that just *doesn't get* their cool-bro personality and sense of humor and is jealous and thin-skinned, because the BFF's relationship with the guy is the real one, not whoever he's, you know, dating, living with, planning a future with, married to . . . .

I always wonder how many friendships the Pick Me ruins before she stops blaming the friend's girlfriend/fiance/wife for blowing up her years-long friendship and not her own lovely toxic behavior. After all, she's so cool she'd laugh if another woman made divorce jokes at her wedding and talked about how important the groom is to her and how she'll still be there for him when his marriage ends, so if the bride isn't then she's just massively uncool.

My guess is: an infinite number. It'll always be the other chick's fault.

They never do, every time it blows up it just reinforces the Pick Me that they're "not like other girls" and this just proves it in their head.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moonmazed
Dec 27, 2021

by VideoGames
this is getting a tad over the top