Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

MotU posted:

Just felt lovely to have to walk on eggshells about things that could get you labeled actual things with consequences and connotations instead of being called a Dipshit Idiot Moron for liking 'Hangman" Adam Page or Jungle Boy

I'm with you on this and it's a big reason I basically only stick to GDTs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

What a coincidence to what’s happening literally now. So awesome and welcoming and warm.

neoaxd
Nov 13, 2004

Elephant Ambush posted:

but you're still part of the problem because you think all the mockery posts are funny

That's a weird way of framing things imo. Is it a "problem" or do you just not like the posts? There's a bunch of posts I don't like but I just don't give them much thought and move on to the next. Should I call people out for making posts I don't care for? Should I be combative to make other people's posting cater to my tastes? You can always just use the ignore button if it's so annoying. It's not a "problem" that people engage differently, make jokes and jeers, or disagree strongly. That's just how it is online and irl. Just post through it if you want! So, you know,

Neurotic Roleplay posted:

stop taking the internet so seriously

Nostradingus posted:

I think there is a subset of posters here who feel like they have to remind everyone constantly of every questionable thing a wrestler has ever done and it is exhausting when you just want to talk about the show.

It got better but this poo poo still sucks rear end.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Elephant Ambush posted:

It is a form of escapism but it's also an art form and a form of business and some of us would to talk about those things and we don't think reductive trash like "haha funny dinosaur man make laugh" and "rapper man wrestle good" is interesting or worth having a conversation about

Yes pro wrestling is often absurd and goofy and we should revel in that but Bryan Danielson vs Minoru Suzuki doesn't involve goofy gimmicks and can't really be jokingly reduced to "wrestle man do good wrestle punch with other man"

I really like all the positive posts where people are like "I love pro wrestling!" and "I love AEW!" and "Dynamite was awesome!" but I don't want to read entire threads where that's all anyone posts. And I sure as hell don't want to participate in a thread where any post that's not "I love wrestling" is a lame attempt at dunking on another person

Edit: also fwiw I don't understand why yea ok was called out either. I don't always like all their posts but I don't think of yea ok as being in the group of rear end in a top hat posters

Nobody is saying you can only post nice things about AEW but doom posting is bad for your brains and those of other posters. Especially if you're doing it about a thing you're meant to get enjoyment from on a Wednesday night (and/or Friday).

People post seriously in the combat sports threads and never seem to have issues with the posters who were on this list of "most toxic individuals of TGJS/PSP" that seem to exist that must be excised for the sanctity of the AEW thread.

:shrug:

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Elephant Ambush posted:

So you're flippant and emotionally removed when it comes to other people feeling upset for being picked on for stupid reasons but yet we should all care about how upset you are when you get attacked?

This explains a lot about how you post

I don't think you're a bully and I don't think you're trying to drive people away from the forums but you're still part of the problem because you think all the mockery posts are funny and want that kind of posting to be the norm

My friend the invitation to come talk to me privately still stands because you obviously have some sort of problem with me but otherwise I hope you either find peace for find the ignore button.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Nostradingus posted:

I think there is a subset of posters here who feel like they have to remind everyone constantly of every questionable thing a wrestler has ever done and it is exhausting when you just want to talk about the show.

Yeah this is why those threads suck. You can definitely critique the individual but when it's every other time they pop up and it's a serious screed about how awful they are idk.

Like Cowboy Cerrone in the UFC is a bigot and we all know it, and we all just laugh at how dumb his decisions have been for a good while because we don't need the constant reminder he's a dumbass trust fund kid who pretends he's a cowboy.

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug

Nostradingus posted:

theres literally a thread to catalogue every questionable thing ever said in a promo ever and, hell, i think its extremely weird

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

MotU posted:

theres literally a thread to catalogue every questionable thing ever said in a promo ever and, hell, i think its extremely weird

I will say I started the MMA/Combat Sports version of this and it is more so to laugh at how dumb those ppl are.

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug

Mekchu posted:

I will say I started the MMA/Combat Sports version of this and it is more so to laugh at how dumb those ppl are.

not hard to catalogue everything tito ortiz has said when it involves throwing a can of alphabet soup down the stairs

Roasted Donut
Aug 24, 2007

NWA WHITE POWERRR!!!!

Lid posted:

I've been called out by name like sixteen times in this thread. If I thought every one if it was about you and me I wouldn't be looking and seeing the people who agree with me. This is not about personal posting reputations.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

lmfao. Jesus loving christ this has been the most sanctimonious holier than thou attention seeking crap i've seen on here in a long time. this stupid rear end place is wild sometimes

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Did I miss the memo about today being the day to unveil the lists of posting enemies that someone's been simmering over for months? The absolute state of the AEW thread, honestly

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

The chain reaction meltdown that is currently spreading across multiple posters is absolutely insane and this is by far the most hostile and unwelcoming PSP has literally ever felt. And worst of all the posters who were afraid to post before all this still haven’t returned yet!

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

I have a list too. A list of friends and partners. Yeehaw

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

Big yeehaw!

Ivypls
Aug 24, 2019

on the upside this all did get me to let go of some petty ignore list adds after some reflection on how posts is just posts

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I have a solution for all this "posting about posters and why I must feud with them" stuff.

Allow me to introduce a concept....

BLOOD & GUTS (AKA YOUR TUMMY): a thread where you can post about your hatred of another poster and I, the referee, will determine who is the winner and loser in totally fair and impartial ways.

I will be prone to being knocked out, allowing run-ins I don't see, etc. during the course of each match like any true referee.

Mekchu fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Jun 21, 2022

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009
i’m here

Only registered members can see post attachments!

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
why does every single one of the PSP 95 theses say

Alaois posted:

i think we should close the chocopro thread

????

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
they, (who?) think its cringe and fail

also i think posters bring up wrestlers who are lovely people IRL being lovely people IRL because if they just say they dont like them or make angry posts about them other posters always go "whats you're problem, so-and-so is so loving good though" and then they have to explain that so-and-so had allegations of some sort and they just hate them for personal reasons

KungFu Grip fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Jun 21, 2022

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
i posted a while back about how i felt the problem with the wrestlethreads was that a lot of people were just posting dumb poo poo that they didn't actually believe because they thought it'd be a funny bit and kept running it into the ground way too far after it stopped being remotely funny + making it hard to talk about stuff for real because it'd just start getting weighed down by disingenuous stuff. i think things are getting better on that front even though there's still a bunch of shitposting, and i'm happy that a bunch of people that frustrated me before have made that shift (on their own, ofc)

i appreciate people confronting bad/terrible posting directly, even if they can be abrasive, but that's taking into consideration a bit of a vaccuum in terms of active moderation (when they're not doing things like bopping me for a day for saying the incredibly cutting 'can't believe this person is being weird about wrestlers again'). i don't know who in the world could get mad at yea ok or massrafter and i hope lid gets a better handle on whatever tear they've been on over the last few days

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

fez_machine posted:

why does every single one of the PSP 95 theses say

????
i never said it

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
I should be clear that I'm making a joke and not accusing anybody of anything

although closing the chocopro thread is the only concrete suggestion I have read over the last few pages

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Mekchu posted:

I have a solution for all this "posting about posters and why I must feud with them" stuff.

Allow me to introduce a concept....

BLOOD & GUTS (AKA YOUR TUMMY): a thread where you can post about your hatred of another poster and I, the referee, will determine who is the winner and loser in totally fair and impartial ways.

I will be prone to being knocked out, allowing run-ins I don't see, etc. during the course of each match like any true referee.

the first issue of blood and guts should be about chocopro and gatoh move pro wrestling. if you aren't familiar, it's one of the most controversial topics of all time. everyone is always talking about whether to ban it or let it continue to fester in the underground.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

neoaxd
Nov 13, 2004

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.

Neurotic Roleplay posted:

??? then post and discuss it? i don't see what the problem is. you act like posters are dunking on someone every-time they make a serious post, which certainly does not happen. i like reading the serious posts as much as reading the funny posts, and i think that goes for a lot of others as well. just because someone dunked on your post or whatever doesn't mean someone else read it and enjoyed it.

sometimes i read serious posts and i agree with them, and i don't have anything else to say to add to it. i'm an idiot so it's easier for me to quote a funny post and say "lol"

anyways people should just post. this is the best wrestling forum online and i don't think anyone should be afraid to post here

As a casual poster and someone who very rarely watches AEW, this is how I feel. I like reading informative, well-written serious posts and I like making jokes. I've posted in collocation's thread and I've posted about the drat cum truck. I don't think they're quite so mutually exclusive as people make out. Wrestling is fascinating, deep and completely ridiculous all in the same breath.

I think some people could occasionally use a quick breather if they're starting to form sour opinions about people who aren't objectively terrible, or just use the ignore button. I'm not trying to dismiss anyone's thoughts by saying that, but if you're at the point where you're claiming that Kungfu Grip is a belligerent WWE defender or, on a more serious note, deciding that someone is a bigot for completely arbitrary reasons (like not liking the same wrestlers/promotions as you), then I think it's just in everyone's best interests if you take some time to collect yourself before everyone gets even more pissed off with further misunderstandings. There's a two-way element to that too of course. Take it to DMs maybe if you're struggling.

The "list" was just bizarre though. MRT has a rich knowledge of wrestling history that I love diving into, and NienNunb in particular is a good egg in my books. Just getting that out there. ✌️

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I'm just going to weigh in for a second because I kinda feel partially indirectly responsible for the chain reaction meltdown as I kinda got it started? A little bit?

For my money, the AEW thread in particular can be very echo chamber-y and circle-jerky. Not all the time, but often enough that I literally don't even bother sometimes. There are plenty of times that I've weighed in with an opinion about a wrestling show in a way that was totally reasonable even if people didn't agree with it only for people to try to dunk on me for it and I've seen the same thing happen to other people if they have an opinion that's not in line with the thread at large. Doesn't mean either side should melt down about it, but I think it's exceedingly disingenuous to act like there aren't reasons why fewer people post pretty noticably these days. Sometimes jokes can be funny but other times they can also descend into low effort, white noise, and/or bad faith argument bullshit that just gets tiresome.

I see it happen in literally every subforum I still read btw. If the consensus of a thread thinks something, don't even bother to post anything against the opinion at large even if there's nothing wrong with the difference of opinion because you'll just get shouted down for it. I literally haven't even opened a WWE thread in probably a year or more for that reason. I don't really enjoy WWE anymore (certainly not consistently) but even when I did, I'd just post things I liked about a given show and essentially got branded a WWE lover for it even as I constantly pointed out that large swaths of the product were poo poo.

The AEW thread has kinda become the inverse of that. Even if you loved the show, if you point out something you didn't like, there's a pretty decent chance there's some poo poo coming your way.

I used to be known as the most positive person on the forum pretty consistently. I loved posting about wrestling. I barely post anymore. There are probably reasons for that and they don't ALL have to do with me. Apply that to some of the other people engaging in this discourse right now.

Just my two cents.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

MotU posted:

I think the detachment is not nearly as bad as all the people that did "gotcha" posts trying to point out how lovely they think people are or something. The turning point for me for losing a lot of enjoyment posting here was finding the idea of Sasha Banks and Bayley laying on the floor in protest funny and then being called a sexist and insinuated I was a racist for finding the idea of it amusing. There was a long period of people trying to earn imaginary points over people for having the most 'correct' thoughts.
:hmmyes:

Speaking as an [unspecified mixed brown minority], this is what I was talking about with Twitter culture giving people the default assumption that everyone everywhere posts in bad faith. People who have been here for like 15 years probably aren't going to do a sudden bizarre right-wing agenda heel turn, but a LOT of people will leap wildly into calling out perceived and exaggerated bigotry on comments that can easily be taken at face value if you're not actively looking to score virtue signaling points. Hell, it just happened here. I know Americans had a racist dictator that brought out all the bigots, but we're a pretty left-leaning board; give people the benefit of the doubt once in a while, and maybe find someone of the culture to ask whether they think it's problematic if you aren't one of them. Minorities aren't giving out Best Ally of the Year trophies; it's appreciated in situations where we can't defend ourselves, but you don't have to do that so much on an inclusive forum.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

sticklefifer posted:

I know Americans had a racist dictator

we've always had that and still do jfyi

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Mekchu posted:

Yeah this is why those threads suck. You can definitely critique the individual but when it's every other time they pop up and it's a serious screed about how awful they are idk.

Like Cowboy Cerrone in the UFC is a bigot and we all know it, and we all just laugh at how dumb his decisions have been for a good while because we don't need the constant reminder he's a dumbass trust fund kid who pretends he's a cowboy.

I think I'm one of the more "gently caress that individual for being a lovely person" people in the wrestling threads, but I know it can be a downer and I specifically try to avoid bringing it up very often because I get that not everyone feels the same way and those people don't want to think about it when they're watching their wrasslemans. At the same time, I'm glad when places do exist to bring it up; I don't think collocation's thread deserves the poo poo it gets, and I thought the Speaking Out thread was good to have until it got EugeneJ-ed and needed to be closed.

SamuraiFoochs posted:

For my money, the AEW thread in particular can be very echo chamber-y and circle-jerky. Not all the time, but often enough that I literally don't even bother sometimes. There are plenty of times that I've weighed in with an opinion about a wrestling show in a way that was totally reasonable even if people didn't agree with it only for people to try to dunk on me for it and I've seen the same thing happen to other people if they have an opinion that's not in line with the thread at large. Doesn't mean either side should melt down about it, but I think it's exceedingly disingenuous to act like there aren't reasons why fewer people post pretty noticably these days. Sometimes jokes can be funny but other times they can also descend into low effort, white noise, and/or bad faith argument bullshit that just gets tiresome.

I see it happen in literally every subforum I still read btw. If the consensus of a thread thinks something, don't even bother to post anything against the opinion at large even if there's nothing wrong with the difference of opinion because you'll just get shouted down for it.

This is about where I am. There's definitely a culture to the AEW thread that I find unwelcoming at times. Nobody actively makes the thread that way, there are just some people whose posting is more in tune with that culture than other people's, which is basically the definition of a "thread culture." And, no, it's not unique to that thread or to Wrestlehut, but this is the forum I spend the most time in so it's where it affects me. So sometimes I take a break from it.

As far as posting enemies go, I'm pretty sure the only name on my list is my own, for sucking at posting sometimes. I'll admit to occasionally finding NienNumb dismissive in an abrasive way, but I try always to interpret it as them trying to encourage more posting that they find good instead of posting they find bad, and I'm not going to hold it against them that we don't 100% agree on "good posting" and "bad posting."

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
my feelings on 'you can't be critical of aew in the aew threads' is that you absolutely can, but there's oftentimes people coming in with criticisms that come across as either extremely picky or patently false & it's really tiring to have pushback on those criticisms for those reasons met with 'geez, it's okay for someone to say something negative about the show' or 'you don't HAVE to defend a millionaire' or similar. people can genuinely disagree with you without being a crazy fan or w/e

I understand people feeling like they're coming into a thread and disliking people disagreeing with them, but sometimes people say things that feel like they didn't even watch the show they're griping about and in aggregate it's really exhausting

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:
i would like to join the clique of funny posters if one of them can send me a pm or invite me to the twitter group dm that'd be great

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

i would like to join the clique of funny posters if one of them can send me a pm or invite me to the twitter group dm that'd be great

Sorry we have standards

dromal phrenia
Feb 22, 2004

I don't really feel like there is a clique or a club or anything that dominates the AEW thread. There are definitely different styles of posting and I guess you could try to organize posters into those categories if you really wanted to, but I don't think anyone is operating in tandem. And the lines would be blurred anyway, sometimes the more casual light-hearted posters are also serious about very specific subjects (i.e. ratings chat). It's just normal forum stuff I think? :shrug:

More than anyone taking posts in bad faith (i.e. thinking the OP was being disingenuous), the only 'problem' I see is that sometimes people read a complaint and assume it is meant in the most dumbass way possible. I try to assume the best, but then sometimes maybe the OP does mean stupid poo poo. It just means people will wind up arguing against a strawman they set up, or that conversations veer into an argument that could have been more friendly. That's not a problem specific to this forum or the AEW thread though, lots of internet conversation devolve into people arguing past each other. I don't feel like the AEW thread is unwelcoming anyway. Quoting and praising me would make it more welcoming though.

I'll second whoever pointed out that the wrestle threads used to devolve into accusations of various *-ist behavior and that the threads are much better in their current form than that bullshit ever was. I think there's still a divide between people who want to discuss the various wrongdoings of wrestlers IRL and the people who want to discuss strictly the wrestling characters, and I'm not sure how to resolve that. But that divide is much better than one where accusations of bigotry fly regularly, so we're moving in the right direction!

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

flatluigi posted:

my feelings on 'you can't be critical of aew in the aew threads' is that you absolutely can, but there's oftentimes people coming in with criticisms that come across as either extremely picky or patently false & it's really tiring to have pushback on those criticisms for those reasons met with 'geez, it's okay for someone to say something negative about the show' or 'you don't HAVE to defend a millionaire' or similar. people can genuinely disagree with you without being a crazy fan or w/e

I understand people feeling like they're coming into a thread and disliking people disagreeing with them, but sometimes people say things that feel like they didn't even watch the show they're griping about and in aggregate it's really exhausting

The thing is both things are literally true. The entire loving mess about The Acclaimed which led to the joke post from EMF targeting LL that is still both a running forums joke and literally was/maybe still is in the OP of every AEW thread started with me saying I didn't like the act because I feel like Max's raps are just off-brand Thuganomics Cena in 2022, something I still mostly stand by even though The Acclaimed have gotten a lot better since joining up with the rear end Boys (still overrated IMO). Granted LL took it way further than I would, but I'll come out and say it, at the time I felt like I was literally being gaslit for having an opinion that amounted to "The lyrics are at best sometimes extremely low hanging fruit and at worst are problematic things said by a heel except they largely get cheered which feels kinda gross" and the whole thing escalated. I can't point to any specific lines because like I said I feel like that brand of material has reduced pretty significantly over time and it's been a while, but it was definitely there.

I'm not saying people don't nitpick, but also don't sit there and tell me the opposite doesn't also doesn't happen because it 100% does.

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009
getting made fun of online doesn’t have to be the end of the world.

It Is The Internet

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

SamuraiFoochs posted:

For my money, the AEW thread in particular can be very echo chamber-y and circle-jerky. Not all the time, but often enough that I literally don't even bother sometimes. [...] Sometimes jokes can be funny but other times they can also descend into low effort, white noise, and/or bad faith argument bullshit that just gets tiresome.

Agreed on both these counts. I've noticed that something that happens in the AEW thread quite frequently is someone making a reasonable, if sometimes silly, opinion post, and a bunch of people immediately dogpiling in with strawmanny versions of their opinion to make fun of them. I'm sure it's not always meant maliciously and often they are just funning, but that probably doesn't come across especially to people who are new to the thread. The place gets super aggro which is not fun in the least.

And also agreed on the low effort white noise posts. I mean, I'm guilty of posting "Charlotte is unrecognizable" way too many times in the WWE thread so I have room for introspection here, but maybe we don't need repeats of "aew in the mud" or "wrap it up aewailures" every day?

flatluigi posted:

And on the other hand, this is definitely also true.

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Jun 21, 2022

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

SamuraiFoochs posted:

I'm not saying people don't nitpick, but also don't sit there and tell me the opposite doesn't also doesn't happen because it 100% does.

somethingawful forums poster flatluigi did not, in fact, post that.

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

SamuraiFoochs posted:

The thing is both things are literally true. The entire loving mess about The Acclaimed which led to the joke post from EMF targeting LL that is still both a running forums joke and literally was/maybe still is in the OP of every AEW thread started with me saying I didn't like the act because I feel like Max's raps are just off-brand Thuganomics Cena in 2022, something I still mostly stand by even though The Acclaimed have gotten a lot better since joining up with the rear end Boys (still overrated IMO). Granted LL took it way further than I would, but I'll come out and say it, at the time I felt like I was literally being gaslit for having an opinion that amounted to "The lyrics are at best sometimes extremely low hanging fruit and at worst are problematic things said by a heel except they largely get cheered which feels kinda gross" and the whole thing escalated. I can't point to any specific lines because like I said I feel like that brand of material has reduced pretty significantly over time and it's been a while, but it was definitely there.

I think you're misrepresenting what happened in that thread. You said you didn't like The Acclaimed

SamuraiFoochs posted:

Admittedly I'm in a pretty poo poo mood so that could be coloring my perception but I disliked a lot of that show.

I will say in general I loving DESPISE The Acclaimed. Like I'm not even saying in a boo heel kind of way. gently caress Max Caster, he's a low-rent, somehow worse, less talented, tackier version of Thuganomics Cena drat near 20 years past its due date. He sucks sucks sucks SUCKS. I seriously don't ever remember a wrestler having more of a visceral go away heat with me.

And no one even directly disagreed with you about The Acclaimed, and then several pages later you came back and said this:

SamuraiFoochs posted:

I didn't read the entire thread up to this point after what I posted, just the rest of the page, but I feel like I'm taking crazy pills because it seems like everyone else likes Max Caster and literally all I see/hear is "Off-Brand Thuganomics Cena"

I'm willing to acknowledge I'm in the minority here and kinda shrug but I feel like I'm losing my mind.

It seems like your hangup was that people liked The Acclaimed and you didn't. Which is okay? But between those two posts, no one directly disagreed with you and mostly a couple people said that they did like The Acclaimed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dromal phrenia
Feb 22, 2004

Yeah I'll cop to posting the white noise "crowd is dead" shitpost sometimes but that stems from people repeatedly saying it when crowds were visibly on their feet and audibly loud, that's why it became a catchphrase. Some criticisms have been really baffling, like the person is watching an entirely different show or accidentally hit mute or something.