Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

Ulio posted:

Holy poo poo I don't know if they changed it for DS3 but I am pretty sure in past Souls games the boss kill wouldn't count if you died. But I died on the same hit as I killed Gael but I got his soul drop and the victory screen as I died. I have gotten double ko many times in souls games but never actually has it counted as a victory. I respawned and the fog gate was gone, went to the final bonfire.

You could die with the boss and still win in previous games, it was just a matter of timing and how long the bosses death animation lasted. Also works on multiplayer: I've had sunbros kill the boss right after I died or killed one after they died and the boss stayed dead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

Ulio posted:

Holy poo poo I don't know if they changed it for DS3 but I am pretty sure in past Souls games the boss kill wouldn't count if you died. But I died on the same hit as I killed Gael but I got his soul drop and the victory screen as I died. I have gotten double ko many times in souls games but never actually has it counted as a victory. I respawned and the fog gate was gone, went to the final bonfire.

All in all, I think the game is a great improvement from DS2, by the end I was kinda bored but I don't think its the games fault, I have just played way too much Souls. The enemy design is really cool in this, so many transforming enemies really makes you respect regular dregs the first time when you don't know which ones will transofmr, each area has so many different enemies. I wish Fromsoft would add a monster compendium where you could look at the monsters 3D model because some of them are so creative like the caged bodies enemy or cross carriers.

My ranking for most fun bosses would be. Sister Friede > Slave Knight Gael > Soul of Cinders > Nameless King > Lothric. Bosses like Sulyvahn, Aldric, Abyss Watchers were really cool fights but easy. Midir was probably one of the harder bosses but I hated him because he forced you to play into his patterns way too much, it just felt like a flowchart .This was like the easiest Souls game for me but I unknowingly did use some of the most broken weapons although I did switch out from twinblades because it was too op. The DLC was super hard though and it put me back in my place.

The first time I played DS1 after like my 25 attempt to beat Artorias we were both at a sliver of health. He did his jumpy Flippy sword attack, I did an overhead swing with my Zweihander. We both connected, we both died. But his soul was sitting there for me to take when I went back to the area so it counted as a win.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Ulio posted:

Holy poo poo I don't know if they changed it for DS3 but I am pretty sure in past Souls games the boss kill wouldn't count if you died.

They didn't. I'll never forget my first DS1 run and my double KO against... Pinwheel... And dying on the run back ensuring I lost all those boss souls, which, as a big noob, felt oh so precious to me. :negative:

Ulio posted:

All in all, I think the game is a great improvement from DS2

You are even more wrong and now it's personal. :argh:

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

FishMcCool posted:

They didn't. I'll never forget my first DS1 run and my double KO against... Pinwheel... And dying on the run back ensuring I lost all those boss souls, which, as a big noob, felt oh so precious to me. :negative:

You are even more wrong and now it's personal. :argh:

DS2 does not have the Crow Talons and their supremely satisfying weapon art

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

Instant Grat posted:

DS2 does not have the Crow Talons and their supremely satisfying weapon art

non ds2 games don't have bone fist

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

non DS2 games don't have a sex change coffin, or a cat that tells you that you smell nice.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

axolotl farmer posted:

non DS2 games don't have a sex change coffin, or a cat that tells you that you smell nice.

Iirc Elden Ring has a sex change mirror and egg that also throws in free sex changes with respecs.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

axolotl farmer posted:

Elden Ring has a big, buff wolf who becomes your best friend and cradles you in his gigantic Gaelic arms

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

Flytrap posted:

non ds2 games don't have bone fist

You know what, good point

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Last Celebration posted:

Iirc Elden Ring has a sex change mirror and egg that also throws in free sex changes with respecs.

The important part is that you clamber into a coffin for it to happen.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Flytrap posted:

You could die with the boss and still win in previous games, it was just a matter of timing and how long the bosses death animation lasted. Also works on multiplayer: I've had sunbros kill the boss right after I died or killed one after they died and the boss stayed dead.

Ya I guess I was just unlucky since it seems other people in thread seem to have defeated bosses in double ko.

As for DS2, I love DS2 but if they cut like 25% of that game, it would have been such a better experience. Too many dudes in armor bosses, too many locations that are just straight line linear/non memorable. I definitely like it and think its a very good game though. I played a poo poo ton of the PVP in that game.

Now I have played all Soulsborne except for Elden Ring, I will probably wait a bit before playing it though because its apparently so long.

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

:)

SHISHKABOB posted:

The important part is that you clamber into a coffin for it to happen.

And then nothing tells you what happens, so you spend the first 10 hours of the game with no idea it even happened since all the armor models looks similar. And eventually only notice it during some fashion souls moment with zero clue how it happened in the first place.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
Is there like a general Soulsborne thread?

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Charliegrs posted:

Is there like a general Soulsborne thread?
No. People tend to use the newest one for chatting, and specific ones for specific questions.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

War Wizard posted:

And then nothing tells you what happens, so you spend the first 10 hours of the game with no idea it even happened since all the armor models looks similar. And eventually only notice it during some fashion souls moment with zero clue how it happened in the first place.

Is that supposed to be a bad thing.

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

SHISHKABOB posted:

Is that supposed to be a bad thing.

Lol no, it's hilarious.

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

Oh right, I was going to mention, this is the first time I've beaten the dancer early and I love it. Being able to get to dragon peak first thing, but also I can check out the DLC, or I could head off further up the castle, maybe beat-up the pontiff if I get around to it. Things feel much more off-the-rails than my previous playthroughs. I had to use human pine resin on my main weapon to beat her, because I just couldn't pull it off with the dark hand. Also I finally got the winblades to come online once they reached +4 sharp, they're maxed out now, I just missed the crystal lizard with the early sharp gem and so it was getting hard to rely on them.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Beating Dancer early is really cool, even if they also inexplicably put a hard progress gate in there anyway.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

Barudak posted:

Beating Dancer early is really cool, even if they also inexplicably put a hard progress gate in there anyway.

I was so confused the first time I got to the archives and the key was lying right next to the door it opens. "What was the point of that", thought I.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Instant Grat posted:

I was so confused the first time I got to the archives and the key was lying right next to the door it opens. "What was the point of that", thought I.

Can't remember what the actual explanation is (likely "oh poo poo, what about the archives key? ah gently caress it, we're shipping, just put it in front of the door") but it makes for decent environmental storytelling. Rather than the door just being open, it's actually locked and that dead body has the key. What's the story behind it? Did that dude struggle through it all going down and barely managed to get out before locking it up to prevent the horrors inside from going out before dying? Or was visiting the archives his life goal and he died 10m from unlocking the achievement? I don't know, and I don't really care, as a definite explanation would likely be more boring, but it adds something imho.

The double bonfire (DS Armour -> Archives) is weirder, though it's some welcome (and uncharacteristic) QoL since they spare you a 10-20s run were there only one and should you wish to go the other way.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Black Hand Gotthardt saw that Lothric was falling and tried to gtfo. He was caught up and assasinated by the gank squad you find guarding the castle stairs.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
Elden Ring doesn't have a sex change coffin

But it does have a waterfall elevator coffin

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

if u think about it an egg is just an inverted coffin, metaphysically

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Moola posted:

Elden Ring doesn't have a sex change coffin

But it does have a waterfall elevator coffin

Elden Ring is also the only FROM game where you basically hook up with a hot chick, and there’s even multiple hot chicks for you to hook up with! Best game EVAH???

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Only if you don't count marrying dead Anri or bringing about the age of dark with Firekeeper waifu.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

You can get an engagement ring and then get rejected in bloodborne

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Barudak posted:

You can get an engagement ring and then get rejected in bloodborne

More proof about Bloodborne being UK's simulator

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

CYBEReris posted:

if u think about it an egg is just an inverted coffin, metaphysically

*me munching on some fried coffins* agreed

a.p. dent
Oct 24, 2005
doing my 2nd playthrough now, i skipped archdragon peak and the DLCs first time around. got nameless king yesterday, now ariandel is kicking my rear end

the whole game feels quite a bit easier after elden ring

a.p. dent
Oct 24, 2005
i have arrived at sister friede

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Moola posted:

*me munching on some fried coffins* agreed

av post combo

giZm
Jul 7, 2003

Only the insane equates pain with success

Bandai Namco have pushed a new Dark Souls 3 update to folks with access to some of the debug branches on Steam for the first time in many years. Probably testing new patches for upcoming server restoration.
https://twitter.com/manfightdragon/status/1550692689095446528
https://steamdb.info/app/374320/history/

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE :asoiaf:

Glimpse
Jun 5, 2011

https://mobile.twitter.com/DarkSoulsGame/status/1562718968086872064

giZm
Jul 7, 2003

We back, baby!

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Guessing it's Return to Lothric busy right now?

giZm
Jul 7, 2003

No Dignity posted:

Guessing it's Return to Lothric busy right now?
Insta-invasions as Watchdog, it's glorious.

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.
sick, I was holding off my rereplay until they fixed this.

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop
PSA though - If you have any mods installed, even ones considered "safe" previously, it might be recommended to wait until its clear what they've implemented or changed with the online back up, or the mod makers provide an update.

Game apparently won't start with Wex or Honest merchant installed, and probably not a good idea to launch either if you had Blue Sentinels, Watchdog, Pyre, or Unsqueezed installed

Would suck to jump back immediately online just to eat a ban, as some people reporting.

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

now go on sale again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IMB
Jan 8, 2005
How does an asshole like Bob get such a great kitchen?
I beat my first DS3 playthrough a couple weeks back. I miss it.