Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

Star Man posted:

lol watch this stupid dumbass bullshit jump to $100k by the end of the year. Nothing good ever happens.

:hmmyes: All of the dimwitted assholes True Believers will see crypto bouncing around the 20k mark as :airquote: proof :airquote: of its intrinsic value. Twitter (and USDC) go crazy and its back to :shuckyes: "This is good for Bitcoin" :shuckyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

I think this time it's different, we're going to see the whole ecosystem start to really eat itself as exchanges and other coin orgs continue to halt withdrawals and shutdown.

e:
https://twitter.com/Cryptadamist/status/1539026666604810240?t=-MuW1boyZo9xHw5W1vG8vw&s=19

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

More

https://twitter.com/Cryptadamist/status/1539075882253434886?t=SYZ5aR0vAwZEM7Sjtr8ZWA&s=19

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
wallet "maintenance" lol

just coincidentally preventing you from withdrawing

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
When there's nothing left to burn you have to set yourself on fire.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
Why are all these coins “USDWhatever”? What does USD mean in this context?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Scratch Monkey posted:

It's supposed to be worth exactly one dollar

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Scratch Monkey posted:

What you wish they were

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

Star Man posted:

Why's the fuckin number going up and not down :mad:

Setup for drop tbh.

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo
Maybe someone can enlighten me

https://twitter.com/whale_alert/status/1538758706761973761

https://twitter.com/whale_alert/status/1538907805473808394

What does 'burned' mean in this instance? Also are these transfers to unknown wallets people successfully liquidating their holdings into real dollars?

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

^^Burned means that the Tether are no longer in circulation, they've been redeemed for cash or other stores of value from Tether's reserves. In reality, there probably wasn't anything backing the Tether being burned or Tether itself is behind the redemption to better reflect the worth of their holdings. A lot of what they have is either commercial paper or actual stocks in Chinese real estate companies, neither of which are holding much value.

Serjeant Buzfuz posted:

I think this time it's different, we're going to see the whole ecosystem start to really eat itself as exchanges and other coin orgs continue to halt withdrawals and shutdown.

e:
https://twitter.com/Cryptadamist/status/1539026666604810240?t=-MuW1boyZo9xHw5W1vG8vw&s=19

I think the Terra/Luna debacle was thought to be contained back when it happened and the general price on cryptos of various pedigrees didn't crash immediately (though there was that one company that was just putting everything they took in from customers into TerraUSD/Anchor and pocketing 3% of the APY that died immediately). Because crypto is speedrunning the history of the financial system it turns out there was a ton of contagion that we still don't know the extent of. That's why Celsius shutting down withdrawals helped kill 3AC as both had heavy investments in both Luna and each other, so once one Ponzi got called out it was impossible for others to keep operating like nothing was wrong. Tether burning billions in reserves suggests either they're trying to avoid further penalties during their current investigation or that whales are cashing out of the crypto market entirely, which is going to reduce the amount of ready "money" that can be used to prop up BTC. USDC is trying to print liquidity, but seems to only be able to hold the line while Tether was able to dictate crypto prices at will before.

Lazyfire fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Jun 21, 2022

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

PITY BONER posted:

Ahaha, ayyy, it's your boy... uhh,skinny penis the mayor of Miami learning how to treat governmental and tax funds like a ponzi scheme.

https://twitter.com/cz_binance/status/1538967795953704965

did mark karpeles get a tan and change his name to a more iberian persuasion

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Serjeant Buzfuz posted:

e:

Yeah, everything is showing signs of severe strain. Doesn't mean that another pump and dump can't happen, but right now we're waiting on the one good shock that will send everything crashing. We'll, crashing more than it already has.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
How does one convert usdc or tether to cash, I don’t think I fully understand that

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

nachos posted:

How does one convert usdc or tether to cash, I don’t think I fully understand that

No cash! Only HODL!

How does Chinese real estate even work? From what I understand there is no actual private land ownership in china. I thought “owners” lease the land from the government for a certain period of time (or until they don’t want you to have it anymore) which is why rich Chinese dump money into buying land in the US and western Canada.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

nachos posted:

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

nachos posted:

you sell it to a moron, because the people who issued it certainly aren't going to give you a dollar for it

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Foo Diddley posted:

you sell it to a moron, because the people who issued it certainly aren't going to give you a dollar for it

Its this. Most crypto is a Greater Fool scam, where the only way you get money out of it is to sell it to the next sucker. Then they are left holding the bag and have to drum up the value to do the same thing.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

nachos posted:

Realistically you can use Coinbase but only so long as they can stay solvent. Kraken also lets you hold actual USD (not synthetic). FTX actually has larger markets for non-americans based on USD (separate usdt markets), which was always telling.

Not sure where we go from here but won't be pretty.

Amarcarts
Feb 21, 2007

This looks a lot like suffering.
I prefer to trade in a currency backed by the world's largest military instead of the world's most guy at my office that won't shut up about it.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost
Ostensibly you can go to Tether's website and redeem it for cash whenever you like. There's a wallet address and you set up some paperwork and :words:. This is specifically not allowed for US Citizens! :byoscience: Coinbase / USDC can be redeemed from their exchange, assuming you have an account / jumped through KYC hoops. Technically USDC is part of a larger :airquote: network :airquote: thats larger than just Coinbase but AFAIK Coinbase is the only way to get turn USDC into cash in the US. Also one of the vanishingly few ways you can turn really any crypto into cash... its a lot of weird wire transfer stuff for most foreign exchanges.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Mercury_Storm posted:

wallet "maintenance" lol

just coincidentally preventing you from withdrawing

Tired: Wallet Inspector

Wired: Wallet mandatory maintenance

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

Serjeant Buzfuz posted:

e:

Huh, I dug a little deeper into this platform, and (this was around a month ago):
https://twitter.com/sasha35625/status/1529076417731997699
https://twitter.com/sasha35625/status/1529076420370223104
https://twitter.com/sasha35625/status/1529076426049200128

This proposal was accepted:
https://twitter.com/viresfinance/status/1531636484058533888
(also note: they just assumed stablecoins would trade 1:1 without actually checking the prices, :lol:)

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
They talk about collateral, but the collateral for their imaginary money is almost always other imaginary money.

And despite constant, daily evidence that it's a scam and is likely to financially ruin most people, they throw MORE (real) money into it. Jeeze, this really is a cult, isn't it?

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
You're just jealous that you aren't getting rich quick.

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

I appreciate your patience, this is a tricky maneuver

WhiteHowler posted:

They talk about collateral, but the collateral for their imaginary money is almost always other imaginary money.

And despite constant, daily evidence that it's a scam and is likely to financially ruin most people, they throw MORE (real) money into it. Jeeze, this really is a cult, isn't it?

All it took was a single tweet from Elon claiming he's buying the dip, and people line up to hodl the bag for him as he offloads his stake.

Shitshow
Jul 25, 2007

We still have not found a machine that can measure the intensity of love. We would all buy it.
Has it always been difficult to convert bitcoin into cash? If so, how was that not a huge red flag for any investor?

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.
Why would you convert to cash when the number always goes up?

run on sentience
Mar 22, 2022
Are enough people into crypto that this crash will have major effect on the rest of the "economy" of certain countries or industries? I know everything is already going to poo poo everywhere but is this going to hit anyone hard outside of crypto people?

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

HappyHippo posted:

(also note: they just assumed stablecoins would trade 1:1 without actually checking the prices, :lol:)
Pegging currencies happens in the real world too, usually it's not as simple as 1:1, also usually it's by someone with actual power. For example the Chinese yaun is pegged to the US dollar, currently around 1:7.
China can do that because they can afford to buy other currencies and has assets and markets others need access to.

Shitshow posted:

Has it always been difficult to convert bitcoin into cash? If so, how was that not a huge red flag for any investor?

Yes, that's why things like bitcoin atms, giftcards purchasable with btc and exchanges that haven't shutdown and stolen all the money have been big deals among crypto enthusiasts.

It's also why the thread is pretty nonchalant in saying "No, you would have lost all of your play money if you bought btc when it was $5" because for a very long time you had to use sites like magic the gathering online exchange (mtgox) to trade crypto for cash.
Or you know just arrange to meet a dude at a walmar parking lot over craigslist

Coolness Averted fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Jun 21, 2022

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

I appreciate your patience, this is a tricky maneuver

run on sentience posted:

Are enough people into crypto that this crash will have major effect on the rest of the "economy" of certain countries or industries? I know everything is already going to poo poo everywhere but is this going to hit anyone hard outside of crypto people?

I think we're in the process of discovering how much the financial sector has been indulging in crypto

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
HLOD

The Bag

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

pegging the buttcoin

Flowers for QAnon
May 20, 2019

run on sentience posted:

The real answer, is no one knows with certainty. Most seem to think the *broader* impact will be minimal, but domino effects are hard to predict.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
We're thirteen years into this bullshit and I still don't get it.

With stocks, my poor dumbass understands that you get interest on them and you get a check every quarter, or whatever happens with that money happens.

With crypto, the value just grows, but you only get anything if you sell the coins. It's just something you sit on and sell it later to someone that wants to buy in later for more than what you did. Which I'd rather just buy vintage Magic cards, but the peoppe invested in that have the same habits where they just sit on them and keep them out of circulation, only to finally let go of them when they're in debt, divorce, or dead.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

Star Man posted:

With stocks, my poor dumbass understands that you get interest on them and you get a check every quarter, or whatever happens with that money happens.

With crypto, the value just grows, but you only get anything if you sell the coins. It's just something you sit on and sell it later to someone that wants to buy in later for more than what you did. Which I'd rather just buy vintage Magic cards, but the peoppe invested in that have the same habits where they just sit on them and keep them out of circulation, only to finally let go of them when they're in debt, divorce, or dead.

You don't get interest on stocks. If you buy one that pays dividends you get paid when they issue those (in more stock or in cash depending on the stock). Otherwise you just hold it and sell it later for hopefully more money

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Star Man posted:

Yeah it's no coincidence that MtGox was an MTG finance site prior to pivoting to Bitcoin

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Star Man posted:

You probably do not have the deep-rooted idea that you should be getting wealth simply by owning property of some kind - not for owning it and doing something with it, or improving it, or for providing a good or service to the general market place, or even that you should be getting a basic subsistence no matter what and should also have a little patch of your own.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Squibbles posted:

You don't get interest on stocks. If you buy one that pays dividends you get paid when they issue those (in more stock or in cash depending on the stock). Otherwise you just hold it and sell it later for hopefully more money

Oh, right.

Heath posted:

Yeah it's no coincidence that MtGox was an MTG finance site prior to pivoting to Bitcoin

Except it wasn't because they never got the MTGO service rolling. They just had the domain name and used that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Shitshow posted:

It's not that hard if you do the KYC stuff for a site like Coinbase then fund it with dollars, and never take your coins out of there, so there's no question about where the coins came from. The difficulty comes when you can't explain why some coins seem to come straight out of a mixer or something like that