Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

You could implement the majority of the features of Discord with just an IRC client. Discord replaced IRC because they made it user friendly. Most IRC clients have an interface straight out of the 90s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Logs for what was said when you were offline is a big advantage.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

Tunicate posted:

I was gonna say "well you obviously just grab a cheap VPS and setup ZNC" but then I realized that makes Discord sound way better

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

IShallRiseAgain posted:

You could implement the majority of the features of Discord with just an IRC client. Discord replaced IRC because they made it user friendly. Most IRC clients have an interface straight out of the 90s.
IRC - both the clients and the daemons - seems like the 90s because it's a product of the time period that affected things designed in the 90s.
One thing the IRC protocol would have to solve is the ability to scale to the kinds of userbases that modern networks deal with - and that's simply not something you can do on a volunteer basis.

I'm also not sure I'd like it if IRC became that popular, as it'd change things to make them nigh-unrecognizable.

Even at its peak, IRC only had about 6M users globally - and nowadays there's about 200k users, and that's been the global usercount for way more than a decade.
So unless you're saying that Discord, at its inception, could handle the exponential user growth unlike any service has ever seen when it's initially started, there's definitely a piece missing from the puzzle.

Tunicate posted:

Having it is a convenience - but I'd love to see statistics of just how many people actually use that functionality vs how many people self-report as having used it.
I know I don't use it, beyond /backlog debdrup in case someone's hilighted me; client-side it generates a bell event, while server-side could very easily do that tracking for me.
Funnily enough, it's already been tried - that's what MemoServ and services like that are for, but nobody used them then, and nobody uses them now.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

IRC - both the clients and the daemons - seems like the 90s because it's a product of the time period that affected things designed in the 90s.
One thing the IRC protocol would have to solve is the ability to scale to the kinds of userbases that modern networks deal with - and that's simply not something you can do on a volunteer basis.

I'm also not sure I'd like it if IRC became that popular, as it'd change things to make them nigh-unrecognizable.

Even at its peak, IRC only had about 6M users globally - and nowadays there's about 200k users, and that's been the global usercount for way more than a decade.
So unless you're saying that Discord, at its inception, could handle the exponential user growth unlike any service has ever seen when it's initially started, there's definitely a piece missing from the puzzle.

Having it is a convenience - but I'd love to see statistics of just how many people actually use that functionality vs how many people self-report as having used it.
I know I don't use it, beyond /backlog debdrup in case someone's hilighted me; client-side it generates a bell event, while server-side could very easily do that tracking for me.
Funnily enough, it's already been tried - that's what MemoServ and services like that are for, but nobody used them then, and nobody uses them now.

Yes obviously the IRC clients look the way they do because that was the style at the time they were developed, but they don't have to look that way. My entire point is that you could make a modern looking IRC client with a lot of the features discord had without even having to touch the servers.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Yes obviously the IRC clients look the way they do because that was the style at the time they were developed, but they don't have to look that way. My entire point is that you could make a modern looking IRC client with a lot of the features discord had without even having to touch the servers.
The trouble is that you really can't - a lot of the features discord have are state-dependent, and IRC was designed without assumptions about state.

State means you're going to need persistent storage and a persistent database of some sort.
Both have difficulties when it comes to scaling.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
It's worth noting that Twitch chat uses IRC, and you can actually log into a streamer's chat with an IRC client.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Schwarzwald posted:

It's worth noting that Twitch chat uses IRC, and you can actually log into a streamer's chat with an IRC client.
Well, they've removed quite a lot of features, but sure.

Also, discord is enough like IRC that plugins can be made to connect to it - but they'll get you banned from Discord.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
kvirc has weird features I've not seen for irc before, like avatars and gender options for users

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Light Gun Man posted:

kvirc has weird features I've not seen for irc before, like avatars and gender options for users
someone didn't use microsoft comic chat

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

someone didn't use microsoft comic chat

yeah, I missed that boat. guess I'm some kind of jerk, perhaps in a city of them.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

IShallRiseAgain posted:

didn't pidgin or something already do this?

Well, they've removed quite a lot of features, but sure.

Also, discord is enough like IRC that plugins can be made to connect to it - but they'll get you banned from Discord.

there was once a bot specifically made to connect the IRC and Discord channels for the paradise lost cyoa thread in trad games. It was either deactivated for reasons idk of, or because almost nobody logs into irc anymore.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Random unreleased Famicom game found hiding in plain sight. :eyepop:

https://twitter.com/forestillusion/status/1538127270107582464?s=21

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

just from the screenshot that game looks taito as hell, i don't know why exactly but taito always has a certain look

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Ballz posted:

Random unreleased Famicom game found hiding in plain sight. :eyepop:

https://twitter.com/forestillusion/status/1538127270107582464?s=21

Ooh! This is a well known "lost" game!

Also, holy poo poo I saw that lot and completely missed that game in it! Goddamn it!

No complaints about dumping it, of course; I would have had to seek out some help dumping but I definitely would have done it.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Shibawanko posted:

just from the screenshot that game looks taito as hell, i don't know why exactly but taito always has a certain look

It does look a bit Bubble Bobbley for sure

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Pablo Nergigante posted:

It does look a bit Bubble Bobbley for sure

It actually is kinda a precursor. It’s an enjoyable little game.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
that version in particular, however, was the lowest rated game internally by nintendo of america during lotcheck

Kupo!
Sep 14, 2009

Just follow me through this wall, I can show you things
no mortal eyes were meant
to see.

absolutely anything posted:

that version in particular, however, was the lowest rated game internally by nintendo of america during lotcheck

Hard4Games mentions in his video on dumping this game that this version of the game is actually different (smaller ROM size) than the one found in the NoA lotcheck info, so there's a second version of this game that's still lost! (And apparently terrible.)

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Good soup! posted:

Yeah, the HL2 beta is fascinating stuff, I think the only other thing I've been into on the same level is Resident Evil 1.5

did that ever end up getting leaked?

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

tithin posted:

did that ever end up getting leaked?

Half-life 2 beta got leaked before the game even came out.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Half-life 2 beta got leaked before the game even came out.

Resident Evil 1.5, I mean.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Relatively recently I think, yeah

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

tithin posted:

Resident Evil 1.5, I mean.

That got leaked too, despite multiple assholes trying to keep it for themselves. First a guy who would only post videos and images of it, and then a mod team that only wanted to release a modded version. It ended up showing up randomly on eBay and got released.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

What's interesting to note is that apparently there are at least a few people out there that genuinely have copies of the RE 1.5 build that is the fabled 60-80 percent complete version but they're sitting on it like assholes so we may never actually see it

The version we ended up with was far more incomplete (40 percent I believe is the estimate and what that version has been dubbed) but with a little patience with the debugging menu you can basically make it from beginning to end and see what Capcom's original plan was. Spoiler: it sucked!!!! Regardless, it's still incredibly interesting, to me at least, to see how a massive, multi-million dollar series could have cratered right out of the gate with such a lame sequel.

I remember reading how the company that produced the cutscenes for RE2 had already started work on the 1.5 versions by the time it was cancelled, and I was always curious if there are surviving animatics or storyboards buried somewhere

worms butthole guy
Jan 29, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
Where can one find it?

My holy grail is Eternal Darkness N64. I want that to leak so bad

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

You can find the "vanilla" build, untouched by modding, on a few different sites IIRC, but I believe it can found in the Internet Archive here: https://archive.org/download/biohazard-1.5-playstation

It has a few of the patches/mods for it included separately, but I think it should be the zip labeled Nov 6, 1996 prototype

The mod that fixes things, adds in working rooms and certain weapons, fixes cutscenes and adds a few in, and recreates dialogue and such from leaked screenshots/notes/interviews/pure conjecture, can be found with a change log here: http://re123.bplaced.net/board/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=15

roomtwofifteen
Jul 18, 2007

Does the HL2 beta exist anymore or did it get legaled into oblivion? I kinda wanna see it again

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

worms butthole guy posted:

My holy grail is Eternal Darkness N64. I want that to leak so bad

wait what

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I feel like most of the “holy grails” I want to see surface are N64 games. Whatever was left of Mario 64 2, Ura Zelda, Kirby’s Air Ride 64 and of course, Mother 3 64.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
i'm still angry that someone showed up with a panel de pon 64 prototype and has been sitting on it since with no apparent intention of ever dumping it :waycool:

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Yeah it looked cool as hell back in the day before they bumped it up to a GameCube project

https://www.unseen64.net/2008/04/04/eternal-darkness-nintendo-64-unreleased/

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Good soup! posted:

Yeah it looked cool as hell back in the day before they bumped it up to a GameCube project

https://www.unseen64.net/2008/04/04/eternal-darkness-nintendo-64-unreleased/

Holy poo poo, I would kill for this.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
poo poo I got my wish I didn't know I had of Dinosaur Planet, I have no clue what holy grail prototype I'd want to see next. It'd be fun to watch the internet melt down if a huge one like Earthbound 64 was found.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

roomtwofifteen posted:

Does the HL2 beta exist anymore or did it get legaled into oblivion? I kinda wanna see it again

the Missing Information mod is available on Steam and I’m pretty sure the beta is still around somewhere. There’s a Russian YouTube channel that posts videos from it all the time, I think it’s from here https://hl2-beta.ru/index.php?action=downloads;sa=view;down=15;language=english

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
i wonder if they actually got into the process of the xbox port of illbleed at all or if it was just being considered

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
given all the zelda stuff from the gigaleak in this thread and how it all started and all those late 90's/00's schoolyard rumours. enjoy. watch it from the start because as a yt comment says, its like telling a bunch of adults santa is real and showing them proof in real time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2x_pqyrf9lA

hearing some dude scream WHAT at the very beta fairy fountain :allears:

Vikar Jerome fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Jul 3, 2022

worms butthole guy
Jan 29, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

Vikar Jerome posted:

given all the zelda stuff from the gigaleak in this thread and how it all started and all those late 90's/00's schoolyard rumours. enjoy. watch it from the start because as a yt comment says, its like telling a bunch of adults santa is real and showing them proof in real time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2x_pqyrf9lA

hearing some dude scream WHAT at the very beta fairy fountain :allears:

This is kinda dumb tbh. So they use controller inputs to make custom content in the game? Lame. Would've been more impressive if it was actual content in the game that could be accessed on a vanilla cart

LtDan
May 1, 2004

This is kinda dumb tbh. So they use controller inputs to make custom content in the game? Lame. Would've been more impressive if it was actual content in the game that could be accessed on a vanilla cart

I might be wrong but I think only the stuff shown at the end was custom content. Everything else prior to that is left over beta content on the cart.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

I mean, much of it is in the game, but not put together in any way. So they're basically putting it back in via arbitrary code but also adding their own flair to it as well. It's a mix of cut content, some contributor's ideas, and a neat way to showcase the technical side of what's possible with the N64.

The BOTW part at the end where they display Twitch chat had been done a few years ago for a Pokemon Yellow ACE run, which I had coincidentally watched again before seeing this.