Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Tweak posted:

my favorite knights were the ones who were football players sent back in time to save the original knights or something

ARTHUR AND THE KNIGHTS OF JUSTICE loving OWNED AND HAD A KICKING RAD INTRO THEME

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=USUucZVnno0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

sexpig by night posted:

yea 'the round table' was huge and got tons of functionally just local mythos added to it as it spread. My favorite 'never talked about knight' is Moriaen, the son of a knight of the round table and a Moorish princess who had a story about visiting his mother's homeland and all that was basically an old timey 'get in touch with my heritage' story. Just kinda a nice, not super magical, story of someone with a very mixed heritage and the overall moral is typically 'your knightly virtues come from within, not who your parents were'.

This is Knight Bob.

He...he doesn't do much.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Jedit posted:

I like the Star Trek analogy. Being Jewish is like watching TOS, Christianity is like watching TNG, and Islam is like watching DS9. And Mormons are the people who watched all the shows and thought they could do better, so they wrote a lovely fanfic and called it canon.

I know more about the Bible than I know about Star Trek, but I think the original Alien movies might be a better comparison.

Alien (Old Testament): it's the original one
Aliens (New Testament): new creative team, totally different tone than the first one, features bad guy played by Paul
Alien 3 (Quran): another new creative team, follows the events of the previous film but is more inspired by the tone of the original
Alien Resurrection (Book of Mormon): what's going on, written by a man who hates women

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
Isn't the green knight who has a literal head cutting off challenge a round table story?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

ilmucche posted:

Isn't the green knight who has a literal head cutting off challenge a round table story?

.. well, 'e go' be'er!

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

ilmucche posted:

Yup. Tha'ts media that aged pretty well though, in that it had a great movie adaptation last year.

S'why I knew about Gawain being an older character, cause I looked up stuff about the story after watching the movie.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

I was watching Keeping Up Appearances episodes. Few have aged decently for a variety of reasons, the main ones being that they're not well written and extremely one-note.

I had forgotten about this one, though. Hyacinth and Richard go to a fancy hotel because she'd like Richard to go golfing with the Major. Typical hijinks ensue for most of the episode, but with the bonus that Richard would rather not spend time with the Major as he's a weirdo. For reasons of the Major being a weirdo, he has a huge crush on Hyacinth. He gets her alone and sexually assaults her to point that Hyacinth flees through a pasture to escape.

The sexual assault is played for laughs, a punishment, you know, for Hyacinth's social climbing. She comes back to the hotel disheveled and in shock. The change is immediately noticeable to everyone, but no one cares and are glad she's not being as haughty at the moment.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

RC and Moon Pie posted:

I was watching Keeping Up Appearances episodes. Few have aged decently for a variety of reasons, the main ones being that they're not well written and extremely one-note.

I had forgotten about this one, though. Hyacinth and Richard go to a fancy hotel because she'd like Richard to go golfing with the Major. Typical hijinks ensue for most of the episode, but with the bonus that Richard would rather not spend time with the Major as he's a weirdo. For reasons of the Major being a weirdo, he has a huge crush on Hyacinth. He gets her alone and sexually assaults her to point that Hyacinth flees through a pasture to escape.

The sexual assault is played for laughs, a punishment, you know, for Hyacinth's social climbing. She comes back to the hotel disheveled and in shock. The change is immediately noticeable to everyone, but no one cares and are glad she's not being as haughty at the moment.

Oh I remember that one. I remember thinking, "This is a bit heavy for Keeping up Appearances." Of course it isn't played as heavy, but it's hard to read that scene any other way now. It's such a weird choice too because even in context you are supposed to feel a little sorry for Hyacinth. But the whole context of the show is that Hyacinth is an insufferable snob and social climber, making her sympathetic is the last thing you should want to do!

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

You're saying you like your sexual assault victims sympathetic

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Mescal posted:

got 'em

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Mescal posted:

I'm saying the opposite of that; that sexual assault makes even extremely unsympathetic people sympathetic by virtue of them having been victims. My point is that having Hyacinth actually becoming a victim flies in the face of the show's comedic theme. It is just an extremely dumb thing to do. I certainly do not think Keeping up Appearances was making a larger point about our expectations in victims, they played the entire thing for laughs.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

sweet geek swag posted:

I'm saying the opposite of that; that sexual assault makes even extremely unsympathetic people sympathetic by virtue of them having been victims. My point is that having Hyacinth actually becoming a victim flies in the face of the show's comedic theme. It is just an extremely dumb thing to do. I certainly do not think Keeping up Appearances was making a larger point about our expectations in victims, they played the entire thing for laughs.

Ah, so you're saying that you like your assault victim unsympathetic.

:thejoke:

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

So I was watching old robot chicken and ran into a problematic episode featuring long forgotten toys the Trap Masters. No prize if you can guess where I'm going with this. It was deeply transphobic. Also at some point they stopped censoring the episodes on HBOMAX so they didn't blur out the genitals. You'd be surprised how often they made and animated penises for their figures. Just floppy dongs all over the place.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

I decided to rewatch some old Gordon Ramsey reality shows on Hulu and those have been swapped out for uncensored versions as well and I never realized how often Gordon Ramsey got naked on Hotel Hell.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

rodbeard posted:

I decided to rewatch some old Gordon Ramsey reality shows on Hulu and those have been swapped out for uncensored versions as well and I never realized how often Gordon Ramsey got naked on Hotel Hell.

Gordon Ramsay loves to get naked

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

rodbeard posted:

it’s pretty much once an episode and it’s delightful, the man has a fantastic rear end

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Rockman Reserve posted:

it’s pretty much once an episode and it’s delightful, the man has a fantastic rear end

Is that the donkey he keeps screaming about in the memes?

Mamkute
Sep 2, 2018
Spider-Man for the Playstation 4 has rainbow flags, but nothing gay happens.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Kwyndig posted:

So I was watching old robot chicken and ran into a problematic episode featuring long forgotten toys the Trap Masters. No prize if you can guess where I'm going with this. It was deeply transphobic. Also at some point they stopped censoring the episodes on HBOMAX so they didn't blur out the genitals. You'd be surprised how often they made and animated penises for their figures. Just floppy dongs all over the place.

God i can't imagine how bad it would be to go back to that trashfire

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Mamkute posted:

Spider-Man for the Playstation 4 has rainbow flags, but nothing gay happens.

They also have Spider-Man repair surveillance towers to monitor people for the cops, while J. Jonah Jameson talks about how this is terrible and invades our privacy, but he's an Alex Jones stand in treated as the bad guy.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

sexpig by night posted:

yea people really need to understand that a poo poo ton of literature is indeed 'fanfic'. Just because it's not literally 'The Riddler Kisses Batman, A Book By Me' doesn't mean it's not fanfic.

Take the Aeneid, for example.

Or, hell, the versions of the collected Sumerian poems that eventually got standardized into what we know as the Epic of Gilgamesh... heavily modified over generations of oral retellings and I'm very drat sure they weren't originally all about the same characters.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Dantes Inferno is a self-insert fic where he made all his enemies be in hell and the girl he liked irl the most beautiful perfect angel ever.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

jackofarcades posted:

Did you actually need me to explain my sentence to you or are you just trying to be funny?

I suspect incest content was showing up in hentai before it became popular in western erotica. Perhaps it was even influential.

I was making a joke about you saying that "Japanese was 'ahead of the curve' with anime", because anime by definition is Japanese. So shockingly, in the category that is only Japanese, the Japanese are 'ahead of the curve'.

Either way, you're wrong about your suspicion. Western scifi was having incest as a Hot And Sexy Thing long before the first hentai was even made. Heinlein was doing it in the 50s and 60s.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Yes Heinlein had a character who was notorious for sleeping with family members. He traveled back in time to gently caress his hot mom, he hosed two (underage) female clones of himself, he basically hosed anything that moved.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Wasn't it a Heinlein story that they based the movie Predestination off of, where a person uses time travel and has sex with themselves and then gives birth to themself?

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

marshmallow creep posted:

Wasn't it a Heinlein story that they based the movie Predestination off of, where a person uses time travel and has sex with themselves and then gives birth to themself?

Yes. All You Zombies.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Kchama posted:

I was making a joke about you saying that "Japanese was 'ahead of the curve' with anime", because anime by definition is Japanese. So shockingly, in the category that is only Japanese, the Japanese are 'ahead of the curve'.

Either way, you're wrong about your suspicion. Western scifi was having incest as a Hot And Sexy Thing long before the first hentai was even made. Heinlein was doing it in the 50s and 60s.

The Japanese novel Tale of Genji (the first novel ever written) has elements of erotic incest in it.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
It's amazing how hosed up Heinlein was. His most well known work being a fuckin' ode to fascism but his sexual politics were real hosed up too.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Before Starship Troopers the movie came out his most famous work was Stranger in a Strange Land which is about a human messiah raised by Martians from birth so he has super powers and he uses them to build a religious polycule.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

Kwyndig posted:

Before Starship Troopers the movie came out his most famous work was Stranger in a Strange Land which is about a human messiah raised by Martians from birth so he has super powers and he uses them to build a religious polycule.

Pretty much. Which is hilarious because a. Half the book is a scathing takedown of organized religion and US Politics, and b. His loving self-insert super genius lawyer who lives with his own polycule who's half his age.

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

Kwyndig posted:

So?

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Which part of the thread is confusing you?

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Heinlein seems like one of those scifi writers who was big into looking at hypothetical scenarios in the vein of "what if bad thing was good, actually?" Like Stranger is all about "what circumstances would justify a cannibal sex cult" and Starship Troopers is "what would make militant fascism look like a good idea"

It's hard to look at his writing and figure out what stuff he actually personally subscribed to and what was just a thought experiment to crank out another book.

Except the sex stuff, that's probably all him

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

IShallRiseAgain posted:

The Japanese novel Tale of Genji (the first novel ever written) has elements of erotic incest in it.

I’m pretty sure there’s cave art somewhere that’s about someone wanting to gently caress their sibling

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Groke posted:

Take the Aeneid, for example.

The Aeneid is basically state propaganda.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Kit Walker posted:

I’m pretty sure there’s cave art somewhere that’s about someone wanting to gently caress their sibling

Cave paintings about step-family getting stuck in caves

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

christmas boots posted:

Cave paintings about step-family getting stuck in caves

Step-grunk nooooo

Disproportionation
Feb 20, 2011

Oh god it's the Clone Saga all over again.

bobjr posted:

They also have Spider-Man repair surveillance towers to monitor people for the cops, while J. Jonah Jameson talks about how this is terrible and invades our privacy, but he's an Alex Jones stand in treated as the bad guy.

My favourite thing in Spider-man ps4 is that he has a police captain buddy that he does missions for and has jokes with and in the dlc she's revealed to be a serial killer

That's not really on topic for the thread or anything I just thought it was kinda hilarious in hindsight of the base game.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Also Oscorp is behind all those surveillance towers so you know that's gonna come up in the next one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

Asterite34 posted:

Heinlein seems like one of those scifi writers who was big into looking at hypothetical scenarios in the vein of "what if bad thing was good, actually?" Like Stranger is all about "what circumstances would justify a cannibal sex cult" and Starship Troopers is "what would make militant fascism look like a good idea"

It's hard to look at his writing and figure out what stuff he actually personally subscribed to and what was just a thought experiment to crank out another book.

Except the sex stuff, that's probably all him

Even on the sex stuff, Heinlein is a mixed bag. Yeah, there's some real weird incest and pedo stuff in there, but that's mostly in his later works. For most of his career, he was just incredibly progressive about sex stuff - he was accepting of LGBTQIA+ people, polyamory, premarital sex, etc. He was writing in a time where "an adult cis man and an adult cis woman who are virgins and not closely related to one another and have similar skin tone get married and never have sex with anyone else forever (no divorce allowed)" was widely considered the only acceptable way to have sex, and his characters violated just about every aspect of that.

For example, in the same book where the main character fucks his own mom and female clones, Time Enough for Love, there's also a rather charming scene at the beginning where, IIRC, two doctors who have never met but are performing surgery together in full-body hazard suits that obscure their personal appearance, including their gender, and they flirt and decide to hook up before ever finding out each other's genders. That particular pairing turns out to be hetero, but it's clear that in the future, everyone's bisexual and they would've still hooked up even if they were the same gender (and the main character, a two-thousand-year-old man born in the 1900s, is considered very old-fashioned for being hetero). I could be getting some details wrong, I haven't read that book in a long-rear end time.

It's also the case that all of his later work, starting around Time Enough for Love, is incredibly self-indulgent and more full of weird sex poo poo. Don't read it. His early-to-mid-career stuff, including his most influential book Stranger in a Strange Land, is often quite good IMO. Despite having a "sex cult" in it, Stranger is relatively unproblematic - no incest, no underage poo poo.

So I guess my point is, Heinlein had some hosed up hangups that today we would associate with right-wing libertarianism (pedo poo poo, incest, militarism, rabid anti-communism/anti-government intervention) but he was also anti-theocracy, sexually progressive, pro-worker's rights* including sex worker's rights, etc. And, yeah, it's hard to really pin down his political ideology because it changed over his career and he seemed to hold contradictory ideas that he would explore in different books. In conclusion, Heinlein is a land of contrasts.

*i know this is theoretically contrary to the aforementioned anti-communism; the Cold War was a wild time for political ideology