Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Burning Beard posted:

The thing I got as the main dish wasn’t even a taco. It was in a tray and had lettuce, tomato, cheese and onion. Some sour cream. It was some sort of custom order. I mean, the workers obviously gave me the wrong order and it’s also on me for not checking but still, I just wanted lovely Taco Bell.

Sound like you got lovely Taco Bell

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo
I feel like I'll be castigated for saying raw hamburger is an egregious thing to serve

Seems like it's a big thing in the states to cook burgers to steak temperatures (medium, medium rare etc.) and I've never understood it. From a food safety standpoint, it's far from ideal- the difference between ground beef and a steak is the amount of surface area and consequently bacteria on/in the meat. Being a solid piece of meat, a steak is safe to eat pretty much raw as long as you're killing everything on the outside with a quick sear. With ground beef that exterior has been mixed in, so you do need to ensure it's cooked fully throughout to kill all the bacteria. A burger patty isn't much different from a piece of chicken or pork in terms of the porousness/possible presence of bacteria inside. It won't be a threat every time... but is it worth risking it just to be macho or whatever eating raw meat? :clint: (there seems to be this weird, crazy hate about cooking food to proper doneness from GWS types, universally male)

The other difference is that vs a ribeye, tenderloin, strip, whatever other kind of steak- 99% of the time a hamburger is just chuck or another lesser cut, so exactly what gourmet flavors are being preserved by serving it raw? Much like brisket, it actually tastes better when it's properly, fully cooked. "Gordon Ramsay likes rare burgers!" Gordon also likes piss-watery scrambled eggs- another thing that's better when it's fully cooked (amazingly, it is possible to cook food to doneness without overcooking it- serving it raw is not more "chef like" or whatever people are trying to copy by doing that)
:ramsay:

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

i've never been crazy about anything less cooked than a medium hamburger. i'm not too worried about beef from a food safety standpoint (when drawing a comparison to chicken or pork, that is. clean and sanitary preparation is still paramount as with all food handling), but in terms of the concept of the hamburger as a dish - inside a bun with toppings and condimnets - i've always preferred medium to well done. anything less is a weird texture imo

laap is untouchable as a raw beef dish however. every variant with cooked meat pales in comparison. there's nothing like it, especially when the cow was slaughtered that day

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
Overall the worst food I've ever been served has been at public school cafeterias. Canned beans, cold hot dogs, and chicken nuggets that would bounce.

I always remember that meatloaf days came with a disclaimer: "May contain pork". Real nice for students who are trying to keep Kosher, but "may" contain pork? You're not sure what's exactly in it?

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Extra Large Marge posted:

I always remember that meatloaf days came with a disclaimer: "May contain pork". Real nice for students who are trying to keep Kosher, but "may" contain pork? You're not sure what's exactly in it?

"May contain [x]" is a standard disclaimer on many food products. It just means that there may be trace amounts of x based whatever other products the facility where it was prepared produces. Not that they don't know the ingredients.

Unless you go out of your way to screen all the food you consume, you have eaten many "may contain [something not part of the food item]" foods in your life.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Big fat medium rare hamburgers are good, that's the reason

Yes it's a bigger risk but a calculated one

It's also ok if you don't like them

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Futanari Damacy posted:

I feel like I'll be castigated for saying raw hamburger is an egregious thing to serve

Seems like it's a big thing in the states to cook burgers to steak temperatures (medium, medium rare etc.) and I've never understood it. From a food safety standpoint, it's far from ideal- the difference between ground beef and a steak is the amount of surface area and consequently bacteria on/in the meat. Being a solid piece of meat, a steak is safe to eat pretty much raw as long as you're killing everything on the outside with a quick sear. With ground beef that exterior has been mixed in, so you do need to ensure it's cooked fully throughout to kill all the bacteria. A burger patty isn't much different from a piece of chicken or pork in terms of the porousness/possible presence of bacteria inside. It won't be a threat every time... but is it worth risking it just to be macho or whatever eating raw meat? :clint: (there seems to be this weird, crazy hate about cooking food to proper doneness from GWS types, universally male)

wait til you hear about the german christmas staple known as cannibal sandwiches

Carwash Cunt
Aug 21, 2007

I was generously given a chocolate chip cookie by a student who had just come from cooking class. They were eating them, so I figured it was safe. But, instead of using cups of sugar, they baked used cups of salt. No idea how they were able to eat them, but it tasted like a salt water mouth rinse.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Carwash oval office posted:

I was generously given a chocolate chip cookie by a student who had just come from cooking class. They were eating them, so I figured it was safe. But, instead of using cups of sugar, they baked used cups of salt. No idea how they were able to eat them, but it tasted like a salt water mouth rinse.

On a college campus some Christian group has a table out near the student union and was offering everyone free cookies. They were big individually wrapped sugar cookies and they looked good so I accepted one.

Once you unwrap it there was a circle of paper under the cookie that said by accepting and opening this cookie you have accepted Jesus Christ as your lord and savior, which, I mean rude but also lol I don't think that's how salvation is supposed to work.

Anyway my friends and I have since referred to sneaky trojan horse bait and switch tricks as Jesus Cookies.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

PhazonLink posted:

Since we're talking about Food Metrology, its also great/funny how the industries of Big Coffee, Big Tea, and Big Rice also all have their own idea of what a cup is.

jesus just make that poo poo 250 mL.

it wouldn't be metrology if it wasn't a giant pain in the loving rear end department run by people who won't agree on anything or put their signature on critical stuff in a timely manner

Beardcrumb
Sep 24, 2018

An absolute gronk with a face like a chewed mango.
A friend's mum back in early high school served us some mushroom soup from a can. We knew it wouldn't be great but also not inedible so we all dug in.

It was clear from the first spoonful though that something was awry. Turns out she had added dollar store sprite to the soup in order to "give it some zing". It was like a 2:1 ratio of soup to lemonade.

I'm still haunted by that taste 20 years later.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Beardcrumb posted:

A friend's mum back in early high school served us some mushroom soup from a can. We knew it wouldn't be great but also not inedible so we all dug in.

It was clear from the first spoonful though that something was awry. Turns out she had added dollar store sprite to the soup in order to "give it some zing". It was like a 2:1 ratio of soup to lemonade.

This has gotten the biggest visceral :gonk: from me so far

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

The Bloop posted:

On a college campus some Christian group has a table out near the student union and was offering everyone free cookies. They were big individually wrapped sugar cookies and they looked good so I accepted one.

Once you unwrap it there was a circle of paper under the cookie that said by accepting and opening this cookie you have accepted Jesus Christ as your lord and savior, which, I mean rude but also lol I don't think that's how salvation is supposed to work.

Anyway my friends and I have since referred to sneaky trojan horse bait and switch tricks as Jesus Cookies.

one weird trick to salvation, Pagans HATE this!!

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Extra Large Marge posted:

Overall the worst food I've ever been served has been at public school cafeterias. Canned beans, cold hot dogs, and chicken nuggets that would bounce.

The whole point of eating meatloaf is not knowing what went into the meatloaf. Same applies to sausages and your mom.

Carwash Cunt
Aug 21, 2007

Beardcrumb posted:

I just started doing the Italian Spider Man head shake.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Beardcrumb posted:

My toes curdled at this.

Although I have had cakes and pastries with 7-Up added to the mix and they’re great. But mushroom soup?? :barf:

Beardcrumb
Sep 24, 2018

An absolute gronk with a face like a chewed mango.
I can't even describe the flavour as nothing similar exists... maybe bile?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Outrail posted:

The whole point of eating meatloaf is not knowing what went into the meatloaf. Same applies to sausages and your mom.

I came in both, sorry to let the secret out

coldpudding
May 14, 2009

FORUM GHOST

The Bloop posted:

Jesus Cookies.

I wish I got a Jesus cookie instead of getting short changed with a Jesus dollar. :argh:

One time while staying a night at my aunts for dinner I got served up quite possibly the saltiest pasta the world has ever known.
I honestly don't know how she did it or how she managed to scoff it all down without a drink, It was like trying to eat a bag of salt.
I only managed to eat half my plate with the help of several glasses of water.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

coldpudding posted:

One time while staying a night at my aunts for dinner I got served up quite possibly the saltiest pasta the world has ever known.
I honestly don't know how she did it or how she managed to scoff it all down without a drink, It was like trying to eat a bag of salt.

OMFG FURRY
Jul 10, 2006

[snarky comment]

Beardcrumb posted:

thats not how soda bread works!!!!!!

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

coldpudding posted:

I wish I got a Jesus cookie instead of getting short changed with a Jesus dollar. :argh:

years ago, a friend was making margaritas from a recipe, and on the ingredients list they had some fairly large quantity of salt intended for rimming the glasses. he didn't actually read the directions and just went down the list throwing everything into the blender, including the salt. those margaritas tasted like sea water to the point of being undrinkable

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Futanari Damacy posted:

The other difference is that vs a ribeye, tenderloin, strip, whatever other kind of steak- 99% of the time a hamburger is just chuck or another lesser cut, so exactly what gourmet flavors are being preserved by serving it raw? Much like brisket, it actually tastes better when it's properly, fully cooked. "Gordon Ramsay likes rare burgers!" Gordon also likes piss-watery scrambled eggs- another thing that's better when it's fully cooked (amazingly, it is possible to cook food to doneness without overcooking it- serving it raw is not more "chef like" or whatever people are trying to copy by doing that)

I like tartare but only to the degree to which I trust the kitchen or butcher they are coming from. Freshly ground from a decent chuck using a well sanitized/maintained grinder, it’s perfectly safe.

E: to be clear, I’ve worked at multiple restaurants and I wouldn’t trust any of them to serve raw burgs- not sure if this reflects badly on the industry or my lovely luck getting jobs

A local delicacy here is pretty horrifying for most folks: “Parisian steak”

It’s a raw burger patty that’s been briefly seared and served on buttered white toast. It’s topped with a raw egg yolk, horseradish, capers, raw onion and pickled beetroot.

Most tourist places serve the burg well done, but this is arguably worse mouthfeel because now the only moisture in the dish is coming from the raw yolk.

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Jun 22, 2022

Lawrence Gilchrist
Mar 31, 2010

Futanari Damacy posted:

A lot of cheap steaks at US discount grocers are "mechanically tenderized" meaning you would want to cook them like a hamburger since the contaminants have been driven into the meat with needles. Usually vacuum sealed packets contain this label somewhere in small print

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Doctor Dogballs posted:

lettuce, tomato, cheese, beans, guac, sour cream, rice, in a burrito.

They specifically said it had no beans!

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

The Bloop posted:

Big fat medium rare hamburgers are good, that's the reason

Yes it's a bigger risk but a calculated one

It's also ok if you don't like them

I always get medium rare hamburgers cause even if they gently caress up it's just eating a poor man's tartare on a bun

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Aesop Poprock posted:

I always get medium rare hamburgers cause even if they gently caress up it's just eating a poor man's tartare on a bun

Yeah exactly, gently caress it up in either direction and it's ok

Try to get it medium well and half the time you end up with hockey puck

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

Fruits of the sea posted:

I like tartare but only to the degree to which I trust the kitchen or butcher they are coming from. Freshly ground from a decent chuck using a well sanitized/maintained grinder, it’s perfectly safe.

E: to be clear, I’ve worked at multiple restaurants and I wouldn’t trust any of them to serve raw burgs- not sure if this reflects badly on the industry or my lovely luck getting jobs

It’s a raw burger patty that’s been briefly seared and served on buttered white toast. It’s topped with a raw egg yolk, horseradish, capers, raw onion and pickled beetroot.

Most tourist places serve the burg well done, but this is arguably worse mouthfeel because now the only moisture in the dish is coming from the raw yolk.

That actually sounds pretty good to my hosed up palate. I love capers, horseradish, and anything pickled.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
All three of those things rule

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Nostradingus posted:

That actually sounds pretty good to my hosed up palate. I love capers, horseradish, and anything pickled.

I'm not big on raw ground chuck, but make it a salmon tartare and it sounds amazing.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Nostradingus posted:

Yeah I think it’s delicious but the raw ingredients plus horseradish are pretty divisive so I’ve stopped suggesting it to visitors.

This though is a loving amazing idea and I’m going to try it:

Das Boo posted:

I'm not big on raw ground chuck, but make it a salmon tartare and it sounds amazing.

An example of the tasty and/or disgusting “steak”. Pickled beetroots are mysteriously absent but I forgot about the traditional bowl of yellow miscellaneous pickled vegetables. Mandatory beer and cumin schnapps. There’s greasy toast somewhere under everything else.

Poo In An Alleyway
Feb 12, 2016

I'm usually the cause of egregious meals since my mother steadfastly refused to teach me how to cook anything in case I did it better than her and I had to learn myself through trial and (literal hundreds of) error. My mother has a tendency to boil absolutely everything, to the point that it no longer retains any flavour. Vegetables end up usually tasting like rubbery cardboard, and boy does she love serving vegetables with every meal because "they're so easy to cook!"

pro starcraft loser
Jan 23, 2006

Stand back, this could get messy.

Doctor Dogballs posted:

lettuce, tomato, cheese, beans, guac, sour cream, rice, in a burrito.

I literally order this at Chipotle sometimes. (No beans)

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

The first college I went to was actually one of the better universities nationwide for its food quality, and my sophomore year definitely confirmed that because I was living next to a brand new dining hall and the stuff they served in there was excellent. But in my freshman year I had a egregious incident at a smaller on-campus eatery. It was like a ham, cheese and rosemary calzone. Seemed fine, ordered one and took it back to sit down and eat. I bite into it and suddenly I'm hit with an overwhelming taste of rosemary. There was ham and cheese in it but I couldn't taste any of it because of all the rosemary flavor. To make things worse, I started choking too because whatever student chef they had making them had decided to put whole sprigs, branches and all into the calzones. I was choking on a wooden branch. Eventually I managed to get the branch out but goddamn I was worried about choking to death in that place. Almost 15 years later now and every time I think of or taste rosemary I think of this story.

edit: I did not finish the rosemary bomb. I think I ended up stumbling back to my dorm and just not eating that night.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
I've got a rosemary plant and I can't use the stuff. utterly overwhelms whatever I've tried it in.

I will occasionally put a whole branch in a quiche, but just for presentation...

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
I once made saag and served it to some friends but missed a bay leaf and one of said friends just crunched it down before I realized what was going on.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Empty Sandwich posted:

I've got a rosemary plant and I can't use the stuff. utterly overwhelms whatever I've tried it in.

I will occasionally put a whole branch in a quiche, but just for presentation...

A tablespoon or so chopped up finely into roasted potatoes.

A whole sprig in the butter used to pan fry a steak. Spoon the butter over top the steak while it’s cooking.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
I don't know if I've got a weird cultivar or what's going on but in order to be palatable that tbsp would have to go into like 10 lbs of potat

it's just super intense and piney, much more intense than either the dried or fresh grocery store stuff

DemonDarkhorse
Nov 5, 2011

It's probably not tobacco. You just need to start wiping front-to-back from now on.
At a baby shower: slices of white bread with a choice selection* of coldcuts. only condiment was mustard. there was also a veggie tray with carrots, broccoli, and cauliflower. no dip.

*prepackaged balogna or ham.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Fruits of the sea posted:

Do you actually trust any restaurants?