Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

:lol:
Ok, this is the best thing to come out of this series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

nine-gear crow posted:

As someone whose formative years were centered around the LucasArts Star Wars games, which very handily expanded the universe away from and outside of the Skywalker Bullshit, the idea that Star Wars is and always should be exclusively about space wizards and is purely about space wizards at its heart and soul is just so alien to me.

Even the guy from TIE Fighter was a space wizard.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Jerusalem posted:

Who is feeding Obi-Wan's space camel on Tatooine is what I really want to know :ohdear:

The head writer of the show went on the Ringerverse House of R podcast after episode 4 came out and that was one of the questions they asked him. And his response was that Obi-Wan left it a lot of food, and as a desert dweller it can go a long time between feeding.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Sash! posted:

Even the guy from TIE Fighter was a space wizard.

So was the guy from Dark Forces, eventually.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

howe_sam posted:

The head writer of the show went on the Ringerverse House of R podcast after episode 4 came out and that was one of the questions they asked him. And his response was that Obi-Wan left it a lot of food, and as a desert dweller it can go a long time between feeding.

Humiliating

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Totally whiffed a perfect opportunity to be cute and say "oh the Jawa is feeding him"

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

howe_sam posted:

Should have left in a scene of Obi Wan leaving the factory with a comically large bulge on his stomach as he smuggled the food out past the corrupt overseer :colbert:

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

2house2fly posted:

I honestly wouldn't in a million years have guessed the plot of the Obi-Wan show would be "he travels around with Leia and gets chased by Darth Vader". I thought like at most they'd figure out a way to get him off Tatooine

Big Mean Jerk posted:

So was the guy from Dark Forces, eventually.
Always found it amusing that these were supposed to be the same guy

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Jun 21, 2022

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

we sent him to a moisture farm up-planet

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Jerusalem posted:

Who is feeding Obi-Wan's space camel on Tatooine is what I really want to know :ohdear:

The first episode had a very significant shot of Obi-Wan slyly wrapping up a small cut of meat and concealing it in his robe that they repeated like three times. I figured he was going to get called out/fired, but instead... nothing happened.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
Moisture Farmer Mountain Dew Challenge: Do the Dewback

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

The REAL Goobusters posted:

It is awesome to completely ignore what’s been happening in marketing over the last 20 years.

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Agree. It says a lot about Disney when in their own words they realized the only reason Solo was bad was because they recast Han Solo. They’re never going to actually admit what they did or why what they made was bad.

Now who loving doesn't know how marketing works? Why would Disney ever be out there saying "yeah dog we made a bad movie sorry everyone". You seem to think that corporations are playing 5D chess with their marketing strategies and depending on racist tweets drawing attention away from bad reviews when this show reviewed really well and continues to do so.

It's such an inane conversation to be having, as if the last like 10 years of angry racist nerd screeds isn't just the same poo poo that has been happening across all media and politics and the world in general. But no yeah it's definitely Disney exaggerating a backlash against Moses Ingram/Kathleen Kennedy/Kelly Marie Tran as opposed to something that happens on the internet literally every day to women and people of colour - it's all nuwoke striverist wokewashed nuprogressive virtue signalling to make the far left and far right fight each other, while I, the brilliant independent thinker, sit to myself and chuckle at the plebs who continue to dance beneath the puppet master's strings :jerkbag:

Goddamn this thread loving sucks man

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

Hakkesshu posted:

Now who loving doesn't know how marketing works? Why would Disney ever be out there saying "yeah dog we made a bad movie sorry everyone". You seem to think that corporations are playing 5D chess with their marketing strategies and depending on racist tweets drawing attention away from bad reviews when this show reviewed really well and continues to do so.

It's such an inane conversation to be having, as if the last like 10 years of angry racist nerd screeds isn't just the same poo poo that has been happening across all media and politics and the world in general. But no yeah it's definitely Disney exaggerating a backlash against Moses Ingram/Kathleen Kennedy/Kelly Marie Tran as opposed to something that happens on the internet literally every day to women and people of colour - it's all nuwoke striverist wokewashed nuprogressive virtue signalling to make the far left and far right fight each other, while I, the brilliant independent thinker, sit to myself and chuckle at the plebs who continue to dance beneath the puppet master's strings :jerkbag:

Goddamn this thread loving sucks man

There's a big difference between depending on something and being prepared for and willing to take advantage of something, which is, by your own account, as dependable as clockwork. You seem to think audience reviews and crowd reaction always match up. As if there hasn't been a huge divide between critical acclaim and popularity. Jurassic Park Dominion (which actually has pretty strong "woke" environmental messages in it) is currently sitting at 30% critic rating and 78% audience rating. I guess it's getting reverse review bombed by radical environmentalists?

Also if review bombing is so easily detectable as everyone in this thread says it is, why wouldn't IMDB and RottenTomatoes just filter out? I'm sure the studio heads would appreciate that? Could it be that in addition to a small band of misogynists/racists voting 1 star, a good chunk of non-misogynist/racist viewers also think these particular projects suck?

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Obi Wan is also the second worst reviewed currently popular show on RT, sitting at 83 percent, while other currently running streaming shows The Boys is at 98, Stranger Things is at 89, Ms Marvel is at 95, Umbrella Academy is at 91, and Peaky Blinders is at 100.

No executive is seeing the show as "reviewing really well" because it isn't. They want everything in the 90s, not dropping towards the 70s. And, yeah, RT is a stupid metric but it's a stupid metric that's used for perception, and being 10 points below the other popular stuff is not a good look.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Disney have their viewing numbers, and the show exists to keep people talking about Star Wars and keep people subscribing to Disney+. When you aren't trying to sell advertising with your show or the DVDs then the business relationship with critic/audience reviews changes a bit.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

2house2fly posted:

as a kid I was into the TIE fighters and X-wings. I knew there were lightsabres, but I was like whatever

same. the space battles were always the best part

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

howe_sam posted:

did they get asked any questions about why the show is such a mess?

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

Bulky Bartokomous posted:

There's a big difference between depending on something and being prepared for and willing to take advantage of something, which is, by your own account, as dependable as clockwork. You seem to think audience reviews and crowd reaction always match up. As if there hasn't been a huge divide between critical acclaim and popularity. Jurassic Park Dominion (which actually has pretty strong "woke" environmental messages in it) is currently sitting at 30% critic rating and 78% audience rating. I guess it's getting reverse review bombed by radical environmentalists?

Also if review bombing is so easily detectable as everyone in this thread says it is, why wouldn't IMDB and RottenTomatoes just filter out? I'm sure the studio heads would appreciate that? Could it be that in addition to a small band of misogynists/racists voting 1 star, a good chunk of non-misogynist/racist viewers also think these particular projects suck?

Again. Disney's actions have been limited entirely to a tweet in defense of Ingram made after she noted the abuse on her social media and signal boosting a video made by Ewan MacGregor in his car.

Both actions were made AFTER Ingram received racist messages. Both actions also, if we're being honest, constitute the bare minimum. Now, obviously Disney is a corporation whose entire reason for existing is to hoover up money, and every action they take, either positive or negative should be viewed through that lens. No doubt that they took those actions in order to avoid bad pr or criticism and to create an image of themselves as a progressive company. BUT the idea that they have somehow created the review bombing, or are relying on it as a part of their marketing or to distract from bad responses has no evidence and is purely a conspiracy theory.

Edit: It's also an awful conspiracy theory cause it a) removes agency and responsibility from the people sending the abusive messages. b) implies that doing nothing in response to abuse is the correct course of action.

It does beg the question, what do you think Disney should do?

Karloff fucked around with this message at 12:06 on Jun 21, 2022

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Also if review bombing is so easily detectable as everyone in this thread says it is, why wouldn't IMDB and RottenTomatoes just filter out?

Why wouldn't Twitter just filter out slurs? Why wouldn't Instagram just protect against targeted attacks? Why wouldn't Facebook just do anything at all about the incredibly harmful poo poo that it is allowing to happen every day? Is this a serious question?

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
Review bombing can be a thing but the real takeaway is how these critics have the show as a 87% fresh :lol:

What the gently caress are they watching

the disney bucks flowing into their bank accounts

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Darko posted:

Obi Wan is also the second worst reviewed currently popular show on RT, sitting at 83 percent, while other currently running streaming shows The Boys is at 98, Stranger Things is at 89, Ms Marvel is at 95, Umbrella Academy is at 91, and Peaky Blinders is at 100.

No executive is seeing the show as "reviewing really well" because it isn't. They want everything in the 90s, not dropping towards the 70s. And, yeah, RT is a stupid metric but it's a stupid metric that's used for perception, and being 10 points below the other popular stuff is not a good look.

Obviously they would like for their RT score to be higher, but you're talking about critic reviews, which they have no control over (unless you wanna start arguing about whether or not they pay off reviewers, which, let's not). But okay, let's look at the audience score, which is currently at 62%. That seems about right for this show, which, by the way, I also don't think is very good.

Googling it, it was apparently at 71% when it premiered. The disparity does not seem massive, so if we assume that review bombing accounts for around 10%. What has Disney supposedly done here?

1) Paid a bunch of news sites to write about how the show is getting review bombed so they can... do what? Direct attention away from those 10% negative user ratings and get people to be mad about supposed strawman racists on social media? What does that accomplish for them? It doesn't increase the score again and it's not going to convince anyone who doesn't like the show that it's suddenly good.

2) They wrote a tweet where they said that queer characters are not political and that wars are. This is the bare minimum they can do.

Are these strategies working for them? Are people "distracted" enough to worry about racism rather than the quality of the show? How can anyone tell? We don't have viewer numbers on Disney+, but the people who have spent the last decade complaining about Kathleen Kennedy don't exactly need an excuse to jump on the latest controversy of a Disney account writing a tweet, so the cycle continues as normal.

In either case none of this comes off like a targeted campaign to weaponize wokeism or what the gently caress ever. Which, yeah, they are obviously doing the standard thing of saying "yay pride month" while also cutting out scenes of homosexuality in Asian countries, I'm not denying that they are doing the same token bullshit that every megacorp does. This all just seems extremely par for the course and the idea that they are making it look worse than it is to deflect from the show being kind of mediocre, I just don't think has any basis in reality, because they are barely lifting a finger in support of Moses Ingram, who herself has done way more to highlight the racist attacks than Disney fuckin has.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

Hakkesshu posted:

Why wouldn't Twitter just filter out slurs? Why wouldn't Instagram just protect against targeted attacks? Why wouldn't Facebook just do anything at all about the incredibly harmful poo poo that it is allowing to happen every day? Is this a serious question?

Or....what if the overwhelming majority of the bad reviews are......genuine!

Karloff posted:

Again. Disney's actions have been limited entirely to a tweet in defense of Ingram made after she noted the abuse on her social media and signal boosting a video made by Ewan MacGregor in his car.

Both actions were made AFTER Ingram received racist messages. Both actions also, if we're being honest, constitute the bare minimum. Now, obviously Disney is a corporation whose entire reason for existing is to hoover up money, and every action they take, either positive or negative should be viewed through that lens. No doubt that they took those actions in order to avoid bad pr or criticism and to create an image of themselves as a progressive company. BUT the idea that they have somehow created the review bombing, or are relying on it as a part of their marketing or to distract from bad responses has no evidence and is purely a conspiracy theory.

Edit: It's also an awful conspiracy theory cause it a) removes agency and responsibility from the people sending the abusive messages. b) implies that doing nothing in response to abuse is the correct course of action.

It does beg the question, what do you think Disney should do?

I define Disney's actions as more than just what the official Star Wars Twitter account says. There were a bunch of stories before the series came out about Disney preparing Moses Ingram for the racist backlash.

I agree that it is an awful conspiracy theory that Disney is intentionally making bad products to trigger (pardon the pun) outrage from internet racists, I don't think I've seen anyone in here say that.

Just to clarify my views since it keeps getting a little twisted:
A - Disney is NOT intentionally making bad shows or creating review bombing.
B - Disney IS happy to use racist internet idiots to deflect legitimate criticism.
C - Racists/Misogynists 100% should be called out as the shitbags they are.
D - Disney doesn't need to do B directly, it has an ecosystem of content creators to do that for them because.....

Nodoze posted:

Not directly of course, but they do have incentives to stay in the good graces of Disney if they want early access, access to stars for interviews, etc..

Bulky Bartokomous fucked around with this message at 13:35 on Jun 21, 2022

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I don't understand what we are arguing anymore. What is a genuine review? Just from a cursory glance a lot of the negative reviews are poo poo like this:

Are these genuine? How can one tell? Is the argument that people aren't doing this for racist reasons and that it's all manufactured? I can't really prove or disprove that, but I definitely can go on Twitter and find a lot of racist people very quickly and easily and see how a lot of the very basic "Disney ruined Star Wars" discourse overlaps with people complaining about wokeism and sjws also ruining Star Wars. All one has to do is search for Kathleen Kennedy on Youtube.

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Jun 21, 2022

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

I define Disney's actions as more than just what the official Star Wars Twitter account says. There were a bunch of stories before the series came out about Disney preparing Moses Ingram for the racist backlash.

I agree that it is an awful conspiracy theory that Disney is intentionally making bad products to trigger (pardon the pun) outrage from internet racists, I don't think I've seen anyone in here say that.

Just to clarify my views since it keeps getting a little twisted:
A - Disney is NOT intentionally making bad shows or creating review bombing.
B - Disney IS happy to use racist internet idiots to deflect legitimate criticism.
C - Racists/Misogynists 100% should be called out as the shitbags they are.
D - Disney doesn't need to do B directly, it has an ecosystem of content creators to do that for them because.....

Not directly of course, but they do have incentives to stay in the good graces of Disney if they want early access, access to stars for interviews, etc..

As I showed earlier, a good portion of the major sites that reported on review bombing have all also made articles highly critical of Disney. The idea that they are in the pocket of Disney, again, lacks any evidence. The idea that the Guardian, who has exposed wrong doing by global superpowers, would be remotely influenced by Disney is patently ridiculous. Which particular outlets who reported on the controversy around Obi Wan do you think are under the control, either directly or indirectly, of Disney?

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

davecrazy posted:

My 11 year old was pissed at episode 3 of Obi Wan.

We watched the YouTube clip of the ANH Obi Wan/Vader fight right after and his kept going “now the dialogue doesn’t make any sense!”

My problem with most Star Wars media is that it’s a mile wide an an inch deep. There is probably a great story about Obi Wan Kenobi living in exile that does not have him swashbuckling across the galaxy saving Princess Leia and fighting Darth Vader again.

My kid pointed out that in ANH Luke peels off and goes to watch the fight but Leia keeps going for the Falcon. If she had such a long history with Obi Wan wouldn’t she too get distracted by the battle her old protector was waging.

I dunno. I got over being mad about Star Wars in 1999. It’s just kinda meh.

Smart kid

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Nodoze posted:

Review bombing can be a thing but the real takeaway is how these critics have the show as a 87% fresh :lol:

What the gently caress are they watching

It’s been impossible to believe almost all marvel and Star Wars critics, especially recently. It’s wild how only eternals got bad reviews while the other movies in the MCU this past year were abysmal as well.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Perhaps an issue is that RT doesn't really leave any room for nuance since even "eh, mediocre but watchable" reviews are still counted as good a lot of the time. In our struggle to make everything as easily digestible as possible that tends to be the end result. Or maybe reviewers simply liked a movie where you didn't, it might be possible.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

You’re all arguing with a self acknowledged marketing executive. They’re just gonna keep doin words

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

The fact that Eternals DID get bad reviews essentially destroys any "Disney pay off critics" theories.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

That DICK! posted:

You’re all arguing with a self acknowledged marketing executive. They’re just gonna keep doin words

Don't worry I'm definitely going to stop posting in this thread.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Karloff posted:

The fact that Eternals DID get bad reviews essentially destroys any "Disney pay off critics" theories.

Disney might not like outright cut physical checks or whatever, but an RT critic admitted that they and presumably others write fake reviews to maintain exclusive access to premiere events and other poo poo like that.

https://boundingintocomics.com/2019...es-controversy/

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Karloff posted:

I am sure they tried - tons of articles before it came out on how beautiful and real this was gonna be. Then it was just a complete mess - I didn't mind it when I saw it though. The Eternal rising out the Earth was pretty cool but most of the stuff outside of that is dumb poo poo. So they can't really salvage that.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

Hakkesshu posted:

Don't worry I'm definitely going to stop posting in this thread.

Don't do that. I'll shut up. It's fair to say nobody is going to change their minds at this point. I have a hard time letting go of arguments, I guess I post like Anakin fights.

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

teagone posted:

Disney might not like outright cut physical checks or whatever, but an RT critic admitted that they and presumably others write fake reviews to maintain exclusive access to premiere events and other poo poo like that.

I've not heard the full podcast, but the dude in the clip doesn't say that he's writing fake reviews, just that he plays "softball" and "picks his battles" to maintain access. Now to be charitable that might be a semantic difference, and I'll give the benefit of the doubt, perhaps the full podcast is more explicit in those terms vis a vis Disney. But that doesn't change the fact that Disney productions can and do receive negative reviews, including the last Star Wars film, which is as high profile as you can get.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
disney do a lot of dumb stuff to put their thumb on the scale, but let's not act as if stuff like rotten tomatoes really has any serious use as an index of quality, all review indices are are garbage and should be taken as such

Generic American
Mar 15, 2012

I love my Peng

teagone posted:

Uh, isn't Bounding Into Comics like some alt-right "go woke, go broke" clickbait farm? I might be mixing it up with some other site, but the name seems really familiar to me in a bad way.

e: Okay yeah, gently caress this site and anything they have to say.
https://boundingintocomics.com/2022/06/18/comedian-jerrod-carmichael-goes-on-bizarre-rant-about-dave-chappelles-opinions-on-trans-s-t/

quote:

Chappelle, of course, did not create that so-called hill. Rather, LGBTQ+ advocates did when they began to demand that every institution – including entertainment, sports, the armed forces, the intelligence community, politics, news, education, health care, food stuffs, and even churches – cater specifically to their own personal insecurities.

Said advocates have grown so fanatical that they’ve even taken to forcing children to conform to their ideologies, becoming outraged when we object to it.

And now, with threats of cancellation constantly wielded as a weapon, none of us can even escape it any longer. They won’t let us.

Generic American fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Jun 21, 2022

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Generic American posted:

Uh, isn't Bounding Into Comics like some alt-right "go woke, go broke" clickbait farm? I might be mixing it up with some other site, but the name seems really familiar to me in a bad way.

e: Okay yeah, gently caress this site and anything they have to say.
https://boundingintocomics.com/2022/06/18/comedian-jerrod-carmichael-goes-on-bizarre-rant-about-dave-chappelles-opinions-on-trans-s-t/

Oh gross. I just did a google search to find something relevant to link instead of just a tweet. But lol the twitter account that shared the RT podcast clip also appears to be a shithead who supports Gina Carano and JK Rowling.

:rip:

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Karloff posted:

I've not heard the full podcast, but the dude in the clip doesn't say that he's writing fake reviews, just that he plays "softball" and "picks his battles" to maintain access. Now to be charitable that might be a semantic difference, and I'll give the benefit of the doubt, perhaps the full podcast is more explicit in those terms vis a vis Disney. But that doesn't change the fact that Disney productions can and do receive negative reviews, including the last Star Wars film, which is as high profile as you can get.

Right, I'm just suggesting the perks that Disney might have or has offered critics/media outlets could be a significant factor in how "well reviewed" a movie or whatever other Disney venture might be. Not saying Disney are the ONLY ones doing this either, just that maybe said perks they offer might be more valuable on a per critic/media outlet basis or whatever.

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

To be clear, Disney does all kinds of heinous poo poo, from the way they treat/pay their staff to outright bullying exhibitors, removing access to older films etc and hundreds more. But, it's important to focus on the things they actually do, rather than just things one speculates they would do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

teagone posted:

Right, I'm just suggesting the perks that Disney might have or has offered critics/media outlets could be a significant factor in how "well reviewed" a movie or whatever other Disney venture might be. Not saying Disney are the ONLY ones doing this either, just that maybe said perks they offer might be more valuable on a per critic/media outlet basis or whatever.

This is far more of a thing with influencers and youtubers rather than legitimate publications, at least these days. Also more to the point that they don't need to pay off professional reviewers when they've got non-professional fan communites with their own followers in the thousands who will gladly gush over any old slop so long as Disney sends them a custom Grogu figure or something.

I can't speak to their internal metrics but I'd bet that Disney doesn't actually care that much about Rotten Tomatoes outside of just being able to use good ratings for trailers.

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Jun 21, 2022