Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

0konner
Nov 17, 2016

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY

Happy Underpants posted:

I don't think there should be a difference. I haven't messed with witches that much in unity though so tell me how it goes.

So far it sucks I get lots of vaernimas and nocturnals over and over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?

0konner posted:

With the daggerfall covens, is there any benefit to going back to one coven every new day or am I rerolling the same way by fast traveling from one coven to the next?

If you stick with one and do quests for them the price goes down. I think 20 quests = 100 rep = 50% discount. Same discount for 100 rep with either temples and mages guild

0konner
Nov 17, 2016

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY

Guildenstern Mother posted:

If you stick with one and do quests for them the price goes down. I think 20 quests = 100 rep = 50% discount. Same discount for 100 rep with either temples and mages guild

Rep helps success rate too right? I’m level 17 and the 200K gold is basically no object at this point.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Rep with the actual daedra in question helps it also weather apparently. Good luck figuring out what quests piss Azura off without the wiki.(which if you haven't dug through the list of all the factions the game tracks your rep with, you should, it's an absolute trip)

Here's a good example, in the reputation gain/loss section

https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Daggerfall:Protect_an_Honored_Mage#Reputation_Gain.2FLoss

Guildenstern Mother fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Jun 13, 2022

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Not sure if it's been mentioned, but GOG.COM now has a Unity enhanced version of Daggerfall available for free. For those of you who don't want to install all that poo poo on your own, I think that's pretty cool.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

chaosapiant posted:

Not sure if it's been mentioned, but GOG.COM now has a Unity enhanced version of Daggerfall available for free. For those of you who don't want to install all that poo poo on your own, I think that's pretty cool.

Daggerfall Unity is awesome, it is very well done. 60+ fps Daggerfall with instant loading screens and extreme view distances (with a mod) is incredible. The game doesn't feel slow and clunky anymore.

Node fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Jun 15, 2022

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
What's the mod/a good site or list for Daggerfall Unity mods? Been Morrowinding, it's time for Daggerfall

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

What's the mod/a good site or list for Daggerfall Unity mods? Been Morrowinding, it's time for Daggerfall

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Qc6VQAxo88

with spreadsheet linked below

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

The GOG Cut version comes preinstalled with a big pack of them, so that might be a good place to start: https://www.gog.com/game/daggerfall_unity_gog_cut

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

FishMcCool posted:

The GOG Cut version comes preinstalled with a big pack of them, so that might be a good place to start: https://www.gog.com/game/daggerfall_unity_gog_cut

I would note that the very first mod on that list, DREAM, makes everything look like 90s plastic CGI, so it's incredibly love/hate. See the video I linked for other options/comparisons.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

DREAM is an awesome mod and I think every mod list should have it.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Made a character in Daggerfall. Died almost immediately

Made another, died almost immediately.

The authentic Daggerfall experience, just as I remember it!

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

Deptfordx posted:

Made a character in Daggerfall. Died almost immediately

Made another, died almost immediately.

The authentic Daggerfall experience, just as I remember it!

The authentic Daggerfall experience is getting lost in a dungeon that is bigger than most games because you are on a quest to fetch a pinch of clover.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

From memory the actual authentic Daggerfall experience is uninstalling it in frustration as it just crashed for the nth time.

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
Or falling through the floor

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

It's restarting because you forgot which race's paper dolls don't line up with the clothing sprites and you're sick of looking fat in your tights.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
The Imperial arena fight where they throw three Argonian slaves at you is really hosed up. :smith:

Almost makes me wanna boot up Morrowind right now and have a "chat" with House Telvanni. :fuckoff:

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
I mean, Telvannis are lovely uppity slaver bastards, but then, on the other hand... MUSHROOM HOUSING! :shroom:

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

FishMcCool posted:

I mean, Telvannis are lovely uppity slaver bastards, but then, on the other hand... MUSHROOM HOUSING! :shroom:

so kill the telvanni and take their cool mushrooms

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

yeah I think they like that actually

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Hlaalu and thus the Empire profit more off slavery, they just don't mask off about it.

hawowanlawow posted:

yeah I think they like that actually
Argonian abolitionist becomes leader, murders all who refuse to release slaves, replaces them with other freedmen mage lords

Divath Fyr: "Cool"

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Hlaalu and thus the Empire profit more off slavery, they just don't mask off about it.

Argonian abolitionist becomes leader, murders all who refuse to release slaves, replaces them with other freedmen mage lords

Divath Fyr: "Cool"

A member of House Hlaalu is also the leader of the Twin Lamps abolitionist faction.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Vvardenfell is a land of contrasts

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

7c Nickel posted:

A member of House Hlaalu is also the leader of the Twin Lamps abolitionist faction.
And they have close ties to the Cammona Tong, who are not just nativist thugs but also are under the sway of Dagoth Ur!

In conclusion,

hawowanlawow posted:

Vvardenfell is a land of contrasts

TheNamedSavior
Mar 10, 2019

by VideoGames
Kill all of the Great Houses. And Vivec. And the "king" of Morrowind. They all deserve to die.

Best Ending. Morrowind is free from it's awful land lords and begins an age of free thinking and equa-and then the loving volcano erupted, poo poo.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO
I've been playing Daggerfall Unity and it got me thinking I'd really like an game that just did away with the overarching plot and was just procedurally generated stuff in a giant world. Something like I dunno, Battle Brother where maybe it felt less rogue like and more a familiar but different world to plop my hero down into and explore. I like the idea of knowing I have an hour to play games, and that I can boot up a game, hit up a village for a job, go kill the bad guys for the guffin and make a number go up.

I get that ES games are made by those big plots, and maybe they could still exist with the significant actors placed in the procedural world. I'm not a game designer so I have no idea how you'd do something like that, but that would be my ideal "waiting for TES6" spin off game. That seems to be a focus for Skyrim modding too, with the alternate start and faction mods, so there's probably some demand for it.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

I mean no one actually does the main quest in daggerfall so you're about halfway there. Just meet brisienna the one time and then run off to your favorite backwater country and do whatever.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

I mean no one actually does the main quest in daggerfall

:hmmyes:

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

I mean no one actually does the main quest in daggerfall Bethesda games.

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

I think a fantastic way to do this would be to create factions that you could interact with leading to a final confrontation at a time and place of your choosing, kind of like what they did with New Vegas, but with a focus on faction reputation, alliances, and strength. You could basically make the gameplay be a plausible “just do all the quests then move on” but still give people a sense that it fits into the larger whole.

Hire me, Todd.

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

I haven't played Skyrim since like 2013 (on PC) and I am interested in playing some of the DLC content. It looks like Special Edition is the only official way to do this, but I really don't want to have to drop another $40 on this 10+ year old game. Also some of the reviews of the anniversary upgrade say that an update to SE at the same time as the upgrade released killed a bunch of mod compatibility. Is that still an issue? Is there anywhere I can still get cheap keys for the DLC for the original? This just seems really lovely on the part of Bethesda to take this stuff away.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Like all the mods are for special edition now

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Machai posted:

I haven't played Skyrim since like 2013 (on PC) and I am interested in playing some of the DLC content. It looks like Special Edition is the only official way to do this, but I really don't want to have to drop another $40 on this 10+ year old game. Also some of the reviews of the anniversary upgrade say that an update to SE at the same time as the upgrade released killed a bunch of mod compatibility. Is that still an issue? Is there anywhere I can still get cheap keys for the DLC for the original? This just seems really lovely on the part of Bethesda to take this stuff away.

it's fine, the mods are pretty much all for special edition at this point and the creation club stuff you get from the anniversary edition is good by itself honestly

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Machai posted:

There’s a downgrade patch many people use to turn the Anniversary Edition into SE for mod compatibility.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Started a Daggerfall unity run on the weekend. When it finally stopped crashing and I could load into cities, I got a 30 month round trip to do a story quest with a 31 day time limit, but I can't do the dungeon anyways because I don't have the levitation spell and my climbing can't get me out of the tomb anyways.

Skyrim modding on the AE patch should be fine unless you're running something obscure or weird. As far as I know it's mostly just the .netframework that didn't get updates, and I can't even remember why I use it except for crash logs at this point.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Started a Daggerfall unity run on the weekend. When it finally stopped crashing and I could load into cities, I got a 30 month round trip to do a story quest with a 31 day time limit, but I can't do the dungeon anyways because I don't have the levitation spell and my climbing can't get me out of the tomb anyways.

See, that's the awesomeness the modern youth can't fully appreciate. :troll:

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Skyrim modding on the AE patch should be fine unless you're running something obscure or weird. As far as I know it's mostly just the .netframework that didn't get updates, and I can't even remember why I use it except for crash logs at this point.

Did you enable smaller dungeons in DF Unity?

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Maybe I'm just weird, but I feel like letting the player make the conscious (or even unconscious, to a degree) choice to do something other than the MQ is way more appealing than trying to actively design around the problem so that there is no MQ at all or some other trickery.

Not the Messiah
Jan 7, 2018
Buglord

Yeah seconding this, I installed SE for the first time last week to have a play through after a few years off and all the mods I've installed have either worked perfectly with no issues or the download page has had two versions, one for the Anniversary update and one for the last version prior.
I think the update mainly affected some memory address stuff so model changes, texture packs etc would have no problems, it's the more script heavy stuff that has incompatability issues - but again unless you're looking at stuff that hasn't been updated in a while you'll probably be fine (even then, someone might have unofficially updated it if you look around a bit)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Jack B Nimble posted:

Did you enable smaller dungeons in DF Unity?

Yeah. The couple dungeons I did prior to my dead end weren't too bad, but I've seen what some vanilla Daggerfall maps look like.