Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
https://www.vox.com/2022/6/21/23172734/biden-trip-saudi-arabia-foreign-policy-tension-oil-human-rights

quote:

“Look, human rights is always a part of the conversation in our foreign engagements,” a senior administration official said at a recent briefing. That’s a much softer message than putting human rights at the center.

:roflolmao:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

When a capitalist talks to you about human rights, it means they have nothing to offer on the table

-Xi, probably

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

Drive me further into the arms of PSL forever, dems, do it

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
I mean, besides Biden, are Machin and Sinema somehow not the face of the Dems at the moment? Even if you're only ever in the press because you're the x in "x blocks legislation" you're still in the press

THS2
Oct 2, 2021

One day closer to the destruction of the democratic party

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

fast cars loose anus posted:

I mean, besides Biden, are Machin and Sinema somehow not the face of the Dems at the moment? Even if you're only ever in the press because you're the x in "x blocks legislation" you're still in the press

somehow all of the other democrats are soooo mad at these 2 for preventing them from doing all those things they would definitely love to do, but none of them have made any effort to discipline or replace them and never will. bernie panders wrote an oped in a west virginia newspaper about how manchin was bad and all the other dems started hissing and spitting at the breach of decorum

MLSM
Apr 3, 2021

by Azathoth

ex post facho posted:

get his rear end chris

I got probed in D&D for posting that article and one of the mods came in and started calling hedges a Russian asset

My jaw hit the floor

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот
d&d is a bad forum with bad guiding principles and bad moderation and the worst posters on the site and you shouldn't post in it

MLSM
Apr 3, 2021

by Azathoth

MSDOS KAPITAL posted:

it's important to remember the difference between protests (against injustice) and demonstrations (of power)

no one in the halls of power pays much attention to the former because there is no need to whatsoever. by "protesting" you are already resigning yourself to a situation where you have no power. if your goal is to appeal to the better angels of the people oppressing you or whatever nonsense, then you've already lost. you're really better off doing literally nothing.

demonstrations they do pay attention to, but I don't know if the US has had a demonstration in my lifetime. I think occupy kinda maybe began to resemble one in the very early days but then a conscious and deliberate choice was made not to do that. it could have happened at a couple points during the george floyd protests as well, but somehow there were always enough liberals with megaphones to drown out truly revolutionary voices, and literally lead people into dead-ends where they could be easily kettled, brutalized, then arrested by police, well before things got to a critical mass

I think the US is just too good at disrupting mass movements before they can get off the ground. they've had a lot of practice. they're probably murdering something on the order of 100 MLKs every year well before you hear about it and before they're influential enough for anyone to care. in the meantime obviously nothing is being done to address material concerns, so all that can happen is that conditions will continue to deteriorate. the next time something sparks people to consider open revolt again, things will probably get even hairier than the gf protests, but they'll use the same tactics to subvert those and they'll probably be successful again as well. only when things get so out of hand that it starts to disrupt the operational integrity of the intelligence and law enforcement communities is there any hope of even demonstrating enough power to get anyone to listen, much less actually changing anything. I suspect we're a ways away from that still but who knows.

we will get there eventually though :) because we're already heading in that direction and there is absolutely nothing in place capable of changing that direction for precisely the reasons stated

I’ve thought this for years because when you think about it it’s so easy for people in power to whack people with impunity especially when they own the media

Like we have letter agencies who’s sole purpose is to disappear people and make it look like an accident or someone else did it lmao :patriot:

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Zvahl posted:

d&d is a bad forum with bad guiding principles and bad moderation and the worst posters on the site and you shouldn't post in it interact with it in any way, shape or form

THS2
Oct 2, 2021

MLSM posted:

I got probed in D&D for posting that article and one of the mods came in and started calling hedges a Russian asset

My jaw hit the floor

i will conced Hedges is a Russian asset if they will concede every journalist who has hosted a show on CNN, MSNBC, or Fox News is a US state department asset

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

THS2 posted:

i will conced Hedges is a Russian asset if they will concede every journalist who has hosted a show on CNN, MSNBC, or Fox News is a US state department asset

Hedges is a rusian stooge but brown moses is a legitimate journalist :laffo:

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Zvahl posted:

d&d is a bad forum with bad guiding principles and bad moderation and the worst posters on the site and you shouldn't post in it

i mean, cyberbullying them does have a certain charm, especially when you stick to the truth like their being rape apologists and all.

THS2
Oct 2, 2021

Excelzior posted:

Hedges is a rusian stooge but brown moses is a legitimate journalist :laffo:

Thats different

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

its not fair that the eve thread got chosen to be cia stooges with cushy free money jobs. i posted waggle is for babby daily in the ycs wii thread with the highest degree of patriotism and yet i get nothing!

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug

THS2 posted:

I mean they literally just loving hire dudes like James Clapper directly these days, they're not even subtle about it

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

MLSM posted:

My jaw hit the floor

it's cool how 2022 is like 2017 all over again wrt people finding any reason to shout about fake news and russia

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Srice posted:

it's cool how 2022 is like 2017 all over again wrt people finding any reason to shout about fake news and russia

they think they solved all the problems of 1993 so they keep doing the same poo poo over and over again in case that year ever shows back up again

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

I will enjoy the Democrats wailing "SEE WE TOLD YOU HE WAS PUTINS PUPPET" when this happens

Homocow
Apr 24, 2007

Extremely bad poster!
DO NOT QUOTE!

Pillbug

1glitch0 posted:

What's going to be great is when Trump wins in 2024 and immediately dumps Ukraine for whichever reason you chose to believe, prices comes back down, and the democratic party doesn't see the White House for a generation.
b-b-but we impeached him! twice!!

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

Zvahl posted:

:yeah:

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

LastInLine posted:

The fact that the dems need a data scientist to inform their position on something that should be determined by morality and values tells you everything you need to know about the democrats

A data scientist tells you where you are in convincing the electorate of your positions. Positions are things you hold because you believe in them, not things to be determined by where the electorate is.

I will never ever be able to understand how there are people out there without a belief in ANYTHING and yet there are so many libs.

1. republicans and fox news start ranting about gay marriage/ trans people/ mexicans
2. republican voters get angry about whatever tucker is outraged about this election
3. dem data scientists poll voters and find out that republican voters are angry and passionate about whatever tucker told them to be angry and passionate about
4. dems move towards this new position to win over republican voters

see, you crazy folks saying the dems are deliberately following the republicans rightward are all wrong. it's very objective and scientific. They're just following the data.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I'm still mad at William Blum getting credential checked and dismissed because Bin Laden had his book.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

MonsieurChoc posted:

I'm still mad at William Blum getting credential checked and dismissed because Bin Laden had his book.

they should hold condi rice to the same standard

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Shear Modulus posted:

they should hold condi rice to the same standard

I will not rest until Nintendo apologizes to everyone for the violent video games that inspired bin laden and his followers: Super Mario Bros. and Yoshi’s Island DS.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

mawarannahr posted:

I will not rest until Nintendo apologizes to everyone for the violent video games that inspired bin laden and his followers: Super Mario Bros. and Yoshi’s Island DS.

ff7

Alamani57
Dec 15, 2010

Is Hedges actually a partisan or is he someone who has been exiled from Western platforms and took advantage of a foreign power's offer of a soap box. Hedges critiques of a deeply decayed America that is losing grip of it's imperium appeals to Muscovy, true, but his arguments and writings stand on their own merits. He has largely shared the same perspective since 2008: Democrats are incapable of reform, christian Fascists will seize power after a series of military/economic/political crises at home. He's worth listening to for calling long term trends alone.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Alamani57 posted:

He has largely shared the same perspective since 2008: Democrats are incapable of reform, christian Fascists will seize power after a series of military/economic/political crises at home. He's worth listening to for calling long term trends alone.

yup, i remember this because i was talking to a friend and we were like this guys alright, but this christian fascism stuff is nuts during early obama lol

THS2
Oct 2, 2021

yeah hedges used to come across as excessively doom and gloom and talking about “Spiritual Death” - i thought it sounded a little ridiculous. i guess i got owned

tiberion02
Mar 26, 2007

People tend to make the common mistake of believing that a situation will last forever.

THS2 posted:

yeah hedges used to come across as excessively doom and gloom and talking about “Spiritual Death” - i thought it sounded a little ridiculous. i guess i got owned

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Zvahl posted:

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

There's also Pelosi when she's punching left and/or sundowning.

Schumer's basically a non-entity at this point, though.

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
lol

quote:

TUESDAY, June 21, 2022 (HealthDay News) -- A new rule that would require tobacco companies to slash nicotine levels in cigarettes could be issued Tuesday by the Biden administration.

Not that one should defend cigarettes, exactly, but they will take every pleasure you could possibly get in this hellworld from you

Also obviously smokers will respond by smoking more cigarettes and therefore having more shots at getting cancer

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

lol

Not that one should defend cigarettes, exactly, but they will take every pleasure you could possibly get in this hellworld from you

Also obviously smokers will respond by smoking more cigarettes and therefore having more shots at getting cancer

Tempting, but this hasn't been the historic relationship between nicotine levels and smoking

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
Maybe I'm wrong, then. Is it just not connected?

As an ex-smoker I just assume that's how I'd have reacted if I were still smoking and something like that happened

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Maybe I'm wrong, then. Is it just not connected?

As an ex-smoker I just assume that's how I'd have reacted if I were still smoking and something like that happened

Again, Discerndo Vox already made an post about this very issue. There’s new evidence.

Acelerion
May 3, 2005

I've often wondered if Chris Hedges was a little too doom and gloom but he kept being right and now I just kind wonder when he is finally going to call for open revolution

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Acelerion posted:

I've often wondered if Chris Hedges was a little too doom and gloom but he kept being right and now I just kind wonder when he is finally going to call for open revolution

I don't follow Twitter left celebrities, what has he been right about?

pissinthewind
Nov 11, 2021

MAYBE JUST LET PEOPLE SMOKE WHATEVER THEY WANT INSTEAD OF SLOWLY BANNING ANYTHING EVEN REMOTELY ENJOYABLE THANKS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Griz
May 21, 2001

actually they don't (link) but I bet they're gonna jack up the cigarette tax again, and that does drive people to switch to unfiltered rollies, pipe tobacco, or vapes.