Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

It's a bad movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
Although, last I heard apparently one of the FunkoPops! for that movie is one of the most expensive and rare ones out there (because they didn't actually get merchandising rights for Tom Cruise's likeness or something like that so they had to recall the ones of his character).

And we can't forget that trailer they uploaded where they forgot to put in the sound effects.

I hope we get a book about the Dark Universe, because it sounds like it was a poo poo-show from top to bottom. For every decent idea there were at least two dumb ones.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

theironjef posted:

Still love that Vanity Fair photo of the future stars of the Dark Universe with poor Boutella standing there just knowing she's not the "real" franchise mummy. Like if there was a future of Marvel shoot in like 2008 and it was RDJ, Hemsworth, Evans, and Geoff Bridges.

She is really entertaining in everything and needs more roles

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Only thing I remember about The Dark Universe Presents: The Mummy is that stupid fight between Cruise and Russell Crowe as Mr. Hyde. I actually forgot the movie ends with Tom being the mummy now, lol.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

FilthyImp posted:

Blade is a hit and then the followup is Blade v Dracula v Wolfman v Frankenstein's Monster.

meanwhile Sony cashes in by folding Man-Wolf into the Sony Universe of Spider-Man Villains Who Never Met Spider-Man. He never turns into a wolf.

Codependent Poster posted:

lol if you think Mahershala Ali won't be awesome

He'll do just fine, but only one man could deliver "MOTHERFUCKER ARE YOU OUTTA YOUR drat MIND" the way it deserves

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

More and more people asking for K N U L L

It's Knullin Time

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Crowe as Hyde owned. Dude knew what movie he was in and just had fun out there.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

FilthyImp posted:

Blade is a hit and then the followup is Blade v Dracula v Wolfman v Frankenstein's Monster. Just go full Marvel Monsters, with the finale movie being against the Cancerverse.

More like Blade v. Morbious v Werewolf by Night v Franken Castle.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

catlord posted:

Although, last I heard apparently one of the FunkoPops! for that movie is one of the most expensive and rare ones out there (because they didn't actually get merchandising rights for Tom Cruise's likeness or something like that so they had to recall the ones of his character).

...They need likeness rights for FunkoPops? But they don't actually look like anyone

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Splint Chesthair posted:

Only thing I remember about The Dark Universe Presents: The Mummy is that stupid fight between Cruise and Russell Crowe as Mr. Hyde. I actually forgot the movie ends with Tom being the mummy now, lol.

Don't forget the trailer that got uploaded with only grunts and stuff. :lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRqxyqjpOHs

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

meanwhile Sony cashes in by folding Man-Wolf into the Sony Universe of Spider-Man Villains Who Never Met Spider-Man. He never turns into a wolf.

I won't lie, I would go see a movie that was just 120 minutes of Michael Keaton's Vulture trying to explain who Spider-Man is to a bunch of C-list Spider-Man villains who have never heard of Spider-Man. Here's a scene from Sony Pictures' "The Gibbon:"

VULTURE: So, are you in or out?

GIBBON: Yeah, sorry, I'm just still kind of confused. Spider-Man is...?

VULTURE: [pinches bridge of nose] Okay, for the last time...he's a high school kid who took my kid to prom. He's got super-powers, he stopped me from stealing some poo poo from the Avengers...

GIBBON: Avengers?

VULTURE: Wait, stop, forget it, don't worry about the Avengers, we're talking about Spider-Man!

GIBBON: And you want to kill this Spider-kid?

VULTURE: Well...I mean, yeah but no. Like, he beat me up and put me in prison, but I kinda respect him, you know? He's a good kid, but now I want to... [pause] To be honest, I'm not exactly sure where I'm at with him right now.

GIBBON: Yeah, all right, that's...I'm just going to leave, okay?

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Vintersorg posted:

Tom Cruise's screams would make a fantastic ringtone.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Veotax posted:

...They need likeness rights for FunkoPops? But they don't actually look like anyone

Yeah at this point I've seen so many for so much obscure poo poo I kind of just assumed they just make them working under the doctrine that it's better to ask forgiveness than permission.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Tom Cruise is famously very protective of his likeness rights so even something like similar hair probably was enough for him to go after them.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

muscles like this! posted:

Tom Cruise is famously very protective of his likeness rights

yeah it's the property of the church of scientology

Veotax
May 16, 2006

That's fair enough. I kind of assume that things like FunkoPops and LEGO minifigures are generic enough that you don't really need likeness rights.
After Disney dropped Carano for being a piece of poo poo (loudly) her character and likeness disappeared from all Mandalorian merchandise pretty quickly, with the exception of one LEGO set released since. I assumed that only got released since the minifig of the character only looks somewhat like her and cartoony and not being actually modelled on her.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The character doesn't necessarily have to go away. Disney easily could just use Cara Dune in animation and completely separate her from Gina Carano.

Or just recast, obviously.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Maybe they could even find someone who can act this time

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Aphrodite posted:

The character doesn't necessarily have to go away. Disney easily could just use Cara Dune in animation and completely separate her from Gina Carano.

Agreed, I liked the character and I'd like her to stick around. Carano can gently caress right off though.
Disney needs to stop being afraid of recasting, both for situations like this and stop using AI & CGI to de-age actors.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

twistedmentat posted:

Was that because Tom Cruise was going to the The Mummy? I never bothered watching it because the movie looked bad and it seemed way to enamored with the concept of someone having two irises. It almost feels like the movie was built around that shot. Like how Oz the Great and powerful almost feels entirely build around the shot of the Wicked Witch crying and her tears scarring her face.

Because witches can't get wet. The dumbest weakness ever. I'm sorry, Wizard of Oz is an amazing film in so many ways, but that was just dumb. As Futurama put it "How could a small amount of water ever get on me!!!"

The best take on this is from Wicked. Where the rumour that the Wicked Witch of the West will melt if she gets wet is started by superstitious town folk.

So at the end when the Witch decides to fake her own death, she does so by playing into the rumour that water will melt her.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Aphrodite posted:

After Disney had to mobilize their own twitter, Ewan McGregor, and even Anson Mount for some reason to defend the very concept of a Black Inquisitor against an onslaught of racist bullshit, I would not envy whoever gets recast in the role last held by every chud's favorite muscle lady.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Recast Cara Dune with Frankie Adams. You get another muscle lady who also is a giant pacific islander lady. That would really piss off the chuds.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Just create a new character, not everyone has to come back and have more adventures and that's just fine. It's a lesson they should apply to a host of Star Wars characters really. It's a big loving galaxy, there's plenty of room to find new people with stories worth telling.

Lager
Mar 9, 2004

Give me the secret to the anti-puppet equation!

twistedmentat posted:

Recast Cara Dune with Frankie Adams. You get another muscle lady who also is a giant pacific islander lady. That would really piss off the chuds.

Or get Valerie Adams.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Sentinel Red posted:

Just create a new character, not everyone has to come back and have more adventures and that's just fine. It's a lesson they should apply to a host of Star Wars characters really. It's a big loving galaxy, there's plenty of room to find new people with stories worth telling.

Because she’s a Mandalorian side character and having recurring friend/associate characters like that enhances a show.

Creating new characters to occupy the same role because you don’t have a specific guest star anymore is stuff bad shows like Star Trek do.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Vintersorg posted:

historically accurate
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G8qhrURrQbI

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Aphrodite posted:

This makes total sense but I predict it won't happen because for some reason people just don't do it anymore.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

TwoPair posted:

This makes total sense but I predict it won't happen because for some reason people just don't do it anymore.

Taylor-Johnson is Kraven in the Sony-verse. :3:

https://twitter.com/mcu_direct/status/1539062995602526208

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Yeah but Kraven wasn't played by anyone before and Taylor-Johnson hasn't been in the rich Spidey-without-Spidey Cinematic Universe before.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
Oh god atj is so loving boring in every role he’s in,poo poo casting.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

An animal lover, so I guess no lion face vest or suplexing of grizzlies?

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Kraven the Animal Lover doesn't really have the same ring to it. Something along the lines of Pete Postlethwait's character in The Lost World would be better - respectful but ready to put a lion into a figure four leglock if it comes down to it.

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
Kraven works for PETA so he gets to kill a lot of dogs & cats.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Kraven destroying poachers works for me, especially if they want to make him a hero.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

This sounds like a terrible idea, but that didn't stop Sony from making Morbius, so...

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

Codependent Poster posted:

Kraven destroying poachers works for me, especially if they want to make him a hero.

Okay, but that’s like… a completely different character. Why even have him be Kraven at that point?

FlamingLiberal posted:

This sounds like a terrible idea, but that didn't stop Sony from making Morbius, so...

But surely this time they’ve learned their lesson, right?

Oh right, these are the Humblebragging Spider-Man Does Tough Mudder people. Never mind :)

Random Asshole fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Jun 21, 2022

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Random rear end in a top hat posted:

Okay, but that’s like… a completely different character. Why even have him be Kraven at that point?

Because Sony only has so many Spider-Man characters they can use, I guess? I dunno.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Sony can't make up new Marvel characters, and without the Spider-Man connection even fewer people would see it.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Kraven was like one of a very small group of major Spider-Man villains who had never been in a film. Which is disappointing because you could make a good film with him as either the main villain or a secondary one. It looks like in the sequel to Sony's 2018 Spider-Man game, we are getting both Venom and Kraven, which I think is a good mix.

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

Aphrodite posted:

Sony can't make up new Marvel characters, and without the Spider-Man connection even fewer people would see it.

Is that actually true, though? How many people saw Morbius because they were like “oh yeah, that guy is a b-list Spider-Man villain, I definitely want to see a movie starring him!”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

B-list is extremely generous.