Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

Yapping Eevee posted:

And the implementation of Data Centre Travel, so all the Primal goons can go to Crystal for ERP sightseeing.

no need, hyperion is already the sightseeing capital of primal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

With all this data center travel stuff I wonder if its finally time to let accounts transfer from 1 region to another. I still have to use my old address in germany to buy expansions, make sure i'm using the EU store, and pay my sub in euros, this is bullshit.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
Billing and character management are almost certainly very different processes on the back end, so even if they have it doable for one of them it may not even be possible for the other.

Unfortunately, they haven't gotten region transfers working for either of them, because DC travel is restricted to your region. EU characters can only visit EU DC's, JP can only visit JP, and so on.

Onean fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Jun 21, 2022

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Onean posted:

Unfortunately, they haven't gotten region transfers working for either of them, because DC travel is restricted to your region. EU characters can only visit EU DC's, JP can only visit JP, and so on.

IIRC, it's a design limitation and not a technical one. They mentioned that the reason that cross-region DC visit is restricted is because they're worried that it might cause cultural clashes, such as due to differing ways of doing things in PFs or different economies, etc.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Oh shiiiit

https://twitter.com/SOKENsquareenix/status/1539264123866710016?t=QQWnvfthBhFPYj6BtBacww&s=19

The wait for them to put up on Spotify is killer tho

derra
Dec 29, 2012
Is there a way to see number of dungeons qualifying for the achievement run by each tank? I have all the EW titles but want to keep runs in parity in preparation for the next set.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

Onean posted:

Billing and character management are almost certainly very different processes on the back end, so even if they have it doable for one of them it may not even be possible for the other.

When they announced it they said it does work between physical data centres, they just aren't going to turn it on because they think the Japanese player base will get mad if tourists transfer over.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

a group of American Roegadyns dressed in Hawaiian shirts gawping at the catgirls standing around in JP Limsa

YoshiP: "Nightmare!"

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
I was just randomly thinking about the Stormblood Dark Knight questline.

gently caress.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

derra posted:

Is there a way to see number of dungeons qualifying for the achievement run by each tank? I have all the EW titles but want to keep runs in parity in preparation for the next set.

Are you talking about the mount achievements? If so the best thing to do is get a group of likeminded tanks and slam your face into unsync Normal Deltascape 3 over and over.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Hey, please sell me on FF14 because the dress up seems divine but I'm on the fence:

What I like:
-Dress up, especially if it is free or cheap. Bonus if there are outfit slots irrespective of actual armor.

-SOLO play. I bounce between games a lot and play most games solo. If teaming up is like Warframe where you can get auto-matched for specific content, that's cool.

-The FF games, overall. I've played almost all of them.

-The jobs/classes being accessable by one character where swapping is free/fast.

What I don't like:
-Aggressive micro transactions.

-Monthly sub fees. I can tolerate it if the game is fantastic but knowing I'm paying makes me feel trapped and that I shouldn't play anything else.

-Grinding for gear that is 1% better. I don't mind repetitive content so long as the rewards are somewhat meaningful.

Is FF14 good for brand new players?
I've played a lot of Korean online games and the info overload is severe and puts me off right away.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Inzombiac posted:

Hey, please sell me on FF14 because the dress up seems divine but I'm on the fence:

What I like:
-Dress up, especially if it is free or cheap. Bonus if there are outfit slots irrespective of actual armor.

-SOLO play. I bounce between games a lot and play most games solo. If teaming up is like Warframe where you can get auto-matched for specific content, that's cool.

-The jobs/classes being accessable by one character where swapping is free/fast.

What I don't like:

-Monthly sub fees. I can tolerate it if the game is fantastic but knowing I'm paying makes me feel trapped and that I shouldn't play anything else.

-Grinding for gear that is 1% better. I don't mind repetitive content so long as the rewards are somewhat meaningful.

I've played a lot of Korean online games and the info overload is severe and puts me off right away.

The free trial is free until the end of the first expansion, so you can play until 60 without subbing or buying the game. Grinding for gear is solely an endgame thing, and it's pretty much always an improvement to just go up in ilvl.

The dressup game is immaculate, though it's slightly more cumbersome to glamour (transmog) items than you may be used to due to spaghetti code.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

The microtransactions are extremely passive. But if you like dressup as much as you say you do, you may be hard pressed to ignore them

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I've bought maybe two outfits ever, the real trap is the emotes.

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.

Inzombiac posted:

What I don't like:

The only micro transactions are for cosmetics. You could not even see them in game until a patch or two ago, so that's pretty nonexistent for play.

The free trial is really good so you have quite a bit to see if you like it before getting logged in. Even then, you're not gonna die if you take some time off.

If you're into raiding and stuff you can grind for equipment. That's for real endgame stuff and is not at all needed to play the game normally.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

There is microtransactions, but they never feel aggressive. Like it isn't busting down my door with a million notifications about the chicken suit or whatever I can buy in the cash shop.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

Most of the cash shop outfits are just for coaplaying as other characters- most are single piece outfits so you can't even mix and match.

You can find plenty of pieces for most any look in-game.

...admittedly the cash shop butler and maid uniforms are still very popular options. But even those can be approximated easily.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Inzombiac posted:

What I don't like:

The micro transactions exist but arent aggressive (until you start going to official apps and sites and stuff that arent the game itself). Re: gear grinding. that sort of situation does pop up once youve gone through all preexisting content, but its structured so only the current patch equipment is gated to that degree and its specifically meant to prepare for the hardest content in the game at that time; most of the grinding done by the playerbase is for glamour and the devs seem to recognize that.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Honestly they would get MORE money out of me if we were allowed to dye the outfits that are from the NPCs. I'd love Y'shtolas big black dress but I want it in pink

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

And yeah even at endgame you can get by almost entirely on dungeon gear, which it just throws at you in heaps. I've only very rarely had to actively work on gearing.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

It's potentially a good match for you, but you need to see if you vibe with the story as that is a very big part of the game and you need to get through quite a lot of it before the dressup side really opens up. The free trial is probably a good option for you to see that, and will keep you busy for quite a while before you need to start subscribing

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The only time you need super high end gear is if you are endgame raiding and only a small number of glam options are hidden there

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

For monthly subs, there's nothing within the playable content itself that forces you to keep a sub. You can play at your own pace and take breaks for a couple months if you want. There are encouragements to keeping a sub like player housing or limited time events, but if you're not engaged by either of those then you don't have anything to worry about.

For bleeding edge gear, there is generally a new tier of gear that rolls out beginning every eight months or so, but it's not required to do anything but the currently hardest level of content. What I also see when people worry about gear treadmills is fear of random stats, which this game doesn't deal with. Generally a week after a new tier is out there's a BIS list for every job out there, and it's both set in stone for the next eight months and is absolutely not needed if you don't care about keeping up to date with the hardest content in the game.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
XIV doesn't do tiny incremental gear upgrade grinding the way Diablo or WoW does. Really the only issue I see is that XIV is a subscription MMO, but you can play a big chunk of them game entirely for free forever.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Inzombiac posted:

It's literally as simple as equipping a different weapon. You'll unlock a gear set for every class/job and you can drag the class icon from that to a hotbar and it will equip you with everything you have registered as that job with the push of a button. One character can learn every single job in the game. Armor and accessories are also shared between roles (tank, healer, melee, physical ranged, and magical ranged DPS) so you'll get a ton of mileage out of that gear.

mikemil828
May 15, 2008

A man who has said too much

Inzombiac posted:

What I like:

What I don't like:

-There is a transmog system (called Glamour) that you can use to change the look of your current equipment to something else with certain restrictions (such as the level of the equipment you are glamouring must be equal to or greater to whatever you are making it look like (essentially you can't make lv.1 gear look like lv 90 gear)

-There has been a greater emphasis on solo play in the recent patches and now you can do just about all content from lv1 to lv 50 solo using duty support which gives you AI Team mates. In future patches they will extend this system to most of the dungeons from lv 50 onward. However there will be content you will have to do with other people, such as certain end of expansion dungeons, trials (8-man content used for major boss fights), raids and other high end content.

-FF14 is pure distilled FF

-You can change classes outside of combat at any time. You can play all classes using one character.

-There is a store that you can buy things like character outfits, old seasonal outfits, dyes, and various types of content skips (Leveling Skips and Story Skips), other than through dream fitting you don't really encounter it in game.

-There is a monthly sub fee, however they have that free trial you may have heard of.....

-You don't have to grind for gear if you don't want to.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Inzombiac posted:

What I like:

What I don't like:

Yeah, it should be a good fit, besides the monthly fee, which is real. You can play a free trial account up until level 60 (and the end of the award winning expansion Heavensward!) though. It has some annoying restrictions, but it's fine for getting a feel for the game.

The game is basically build to allow you to complete all story-relevant content without a pre-formed group. Everything* is on the duty finder (basically matching with random people), and because of the roulette system it's never a long wait to get a group. They incentivize players to run a "duty roulette" of different categories every day, where you just get matched with someone wanting to do anything in that category. So you sign up for leveling roulette, you could end up in any dungeon from level 15 to 90.

The endgame gear situation is always very straightforward, and doesn't involve grinding for 1% more efficiency unless you're doing bleeding edge raid content. There are always good catch-up options, you won't be grinding for months to do the latest content, you can pay gil or tomestones for gear that are easy to get your hands on.

The dress-up system is very deep. Not only is there copious amounts of purely cosmetic gear, but there's a whole glamour plate system, that allows you to set up an outfit and apply it to any gear. It's not perfect, you can only apply plates in major cities, but it makes it really easy to set up and keep your look consistent. The only big problem is that you have to put gear in the glamour dresser, and that has limited space (it's like 400 pieces of gear... but you do run out eventually).

The only micro-transactions are either a) story and level skips or b) cosmetics. This includes fancy mounts, special outfits, and the ability to redesign your character from the ground up. You can change the hair style and color, but everything else is only available with a $10 bottle of fantasia. It can be irritating to see some cool new mount that people are riding around on, but I've never felt compelled to spend on anything except fantasia (because I am very indecisive).

*Everything except the Coils of Bahamut raid, but you can do that unsynced with like one or two other people, or even solo if you're brave enough.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

yes the game is good for new players. there are a lot of tutorials, and the game purposely starts off quite slow as it assumes you've never played an MMO before. the game tries to explain as much as it can, most people skip past all of those little help popups but they contain good info if you're very new.

broken pixel
Dec 16, 2011

The only time I’ve grinded for gear in FFXIV is for glams, and that includes my time savage raiding. I suppose if you don’t like playing the endgame content, it could feel grind-y, but it’s by and far the lowest gear grind obligation MMO I’ve ever played.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Inzombiac posted:

What I don't like:

There are three kinds of microtransactions.

1) Story skips. This is pretty much "I want to get an alt to endgame without redoing the entire story". 100% optional.

2) Job level boosts. This is just to skip the work of leveling alternate jobs up on your main. IMO the leveling process is pretty fast and painless if you do not buy the boosts, this is just if you're the kind of person who would rather spend $25 than spend time.

3) Cosmetics. This stuff is all 100% optional and has no effect on your gameplay. It's just for looking pretty. There are some unique looks that are only available from the cash shop, but there's plenty of good stuff you can get without ever touching the cash shop.

As for the monthly sub fees, FF14 is designed to be the kind of game where you can just finish all the story content and new raids, and then unsub until there's a new content patch without really losing out on anything*. You can finish all the story content, then unsub for a few months so you can do other things guilt free, and then just sub for a month or two again when a new patch drops. Lots of players do this.

*If you have a house, you'll need to keep a sub because if you go too long without entering your house it'll get repossessed so somebody else can use it. The window here is like 30-45 days or something, though, so it's not a real 'got to log in every day' kind of worry.

mikemil828
May 15, 2008

A man who has said too much

Vitamean posted:

For monthly subs, there's nothing within the playable content itself that forces you to keep a sub.

Other than technically a house, and good luck getting one of those.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

feel like I addressed that in my post

derra
Dec 29, 2012

Madmarker posted:

Are you talking about the mount achievements? If so the best thing to do is get a group of likeminded tanks and slam your face into unsync Normal Deltascape 3 over and over.

Let me rephrase -

I have all the current mount achievements. I am rotating through my tanks to start getting credit for the next round. Is there any way of seeing how many dungeon credits I have per tank so I can choose appropriately?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Does the demolition timer apply to apartments?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Since updating my OS to 10 I'm having performance issues whenever other players are on screen. Previously my graphics cards fans would only whir up desperately if I was in Limsa or something, but now it happens even when a pretty small number of people appear. On a couple of occasions the game has even started full-on stuttering, both in pretty innocuous locations with little traffic.

I've turned down the number of people rendered options, and have limited effects for other players. There should be an option to make every other player model appear as the generic trailer WoL in a simple potato sack outfit, and every vehicle a company chocobo. Save my graphics card's megabytes.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

lol whoops wrong thread

Mazed fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Jun 21, 2022

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Nessus posted:

Does the demolition timer apply to apartments?

No, you keep those forever. Rooms in the FC house get trashed if you're kicked or the FC dissolves though

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Arist posted:

The free trial is free until the end of the first expansion, so you can play until 60 without subbing or buying the game. Grinding for gear is solely an endgame thing, and it's pretty much always an improvement to just go up in ilvl.

To expand on this, it isn't like WoW or other MMOs where everything's funneling you into the current endgame and you'd hit level 60 in an hour. It's more like "we think this is a good book series, and you get the first two novels for free." There's some things free trials aren't allowed that cuts down on bots but also encourages people to buy into the game, but it's quality of life things like using the market board or how much gil you can carry. As far as the actual game's concerned there's no paid-only dungeons or bonus loot or something.

It's very story-heavy. If that's your jam then from the listed likes/dislikes I think you'll enjoy it. If you try to rush through that to where it "gets good" it's very easy to burn out.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Yeah I think it's important to to in expecting ffxiv to be a jrpg with multi-player elements, at the end of which you're allowed to play an mmo if you want. It doesn't feel very mmoish as you're progressing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

The story is very good but also very long and if you're on the free trial it kind of ends after it gets really good.