Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
3GB of photos is nothing.

You've got two options: Get a new phone with more storage, or enter the 21st century and put your photos in the cloud. You could pay a couple bucks a month for additional iCloud storage, let the phone manage the photos and you'd be fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weedle
May 31, 2006

get a used 128gb 8 plus. with a 32gb phone you’re doomed to janitor your storage forevermore

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Weedle posted:

get a used 128gb 8 plus. with a 32gb phone you’re doomed to janitor your storage forevermore

That would be a waste of money. It's going to be 5 years old soon and the 8 is the oldest phone that supports iOS16.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
If you got an SE then you’d still have touchID, and basically the same form factor but in a modern phone.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

The Lord Bude posted:

If you got an SE then you’d still have touchID, and basically the same form factor but in a modern phone.

It doesn't seem like it's as big, though. The 7 Plus is ~3.07 inches wide, while the SE is ~2.65, according to Wikipedia. If I were to upgrade, I'd want something the size of the Pro Max. I'd miss having a home button, though. (I can get by without touchID if it comes down to it.)

The 8 Plus does honestly seem kind of intriguing. I'll think about it if this phone gives up the ghost.

Backstory on how I purchased this phone: I had a flip phone until a few years ago. Then I got hired. I realized I needed a smartphone in a hurry in order to have internet access everywhere, so I went to my local used computer store and said, "Give me the physically largest iPhone you have."

The rest is history.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Quackles posted:

It doesn't seem like it's as big, though. The 7 Plus is ~3.07 inches wide, while the SE is ~2.65, according to Wikipedia. If I were to upgrade, I'd want something the size of the Pro Max. I'd miss having a home button, though. (I can get by without touchID if it comes down to it.)

if that’s the case then maybe wait until this fall when they release the non-pro max. no touch id but it’ll be way better for games

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Weedle posted:

if that’s the case then maybe wait until this fall when they release the non-pro max. no touch id but it’ll be way better for games

I don't know if they'll release one. They didn't for the 13.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Jose Oquendo posted:

I don't know if they'll release one. They didn't for the 13.

Yeah, but all the rumours this year have been 14, 14 Max, 14 Pro, and 14 Pro Max

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

101 posted:

Yeah, but all the rumours this year have been 14, 14 Max, 14 Pro, and 14 Pro Max

Well yeah the 14 is going to have DLSS upscaling for better gaming performance and circle pads too, they'd be silly not to have a larger screen.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

endlessmonotony posted:

Well yeah the 14 is going to have DLSS upscaling for better gaming performance and circle pads too, they'd be silly not to have a larger screen.

:rolleyes:

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Rumors are worthless and we all know it.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Gotta agree with that. The rumors all indicated there would be no iPhone 13 mini. On the computer side, there were rumors for things earlier this year that never happened.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

endlessmonotony posted:

Rumors are worthless and we all know it.

https://appletrack.com/leaderboard/

It's worth paying attention to certain pundits. and if Gurman and Ming-Chi Kuo both claim something, it's probably worth staking your money on.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

Quackles posted:

It's video game screenshots :v:

Also, my phone says that my photos take roughly 3 GB of storage, but the phone is 32 GB and the rest of it is stuff I don't really want to delete (the aforementioned games, totaling maybe ~10 GB, and iOS itself, at 14 GB).

So I'm just trying to find space anywhere.

Also, for privacy reasons, I don't want my photos to leave the device / my local computer.

You live your life the way you want to OP, but also I'm laughing at the refusing to use cloud storage because of privacy concerns for your .. video game screenshots?

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

The Grumbles posted:

You live your life the way you want to OP, but also I'm laughing at the refusing to use cloud storage because of privacy concerns for your .. video game screenshots?

I'm assuming they're referring more to having to adopt all of their storage to the cloud which is much more reasonable, but privacy is still a valid concern even if the contents of what's put out there may be non-consequential.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

The Grumbles posted:

Yep.

The thing is, privacy works best when it's normalized - when everyone is used to keeping their info private and expecting it be private, whether it's the trade-secret plans for an invention that'll change the world... or just random screen caps.

Though I doubt anyone wants to see my stuff, I'm doing my part, at least.
Maybe I can get people to follow my example.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

Quackles posted:

Yep.

The thing is, privacy works best when it's normalized - when everyone is used to keeping their info private and expecting it be private, whether it's the trade-secret plans for an invention that'll change the world... or just random screen caps.

Though I doubt anyone wants to see my stuff, I'm doing my part, at least.
Maybe I can get people to follow my example.

Privacy in the local data storage sense of the word stopped being normalised about a decade ago and I don't think you not signing up for icloud is going to change that, but also these devices are built and designed with cloud storage in mind - so if you're really mindful about being off the grid privacy-wise I'd genuinely suggest getting a dumbphone or some kind of wack homebrew android distro rather than trying to swim upstream against hardware expressly meant to hang off centralised accounts/cloud stuff/etc.

edit: i respect the hustle though

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

If everyone else threw all their nudes off a bridge into a big box that said “lol just use the cloud bro privacy is dead anyway” would you do it too?

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Kirios posted:

I’ve got an iPhone 7 for dev testing and I can’t imagine people still using it as a daily driver. That’s some commitment!

I did up until 2 weeks ago, when I dropped it on the pavement at just the right angle to shatter the screen. So I was looking at Ł150~ for a new screen vs Ł500~ for a shiny new SE, and, well, I have a new (RED!) toy now.

I'd probably still be using the 7 now but for that. It had some battery-draining-a-bit-fast issues but other than that it did what I wanted it to, so...

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

History Comes Inside! posted:

If everyone else threw all their nudes off a bridge into a big box that said “lol just use the cloud bro privacy is dead anyway” would you do it too?

If by nudes you mean screenshots of Final Fantasy Tactics stats screens then absolutely

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I don't need The Man laughing at my lovely RPG builds

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

…Other people…don’t do this?

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

Kirios posted:

I’ve got an iPhone 7 for dev testing and I can’t imagine people still using it as a daily driver. That’s some commitment!

I'm still using an original generation iPhone SE. It's still a great phone. I recently picked up a refurbished MacBook at the Apple Store, and while waiting I tried out the new iPhones on display. The new phones didn't meaningfully seem much faster than the one I'm using.

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde
I seriously have no idea why Notes stores notes on a local folder on my phone and also on the cloud and they aren’t duplicated between the two. Maybe because local Notes are ones I’ve made on cellular and Cloud ones when I’m on WiFi? Need a better app for just simple lists and stuff

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Cat Hassler posted:

I seriously have no idea why Notes stores notes on a local folder on my phone and also on the cloud and they aren’t duplicated between the two. Maybe because local Notes are ones I’ve made on cellular and Cloud ones when I’m on WiFi? Need a better app for just simple lists and stuff

I like Google Keep.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Cat Hassler posted:

That's definitely not a normal thing. Go to settings-->notes and make sure the default notes is the one that's in the cloud.

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.

Quackles posted:

I just set up a Shortcut to size the last screenshot down by 50%, but Automator doesn't have a trigger for 'when I take a screenshot', sadly.

make a personal automation that runs at a specific time each day and does the following:

find photos where is a screenshot and width is greater than 1024
loop over results:
- resize item to 1024 x auto height
- save resized image to wherever (recents album, some album you create)
- delete original item

replace 1024 with whatever max width works for you
the first time you run it it will take a long time because shortcuts are slow as poo poo, but from then on it will be fast unless you take 400 screenshots a day

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I had to go to the Apple store today to get one of my AirPods replaced and holy gently caress do I hate the Apple store experience.

Booking an appointment is a neat idea but if I’m going to have to make my way through a gauntlet of employees who all make me repeat myself to actually get to attend it when I get to the store, then 3 different people who all ask me to explain the problem so they can type it into their little iPad and then pass me off to the next person to do that again until one of them actually does something to fix my problem, then just give me a customer service desk and a line to stand in I beg you.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

It's kind of amazing that the "Genius Bar" concept still even exists, even in as blurry a form as it's evolved into. Seemed like the kind of idea that would get laughed into oblivion within a year of the first stores opening up.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Data Graham posted:

It's kind of amazing that the "Genius Bar" concept still even exists, even in as blurry a form as it's evolved into.

I posit: the evolved form of the Genius Bar is the Geek Squad. :v:

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

I had to go to the Apple store today to get one of my AirPods replaced and holy gently caress do I hate the Apple store experience.

Booking an appointment is a neat idea but if I’m going to have to make my way through a gauntlet of employees who all make me repeat myself to actually get to attend it when I get to the store, then 3 different people who all ask me to explain the problem so they can type it into their little iPad and then pass me off to the next person to do that again until one of them actually does something to fix my problem, then just give me a customer service desk and a line to stand in I beg you.

the thing is there is vanishingly few if any other electronics/computer brands that even offer someone you can talk to in person to fix things. it's something we grumble about a fair bit as apple fans and for good reason, but i don't think you can just walk into a samsung store (maybe a best buy? idk) and have someone who can actually go "okay, yeah, battery is dead like you thought, we'll replace it and you come back at like 4:30?"

e: to be clear, I mean for consumers. I know businesses can buy on-prem support contracts and the like.

Arivia fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Jun 22, 2022

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

It’s also worth trying their chat support options too. I’ve been able to initiate a few repairs just with that.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

I've only had to take one thing in for repairs. It was an iMac since there's no option to mail those in. I didn't have that much trouble. I walked in, checked in with the greeter and went back to the Genius Bar.

Same for purchasing stuff that I've ordered online. Walked in, checked in, and they got me with a sales person to finish everything up.

I know sometimes people get a bad experience but by and large it's one of the better retail experiences.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I hate buying Apple poo poo because it feels like all the available salespeople are having 15min conversations with people that don't know what they want to buy yet.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The solution is to pick what you want with Apple.app and schedule a pickup, you'll be in and out in five minutes.

Biggest problem is coming up with small talk with the person helping you as you stuff is brought out from the back.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

TOOT BOOT posted:

I hate buying Apple poo poo because it feels like all the available salespeople are having 15min conversations with people that don't know what they want to buy yet.

Since the stores re-opened, you need to make an appt for any sort of purchases for stuff that's not on the retail shelves so that's not really a problem now.

But like xzzy said, just buy it online and pick up in store. In and out.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I just buy it from Best Buy since it’s usually cheaper there anyways

Apple store does 1hr courier service for $9 though, I used that for my last MacBook purchase.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

xzzy posted:

The solution is to pick what you want with Apple.app and schedule a pickup, you'll be in and out in five minutes.

Biggest problem is coming up with small talk with the person helping you as you stuff is brought out from the back.

Or if it's a small item, grab it off the shelf and ring yourself out in the Apple Store app.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
Apple stores (at least here in Australia) always seem to have absurdly good staff:customer ratios. There always seem to be like 20 people on the floor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
Having worked in adjacent retail for years, honestly there’s a reason Apple is the gold standard. For what they do, they absolutely are not perfect, but holy hell do their stores handle a poo poo load of customer volume.

Other posters are correct, like, most customers have an idea what they want, but they don’t plan ahead, and even if they have an idea, people want to ask someone questions because they don’t trust themselves (which is true, the customer is not always right after all).

And yeah, even with an appointment (never go there without an appointment) , the Apple store can still be a good bit of time. That said, they’re the only one that does what they do in a way that customers can handle and trust. Best Buy is def the alternative , although Best Buy now a days really wants you to sign up for their yearly thing (I guess Apple does too).

Small random thing: the only one of the 4 carriers that had repair techs of any sort in their stores was Sprint, so now that T-Mobile bought them out, no phone carrier does any type of in store repairs whatsoever other than the general “have you turned it off and on?” Troubleshooting. And SIM swap stuff.