Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014

quote:

"Per a source with knowledge of the intended strategy, the NFLPA currently is bracing for a recommendation by the league of 'unprecedented' punishment of Watson," Florio wrote.

"The source explains that the NFLPA would defend Watson in part by making an aggressive argument premised on the consequences, or lack thereof, imposed on a trio of owners who recently have found themselves embroiled in off-field controversy. The argument will be that the punishment of Watson is not proportional to the punishment of those owners, especially in light of this key line from the Personal Conduct Policy: 'Ownership and club or league management have traditionally been held to a higher standard and will be subject to more significant discipline when violations of the Personal Conduct Policy occur.'"

Break out the popcorn, cause I'm not defending Watson at all, but I want to see how much of a mess the NFLPA makes of ownership.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way
On one hand, "yeah this is bad but what about THOSE guys" is a piss-poor defense

On the other hand, I'm perfectly okay with Watson having a piss-poor defense that somehow also manages to gently caress with owners

Like the ideal here is his defense gets absolutely nowhere (because gently caress him) but also makes life a bit messier for lovely owners

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

In a statement, Watson said “release the Rub Tape, cowards.”

Obviously this does nothing to change the fact that he should be suspended forever and/or serve jail time, but it would also be hilarious if the league’s refusal to deal with this in a responsible way brought down Kraft or Jerruh or something as a side effect.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Yeah this will be the time the NFLPA really gets what they want and drives a hard bargain.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
I don't think it's likely Cal himself knew anything about this or about anything at all. I'm reminded of the story of Sage Rosenfels going in his office and there was no furniture and Cal was sitting on the floor playing Xbox

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014

Intruder posted:

I don't think it's likely Cal himself knew anything about this or about anything at all. I'm reminded of the story of Sage Rosenfels going in his office and there was no furniture and Cal was sitting on the floor playing Xbox

I can't imagine a team knowing that their star QB is doing something so shady that the team wants to supply him with an NDA and absolutely no one ever running it by the owner. Plus Rosenfels was last on the Texans in 09, things have changed just a bit since then.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

What if Watson was the one to get the rub tapes released??

But also banned from the league for life.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

syzpid posted:

Break out the popcorn, cause I'm not defending Watson at all, but I want to see how much of a mess the NFLPA makes of ownership.

I think Roger is still the guy who hears appeals?

good luck with that NFLPA

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

No Butt Stuff posted:

Yeah this will be the time the NFLPA really gets what they want and drives a hard bargain.

Also, this is the time that the NFLPA cares about women.

I mean, support the union, gently caress the owners and all that but the NFLPA could of worked with the league on a system before this.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
That is a bad argument just on the premise of "don't you think the league would like to be free of Daniel Snyder?"

It isn't that easy lol

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Snyder knows where the bodies are buried just like everyone else.

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
Actually I agree; we should hold him to the standards of the owners

Jerry Richardson was forced to sell because of sex pestery and racism, therefore Watson must be forced to retire

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

fast cars loose anus posted:

Jerry Richardson was forced to sell because of sex pestery and racism, therefore Watson must be forced to retire

BUT not before he gets a statue outside the Browns stadium.

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby

Codependent Poster posted:

It was, to nobody's surprise, Mary Kay Cabot.

So she is terrible but ignoring who asked the questions for a sec:

Wouldn't him counter-suing open the door for even more discovery, get him on the stand, etc and overall be hugely detrimental to his career?

If it wasn't MKC bringing it up, I'd have some hope that the reporter was trying to goad him into doing something really dumb

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

fast cars loose anus posted:

Not sure you’ll love that standard. What happened to the patriots owner when he was discovered doing rather similar behind closed door acts, again? Oh yeah

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
Kraft was paying for that specific thing though, not forcing himself on massage therapists who didn't want to do sex work

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

Yeah I mean it's not a great look, but there is somewhat of a difference here between Kraft going to a rub house and a QB signing up specifically for something non sexual and then assaulting these women.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Parallelwoody posted:

Yeah I mean it's not a great look, but there is somewhat of a difference here between Kraft going to a rub house and a QB signing up specifically for something non sexual and then assaulting these women.

and getting his team to legally protect him from future law suits.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Also I mean if you want Kraft gone, sure, I don't think you'd get that much pushback from fans.

Like the team would just go to his son who's been team president for forever.

I wish the old drunk gently caress would go.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!
The NFL got what they were hoping for

https://twitter.com/MySportsUpdate/status/1539274860437946368

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Wanna know what the price tag was for Justice.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Guess Watson decided he wasn’t adamant about clearing his name in a public forum.

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

Android Apocalypse posted:

Wanna know what the price tag was for Justice.

Less than $250 million, that's for sure.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Surely some enterprising Bengals or Steelers fan is prepared to setup a sting operation with masseuses wearing wires.

C'mon superfans. For a modest amount of hazard pay, you could easily burn the Browns organization to the ground.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Watson now knows better that he needs to leave the country next time.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Wow, I did not think to read that anytime soon. Maybe the NFL was like "for real Watson, settle these or you're done for multiple seasons?"

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
From a practical and horrific standpoint I honestly don't know why Watson didn't do this a year ago.

Just get out in front of it as much as you can and make it go away. But this is probably where we were always going to end up.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Wow, I did not think to read that anytime soon. Maybe the NFL was like "for real Watson, settle these or you're done for multiple seasons?"

Well 4 women are still not settling yet so idk

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Hubris? Didn't expect more allegations to come out? The Real Sports story + their ever increasingly bizarre press conferences were not helping.

Ayudo
Mar 30, 2006
It was reported earlier that Watson had reached a settlement figure of $100k for each vicitm, but didn't want the amount to be confidential so he could say he settled for a low amount.

Gotta wonder how much that figure moved to get 20 women to agree to settlement and have the amount be confidential.

Might be a sign the NFL suspension is coming down soon.

E: https://twitter.com/JosinaAnderson/status/1539286692028465155?t=Uqwd8hNKU5LUhC9mUoL1eA&s=19

Ayudo fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Jun 21, 2022

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
The settlement definitely helps Watson on the suspension end as showing some form of accepting some malfeasance.

My bet: gets suspended for 1 year, NFLPA knocks it down to 6-8, see Watson play the Bengals on Monday Night Football against the Bengals.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
My guess is the NFL also told Watson's team said, he needs to settle or else we have to keep him permanently suspended.

which they should do anyways, but the NFL and its players don't care about women so.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Mooseontheloose posted:

My guess is the NFL also told Watson's team said, he needs to settle or else we have to keep him permanently suspended.

which they should do anyways, but the NFL and its players don't care about women so.

Only thing is that he's not currently suspended and never has been.

But yeah, I think behind the scenes, the NFL is saying, or giving signals, that they'll be more lenient if he settles most/all of the lawsuits. With this many lawsuits settled, I'll be surprised if he gets more than 6 games at the end of the day.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

NFL broadcast producers furiously deleting various drafts, leaving only the "he dealt with some challenges over the offseason, but has fully put that behind him and is laser focused on leading his team to the super bowl" version :barf:

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

Docjowles posted:

NFL broadcast producers furiously deleting various drafts, leaving only the "he dealt with some challenges over the offseason, but has fully put that behind him and is laser focused on leading his team to the super bowl" version :barf:

There'll be minimum two thinkpieces about him being CPotY

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Forrest on Fire posted:

There'll be minimum two thinkpieces about him being CPotY

I think everyone involved from the league side is going to do everything they can to avoid talking about it at all.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

YOLOsubmarine posted:

I think everyone involved from the league side is going to do everything they can to avoid talking about it at all.

He was just on vacation for two years

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Nodoze posted:

He was just on vacation for two years

There are going to be some extremely strained circumlocutions no doubt. “During the past two years when Watson was not playing for off-the-field reasons….”

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Watson hasn't thrown an interception in 25 months!! wow!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

It would be really funny if Watson comes back for the 2023 season and after being out of football so long he just sucks rear end.