Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

DeadlyMuffin posted:

I'd ask you not to speak for "us trans people" on this one. Hillary Clinton, as secretary of state, made it possible for me to change the gender marker on my passport without surgery.

She's horrible in a lot of ways, but "Hillary Clinton has always been a transphobe" is dumb, and the article you're referring to is even dumber. There's a reason it gets readily debunked absolutely everywhere it's brought up.

I'm sorry what

Does every trans person who exists in the global south who got utterly immiserated by Clinton not count?

Hillary doesn't get credit for making things marginally better for trans folk in America when she's the propagator of such immense suffering to those in the imperial periphery

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

A big flaming stink posted:

I'm sorry what

Does every trans person who exists in the global south who got utterly immiserated by Clinton not count?

Hillary doesn't get credit for making things marginally better for trans folk in America when she's the propagator of such immense suffering to those in the imperial periphery

Hillary Clinton targeted trans people in the global south? It’s perfectly possible to give her credit for positive things she did in addition to condemning her for the negative.

If there’s a myriad of legitimate criticisms, why feel the need to make some up?

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

You people will by God act like a team, or at least like people who know each other, or I'll incinerate the bunch of you here and now.
Is there a better thread to take questions like this?

I could use some advice for a kiddo I'm supporting. I vaguely know that chest binding can do damage if you do it wrong--is that something I should look into for them? Any good resources out there (in general) for a teenage trans-male?

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Pixelante posted:

I could use some advice for a kiddo I'm supporting. I vaguely know that chest binding can do damage if you do it wrong--is that something I should look into for them? Any good resources out there (in general) for a teenage trans-male?
Planned Parenthood can often be a good resource on trans care. How queer friendly is their school/district/state? Their school might have a GSA with good supports, and guidance counselors can often have strong training.

Also with chest-binding in general, it isn't just a matter of binding correctly, but how long they're binding. My understanding is that you can't really do it all day, but I'm a boobs-wanter, so not speaking from lived experience.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Nucleic Acids posted:

Hillary being a TERF is just one of the absolutely least surprising things ever.

It doesn't seem like she is a TERF. It's a purposefully misleading headline that's not based on anything she said, don't fall for it.

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!
imo more concerning and impactful than what degree of lovely/opportunistic Hillary Clinton is on trans rights is, as Timeless Appeal pointed out, media outlets framing trans issues as extreme in order to try and weaken and undermine trans activism

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

Pixelante posted:

yeah it can, but good and not-harmful binders are quite affordable nowadays. I got my first binder from gc2b (neat, has a sale right now too). Still, don't bind more than 8 hours a day, take breaks when possible, and generally try not to bind too much as it can make your skin less amenable to healing well after top surgery - if that's something they're interested in later on.

edit:

Fritz the Horse posted:

imo more concerning and impactful than what degree of lovely/opportunistic Hillary Clinton is on trans rights is, as Timeless Appeal pointed out, media outlets framing trans issues as extreme in order to try and weaken and undermine trans activism

agreed. I'm less concerned about "losing" HRC because lol good riddance, but that framing of trans issues is worrying.

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~

DeadlyMuffin posted:

I found this one:

But I couldn’t find yours. Where’d it come from?

Edit: found this, which is kind of what you were saying, so maybe you mashed together two quotes?

i mean have i just lost it or do these being said in two parts not actually change anything

but anyway i'm also where timeless appeal is at pretty much, it feels like there's been a conga line of traditionally supportive or ambivalent names at least a portion of average people give deference to the opinions of coming out of the woodwork lately either consciously or as patsies to get primed as mouthpieces for transphobic reframing of our existence in general media and it's really disquieting, and i'm seeing it plenty in canada too

like no one bats an eye by now when expected sources like rowling or guardian uk keep pumping out bigotry even if they have a depressing amount of popular clout/following, but the window of acceptable discourse from acceptable outlets seems to be shifting more toward open transphobia in lockstep with harmful legislation which risks further or newly legitimizing dangerous action in the eyes of more and more ostensible allies as at least in open debate if not outright justified

Violen fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Jun 21, 2022

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
I think what we’re shifting towards a lot of moderate people taking the position of “Hey adults can do what they want, and trans people shouldn’t be harassed, but affirmation of their gender can only go so far.” Which seems like a reasonable opinion if you know nothing, and is also Ben Shapiro’s stated opinion on trans people.

Not to poo poo on straight and cis people, but I also think there is an issue where queer and specifically trans people think a lot about these issues, debate and discuss them, and then cis people swoop on and it’s time for the real discourse.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I want to hope that it's concentrated among older, established politico types who seem pathologically obsessed with conservatism via the medium of fence sitting. Younger kids are probably more likely to actually know someone this matters to, or to be directly affected by queerphobia themselves.

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS

Timeless Appeal posted:

I think what we’re shifting towards a lot of moderate people taking the position of “Hey adults can do what they want, and trans people shouldn’t be harassed, but affirmation of their gender can only go so far.” Which seems like a reasonable opinion if you know nothing, and is also Ben Shapiro’s stated opinion on trans people.

Not to poo poo on straight and cis people, but I also think there is an issue where queer and specifically trans people think a lot about these issues, debate and discuss them, and then cis people swoop on and it’s time for the real discourse.
Well, of course: conservatives typically fundamentally lack the empathy to believe anyone's internal monologue and internal sense of self actually deviates from "common sense" or "God's plan" or whatever: deviations are either a result of personal weakness and/or an attempt at deception and fraud ("pray the Gay away" to which I say, "Gay the pray away"). Moderates have their cult of reasonableness, wherein they pick a position between what they view as two extremes and confidently pronounce that they have taken the only reasonable position. Oddly, they always consider conservatives worth listening to and platforming, but never activists, for some reason. :iiam:

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

DeadlyMuffin posted:

Hillary Clinton targeted trans people in the global south? It’s perfectly possible to give her credit for positive things she did in addition to condemning her for the negative.

If there’s a myriad of legitimate criticisms, why feel the need to make some up?

do trans people not exist in the global south in you mind? all the immense suffering we inflicted on places like libya just didnt affect any queer people?

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

do trans people not exist in the global south in you mind? all the immense suffering we inflicted on places like libya just didnt affect any queer people?
I think the point you’re making is valid, but maybe be more direct. I think the questioning you’re doing can seem obtuse and easier to misinterpret than simply saying, “The global policies Clinton supported harmed many people including queer people lacking the same privileges as North American and European queer peoples.”

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
ok to be clear i think that we cannot say a politician is good for queer people if their foreign policies end up inflicting vast suffering on queer people outside of the country even if their domestic policies benefit us.

if we don't have each other's back then what loving hope is there?

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Timeless Appeal posted:

I think calling the article clickbaity is undermining a real concern though. I don’t give a poo poo what is in Clinton’s heart and soul, but it seems like the author was really horny for her to poo poo on trans activists . I think we’re seeing an emerging trend of the media trying to do what has been done with a lot of leftist or progressive causes to trans activism. Regardless of evidence and research, positions like access to trans care for trans kids, inclusion in sports, and gender inclusionary education are being allowed to be cast as extreme positions solely because they exist on the opposite end of a governor turning child protective services into storm troopers to kidnap trans kids. And regardless of Clinton’s intent in her response, the article is definitely taking serious moderate person Hilary Clinton and using her as a prop to moderate trans positions in the name of a cultish worship of moderation and not based on actual facts, data, or lived experiences or even what trans advocates believe.

Honestly irrelevant politician known for TERFy trains of thought saying a lovely thing is better than the reality I think the article actually reflects.

This is absolutely correct and made me feel sad and tired :smith:

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

Is generally lovely foreign policy transphobic because there are trans people in the global south? As far as I'm aware it's just generally bad, but isn't specifically targeting queer people.

Was there something in how Libya was handled that targeted queer people specifically?

ok to be clear i think that we cannot say a politician is good for queer people if their foreign policies end up inflicting vast suffering on queer people outside of the country even if their domestic policies benefit us.

if we don't have each other's back then what loving hope is there?

If a politician is good for domestic queer people but targeting those abroad I completely agree, I'm just not aware that this is the case. I don't *think* US foreign policy while Clinton was SoS specifically targeted queer people, but I'm open to being wrong

DeadlyMuffin fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Jun 21, 2022

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

DeadlyMuffin posted:

Is generally lovely foreign policy transphobic because there are trans people in the global south? As far as I'm aware it's just generally bad, but isn't specifically targeting queer people.

Was there something in how Libya was handled that targeted queer people specifically?

If a politician is good for domestic queer people but targeting those abroad I completely agree, I'm just not aware that this is the case. I don't *think* US foreign policy while Clinton was SoS specifically targeted queer people, but I'm open to being wrong

I believe the argument is that being a piece of poo poo towards the global south leads to larger net negative impacts to trans persons in general when compared to whatever marginally decent thing someone might do at home.

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

Bel Shazar posted:

I believe the argument is that being a piece of poo poo towards the global south leads to larger net negative impacts to trans persons in general when compared to whatever marginally decent thing someone might do at home.

Got it. I'd argue that progress at home and not being a piece of poo poo towards the global south are both good things that should be pursued simultaneously.

I'm a bit wary of where that argument leads, mostly out of skepticism that fixing economic conditions will automatically improve the treatment of trans people. That's why we need to push for both, and not give up on either.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

DeadlyMuffin posted:

poo poo rolls downhill, and trans people and other marginalized folks experience the worst harms from imperialism. It is transphobic, because the decisions we make lead to outcomes which are bad for everyone, but proportionally worse for trans people in the countries we target.

edit:

DeadlyMuffin posted:

I'm a bit wary of where that argument leads, mostly out of skepticism that fixing economic conditions will automatically improve the treatment of trans people.
Trans people are poorer than the general population, and it would be better if they weren't so poor. Economic status and social group identities are interwoven and feed back on each other.

cat botherer fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Jun 22, 2022

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
I get the reasoning, but I think it's probably painting with too broad a brush for useful conversation. Israel cries "antisemitism!" whenever there's even talk of a policy change that would negatively impact their ability to crush Palestinians beneath their boots, for example. If we boycott, divest, and sanction Israeli products then some Jewish people will indeed be affected negatively, yet to call that antisemitism throws all detail and nuance out the window. It's just not a useful way to talk about things.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

How are u posted:

I get the reasoning, but I think it's probably painting with too broad a brush for useful conversation. Israel cries "antisemitism!" whenever there's even talk of a policy change that would negatively impact their ability to crush Palestinians beneath their boots, for example. If we boycott, divest, and sanction Israeli products then some Jewish people will indeed be affected negatively, yet to call that antisemitism throws all detail and nuance out the window. It's just not a useful way to talk about things.
I see where you are coming from, but capitalism, imperialism, economic inequality, and social intolerance are so tightly linked, that while it is necessary to sometimes focus on one aspect, its still necessary to keep the entangled nature of these factors at the forefront - it does a disservice to people in every marginalized group not to.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

cat botherer posted:

I see where you are coming from, but capitalism, imperialism, economic inequality, and social intolerance are so tightly linked, that while it is necessary to sometimes focus on one aspect, its still necessary to keep the entangled nature of these factors at the forefront - it does a disservice to people in every marginalized group not to.

I agree that everything is tightly linked. But to bring it around to the original spark of this discussion:

"Hillary Clinton is a TERF / is anti-trans!"

"Wow, what did she say about trans people or do to harm them?"

"She's a political elite who presided over and fostered capitalist systems that immiserated trans people in the global south."

That just....doesn't seem useful. Like, ok, then every leader of every capitalist country on Earth (which is all of them) is also anti-trans and a TERF, by that reasoning.

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

cat botherer posted:

Necessary, but not sufficient. I think the focus purely on overall economic inequality at the expense of pushing specifically for LGBTQIA+ rights will leave people behind.

It's very easy to blame capitalism for everything, but it isn't like everything is glorious for LGBTQIA+ people under communism in China (although they're arguably pretty capitalist) or elsewhere.

My point is that we need to do both things: push for better economic policies towards the global south, *and* explicitly push for our rights here and elsewhere.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I think it depends on where you land regarding intention versus effect- Clinton's efforts to destroy the global south absolutely had a disproportionate effect on LGBTQ people, because everything bad always does, but I don't believe she did it out of transphobia- she did it because she's a racist, bloodthirsty monster. The negative effect on trans people probably didn't even occur to her as a factor, and I doubt it would have changed anything, but it wasn't the goal. We're talking murder one vs manslaughter, basically. My take would be that her actions are SoS don't paint her as intentionally transphobic, just as a callous, imperialistic murderer. Which is worse, honestly, but this is D&D so the technical distinction is god.

e: I do absolutely believe she's a transphobe, though. Just not because of this.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
Some positive news:

North Carolina will now allow people to change their gender regardless if they have had surgery or not! This is really great news as a NC Resident!

Biden is pushing for Title IX to fully protect trans people. This is inline with recent Supreme Court decisions, and will actually give the federal government power to push back against transphobic districts. The question is if push comes to shove, will the federal government threaten funding.

The German football federation is actually making play even more open to players which is nice in the face of recent bad stuff in the world of trans sports.

I have been feeling very down and defeated, and honestly, so thought I'd share some good stuff.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
So yeah, to go with today's Roe horseshit:

https://twitter.com/fordm/status/1540338064324698112

For those not familiar:

Griswold v. Connecticut is the right to privacy case that eliminated contraceptive bans.
Obergefell is of course same sex marriage.
Lawrence v. Texas is the really fun one, that's the one that eliminated loving sodomy laws.
Happy Pride month, here's a SCOTUS justice saying he wants to relitigate criminalizing sexual relations based on his religious beliefs.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
Even if they don't overturn Obergefell, I think my fear is that any law that is somewhat tangential to marriage will give the current court permission to go, "Well now that you mention it..." So, you're going to end up with a situation where nobody wants to bring a case related to marriage to the court even if states start sliding in discriminatory bullshit.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It is increasingly hard to see how the US can continue to function when half the country wants the other half dead, basically.

It's partly the case in the UK but the US seems to have it far more pronounced. Just a whole swathe of society whose total political contribution is making the entire world worse in every way.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

It's going to be a fun next few years.

The Democrat establishment will, of course, have zero understanding of why this doesn't drive votes to them.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

OwlFancier posted:

It is increasingly hard to see how the US can continue to function when half the country wants the other half dead, basically.

It's partly the case in the UK but the US seems to have it far more pronounced. Just a whole swathe of society whose total political contribution is making the entire world worse in every way.

It's not even half. The stupid electoral system allows about a third to dictate policy to the rest, enabled by indifference and/or spinelessness in another third.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Less than a third. Trump's portion of the popular vote to be elected was ~63m out of 153m registered voters, of an adult population of ~255m. So ~24%.

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

You people will by God act like a team, or at least like people who know each other, or I'll incinerate the bunch of you here and now.

Timeless Appeal posted:

Planned Parenthood can often be a good resource on trans care. How queer friendly is their school/district/state? Their school might have a GSA with good supports, and guidance counselors can often have strong training.

Also with chest-binding in general, it isn't just a matter of binding correctly, but how long they're binding. My understanding is that you can't really do it all day, but I'm a boobs-wanter, so not speaking from lived experience.

Hawkperson posted:

yeah it can, but good and not-harmful binders are quite affordable nowadays. I got my first binder from gc2b (neat, has a sale right now too). Still, don't bind more than 8 hours a day, take breaks when possible, and generally try not to bind too much as it can make your skin less amenable to healing well after top surgery - if that's something they're interested in later on.

Thanks for the thoughtful answers. Unfortunately, mom called me a dickhead therapist (*not a therapist) and pulled him from our program when she found out I was using his preferred name and pronouns. She thinks I'm encouraging mental illness and self-harm in a minor whose biggest problem is that she hasn't learned to love herself for who she is.

Welp.

Doing intake on another transkid this week though. A statistically significant number get referred to us for disconnecting from school and community.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Christ.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
xpost:

https://twitter.com/AP/status/1550459483113095168

it's time for aids crisis part 2! this time with queer people being demonized for infecting children with monkeypox when schools inevitably become superspreaders!

christ i loving hate how this poo poo happens every time

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Gotta love even the AP posting outright loving wrong poo poo to forward that homophobic narrative.

Monkeypox is vastly more virulent than an STI, and calling it one means people who should be seeking treatment will hesitate to avoid that shame and thus be infectious in the open for longer, as well as the problems with demonizing gay men over it.

Oh, and the 'groomer' calls are back after the head of the loving CDC made a crack in an interview last week how the infections seen in kids so far were 'traced back to the MSM community'.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Liquid Communism posted:

Gotta love even the AP posting outright loving wrong poo poo to forward that homophobic narrative.

Monkeypox is vastly more virulent than an STI, and calling it one means people who should be seeking treatment will hesitate to avoid that shame and thus be infectious in the open for longer, as well as the problems with demonizing gay men over it.

Oh, and the 'groomer' calls are back after the head of the loving CDC made a crack in an interview last week how the infections seen in kids so far were 'traced back to the MSM community'.

Yeah, it's absolutely mindboggling. IIRC as far as we know right now, intercourse is the one thing that isn't a vector. It's no more a STI than the loving common cold or Norovirus. I wouldn't be surprised if it was Fox News or whatever, but the loving AP getting in on this as well is just :psyduck:

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
gonna be as fun to reflect on as 2020 tweets telling you that masks do nothing to stop spread of covid

Antifa Spacemarine
Jan 11, 2011

Tzeentch can suck it.

it's time for aids crisis part 2! this time with queer people being demonized for infecting children with monkeypox when schools inevitably become superspreaders!

christ i loving hate how this poo poo happens every time

This is legit reckless via this kind of messaging, someone is going to lynch a queer person over this.

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!
On one hand, we do need to communicate well with the MSM community about symptoms, prevention, vaccination etc. for monkeypox.

On the other hand jfc this MTG tweet is bone-chilling.
https://twitter.com/caitlinmoriah/status/1551227872584429568

The people pushing the "groomers" bullshit are absolutely going to blame gay people for giving it to kids.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

"If"

Not sure Atlas was as load-bearing as that word tbh.