Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

The producer himself has invited people to play for a while, unsub, and then come visit later to see future updates if that's what works best for them. And that's not even counting the hundreds of hours of content you can get out of the free trial.

So yeah don't be afraid at all of the subscription part.

Group content seamlessly matches you with other people doing the same content if you don't have a pre-formed friend group to run it with. They're also adding in the option to run group story content with NPCs, though that's still ongoing and will probably be a year or two until all the relevant dungeons are set up for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

FuturePastNow posted:

The story is very good but also very long and if you're on the free trial it kind of ends after it gets really good.

it's really very clever. by the time the trial ends you're either long gone because you fell off somewhere around level 38 or you're completely hooked and have already bought the subscription and expansions

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

FF14 is basically when you bought an entire JRPG series bundle in a Steam sale and finally get around to playing it chronologically

Like, if you only play a few hours per day while also doing side content, it’s legitimately going to take at least a few months to get all caught up

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Regalingualius posted:

it’s legitimately going to take at least a few months to get all caught up

but also, this is perfectly fine

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Inzombiac posted:

Hey, please sell me on FF14 because the dress up seems divine but I'm on the fence:

What I like:
-Dress up, especially if it is free or cheap. Bonus if there are outfit slots irrespective of actual armor.

-SOLO play. I bounce between games a lot and play most games solo. If teaming up is like Warframe where you can get auto-matched for specific content, that's cool.

-The FF games, overall. I've played almost all of them.

-The jobs/classes being accessable by one character where swapping is free/fast.

What I don't like:
-Aggressive micro transactions.

-Monthly sub fees. I can tolerate it if the game is fantastic but knowing I'm paying makes me feel trapped and that I shouldn't play anything else.

-Grinding for gear that is 1% better. I don't mind repetitive content so long as the rewards are somewhat meaningful.

Is FF14 good for brand new players?
I've played a lot of Korean online games and the info overload is severe and puts me off right away.

you'll like it

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Yeah, or at least start with the free trial and see how you feel. It's literally like months worth of content so you'll definitly know by the time you hit the end

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

The one main thing that I would point out that would color everyone else's takes (which I do agree with) as to how someone from outside would approach them

is that the story in this game is a real thing and that unlike warcraft and (presumably) other MMOs, is that here you are encouraged to play through the whole story from level 1 onwards. this isn't one of those cases where all the REAL story/game happens at level 90-99 and everything up to 90 is bullshit you either want to or are made to skip. people still talk about big story beats in this game from the earliest days (setting aside the 1.0/2.0 discussion for the moment) and square is doing a pretty good job of cleaning up the early content to make it streamlined for people so they're not (as) bogged down in old systems while still getting to experience the stories and characters and such

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I mean there are people who have fun with the game without giving a poo poo about the story and just skip all of it, even regulars ITT, but yeah it's leaving really a lot of the value of the product on the table

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Well, consider me sold. The fact that paid outfits are not piece-meal means I'll never get one.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Inzombiac posted:

Well, consider me sold. The fact that paid outfits are not piece-meal means I'll never get one.

Honestly, I rarely ever see any of the paid outfits out in the wild. There are a ton of awesome pieces already in the game so I feel like most players just don't bother with the paid ones.

Also as a matter of personal taste I think most of them look way out of place or only good for cosplaying NPCs

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Inzombiac posted:

This isn't entirely true, but if you mean in the sense that outfits aren't sold chunk by chunk.

Most outfits come with a couple of pieces and they're usually simpler/all covering for the 'NPC's distinct costume' outfits. There are also things like demon wings and horns, fairy wings, butler/maid, etc. which tend to have three or four pieces, which you can use to mix and match.

That said, everything other than a few really specific looks is present in the models available through gameplay. Even the 2B outfit that makes your rear end bigger is a free drop (if in the paid parts of the game.)

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Inzombiac posted:

There are quite a few paid outfits that are piecemeal actually.

Edit: well I guess it depends on what you mean by piecemeal. Bought piecemeal? No. Comes in separate items? Yes.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Kerrzhe posted:

it's really very clever. by the time the trial ends you're either long gone because you fell off somewhere around level 38 or you're completely hooked and have already bought the subscription and expansions

They chose the exact right cliffhanger to end the free trial on and at that point I just have to applaud their savvy.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Xun posted:

Honestly, I rarely ever see any of the paid outfits out in the wild. There are a ton of awesome pieces already in the game so I feel like most players just don't bother with the paid ones.

Also as a matter of personal taste I think most of them look way out of place or only good for cosplaying NPCs
I have a couple of them but it's like a yukata and I think whatever set has the cheongsam in it, and that's just 'OK, I wanted a cheongsam.'

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Xun posted:

This is, I think, the big thing. Cool outfits and mounts aren't exclusively in the store and it's more about whether something speaks to you in particular. Not even special gear from particular dungeons (though there's plenty of that), occasionally I've equipped random stuff while leveling and thought "oh that looks really good". I've seen plenty of games with people showing off big fashion mounts or gear, but I don't think I've seen so much variety in what people choose to show off.

There's a reason they're doubling glam dresser storage space. As soon as we clear up spots it fills back up with more neat gear.

Bruceski fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Jun 21, 2022

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

What's a good class to roll first if I like summoning and punching?

Ideally at the same time but I'm flexible :)

Any class that lets me have a little dude run around and fight for me is S+ good.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Inzombiac posted:

Any class that lets me have a little dude run around and fight for me is S+ good.

Arcanist has a little buddy and can eventually become a uh, summoner

Pugilist punches and will keep punching as a monk.

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
Summoner actually does mostly work like that now :getin:

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?

Inzombiac posted:

Well Summoner’s can literally fire punch at higher levels... But pugilist/monk is your main goto puncher and will do that from level 1

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

The only non-silly outfit I've bought from the shop is the Collegiate uniform, simply because I wanted a nice pair of formal slacks and dress shoes.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Something to point out is Summonner no longer has a little dude fight for you. It's more like you summon a little guy to do an attack and oherwise your pet stays there giving you moral support. And a shield.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

the pet class in this game is kinda weird, the pet is not actually targetable by mobs and won't tank for you, but you do kinda use it to cast spells, and it transforms. summoner is a pretty cool caster class now after the rework (it used to feel a lot like a WoW affliction warlock being focused on pets + dots but now it's very different and pretty unique)

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

The moral support is very powerful, let it be known

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Summoner is also extremely efficient because it simultaneously levels Scholar for you at the same time, since they share the Arcanist experience bar. It's probably how I'm going to get the healer role quests done since I have no plans to seriously play a healer.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Twibbit posted:

Well Summoner’s can literally fire punch at higher levels... But pugilist/monk is your main goto puncher and will do that from level 1

Hnnnngggggg okay I'm gonna start today!!

Been playing a lot of Path of Exile lately because you get to have a whole army of monsters fight for you but I'm burned out on the gameplay.

Good to hear the FF14 story is good/important. I got pretty tired of GW2's story because I just didn't give a poo poo about the signature heroes.

Edit: Wait, is Summoner a proper class?
I should start as Archanist first? I'm a little confused on how that works out.

Inzombiac fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Jun 21, 2022

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

One thing that I'd like to point out is that a large number of the paid outfits/pieces were available for free during holidays and got tossed onto the shop afterward to make room for new rewards. Just stay on top of doing the limited events and you'll get a number of things for free several times during the year.

Even then the old holiday stuff tends to be cheaper than the store-exclusive items so if you see a holiday reward from prior years you want you're usually looking at a smaller purchase than the NPC cosplay ensembles and the like.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Inzombiac posted:

Been playing a lot of Path of Exile lately because you get to have a whole army of monsters fight for you but I'm burned out on the gameplay.

Good to hear the FF14 story is good/important. I got pretty tired of GW2's story because I just didn't give a poo poo about the signature heroes.

All of the base game jobs start out as 'classes', once you complete their level 30 class quests you get an equippable crystal that turns them into their true job form. Arcanist is the base class for both Summoner and Scholar jobs, and a result they share an experience bar. No other class/job functions this way, it's just a funny leftover quirk from when A Realm Reborn was still brand new and kinda janky.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Inzombiac posted:

Yeah, all ARR jobs start as classes and at level 30 you get a soulstone that upgrades you to the Job. Arcanist evolves into Summonner AND Scholar based on the stone, so you get 2 jobs at once! (Scholar being a pet healer who lets the fairy heal while spamming Bio strategizes a lot)

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Okay, perfect. Thanks!

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Inzombiac posted:

The base classes from ARR are a little weird, in that you start as a lower tier class and then promote into the proper Job Class from a quest at level 30, provided you're far along enough in the main story to unlock the feature. I don't think the exact point gets proper signposting, last I recall it feels a little arbitrary but if you beeline the main story quests I don't think you'll notice. Arcanist unlocks Summoner and Scholar, which is also weird, as it's the only class with two associated Job Classes that level up at the same time.

Post-ARR classes all start as proper Job Classes and don't require promotions to get to full functionality.

E: f;b

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.

Inzombiac posted:

Summoner starts as Arcanist. All the starting classes will upgrade to a proper job around level 30 (and Arcanist gets the option to be both Scholar or Arcanist; it's the only class in the game that splits like that).

It's worth noting that you can pick up any and all classes as you play, though; you're not locked into just the one class you pick at character gen.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Like with many odd design choices in this game, the answer to why the class/job situation is so weird/clunky is: "It's 1.0's fault".

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Zonekeeper posted:

Like with many odd design choices in this game, the answer to why the class/job situation is so weird/clunky is: "It's 1.0's fault".

Can we blame 1.0 for housing then

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

If you tell me there is player housing with decorating I will likely explode.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Inzombiac posted:

There is! There are limited housing slots per-server and they're hard to get, but you can probably get an apartment pretty easy!

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

You're probably never going to get a house but you can get an apartment room to decorate at least yeah lol

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Houses are sold in a lottery, but

A) you can only get one on a subscription account

B) there’s very little that’s still free to buy, and the lots that are are going to be getting a lot of bids

There have been some mentions of a personal “island sanctuary” coming in future patches, but details are scarce

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Inzombiac posted:

oh buddy,

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Inzombiac posted:

brother, you're gonna shid

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

Inzombiac posted:

The paid costumes are mainly three categories; cosplay of NPC character from this and other FF games, event items from old holiday events, microtransaction sets that were backported from the Korean/Chinese versions of the game.

Usually there's lots of options that you can buy from the marketboard in game. The one big case this isn't true is one of the expansions is set in fantasy asia but basically all the asian casual clothes (as opposed to battle armour) are paid.

Here are the pages that have most of the paid costumes. If you DO want to buy something from there, keep in mind that there's usually a big sale during the summer some time.

https://store.finalfantasyxiv.com/ffxivstore/en-us/category/1
https://store.finalfantasyxiv.com/ffxivstore/en-us/category/3